This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Origin of Death Glider design

Just wondering if anyone knows where the forward swept flying wing design of the Gould Death Gliders came from? The F302 uses this design because it's a Human derived 9and improved) version of the death glider, but I was wondering where the producers/designers/writers/sfx people came up with the design from originally.

Any one know, or have any ideas?

My guess would be a bat, as some gou'ld designs do bear a resemblance to creatures of mythlogy or associated with their design philophy. If you look at the ha'tak, each of the 3 extensions looks like a aligators head with large ears complete with eyes on top, the circular domes. It's alright, I can see shapes in clouds and inkblots as well lol.

Comment

A Bat? I was hoping that it was some kind of Super secret research program (or at least a little known one!)

I've seen the info on the X-29 (the experimental plane with the forward swept wings), and the "Flying Wing" concept that lead to the B-2A Stealth Bomber, but couldn't find anything linking the two ideas together.

Just curious how valid a design the F302/Death glider is.

Comment

Interesting. I personally thought it was just a 'alienified' version of your average plane lol.

Remember they appeared in the pilot, into which not a whole lot of stargatyness was put into the technology. An example of what I mean can be found with the name of them. I mean Death Gliders appeared in later season my guess would be it would be some sort of egyptain derived name, and of course with an apostrope (It just sounds a little odd... Ha'tak, Al'kesh and....death glider.) Also still on the same lines but not with ships comes the weapons. At the start you get 'staff weapons' then some of the next weapons we see include 'zatnikatel' and 'TAKUNITAGAMINITURON'.

Comment

Originally posted by Simonthefurling
          TAKUNITAGAMINITURON'.
          Er..did you make that up or what?
          You go ahead, I'll be right behind you (In an F-302)
          And now for a completely unconnected series of random smilies:

Comment

Originally posted by Indum'kra
            No he didn't. Watch Deadman switch

Comment

Originally posted by Indum'kra

Lol, http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/index.shtml

Search for it there.

Comment

http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/t...inituron.shtml

That is one long name for such a short description!
                JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                LANDRY
                : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                Mmm... Green...

Comment

Originally posted by Simonthefurling
                  Interesting. I personally thought it was just a 'alienified' version of your average plane lol.
                  You're probably right here. I knew that they used technical advisors for the series, but that the death gliders were a hold-over from the original movie.

From what I've managed to research, both the forward swept wing and the flying wing designs give (some) advantages to an aircraft. The forward swept wing gives increased agility over rearward swept wings, including an increased angle of attack (how steep you can dive at a target and still be under total aerodynamic control), and also reduces drag on the airframe (increasing fuel efficency). The Flying Wing design has an increased lift generating surface (giving better fuel efficency), and also provides a smaller head-on radar signature (why the design was used for the B-2 Stealth Bomber). Of course, both designs need modern computers to control the plane (they're a little unstable), and the forward swept wing designs need to be built with advanced materials (otherwise the aerodynamic stresses tend to snap the wings off).

Guess the Bat theory is still probably the best idea as to where the design came from...

Comment

Russia has or used to have a fighter jet under development Sukhoi-47 (previously known as S-37) that has forward swept wings.
                    It's well known to the aerodynamic scientists that forward swept wings provide far superior mobility, but it is a very difficult for engineers because it's often unstable.
                    "Thermodynamics is the only physical theory of universal content which, within the framework of the applicability of its basic concepts, I am convinced will never be overthrown." — Albert Einstein

Comment

What I was wondering about is the death glider in CHilderen of the gods !! It had a ring transporter and it transported Apophis Amunet and Serpent guards down than it transformed and attacked SG.1
                      Lord Zedd

Comment

Originally posted by _Anubis
                        What I was wondering about is the death glider in CHilderen of the gods !! It had a ring transporter and it transported Apophis Amunet and Serpent guards down than it transformed and attacked SG.1
                        Are you sure they weren't ringed down from an unseen ha'tak?

And Deathgliders dont transform. You probably saw an illusion as it was turning around or something (considering the dark coloring of the craft.)

Comment

Originally posted by Ollock
                          Are you sure they weren't ringed down from an unseen ha'tak?

And Deathgliders dont transform. You probably saw an illusion as it was turning around or something (considering the dark coloring of the craft.)
                          It wasn't a deathglider, but it did transform.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

i think it looks like a hawk

Comment

Originally posted by Three PhDs
                              It wasn't a deathglider, but it did transform.
                              Eh? How so?

Comment

Working...
                              X