PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Vala in season 10 (spoilers & speculation for S9)

ShadowMaat
September 10th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Since folks were looking for a poll with slightly wider options, I'll make my own suggestions into an "official" poll:

Would you like to see Vala become a main character in Season 10?

* YES! Vala rocks!

* Yes, as long as it isn't at the expense of someone else on the team.

* No, she's an okay character, but she's better in small doses.

* NO! I can't stand her!

I vote for NO! I can't stand her! The "small doses" are still too much for me. ;)

And keep in mind that this poll means MAIN character, not recurring. That means, as Qasim said in the other poll, that she would be in EVERY (or nearly every) ep. In this case, for all intents and purposes, it would probably mean her joining SG-1 as an official team member.

However, if you can think of a way for her to be main without being on the team, feel free to explain. :)

wolverine_nl
September 10th, 2005, 08:34 AM
* YES! Vala rocks!

But, only when she evolves to a character that has peace with her past and doesn't do the text-book-case thing anymore, because that lady on Cimmeria that healed people, that went through Thor's hammer, she didn't have those goald aftereffects that Vala seems to have.
If she really starts to evolve into a more serious character, then I would like her to be in bigtime, otherwise * No, she's an okay character, but she's better in small doses.

but i would want her in as a main character, not so as a member of sg-1, but more a freelancer-role, an advisor, she know allot of stuff, control spaceships, she knows the spacecriminals.

AGateFan
September 10th, 2005, 08:36 AM
I will go with this one "No, she's an okay character, but she's better in small doses." This to me means No to full time SG-1 team member but Recurring like Jacob or Bra'tec.

I could perhaps, possibly, in some known universe go with this one "Yes, as long as it isn't at the expense of someone else on the team.". But the story would have to be really, really well done and make sense and Vala would have to have some changes to her character including being integrated into the team, slowly (something like Mitchell). She would need to be just in the background for a while actually supporting the other team members, then later when it’s her turn again; they could have another ep that was more centered on her.... But like I said that would take some really, really fancy writing and at this point I’m not sure TPTB could pull it off especially if they are so in love with writing Vala the way she is now.

EDIT: However, if we never saw her again, I wouldnt shead a tear.

Freyrs
September 10th, 2005, 08:36 AM
NO! I can't stand her!
If Vala never comes back I'd be pleased. She was a plauge on the series and a poorly written character with no depth. Not to mention all the sexual references which drove me insane. No offense to Vala fans.

Qasim
September 10th, 2005, 08:39 AM
I vote for NO! I can't stand her! The "small doses" are still too much for me. ;)

And keep in mind that this poll means MAIN character, not recurring. That means, as Qasim said in the other poll, that she would be in EVERY (or nearly every) ep. In this case, for all intents and purposes, it would probably mean her joining SG-1 as an official team member.

However, if you can think of a way for her to be main without being on the team, feel free to explain. :)I voted 'No I cant stand her' - Please do explain (if you can) the problem on my poll was that some people wanted her back and didnt want her to replace anyone but were completely unable to explain how this would come about

TechnoBoY
September 10th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Only if they write the character right. If not then no I dont want her in the show. But then again thats like any character isnt it.

ShadowMaat
September 10th, 2005, 08:56 AM
I voted 'No I cant stand her' - Please do explain (if you can) the problem on my poll was that some people wanted her back and didnt want her to replace anyone but were completely unable to explain how this would come about
Your options were yes, no, maybe, and I don't know.

As has been said on the discussion thread for that poll, it doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room. A flat-out YES implies yes no matter what, even if it means her "replacing" an existing team member. Likewise, your NO implies a flat-out no, which could mean "no, never again" whereas some might want to see her again, just not full time.

This poll gives people an opt-out if they want to see her full-time, but NOT at the expense of someone else. It also gives them the chance to say No to full-time, but with the clarification that they like her, but prefer her in small doses/recurring rather than full time.

It's just a little more flexible is all. Not everyone can give a flat-out yes or no to a question like this and "maybe" and "I don't know" are too vague to be of much use.

Qasim
September 10th, 2005, 09:00 AM
I voted 'No I cant stand her' - Please do explain (if you can) the problem on my poll was that some people wanted her back and didnt want her to replace anyone but were completely unable to explain how this would come about

Your options were yes, no, maybe, and I don't know.

As has been said on the discussion thread for that poll, it doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room. A flat-out YES implies yes no matter what, even if it means her "replacing" an existing team member.

This one gives people an opt-out if they want to see her full-time, but NOT at the expense of someone else. It also gives them the chance to say No, but with the clarification that they like her, but prefer her in small doses/recurring rather than full time.

It's just a little more flexible is all. Not everyone can give a flat-out yes or no to a question like this and "maybe" and "I don't know" are too vague to be of much use.I apologise I didnt make my response clear enough I wasnt actually asking you to explain this poll - I think its a good idea

By 'Please explain' I was agreeing with this part of your first post
However, if you can think of a way for her to be main without being on the team, feel free to explain. :)and by problem I meant that on my poll people were not explaining

GateGipsy
September 10th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Yes, she rocks, but I don't want to lose a member of the current team.

I loved the character, thought she was fiesty and funny, and not afraid to use her sexuality as a weapon!

ShadowMaat
September 10th, 2005, 09:06 AM
By 'Please explain' I was agreeing with this part of your first post and by problem I meant that on my poll people were not explaining
Ah. Sorry. Haven't had breakfast yet (despite it being lunch time), so I'm not catching all the details. ;)

I'd be kind of curious about the explanations myself, especially since I don't understand how someone can be main cast and NOT be on the team. Unless you view people like Landry as being full-time castmembers. I always thought of Hammond and crew as being recurring. He shows up more often than, say, Bra'tac, but he's still not in EVERY ep and he isn't going out there every week with the team.

Mattathias2.0
September 10th, 2005, 09:07 AM
I voted 'Yes, as long as it isn't at the expense of someone else on the team.' I do not want her replacing any team member, or recurring for that matter.

After the cast changes which have occured since Season 6... I'd like not to ponder how to remove someone else off, when we have a full crew (a general, 4 SG-1 members on a team, and a Chief Medical Doctor... just like old times!).

I do like Vala as a character and wouldn't mind seeing her back, maybe even a regular, but not at the expense of another character, given we haven't even gotten to know Mitchell and Landry, and their interactions with the others we do know (Carter, Teal'c and Jackson).

In general, I think the question is atleast 3 seasons ahead of its time.

Qasim
September 10th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Ah. Sorry. Haven't had breakfast yet (despite it being lunch time), so I'm not catching all the details. ;)

I'd be kind of curious about myself, especially since I don't understand how someone can be main cast and NOT be on the team. Unless you view people like Landry as being full-time castmembers. I always thought of Hammond and crew as being recurring. He shows up more often than, say, Bra'tac, but he's still not in EVERY ep and he isn't going out there every week with the team.Even if you do view Landry or Walter as a full-time member - Vala could never have a role like that

As for Bra'tac people keep saying 'I would like her back as a recurring character like Bra'tac perhaps every 4 eps' - since when does Bra'tac or any other recurring character recur every 4 eps or extremely often (I would say every 4 eps is extremely often)

FoolishPleasure
September 10th, 2005, 09:16 AM
I enjoy Vala's quirky personality and would love to see her back. I voted, "Yes, but not at the expense of the team".

Bringing her in as a recurring character would be fun, and she wouldn't be interferring with the team's actions.

