This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite Scifi Epithet

In an effort to create culture or avoid the censors some series have created some unique sounding swear words.

Frell (Farscape) This made reading Ella Enchanted a bit awkward since the main character is from the land of Frell.
    Frak (BSG)
    Gorram (Firefly)

And you can't go past Wash's "Holy Mother of God and all her wacky nephews". Firefly does come up with unique ones, ya just have to translate them.

What about any other series? Did Babylon 5 have any of their own? Star Trek had some interesting ones in the Klingon language didn't they? Red Dwarf had a pretty good one too, I just can't remember it right now.

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
    In an effort to create culture or avoid the censors some series have created some unique sounding swear words.

Frell (Farscape) This made reading Ella Enchanted a bit awkward since the main character is from the land of Frell.
    Frak (BSG)
    Gorram (Firefly)

And you can't go past Wash's "Holy Mother of God and all her wacky nephews". Firefly does come up with unique ones, ya just have to translate them.

What about any other series? Did Babylon 5 have any of their own? Star Trek had some interesting ones in the Klingon language didn't they?
    As far as I can remember, B5 didn't have any and I don't speak Klingon so I can't say.

Comment

Dren (Farscape)
      sigpic

Comment

Smeg (red Dwarf)
        You go ahead, I'll be right behind you (In an F-302)
        And now for a completely unconnected series of random smilies:

Comment

Voragh's Notes on Klingon Cursing

Ha'DI bah
          (Pronounced "KHA-di-bakh.") Klingon word meaning "animal" and usable as an epithet. Duras cursed Gowron with it during their feud, soon after the Sonchi bombing. Also written as "ha'Dlbah." (Reference: Sins Of The Father)

K'pekt
          A cursing Klingon epithet (pronounced "kuh-PECKED") whose exact translation is unspecified, but which the drunken Klingon Kor hurled at Deep Space Nine barkeep Quark when the unwitting Ferengi tried to end his holosuite battle program. (Reference: Blood Oath)

Mak'dar
          A Klingon epithet used by drunken Kozak referring to Quark, modified by "pathetic." (Reference: The House Of Quark)

p'tahk
          Common Klingonese cursing epithet. Used by Admiral Jarok as a slur against Worf. Also used by the Klingon servant Tumek to describe rival D'Ghor and by Morka for the Romulans in Quark's Bar on Deep Space Nine. B'Elanna Torres used this familiar Klingon epithet on her human double. Also spelled "pahtak." (Reference: The Defector)

Yintagh
          Toral uses this epithet on Gowron before the High Council, which apparently means to "cut your tongue out." There is no direct translation given, although the spelling with a capital "I" is indicative of meaning "life-support system," perhaps implying a variant on "wind bag" or "big mouth." (Reference: Redemption, Part I)

k'pekt
          derogatory Klingon epithet. Old drunk Kor has been participating in a historical battle in Quark's holosuite for three hours but paid only for one. Quark has alerted Odo, who tells him to shut down the power. He does. The Klingon inside is not pleased; after breaking his way out and screaming a senseless threatening roar, he seen Quark behind Odo. "You dare interrupt the Battle of Klach D'kel Brakt!? You Ferengi k'pekt!" (Blood Oath)

ko'tal
          derogatory Klingon epithet. "Look what this ko'tal is doing!" adult Alexander/K'mtar remarked as he pointed out a holographic Klingon warrior's error during a knife fight. (First Born)

korut
          epithet used by Kurn to refer to the cautious Bajoran security men who were trying to calm him: "You miserable koruts!" (Sons of Mogh)

plaQta'
          epithet; Kurn called his friend Largh a "piece of plaQta'" (Redemption II)

More on the site
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

Frell and Smeg by a long margin... I actually use them in my everyday speech. Gorram and Shiny are growing on me though.

-IMF
            "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
            "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
            BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
              I actually use them in my everyday speech.

-IMF
              I use Frack quite often
              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
              love Torri

Comment

Hehehe.....the words Smeg and Smeggy were around before Red Dwarf made them even more popular............but they may well have been the first to come up witht the classic SmegHead

Comment

Originally posted by Indum'kra
                  Smeg (red Dwarf)
                  You can't beat smeg...it's smeggin great. Though I have found myself using Frak more often lately.
                  Last edited by Egeria; 09 September 2005, 01:18 AM.

Comment

what about pain in the mikta?--I like that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Indum'kra
                      Smeg (red Dwarf)
                      Thanks, I knew it started with S, but the word shiny kept on intruding.

Originally posted by jckfan55
                      what about pain in the mikta?--I like that one.
                      That's from Farscape right?

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
                        That's from Farscape right?
                        No...

I reckon Frack (how is it actually spelt?) takes the cake

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                          No...

I reckon Frack (how is it actually spelt?) takes the cake
                          Really? Wait, that was pain in the mivonks... so where is mikta from?

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalAscended
                            Hehehe.....the words Smeg and Smeggy were around before Red Dwarf made them even more popular............but they may well have been the first to come up witht the classic SmegHead
                            Well they did come up with the Kryten inspired version anyway Smee-Hee, when he was trying to learn to lie. To Rimmer, "Your a Smee-Hee a complete and total one!

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                              Mak'dar
                              A Klingon epithet used by drunken Kozak referring to Quark, modified by "pathetic." (Reference: The House Of Quark)
                              Hey I knew this one, my cousin uses it on occasion.

More creative ones from Firefly:
                              Huh choo-shung huh tza-jiao duh tzang-huo! 'Filthy fornicators of livestock!'

go tsao de 'dog humped'

da-shiong bao-jar-shr duh la-doo-tze 'The explosive diahrrhea of an elephant'

Shun-sheng duh gao-whan 'Holy testicle Tuesday'

Fay-fay duh pee-yen 'a babboon's asscrack'

Comment

Working...
                              X