PDA

View Full Version : Origin of Death Glider design

Miggles
September 9th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows where the forward swept flying wing design of the Gould Death Gliders came from? The F302 uses this design because it's a Human derived 9and improved) version of the death glider, but I was wondering where the producers/designers/writers/sfx people came up with the design from originally.

Any one know, or have any ideas?

EnigmaNZ
September 10th, 2005, 12:59 AM
My guess would be a bat, as some gou'ld designs do bear a resemblance to creatures of mythlogy or associated with their design philophy. If you look at the ha'tak, each of the 3 extensions looks like a aligators head with large ears complete with eyes on top, the circular domes. It's alright, I can see shapes in clouds and inkblots as well lol.

Miggles
September 10th, 2005, 01:38 AM
A Bat? I was hoping that it was some kind of Super secret research program (or at least a little known one!) :S

I've seen the info on the X-29 (the experimental plane with the forward swept wings), and the "Flying Wing" concept that lead to the B-2A Stealth Bomber, but couldn't find anything linking the two ideas together.

Just curious how valid a design the F302/Death glider is.

Simonthefurling
September 10th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Interesting. I personally thought it was just a 'alienified' version of your average plane lol.

Remember they appeared in the pilot, into which not a whole lot of stargatyness was put into the technology. An example of what I mean can be found with the name of them. I mean Death Gliders appeared in later season my guess would be it would be some sort of egyptain derived name, and of course with an apostrope :P (It just sounds a little odd... Ha'tak, Al'kesh and....death glider.) Also still on the same lines but not with ships comes the weapons. At the start you get 'staff weapons' then some of the next weapons we see include 'zatnikatel' and 'TAKUNITAGAMINITURON'.

Indum'kra
September 10th, 2005, 09:29 AM
TAKUNITAGAMINITURON'.
Er..did you make that up or what?

aAnubiSs
September 10th, 2005, 09:40 AM
No he didn't. Watch Deadman switch

Simonthefurling
September 10th, 2005, 09:56 AM

Lol, http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/index.shtml

Search for it there.

6thMonolith
September 10th, 2005, 11:17 AM
http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/technology/links/takunitagaminituron.shtml

That is one long name for such a short description!

Miggles
September 10th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Interesting. I personally thought it was just a 'alienified' version of your average plane lol.

You're probably right here. I knew that they used technical advisors for the series, but that the death gliders were a hold-over from the original movie.

From what I've managed to research, both the forward swept wing and the flying wing designs give (some) advantages to an aircraft. The forward swept wing gives increased agility over rearward swept wings, including an increased angle of attack (how steep you can dive at a target and still be under total aerodynamic control), and also reduces drag on the airframe (increasing fuel efficency). The Flying Wing design has an increased lift generating surface (giving better fuel efficency), and also provides a smaller head-on radar signature (why the design was used for the B-2 Stealth Bomber). Of course, both designs need modern computers to control the plane (they're a little unstable), and the forward swept wing designs need to be built with advanced materials (otherwise the aerodynamic stresses tend to snap the wings off).

Guess the Bat theory is still probably the best idea as to where the design came from...

lethalfang
September 11th, 2005, 01:16 AM
Russia has or used to have a fighter jet under development Sukhoi-47 (previously known as S-37) that has forward swept wings.
It's well known to the aerodynamic scientists that forward swept wings provide far superior mobility, but it is a very difficult for engineers because it's often unstable.

Lord Zedd
September 11th, 2005, 02:29 AM
What I was wondering about is the death glider in CHilderen of the gods !! It had a ring transporter and it transported Apophis Amunet and Serpent guards down than it transformed and attacked SG.1

Ollock
September 11th, 2005, 11:21 AM
What I was wondering about is the death glider in CHilderen of the gods !! It had a ring transporter and it transported Apophis Amunet and Serpent guards down than it transformed and attacked SG.1

Are you sure they weren't ringed down from an unseen ha'tak?

And Deathgliders dont transform. You probably saw an illusion as it was turning around or something (considering the dark coloring of the craft.)

Three PhDs
September 11th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Are you sure they weren't ringed down from an unseen ha'tak?

And Deathgliders dont transform. You probably saw an illusion as it was turning around or something (considering the dark coloring of the craft.)It wasn't a deathglider, but it did transform.

captain keys
September 12th, 2005, 05:51 PM
i think it looks like a hawk

Ollock
September 12th, 2005, 06:00 PM
It wasn't a deathglider, but it did transform.