Simonthefurling
September 10th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Yes, Vala rocks!

She's a breath of fresh air. I would still like to see Sam in the show but I wouldn't mind seeing Vala take Sam's place on SG1, perhaps making Carter a series regular but in a more 'on base' role. To be honest in those 6 episodes she made Sam look boring.

aAnubiSs
September 10th, 2005, 09:28 AM
YES!

Would be nice to have a former Goa'uld on the show. Should help with all kinds of stuff. And I love the character.

IMForeman
September 10th, 2005, 09:31 AM
I love Vala! But I think Vala should have a more Bra'tak like presence on the show... as in she pops up occasionally. She's a great deal of fun, but too much of a good thing...

-IMF

Osiris
September 10th, 2005, 09:38 AM
I voted for the second option. I explained my choice in the other poll thread.

Capt. Voronokova
September 10th, 2005, 09:48 AM
I voted for the "small doses" option.

Vala can be a breath of fresh air, but she can also become stale over time. I was getting very sick of her by the sixth episode this season. Her character by nature (and meaning nothing against Ms. Black's excellent performance) is a scene stealer. Personally, I got overdosed on her and wished they'd staggered her appearances in episodes throughout the season. (It's not like they haven't filmed things out of order before).

I think if Vala was on as regular cast, it would either end up toning down her character too much that she wouldn't be the interesting rogue that attracts many people to her, or the show would end up being about her, which is what many other people hate about her, and it's a team/ensemble show.

I've seen in other places a comparison that Vala is to Daniel like Harry Maybourne is to Jack. I like that analogy, and like the idea of that occasional interaction, a la the recurrence (and character development) of Maybourne.

Plus, Joe Mallozzi has pointed out there's only budget for so many regular stars, and I'm not willing to see any of the current SG-1 leave.

And thanks ShadowMaat for the poll!

Lord Zedd
September 10th, 2005, 09:53 AM
I voted for yes she rocks. First I didn't like her that much in Prometheus unbound but in season 9 we get to know her way better and personly I think it would be good for the show to have a 'rookie' in the SG.1 team. Some of you may think that Col. Cameron Mitchell is a 'rookie' because he is all new but if you saw the episodes from the beginning TPTB made him look like a worthy and capable leader with lot of experience going off world. So I think it would be good for the show to have a rookie on board. She can always become a 5th member. It doesn't say that an SG team needs to have 4 members so actually I am hoping that Claudia Black keeps up the good acting work of season 9 and perhaps joins the cast as a main character. Thanks for listening to my opinion,even if you don't share it ! ;)

chocdoc
September 10th, 2005, 10:33 AM
I voted for the "small doses" option.

Vala can be a breath of fresh air, but she can also become stale over time. I was getting very sick of her by the sixth episode this season. Her character by nature (and meaning nothing against Ms. Black's excellent performance) is a scene stealer. Personally, I got overdosed on her and wished they'd staggered her appearances in episodes throughout the season. (It's not like they haven't filmed things out of order before).

I think if Vala was on as regular cast, it would either end up toning down her character too much that she wouldn't be the interesting rogue that attracts many people to her, or the show would end up being about her, which is what many other people hate about her, and it's a team/ensemble show.

I've seen in other places a comparison that Vala is to Daniel like Harry Maybourne is to Jack. I like that analogy, and like the idea of that occasional interaction, a la the recurrence (and character development) of Maybourne.

Plus, Joe Mallozzi has pointed out there's only budget for so many regular stars, and I'm not willing to see any of the current SG-1 leave.

And thanks ShadowMaat for the poll!

Ditto. I'd like to see her as a recurring character, not a regular, for the reasons you have expressed.

And yes, thanks ShadowMaat for this poll.

Darth Buddha
September 10th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Assuming of course that there is a Season 10.

(Pro-Vala leaps to an early lead. I wonder how many "sock puppet" votes there will be in this poll?)

alexia_star_2002
September 10th, 2005, 11:09 AM
I said yes as long as it's not at the expense of another character. I don't want her to replace Sam or something like that.

yasureubetcha
September 10th, 2005, 11:55 AM
No, I can't stand her.

I would prefer never to see Vala again, provided of course that a convincing plot-worthy reason is provided for getting rid of her.

SimilarCadence
September 10th, 2005, 12:02 PM
No. The character of Vala never won me over so I would not like to see her as a regular in season 10----no reflection on CB's talents....I'm sure she did the best she could with what she was given.

LoveYouBaby
September 10th, 2005, 12:17 PM
I voted for - Yes, as long as it isn't at the expense of someone else on the team.

It would nice if Vala has a place to stay, and that, the relationship with Daniel can be furthered along. But I still would like to see our team at its max, without Vala being a thorn at its side.

ValaMalduran
September 10th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I definitely want to see vala as a regular. Not necessarily as a proper SG1 team member. And I definitely don't want her to replace another female character.

A.

Apogeal Alpha 01
September 10th, 2005, 01:03 PM
YES! Vala rocks! Definitely my first choice. :D

Yes, as long as it isn't at the expense of someone else on the team. Definitely my second choice. If it came at the expense of another character, I'd feel kinda bad for the other actor, whom I certainly love now. :)

No, she's an okay character, but she's better in small doses. Definitely my third choice. She's way more than just an Okay character, but given choices one and two, I'll take her in small doses, if that 's all we can have. ;)

"Miss me?" Priceless.

AGateFan
September 10th, 2005, 01:05 PM
YES! Vala rocks! Definitely my first choice. :D

Yes, as long as it isn't at the expense of someone else on the team. Definitely my second choice. If it came at the expense of another character, I'd feel kinda bad for the other actor, whom I certainly love now. :)

No, she's an okay character, but she's better in small doses. Definitely my third choice. She's way more than just an Okay character, but given choices one and two, I'll take her in small doses, if that 's all we can have. ;)

"Miss me?" Priceless.
So your first choice is yes even if it is at the expense of another character?

Qasim
September 10th, 2005, 01:11 PM
So your first choice is yes even if it is at the expense of another character?Thats what they said

AGateFan
September 10th, 2005, 01:22 PM
So I guess they dont care if the show gets cancelled. :p Doh did I say that out loud.

Qasim
September 10th, 2005, 02:40 PM
So I guess they dont care if the show gets cancelled. :p Doh did I say that out loud.Some people eh

If you check the first post it said ' Yes, as long as it isn't at the expense of someone else on the team.' explain how this answer is possible if you select it but just like my thread no one is bothering to explain :o

Temporarily_cloned
September 10th, 2005, 02:40 PM
So your first choice is yes even if it is at the expense of another character?

Hmm... where exactly is it specified in the first choice that it is at the expense of another character? Call me blind, but I really can't see it... :p

Qasim
September 10th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Hmm... where exactly is it specified in the first choice that it is at the expense of another character? Call me blind, but I really can't see it... :pLook at the first post

* YES! Vala rocks!

However, if you can think of a way for her to be main without being on the team, feel free to explain. :)TPTB have said that there cant be a 5 person team so if she was on SG1 - someone would have to go

Apogeal Alpha 01
September 10th, 2005, 02:45 PM
So I guess they dont care if the show gets cancelled. :p Doh did I say that out loud.
No, what I said was my first choice is that she become a regular, without the other considerations becoming a factor. No one would be lost as a result.

Second, if it were to mean that another character would be lost, let's say Sam, or Teal'c. Marginal choice, but I'd make the switch. I consider it highly unlikely, however.

