This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sci-Fi Show Subfolders

We're currently considering the best way to revamp the forum's folder structure to maximize the fun, and we want your opinion! If we had dedicated folders for the shows listed, in which do you think you would regularly participate? Check all that apply.

Thanks!
    The 4400
    8.84%
    Andromeda
    3.40%
    Babylon 5
    7.48%
    The Dead Zone
    3.40%
    Doctor Who
    17.01%
    Farscape
    10.20%
    Firefly
    14.97%
    Lost
    13.61%
    Smallville
    5.44%
    Star Trek
    12.93%
    Other (Please post)
    0.68%
    None of these
    2.04%

The poll is expired.

GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Star Trek only
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

Lost and Doctor Who are the only two I really watch. I'd definitely participate in the Lost section and would probably swing through Who, too, but as I have a bit of a lag-time between when eps air and when I see them, I have to play that one kinda cagey.

Comment

Trek for me too. (But then you'll hear whining about subdividing per series.)

I don't mean to be the whiner hear, but why the other shows?

I love Gateworld, but why does a website devoted to the Stargate Franchise need to specialize in other things? If I really want to discuss Trek, there are online forums for this. I just worry that Gateworld might lose its amazing quality in an effort to develop and treat all shows equally. The SciFi forums discuss numerous shows, but their forums are a disaster. How will the mods ever keep up?

Also, more shows being discussed invites more show-fan tensions. Some of the pro and anti-BSG arguments have gotten ugly and have not always stayed in the BSG sections. Wouldn't more shows being discussed in-depth on the forum only increase this problem? Won't we see more Andromeda vs Stargate or Trek vs Dr. Who than we already do?

There is also the problem of forum size and computer speed. We have 10,000 members now, but if 900 get online at the same time bad things happen. If the forum grows in shows, it will, of course, grow in members. Can the current software support that? I don't want to have to try twenty times a day to access the site because the Trek forum is talking about their show when I want to discuss Stargate.

Just my thoughts
        Last edited by MasySyma; 08 September 2005, 05:15 PM.
        "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma
          Trek for me too. (But then you'll hear whining about subdividing per series.)

I don't mean to be the whiner hear, but why the other shows?

I love Gateworld, but why does a website devoted to the Stargate Franchise need to specialize in other things? If I really want to discuss Trek, there are online forums for this. I just worry that Gateworld might lose its amazing quality in an effort to develop and treat all shows equally. The SciFi forums discuss numerous shows, but their forums are a disaster. How will the mods ever keep up?
          Its a valid point most definately - Realistically the existing 'sci-fi' section is adequate for me I suppose

If we were to have more subforums - how long would it be before people wanted more and more?

The mods have enough on their plate and may not fully understand some of the new shows
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

Farscape and Star Trek.
            sigpic

Comment

Also if we were to have a farscape forum I am sure that the psychotic Vala fans would turn it into some type of CB worship forum
              love Torri

Comment

I checked off way too many shows...

But, which subfolders make sense? I'm not sure ... I think you'd have to include all or none, or risk offending fans of the shows that didn't make the cut.
                I'd start a revolution if I could get up in the morning.

Comment

Attracting new blood is certainly a part of it, but it's more about using the forum to support the community(-ies) behind the other shows that GateWorld already covers (or might consider covering). Those sub-sites exist because I enjoy the series, and though I'd like to chat about them I know I'm a casual enough fan of many (most) of them that I would never bother seeking out a large, dedicated forum for a half-dozen or more series.

Like those sub-sites, these would never be on equal footing with Stargate. We remain a Stargate site first and foremost. (Those who can remember the days of SciFiGuide.net know that we learned our lesson about trying to be all things to all sci-fi fans.)
                  GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                  The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                  Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Why? Because Darren knows his audience? Because even though this is ostensibly a Stargate site doesn't mean that Stargate is the ONLY thing that fans watch? Because giant uber-threads discussing ALL aspects of a show are unwieldly to its participants and having multiple threads spread willy-nilly is just as confusing?

Because Darren's a good guy trying to do right by the fans?

And if you object to their existence, then you can ignore them quite easily. If I'm understanding correctly, the various sections would all be gathered under the scifi heading, much as BSG is now. I don't think they'd be getting separate folders as, say, Horizon did.

Comment

I like Farscape and B5 but both shows are over so Im not sure theres a lot to talk about..unless we all broke out our DVDs at the same time. Star Trek would be good because I dont think its quite dead yet. Ive never seen Lost but am buying the DVDs on recommendation so maybe that would be a good one.
                      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I voted for Doctor Who, if there was one I would regulalrly participate.

Whilst this site is a Stargate-first site I don't see the harm in sub-folders if there's demand. We all love sci-fi, it stands to reason that if we like SG we like other shows. Nothing wrong with a bit or re-organising. The board benefited from the BSG subfolder, why not extend this to other shows if there's demand.

Ps. Qasim if in having a Farscape subfolder, it was filled with rabid Vala fans, at least they won't be clogging up the Stargate sections.

Comment

my main three would be.

Babylon 5 (cuz i've fallen in love with the series and loved watchin it)

Farscape (cuz i am a scaper and damned proud of it... that and theres so many fans of both shows that have joined up)

Firefly (Big Damn Movie comin and its nice to see other Browncoats who are addicted to the series as well)
                          sigpic

Comment

I would participate in 4400 and Star Trek discussions. I love Stargate. It's the main reason I'm here. There are times however when a little side discussion on another show would definitely be welcome.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I'm not saying that Gateworld should absolutely not touch other shows; I was wondering about why they would consider expanding. Thank you for the answer Darren.

I admit that if Gateworld gets a Dead Like Me forum; I'll visit it often and post frequently. I trust Gateworld to remain excellent, but I felt that the pros and cons of such a choice should also be discussed.
                              "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Working...
                              X