Eh? How so?

Three PhDs
September 13th, 2005, 01:12 AM
Eh? How so?
By changing shape. Might be cut out of the version you have. I've only seen the full uncut version that also has naked Sha're in it.

Indum'kra
September 13th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Oh! Oh! Inform us on the goods :D

Three PhDs
September 13th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Full frontal nudity!

theStormWeaver
September 13th, 2005, 10:53 AM
First, and most importantly, lets here how to get this uncut version.

Secondly, I believe it was mostly designe to resemble the Hawk, the symbol of Ra (besides the sundisk, which was actually a symbol shared by many of the gods). The gould aren't exactly sticklers for efficiency. This is easily shown by the staff weapon. Its far from efficient, the best marksman have a two out of three hit ratio. They (the gould) are more concerned with appearance, with the aesthetics of the item/device/thing. As Jack said in the episode concerning Imhotep, "This (the staff) is a weapon of terror... this(the P-90) is a weapon of war!"

The design isn't necessarily meant to be technically superior to other designs, even though its been proven to be a highly effective one. To further press this, in the episode with the X-301 prototype fighter, when Salmak's cargo ship hovers over the glider it shows a wing design on the wings.

About transforming gliders, they sit in the hanger with wings folded downward.

Ollock
September 13th, 2005, 05:32 PM
By changing shape. Might be cut out of the version you have. I've only seen the full uncut version that also has naked Sha're in it.

I also have the uncut version with the nude scene. I guess I missed the transforming ship, and I don't really feel like rewatching the ep just to look for it.

captain keys
September 16th, 2005, 01:11 PM
I also have the uncut version with the nude scene. I guess I missed the transforming ship, and I don't really feel like rewatching the ep just to look for it.
well i think all the box sets are the "uncut version"
but im pretty shure that the transforming ship was a glider cause it attack jack and the escapeies

Phadreus
September 20th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Does anybody remember that really bad movie that came out in the early 80s with Chevy Chase and Gregory Hines. I think it was called Deal of the Century. Chevy Chase works for Lockheed and is an experimental weapons designer and arms dealer. His crew developed an unmanned craft with long range flight capabilities and serious artillary all to be controlled by remote. It was very similar in appearance to the Death Glider. They also lost control of it at a weopons expo (like in the episode where Tealc and Jack are sent into space during a test flight after having reverse engineered the crashed Gould glider). I dont know if this had any influence on the writers at the time but I thought it was kind of funny

Ed
December 31st, 2005, 09:11 AM
i have the uncut version

yes the glider changes some what i'll go watch it in frame by frame i just saw the canons extend out after it ringed down the two groups of goaulds and jaffa i'll edit it in bellow when i get back

Jarnin
December 31st, 2005, 03:26 PM
The morphing Goa'uld technology was a remnant from the movie that was eventually phased out due to budget constraints.

The morphing deathglider in Children of the Gods was something that tied the pilot to the movie, which was the whole purpose. After that sequence, we never see a morphing ship, or anything else morph, until Teal'c wears the Horus guard helmet in Moebius; it's like the Goa'uld lost their shape-shifting technology sometime after 1995 and never got it back.

As for the original topic, they're designed to look like birds of prey, which explains why they have feathers engraved on the wings.

Lord Shiva
December 31st, 2005, 11:10 PM
You guys are all wrong... the Origin of the Death Glider is a belt.

Yes, that's right, a belt. If you watch the special on the Stargate movie, it talks about all the special effects in the movie, and one of the questions is about the Glider design.

Originally, the creator wanted this really "boxy" looking ship to be the ships of Ra, but the MGM suits took one look at the ships and went "uh... no. Those look really crappy, redesign 'em."

So the guy who was behind the special effects started to think up new ideas, when he saw a belt he had designed for Ra which had the "swept up" wings and a circular middle, and *BAM* the Death Glider was created. He took that and designed it into a fighter.

Mr Prophet
December 31st, 2005, 11:52 PM
The design comes from the traditional shape of wings in Egyptian art, swept upwards around the body. As so:

Scarab (http://www.angelsandearthlythings.com/egyptian/E-115.jpg).

Horus (http://www.talariaenterprises.com/images2/5406a.jpg).