Third, sentiment against me but not too much, we still get to have Vala on the show -- small doses are better than none.

AGateFan
September 10th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Hmm... where exactly is it specified in the first choice that it is at the expense of another character? Call me blind, but I really can't see it... :p
Well since there is an option for "Yes, as long as it isn't at the expense of someone else on the team". Then it would seem to me to be implied that the other yes is for people who are unconcerned about what happens to someone else on the team. That’s how I read it anyway.

But heck if that’s his\her opinion then that’s his\her opinion and that’s great, I just disagree but he\she is still entitled to the opinion.

To me Vala would be ok for recurring but I think if Stargate became all about Vala then its not really Stargate anymore, and I have really liked this show just the way it is for the last 8 years. I did not ask Farscape to be other then it is, I don’t ask BSG to be other then it is so I get slightly touchy when people say (or imply) that Stargate should be other then it is. Maybe too touchy sometimes.

Qasim
September 10th, 2005, 03:07 PM
I get slightly touchy when people say (or imply) that Stargate should be other then it is. Maybe too touchy sometimes.You can never get too touchy about stargate

ShadowMaat
September 10th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Well since there is an option for "Yes, as long as it isn't at the expense of someone else on the team". Then it would seem to me to be implied that the other yes is for people who are unconcerned about what happens to someone else on the team. That’s how I read it anyway.
I suppose I could have made it something like "Yes, and I don't give a frell who gets kicked off the show just as long as Vala stays ON it!" but I figured I'd let people say that for themselves. ;)

Erik Bloodaxe
September 10th, 2005, 04:44 PM

Why would she have to replace anyone? SG-1 only has 5 regulars, Atlantis has 6, so it seems there's very much still room. ;)

-Bloodaxe

Erik Bloodaxe
September 10th, 2005, 04:53 PM
If Vala never comes back I'd be pleased. She was a plauge on the series and a poorly written character with no depth. Not to mention all the sexual references which drove me insane. No offense to Vala fans.

She was gaining depth the more we learned about her though. Much like Jack could switch between serious and flippant depending on the situation, Vala could do likewise w/ her experience of gaining a greater understanding of the seriousness of the galaxy's situation. :) (IOW, not constantly exercising her sense of humor, but mainly doing so when it's not TOO inappropriate timing* ;) ).

[*You know, like the "TOO inappropriate" timing that the rest of SG-1 chose to make light of Vala's post-Beachhead fate. :rolleyes: ]

-Bloodaxe

Erik Bloodaxe
September 10th, 2005, 05:04 PM
I'd be kind of curious about the explanations myself, especially since I don't understand how someone can be main cast and NOT be on the team. Unless you view people like Landry as being full-time castmembers. I always thought of Hammond and crew as being recurring. He shows up more often than, say, Bra'tac, but he's still not in EVERY ep and he isn't going out there every week with the team.

But Landry and Hammond are still regulars regardless of whether they go out w/ the team; they're credited as regulars, paid as regulars, written into as many episodes as possible (need not be EVERY to be regulars, or there would be a few seasons in which Jack, Carter and Daniel all could not have been considered regulars) like regulars, in every sense of the word regulars. :) Just as Weir and Beckett are regulars despite not going off-world. So, if not on the team, Vala could be a regular like that; perhaps some sort of on-base consultant for dealing w/ the Ori (from what she should learn by that time), or possibly some sort of field medic (using her technology) going out with various teams (could even be the role she serves as a team member were she to join SG-1). 5th team member w/ her own unique role (field medic) is more likely though. :)

-Bloodaxe

ToasterOnFire
September 10th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Voted no, no way, no how. :D

Erik Bloodaxe
September 10th, 2005, 05:16 PM

That was when someone asked about Jonas joining on for Atlantis though, which already has 6 regulars (1 more than SG-1), so likely it's Atlantis that's the one that's tapped out its budget for cast members. ;)

-Bloodaxe

Erik Bloodaxe
September 10th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Look at the first postTPTB have said that there cant be a 5 person team so if she was on SG1 - someone would have to go

I'd like to see the context of this statement myself, but it seems unlikely to me that they're incapable of changing their minds. ;)

-Bloodaxe

tsaxlady
September 10th, 2005, 05:25 PM
I suppose I could have made it something like "Yes, and I don't give a frell who gets kicked off the show just as long as Vala stays ON it!" but I figured I'd let people say that for themselves. ;)

LOL - blunt and to the point as usual.

I voted No I can handle Vala in small doses but full-time No Way. Once or twice a season would be enough.

sueKay
September 10th, 2005, 05:30 PM
I voted...

No, she's an okay character, but she's better in small doses.

For example...Prometheus Unbound - Loved her, found her funny, loved the Vala/Daniel dynamic...

from Avalon onwards...no ta...the routine's getting boring...

majorsal
September 10th, 2005, 06:14 PM
too bad you didn't have an -

*i'm just sick of the character, the storyline, and the topic.

now *that's* what i'd vote for at this specific time. :p

sally :)

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
September 10th, 2005, 08:50 PM
I would only like to see her every few episodes.

chocdoc
September 10th, 2005, 09:08 PM

Okay, I'm a bit confused. We have 27 people who have voted for she rocks, and this choice IMPLIES having Vala as a regular even at the expense of losing a main character, yet it looks like most people who picked this choice have not made any comments about their choice?

So, this could be because they didn't interpret the first choice like you had presumed they would, or they really feel this way, or they would feel differently depending on the character being replaced?

L-JADE
September 10th, 2005, 11:40 PM
too bad you didn't have an -

*i'm just sick of the character, the storyline, and the topic.

now *that's* what i'd vote for at this specific time. :p

sally :)

^^ what she's said.. but since it's a poll. I guess I can stand Vala in small doses (like SueKay said in P/U) but actually now, the smaller the dose the better... like maybe 10 second (like the opening theme) ? then half season throw that idea (i.e her) entirely.

Piratejenna
September 11th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Okay, I'm a bit confused. We have 27 people who have voted for she rocks, and this choice IMPLIES having Vala as a regular even at the expense of losing a main character, yet it looks like most people who picked this choice have not made any comments about their choice?

So, this could be because they didn't interpret the first choice like you had presumed they would, or they really feel this way, or they would feel differently depending on the character being replaced?
Exactly! And I object to way Anti-Vala fans are 'interpreting' other peoples votes to suit themselves. I voted 'Yes Vala Rocks' but it doesn't as mean at the expense of other another character.

(1) I voted that she rocks because that's how I feel about her - I think she's a great addition who brings new energy to the show. So that choice best expresses my feelings.

(2) I don't think there's a danger of her replacing another character (UNLESS one of the other actors actually wants to leave) so that choice was irrelevant to me. I think a lot of Sam fans are afraid she might replace Sam - not gonna happen as long as AT is still onboard. Sam and Vala are complementary, not mutually exclusive.

(3) I wouldn't object if Vala were to replace Mitchell - I think Sam, Vala, Daniel and Teal'c would be a great combination (although I'm resigned to the fact it would be insufficiently 'military' so probably never gonna happen).

(3) There's no real reason why they couldn't have a team of 5 - as I see it, JM's comment was an attempt to deal gently with a problematic issue (Jonas) rather than a statement of policy set in stone for TV eternity.

Temporarily_cloned
September 11th, 2005, 12:31 AM
Exactly! And I object to way Anti-Vala fans are 'interpreting' other peoples votes to suit themselves. I voted 'Yes Vala Rocks' but it doesn't as mean at the expense of other another character.

(1) I voted that she rocks because that's how I feel about her - I think she's a great addition who brings new energy to the show. So that choice best expresses my feelings.

(2) I don't think there's a danger of her replacing another character (UNLESS one of the other actors actually wants to leave) so that choice was irrelevant to me. I think a lot of Sam fans are afraid she might replace Sam - not gonna happen as long as AT is still onboard. Sam and Vala are complementary, not mutually exclusive.

(3) I wouldn't object if Vala were to replace Mitchell - I think Sam, Vala, Daniel and Teal'c would be a great combination (although I'm resigned to the fact it would be insufficiently 'military' so probably never gonna happen).

(3) There's no real reason why they couldn't have a team of 5 - as I see it, JM's comment was an attempt to deal gently with a problematic issue (Jonas) rather than a statement of policy set in stone for TV eternity.

E X A C T L Y!!!

valaCB
September 11th, 2005, 06:37 AM
YES! Vala rocks! :cool:

AGateFan
September 11th, 2005, 06:44 AM

I object to being labeled Anti-Vala because someone elses interpretation does not agree with my interpretation.

There are two options for yes
1) YES! Vala rocks!

2) Yes, as long as it isn't at the expense of someone else on the team.

Therefore if 2 is "Yes please bring her back as long as it is not at the expense of someone else on the team then 1 (one would assume) means yes bring her back no matter what. And since you stated that "I wouldn't object if Vala were to replace Mitchell" then I guess selecting 1 was the correct choice for you which is fine. You are allowed to make whatever choice you want. However, just because I mention that is the choice you made is no reason to start labeling and name calling.

ShadowMaat
September 11th, 2005, 06:54 AM
I really, sincerely thought it was obvious and even BLATANT that, by having two "Yes" options, one of which says "not at the expense of someone else" that it would imply that the OTHER "Yes" meant "regardless of anyone else who might be lost in the process". Or, perhaps, "Vala rocks no matter what happens to everyone else".

But whatever. Results are remarkably close and they more or less confirm the feeling I've been getting that Vala will be a significant part of season 10, should it happen.

Personally, I think Amanda will call it quits (kudos to her if she does) and CB will be brought in to "replace" her.

Tigon_(5)
September 11th, 2005, 10:34 AM
I love Vala but if she became I would hate her…she would drive me nuts. Small doses is good for her character. If she did become a main she would have to be toned down to prevent me from going nuts, but I would hate that. I’d rather have her not toned down in small doses than toned down as a main. And I would hate to have her not toned down as a main……if that make any sense at all.

WhatFateAlmondRoca
September 11th, 2005, 10:57 AM
However, if you can think of a way for her to be main without being on the team, feel free to explain. :)

LOL, how 'bout in the brig for stealing Promethius??? :D I'd love to see Daniel pinch her head on the video monitor screen again....

Seriously, I started to like her in Beachhead, I thought she worked well with the other characters and the entire show did not warp around her like it seemed to in the earlier eps. She IS incredibly 'street-smart' and the SGC could use some of that, but as a main character...no thanks. Recurring every once in a while like Jacob, perhaps; but as others have already said, only if they develop her character and make her interesting instead of the Deliverer of Innuendo. I thought her contributions in Beachhead started to do that. I would like to see her and Daniel have a less antagonistic relationship - THAT was getting REAL old REAL fast, and IMHO, Daniel is above that.

Furthermore, we are still getting to know Mitchell, Landry and Lam; new baddies, new Jaffa warriors, the whole Free Jaffa political deal, etc. and I would hate to miss out on these developments just to have more Vala.

aaobuttons
September 11th, 2005, 11:07 AM
I love Vala, but I think she would be better appreciated as a recurring character than a regular. With about the same frequency as Bratak or Jacob Carter we would still keep up with her story and get to know her character, but we wouldn't be saturated with her.

Carterslave
September 11th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Personally, I think Amanda will call it quits (kudos to her if she does) and CB will be brought in to "replace" her.
Considering that, in her most recent interview, she said she'd like to stay on the show as long as it runs, it would come as a huge surprise if she didn't re-up for S10. That is, unless she "quit" in the same way that MS did after S5 (i.e., basically pushed off the show). I won't say I haven't been dreading this since P.U., namely that a move would be afoot to run AT off the show in hopes of luring the Black fandom in its place. In my gut, I've known all along it would come to this.
At least we can be thankful that, if they had to bring RDA's replacement in from another Sci-Fi show, that they went with Ben Browder and not, oh, Kevin Sorbo. ;)

Qasim
September 11th, 2005, 02:17 PM
WTF? - Vala replace Sam - Thats like saying get Hulk Hogan to replace Daniel

starellen1
September 11th, 2005, 02:30 PM
I voted for the "small doses" catagory. I think I said this already in another thread, but here goes--Vala to me is like the loud, sweetly obnoxious drunk at the party-she's funny and intriging for awhile, then she starts to grate on your nerves.

Amanda Eros
September 11th, 2005, 02:37 PM
I'm not really sure what everyone else's opionion of Vala is, (I haven't read the entire thread) but I thought that I would at least post mine. I think that she is an okay character. At first I couldn't stand her, but she has slowly grown on me. Although if I had to pick any character to come back, it would be Jonas Quinn. It would be nice if he was visiting the SGC telling them that a Prior came, and meanwhile his planet got zapped or something. That would be a conviente way of bringing him back! Vala could visit too as long as Jonas is back.

Uber
September 11th, 2005, 02:38 PM
WTF? - Vala replace Sam - Thats like saying get Hulk Hogan to replace Daniel:eek: :eek: :eek:

First of all, Sam is not a replaceable character, anymore than Daniel and Teal'c are. She's been with the stargate program for 10 going on 11 years. She leads the flagship team (and that was confirmed to me even more after watching Babylon). From a scientific standpoint, she's the expert on the gate and as Landry said to Jack, "there were times when ONLY Samantha Carter could have pulled your butt out of the fire."

And on top of all this, she makes a mean souffle.

To suggest that Samantha Carter could in some way be replaced with Vala??? Are you kidding??? Except for the fact that they can both use Goa'uld technology, these two characters are NOTHING alike. Carter is a woman of character and integrity...a warrior, a friend, a mother, a hero. Young girls and even NOT so young girls want to be more like her. Heaven help us all if young girls start to clamor to be more like Vala.

NOW DON'T GET ME WRONG HERE...I LIKE VALA. Vala's an intriguing character...but she could NEVER, EVER replace CARTER!

I agree with the idea of Vala being a recurring character. She brings flare and conflict and pizzazz...and I got to really care about her character in The Powers that Be. I think there's a lot of potential for her.

But she is not sustainable as a regular anymore than Jay Felger is. The things that make her an interesting addition to the Stargate universe are the same things that would make her unbearable on a week to week basis.

:cool:

Apogeal Alpha 01
September 11th, 2005, 02:54 PM

I think this is why polls always have a margin of error, and why numbers lie, and some liars like using numbers. A valid poll would have valid, clearly stated options. If answer #2 qualifies answer #1, it should have been a part of #1. It was not, and therefore to imply that we should have known that #1 was qualified by answer #2 is misleading.

1) YES! Vala rocks! She should replace an existing team member.

chocdoc
September 11th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Considering that, in her most recent interview, she said she'd like to stay on the show as long as it runs, it would come as a huge surprise if she didn't re-up for S10. That is, unless she "quit" in the same way that MS did after S5 (i.e., basically pushed off the show). I won't say I haven't been dreading this since P.U., namely that a move would be afoot to run AT off the show in hopes of luring the Black fandom in its place. In my gut, I've known all along it would come to this.
At least we can be thankful that, if they had to bring RDA's replacement in from another Sci-Fi show, that they went with Ben Browder and not, oh, Kevin Sorbo. ;)

I saw this interview as well, and AT does indicate that she would want to continue with the show.

I don't think AT is being run off the show. If this were true--watch out--because a new campaign for saving sam carter would arise!!! (Unless amanda really did not want to be on the show).

And I don't think that running AT off the show lures "Black fandom" (whatever that is). It seems that most of CB's admirers are not putting Sam and Vala against one another. Now, a vocal small minority who hates sam and has for awhile--yes they might put these characters against one another, IMO---but most fans are not doing this, IMO. (And this poll seems to indicate this--particularly because a majority do not want Vala as a regular if it means replacing another character, or want her as recurring, or not at all. And it seems many who chose #1 aren't even assuming this will affect other characters.

And who knows--maybe some fans are okay with other characters getting replaced -- mitchell was mentioned, for example. Or maybe some people don't really care if Teal'c is not on the show anymore. So little is really said of Teal'c it seems. Or maybe Daniel.

I'm sticking to recurring for Vala -- small doses.

WhatFateAlmondRoca
September 11th, 2005, 04:25 PM

Wow, Shadow. Do you mean replace her on SG-1 or just replace her as protagonista?

I think she would have to have a complete and total epiphany, conversion, and perhaps a partial lobotomy in order to put her on SG-1. Mitchell's comments in the beginning of Beachhead about Vala being on SG-1 about sum it up for me.

She could change that dramatically, I guess.

Now, if she were to be a female protagonist, that would be interesting to see what they would do with her. I'm concerned with what we've been given so far, but I'm guess if they were to do that they would have to do more with her??? Please???:o

I mean, it would be pretty boring to just see them visitin' 'er in the brig all the time...:p

In sum, it is impossible for me to overstate how painful it would be for me to see Amanda leave. If she wants, to, though, I would want her to be happy, just as I do RDA. But, with both her at RDA gone....dunno. Maybe they would spin it off at that point.

Agent_Dark
September 11th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Why is it, if Vala had to replace anyone, that it has to be Sam??? Do people have something against there being 2 women on the team? :S And what would happen if she did replace Sam? She suddenly becomes as knowledegable as one of Earth's foremost experts on the Stargate?

If I had to pick someone for Vala to replace (which I wouldn't because if Vala did come back, I want her to be a recurring guest character. Like Jacob or Bra'tac) it'd be Mitchell. Simply because Mitchell has failed to impress me so far, and Vala and Mitchell pretty much both offer the same dynamics as each other.

ShadowMaat
September 11th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Sam seems the most logical choice to me because Amanda has the best excuse/reason for wanting to leave.

Daniel has already left and come back, and besides, he's needed to pair up with Vala. :rolleyes:

They've spent too much time pimping Mitchell to get rid of him now. Of course, I said that about Jonas, too. :P

Teal'c, I suppose, has the most logical character reason for leaving. I just can't imagine Chris packing his bags.

chocdoc
September 11th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Sam seems the most logical choice to me because Amanda has the best excuse/reason for wanting to leave.

Daniel has already left and come back, and besides, he's needed to pair up with Vala. :rolleyes:

They've spent too much time pimping Mitchell to get rid of him now. Of course, I said that about Jonas, too. :P

Teal'c, I suppose, has the most logical character reason for leaving. I just can't imagine Chris packing his bags.

You know, Ben Browder only signed on until this October. Who knows what he'll want to do. He may be pleased with how things are going, he may not be. And being an actor with a steady job is a great thing---it is a difficult profession.

Amanda may have the best reason--I just hate the association between being a mom and therefore stop working (at least for awhile) whereas dads don't get that much. Note that I'm not saying you are saying that. For RDA, it made sense. He is much older so retirement from your profession makes more sense and his daughter doesn't live right there in Vancouver. Amanda does live in Vancouver, can bring her daughter to work, and they have made accomodations for her to do so.

Agent_Dark
September 11th, 2005, 07:18 PM

Actually I remember Chris Judge saying somewhere that Stargate would probably be the last thing he acts in. Which sounds to me that he wants to move more into the behind the camera stuff (writing and such). Of course, I'd hate to see him go, but I get the impression that he's quite interested in other aspects of film making :)

binkpmmc
September 11th, 2005, 07:32 PM
snip, snip - in hopes of luring the Black fandom in its place. In my gut, I've known all along it would come to this. snip, snip ;)

Just an observation I thought about after seeing your thought about luring Black fandom. In PR leading up to S9, TPTB pushed Black and Browder until I thought I would be sick. I have seen no evidence of any significant influx of fans, Black's, Browder's or Farscape's. The show is still hanging on to the same ratings percentages. I know the numbers behind the percentages may be a little higher due to the number of households with sci-fi channel now but there was no huge influx of viewers that created a huge ratings jump and that is when vala was front and center, In fact the ratings did fall even while vala was front and center. Honestly after the PR hype and the addition of 2 of Farscape's stars I thought that they would see ratings (at least for the first few eps, especially the season premiere), in the same range, or higher, than last years season premiere, as it was the season premiere was lower and after a few eps it went even lower. Just my observation.

yabyumpan
September 11th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Well I voted "Yes, Vala rocks". I loved the first 6 episodes of this season, I think the last 2 eps have been pretty boring. If it wasn't for the changes that have happened this season I wouldn't have come back to the show after the 2 previous, pretty dire, seasons. I personally wouldn't mind if keeping Vala was at the expense of another character, I wouldn't mind losing Carter or Mitchell (although I'd rather not lose either). I'm not a "Sam hater" but I've grown more and more dissapointed with her over the last couple of seasons. I really want to like her again but TPTB haven't convinced me yet. Mitchell just hasn't made an impression on me yet. I love BB but at the momment I wouldn't miss his character.
I don't know why it should be an either/or situation, I think it should be possible to have a 5 person team somehow. All I know is that I've enjoyed the episodes Vala's been in far more than I've enjoyed Stargate for a long time. I'd like to see her on the show full time, if that means losing someone else then so be it.

1DanielForMe
September 12th, 2005, 12:35 AM
I'm with the-she's okay in small doses-crowd. Vala can be really cool, at least by the last couple of episodes she was on, but she doesn't really have the right sort of character to work smoothly with the rest of SG-1 on a permanent basis. She's just too, "Vala". :P

aizjanika
September 12th, 2005, 12:49 AM
I wonder how many "sock puppet" votes there will be in this poll?

What are "sock puppet" votes?

I voted NO! I can't stand her!.

I don't really feel that way, though, but this closest fits my thoughts. I dislike her, but I don't hate her. I would prefer that she not come back on the show at all--especially not as a regular or recurring character. If she must come back, an occasional guest star thing could be tolerated (by me)--more the once a year thing, no more than twice.

AGateFan
September 12th, 2005, 02:36 AM
What are "sock puppet" votes?

I voted NO! I can't stand her!.

I don't really feel that way, though, but this closest fits my thoughts. I dislike her, but I don't hate her. I would prefer that she not come back on the show at all--especially not as a regular or recurring character. If she must come back, an occasional guest star thing could be tolerated (by me)--more the once a year thing, no more than twice.
sock puppets:
Some people sign up for gateworld with multiple user names. Sometimes they do this because they forget the password of their original account and it’s easier to create another. Sometimes so they can post in surreptitiously.

An overt example of that would be if I, AGateFan, were to sign up as ASGAFan, AB5Fan and so forth just so I could vote multiple times in a poll.... or in some instances start a thread and then post as one of the other "sock puppets" to make it look like someone is agreeing with me.... or if I'm really bored (or strange) I could actually use one of the "sock puppets" to start an argument with myself.... saw a Troll do this on another board one time... it was amusing.

I hope this helps

Qasim
September 12th, 2005, 02:45 AM
sock puppets:
Some people sign up for gateworld with multiple user names. Sometimes they do this because they forget the password of their original account and it’s easier to create another. Sometimes so they can post in surreptitiously.The Vala fans do this all the time so that they can leave me annoying rep messages without revealing their true selves

SnoggingPicard
September 12th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Nothing against the actress, but I boycotted Sg-1 when Vala was on. Couldn't stand her, maybe because she threw off the whole team feeling, I don't know. I guess I really lost it when I saw her wearing the same uniforms that Sam does. Grrr.

sg-1 freak
September 12th, 2005, 09:25 AM
hello :D

deli
September 12th, 2005, 02:25 PM
I voted " Vala rocks" because she is the best thing that happened to the show. She is the most interesting character and i wouldn't mind at all if she replaces someone else. Especially if it's Sam, omh she is soo boring, i can't stand her. Vala rules, so she has to be a regular that would be awsome, another reason to watch the show. Without her this show is so dry, i will fall asleep.

Let's get her back. :) :D

aizjanika
September 12th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Thank you, AGateFan, for explaining the sock puppet thing. I was imagining all sorts of weird things. hehe

The Vala fans do this all the time so that they can leave me annoying rep messages without revealing their true selves

This is getting pretty far off topic, but I've seen similar things (not here as I don't post here much) on other forums and in other online polls biased for or against other characters as well. I guess this is me channeling my father when he told me there are good and bad people in all groups. hehe

I guess I really lost it when I saw her wearing the same uniforms that Sam does. Grrr.

Sam doesn't tie them up under her boobs, though, as though she were a teeny-bopper. hehe

Carterslave
September 12th, 2005, 05:10 PM
I'm having a WTF? moment here. The likely reason that AT (and, according to her, Michael Shanks as well) wants to stay on the show as long as it runs is that she's got a newborn at home (as does MS) and thus probably doesn't want to have to travel hither & yon looking for film work when she could be doing a TV series close to home. That, for instance, is the reason many actors go into TV, as when Benjamin Bratt came back to do E-Ring. The hours are predictable and you see your kids every day. If Amanda "has the best excuse/reason for wanting to leave," then so does Shanks, by that reasoning.

The point about Browder's contract running through October is well taken. His wife & kids are back in L.A., and mention was made during the Burbank con that his wife (actress Francesca Buller) was pretty depressed to have him half a continent away. IF the show gets renewed and IF for some reason Browder decides not to stay on, I suppose they could always bump Shanks up to top billing (it's not like he hasn't earned it) and give CB the "and/as" spot.
Too bad they can't bring her back as Aeryn Sun, since that character could replace Teal'c w/o the show missing a step. A whimsical solution, I'll admit, but at those of us who like CB but aren't totally taken with Vala would be mollified.

LORD MONK
September 12th, 2005, 05:16 PM
I most diffenantly what Vala in season 10. But not a main Character or on the team. I want it to be exciting every ep. she is in. If she is in all of them then it is just likeanyone else in the show. You know she will be their. I already can't wait to see her return. It gives me something to look forward.

rac76
September 12th, 2005, 05:47 PM
I say Vala should come back in season 10. As I have said before she can be a recurring character like Jacob was when he was on. I love the banter between her and Daniel, and I enjoy the sarcasm that she brings. Its just refreshing to have some light heartness during the show. For instance, the episode "Babylon" was good, but it just need a little something. I think that Vala could have brought that little something to it.

I can't wait to see her come back this year, and I really do hope that she makes more appearances during next season. :)

ann_sgcfan
September 12th, 2005, 08:30 PM
I'm not a big fan of Vala because the team disappears when she shows up. It's no longer SG-1 and that's how the writers chose to do the first half of the season. There has been no team chemistry, except for a glimpse here or there. I have watched SG-1 for 8 full seasons and part of the 9th season and the team chemistry is one reason among many that I watch the show. So just imagine my disappointment for this and other reasons.

I simply adore RDA/Jack (miss him greatly)! I'm also a big Carter fan and I don't have a problem if Sam and Vala are on the show at the same time. It might be fun if Vala stops all the tired innuendos and shows some maturity. These two characters could keep the boys on their toes. I thought Beachhead had some good moments; Vala wasn’t over the top, but still funny and showed some development. So I'm okay if Vala is there in small doses, but never EVER as a regular or a replacement!

esoap524
September 12th, 2005, 08:32 PM
I think she rocks, and would love to see her as a regular but I agree that the character would have to evolve to fit in better. I still wouldn't mind the quips, especially directed at Daniel, but I'd really like to see the more mature side play out against Sam. There seemed to be a smidgen of a hint of that, IMHO, in "Beachead". It seemed like Sam is the only person who seems to garner any respect from Vala.

I thought the characterization in The Powers That Be, and her interaction with Sam were two indicators, to me, that Vala can bring some more depth to the show and not completely lose what makes her stand out. I like the fact that she's not 100% a nice person, like everyone else on the show is, and that she's quite flawed. To me, it's interesting, but you'd have to tone it down a bit to make her part of the team. I doubt it'd be a full on military role but she seems to have a lot of knowledge from her travels, and a lot of questionable alliances that might help the team.

LOL--I don't know if this makes any sense, but I'm thinking a non-murderous, funnier Krycek. You never quite knew what side he was on, yet his efforts could easily be interpreted as being helpful to Mulder's cause on many an occasion. (from The Xfiles for those of you who weren't fans).

Forgot to add--no, I don't want her to "replace" an existing character.

esoap524
September 12th, 2005, 08:42 PM
I'm also a big Carter fan and I don't have a problem if Sam and Vala are on the show at the same time. It might be fun if Vala stops all the tired innuendos and shows some maturity. These two characters could keep the boys on their toes. I thought Beachhead had some good moments; Vala wasn’t over the top, but still funny and showed some development. So I'm okay if Vala is there in small doses, but never EVER as a regular or a replacement!

I'm a big proponent of the Sam/Vala angle. It's like someone else said --The Odd Couple. Vala needs to grow up and Sam needs to loosen up so it might be sort of fun to watch. Plus, like you said, they could give the guys a run for their money! I like the fact that the actresses and the characters are so different from each other. --it'd be kinda funny to see something where there's body switching, CB playing Sam and AT playing Vala (I know, it's stupid, but it amuses me to no end).

ETA: I read a post where someone proposed replacing Carter? Claudia Black is one of my favorite actresses but I would never buy into that idea. What, isn't there enough room in the SGC for TWO dynamic females? Sheesh.

Piratejenna
September 13th, 2005, 01:16 AM
I'm a big proponent of the Sam/Vala angle. It's like someone else said --The Odd Couple. Vala needs to grow up and Sam needs to loosen up so it might be sort of fun to watch. Plus, like you said, they could give the guys a run for their money! I like the fact that the actresses and the characters are so different from each other. --it'd be kinda funny to see something where there's body switching, CB playing Sam and AT playing Vala (I know, it's stupid, but it amuses me to no end).

ETA: I read a post where someone proposed replacing Carter? Claudia Black is one of my favorite actresses but I would never buy into that idea. What, isn't there enough room in the SGC for TWO dynamic females? Sheesh.
Hear Hear! The whole Sam versus Vala thing drives me mad - the answer is BOTH! The fact that SG-1 has only one woman has always been something which unbalanced the dynamics.

I've been thinking about the issue of whether Vala could ever be a true part of the team. My take on it is this. When SG-1 started, it was a fairly simple premise of a '4-person team which goes through the gate and has adventures on alien worlds'. But over the years the show has evolved. The Stargate universe has become more complex and the storytelling more sophisticated. And that reflects the fact that audiences, and TV in general, are more sophisticated. People now expect interwoven plot-lines and story arcs and large ensemble casts. One reason SG-1 has survived so long is because it grew up with it's audience. However nostalgic we may be for the simpler days of team adventures and unambiguous heroes, if the writers tried to go back there, we would get frustrated. Vala has to fit into the Stargate team of now, not the one that existed in season 1.

Some people argue that Vala could never be part of a military team, and in a sense they're right (although if we're being strictly realistic, by that standard Teal'c could never have joined. Would the USAF really 'adopt' an enemy deserter so quickly?). I think the perfect scenario for Vala would be in a 5-person team, where she is always slightly the outsider, but goes along as a 'native guide' in the chaotic post-Goa'uld galaxy. They actually had the perfect set-up in Beachhead, but ruined it by beating us over the head with it and sacrificing character psychology in order to force the plot. But there's a lot of scope for a more subtle version of that dynamic. Vala WANTS to belong - she's lonely and enjoys their company. And there's a part of her that wants to do the right thing - perhaps partly to make amends for her Goa'uld past, but also because she has every reason to hate the Ori. On the other hand, psychologically she's not a team player - she's a little crazy, fiercely independent and insubordinate. That's what makes her so interesting when she interacts with the others. The rest of the team would start to value her experience and intuition, and might even become fond of her, but there would always be that edge of wondering what she was going to do next, and whether they could really trust her. Stargate shouldn't be too cosy, and Vala injects a bit of grit into the otherwise well-oiled machine of SG-1.

Sorry - another painfully long post! Brevity is not my forte...

Dr Weir
September 13th, 2005, 05:25 AM
I definitly want to see her as part of the team, she can replace Micthell and Sam can be in charge. She was so funny and it was interesting to learn about her past and it would be nice to have more than 1 woman in sg1. I haven't seen Babylon yet because I'm lazy, but Sam did a good job deciding what sg1 should do without much input from Mitchell.

esoap524
September 13th, 2005, 04:39 PM
I think the perfect scenario for Vala would be in a 5-person team, where she is always slightly the outsider, but goes along as a 'native guide' in the chaotic post-Goa'uld galaxy. They actually had the perfect set-up in Beachhead, but ruined it by beating us over the head with it and sacrificing character psychology in order to force the plot. But there's a lot of scope for a more subtle version of that dynamic. Vala WANTS to belong - she's lonely and enjoys their company. And there's a part of her that wants to do the right thing - perhaps partly to make amends for her Goa'uld past, but also because she has every reason to hate the Ori. On the other hand, psychologically she's not a team player - she's a little crazy, fiercely independent and insubordinate. That's what makes her so interesting when she interacts with the others. The rest of the team would start to value her experience and intuition, and might even become fond of her, but there would always be that edge of wondering what she was going to do next, and whether they could really trust her. Stargate shouldn't be too cosy, and Vala injects a bit of grit into the otherwise well-oiled machine of SG-1.

Sorry - another painfully long post! Brevity is not my forte...

It's okay because what you said makes sense! LOL. I agree with your take on Vala wanting to belong--it was very evident in Beachead. Although it was played for some laughs, and rightfully so because I don't see Vala as the type to wear her vulnerability on her sleeve, you could see that Vala was feeling left out. She also tried to behave a bit (for her) in the presence of Carter whom she knew she couldn't manipulate or fool with.

I think "subtlety" is the key and having seen Claudia Black play subtle as Aeryn Sun, I'm convinced that it can be done with Vala, and still retain the core of the character's independence.

...if that goofy Crusade storyline doesn't mess with that dynamic!

Carterslave
October 3rd, 2005, 11:28 PM
the perfect scenario for Vala would be in a 5-person team, where she is always slightly the outsider, but goes along as a 'native guide' in the chaotic post-Goa'uld galaxy.
Vala WANTS to belong - she's lonely and enjoys their company. And there's a part of her that wants to do the right thing - perhaps partly to make amends for her Goa'uld past, but also because she has every reason to hate the Ori. On the other hand, psychologically she's not a team player - she's a little crazy, fiercely independent and insubordinate. That's what makes her so interesting when she interacts with the others. The rest of the team would start to value her experience and intuition, and might even become fond of her, but there would always be that edge of wondering what she was going to do next, and whether they could really trust her.
They had a chance to do something very much like this with Jonas, who—as written in Meridian—was not exactly someone you'd trust with your life savings. Unfortunately, between the end of S5 and the beginning of S6, there was apparently a failure of either nerve or imagination, and a much blander iteration of Jonas supplanted the somewhat opportunistic character we had seen in S5. A promising new face was thereby scuppered.

The challenge for the writers, if the budget would even accomodate yet another regular, would be to not let history repeat itself: have a Vala who retains her unpredictability and doesn't have her edges smoothed off. One thing I could do with less of is the incessant innuendo. Robert C. Cooper thinks he is penning Sophisticated Sexual Banter, but most of it sounds like stuff we outgrew in college. Claudia Black can give a convincing flourish to bad dialogue, but why continue to encumber her?

Lord Zedd
October 3rd, 2005, 11:37 PM
Damn I have allready voted at this poll :p I really hope Vala could become a member of SG.1. Imagine the funny things that could happen between Vala and Daniel :p:p

sgeureka
October 4th, 2005, 03:41 AM
Darn! Didn't really get the main character thing in the poll when I clicked on "vote", but okay...

I selected the second option, although now I'm wondering if the third option would have been better. I love Vala as a character and how she drives Daniel nuts, but her as a main character? :rolleyes:

Although... my favorite TV show of the moment is Gilmore Girls, and I love how the main character Lorelai drives another quasi main character (Luke) nuts. I'm not sure whether I would like to see something similar on SG-1 though.

Kinky for Governor
October 4th, 2005, 09:12 AM
I really enjoyed her as a counterpoint to Sam. It's really just a shame that we are only allowed one major SG1 female character at a time. Is the format so fixed now that adding a second would mess up the dynamics too badly?

Maybe Dr. Lam will become a greater presence going forward

CalmStorm
October 4th, 2005, 09:29 AM
I'd love to see Vala back....I thought she was entertaining. Wouldn't want it to be at the expense of another on the team, but I don't see why they could not have a fifth member on the team or more than one woman on a team.

theStormWeaver
October 4th, 2005, 09:44 AM
I voted for "I want her as a main character, but not as a replacement" option, but maybe the recurring role was a better idea.

She is a funny character, she's something new and refreshing. The SGC has never met someone like Vala. I think she is hillarius. Besides, except for Vala the only sexy episode in the entire series was "Broca Divide." (Carter goes crazy and tries to violently seduce Jack). And even that was only alittle sexy. Although it would be a good idea to tone it down from now on. If Vala matured some, then i would like to see her return every few eps. Maybe to "replace" (but not really) the recurring role slot that Jacob/Selmak (Rest in Peace friend(s)) left behind. (Lou Gosset is a MAIN character, he's in almost all of the eps.) Lets just hope that when she returns in the next half of the season it won't ruin the charm that has made many of us love her. Plus, she annoys Daniel! :D Which is always fun.

Neelan_Liquor
October 4th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Well, I LOVE Vala, but do I want to see her as a MAIN character? Probably not. She'd be GREAT as a recurring character (like so many others) and I def do not want anyone to be able to say that she "replaced" anyone else on the team, so I don't want any of the other team members to leave. So I guess I'll go with, Yes, as long as it isn't at the expense of someone else on the team.

starathena74
October 4th, 2005, 02:02 PM
i just hope there is a 10th season so she and come on i like her

Ed
January 12th, 2006, 01:09 PM
recuring charater fits flawlesly and it would fill the other recuring that has been empty since selmac/jacob:vala:

captain_kirk999
January 12th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Vala and Daniel have great chemistry (most of the time) and they have the potential to be the new 'Jack and Daniel'

KillerMercury
January 15th, 2006, 07:34 PM
IMO, Vala is a very interesting character. I mean, just look at everyone who made the regular characters, they're the best at what they do.

Jack and Cam are both very good pilots and leaders (in their own ways); Sam has been deemed the "foremost expert on the Stargate"; Daniel actually activated the Gate, has a vast knowledge of Earth mythology, a linguist, archeologist, he has ascended (twice) and now called the "foremost expert on the Ancients"; Teal'c was first prime of Apophis, has a great knowledge of many different worlds and the Goa'uld, extremely strong and wise; Jonas, for the very short time we had him, was a quick learner, adaptable, and for what I could tell, a pretty good diplomat; as for Generals Hammond and Landry, they're just good being the leaders of SGC.

Vala? She's at her best when she lies, cheats and/or steals. She's the perfect annoying character to play oppostie Daniel. Her past gives a symapthy that might not be true, and her ways are totally unmilitary. She fits in with SG-1, while sticking out, too. She brings with her a new dynamic, which, for me, makes great TV.

So what do I say? VALA ROCKS!

the fifth man
January 15th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Vala? She's at her best when she lies, cheats and/or steals. She's the perfect annoying character to play oppostie Daniel. Her past gives a symapthy that might not be true, and her ways are totally unmilitary. She fits in with SG-1, while sticking out, too. She brings with her a new dynamic, which, for me, makes great TV.

So what do I say? VALA ROCKS!

Very nice post.:) Personally, I also think it will make for great tv watching her try and fit in with the rest of the team on a permanent basis. Besides, for those opposed to her joining, she is supposed to be a little more toned down next season anyways. Maybe as a result of her experiences in Ori-land.

KillerMercury
January 16th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Very nice post.:) Personally, I also think it will make for great tv watching her try and fit in with the rest of the team on a permanent basis. Besides, for those opposed to her joining, she is supposed to be a little more toned down next season anyways. Maybe as a result of her experiences in Ori-land.

First of all, thank you. I also agree with what you said. Vala's boldness should be taken only in small amounts, and her current situation (which is the main plot for "Flesh and Blood", don't know how to use the spoiler button yet!) might give her more of a humane angle, a less bold Vala, if you will. A lot of people seem to forget that most characters, when they're first introduced, are seen as one-dimensional. Give her a chance!

P.S. BTW, what's this I hear about Claudia Black being pregnant? I always hear news a million years later.

esoap524
January 16th, 2006, 02:17 PM
If you go to wireimage.com and type in her name you'll see some pics that confirm that rumor. They were taken at a pre-Emmy show.

Formerhost
January 16th, 2006, 02:30 PM
If you go to wireimage.com and type in her name you'll see some pics that confirm that rumor. They were taken at a pre-Emmy show.

Which took place mid-September. And about 2-3 weeks later they were filming "Crusade" and "Camelot" :vala:

PS. I suppose she has had already her little one :)

KillerMercury
January 16th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Thanks, guys! :D

Blitz
January 16th, 2006, 02:38 PM
I voted the second option - I think she's great and see alot of me in her + seeing as her current predicament will change her i think she'll rock :cameron:

Plus Her and daniel need to make babies :hammond:

sueKay
January 16th, 2006, 03:08 PM
If it were the Vala from prometheus unbound...I'd vote two...but since it's the Vala from Avalon onwards...sorry but it has to be four.

Formerhost
January 16th, 2006, 03:13 PM
First of all, thank you. I also agree with what you said. Vala's boldness should be taken only in small amounts, and her current situation (which is the main plot for "Flesh and Blood", don't know how to use the spoiler button yet!) might give her more of a humane angle, a less bold Vala, if you will. A lot of people seem to forget that most characters, when they're first introduced, are seen as one-dimensional. Give her a chance!

Agree completely. That's why I voted the first option :)

As for the spoiler button, I don't know about the button, but you can do it this way [ spoiler ] text [ /spoiler ] (of course no spaces)

KillerMercury
January 16th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Thanks to you, too! You people are so kind...

Carterslave
January 16th, 2006, 06:58 PM
as for Generals Hammond and Landry, they're just good being the leaders of SGC. "Just"? That's like saying somebody's "just the president of the United States." Thanks to Don S. Davis' excellent performance, which was the bedrock of the show in many respects (IMO), you always sensed that George Hammond bore the weight of the world on his shoulders. He certainly bore its' fate often enough. My personal jury's still out on Landry but I don't think one needs to pull down one character (i.e., Hammond) to build up another. DSD made an incalulable contribution to the success of Stargate SG-1 and it's thousand pities he chose to move on. :(

valaCB
January 17th, 2006, 01:38 AM
YES! Vala rocks! - and that's my vote!!! :vala:

KillerMercury
January 17th, 2006, 08:00 PM
"Just"? That's like saying somebody's "just the president of the United States." Thanks to Don S. Davis' excellent performance, which was the bedrock of the show in many respects (IMO), you always sensed that George Hammond bore the weight of the world on his shoulders. He certainly bore its' fate often enough. My personal jury's still out on Landry but I don't think one needs to pull down one character (i.e., Hammond) to build up another. DSD made an incalulable contribution to the success of Stargate SG-1 and it's thousand pities he chose to move on. :(

Whoa, whoa! Sorry. I didn't mean it that way. I swear, it sounded differently in my head. I meant that point blank, they kick butt. For guys who basically get to order everyone in the SGC around, with very few off-world missions, their leadership astounds me. I never meant what I said in a disrespectful way. They are involved with everything that passes through the Gate, no matter how small. They do really well under tremendous amounts of pressure from various leaders who have great power at their disposal. They're in charge of the biggest secret organization of the world whose sole purpose is to protect the planet from evil aliens. They're good, no scratch that, GREAT leaders. Do I need to explain myself further?

PS, If this kinda seems like I'm going on and on to you, forgive me, I'm lacking sleep and I need to work on my AP Bio midterm. 'Night!

Carterslave
January 17th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Whoa, whoa! Sorry. I didn't mean it that way. I swear, it sounded differently in my head.
Understood. Happens all the time. :)