PDA

View Full Version : What makes the Goa'ulds eyes glow?

iLemon
September 3rd, 2005, 09:18 AM
^ Title

Three PhDs
September 3rd, 2005, 09:52 AM
Photochemical reaction, like the back end of a firefly.

Hulabaloo
September 3rd, 2005, 10:01 AM
I thought it was when the symbiiote took control but thinnknig about it know it dosent make sence.

Hywel
September 3rd, 2005, 10:21 AM
The best theory I've heard is that it's a reaction in the eyes due to increased levels of naquadah from the symbiote. I don't care if it's impossible or whatnot - it just sounds cool. :p

cozzerob
September 3rd, 2005, 10:23 AM
like three phd's said. it occurs when the symbionte is exeriences high emotions (like love, anger, etc), death or upon first takig control (but that's possibly just from thr joy of having a host...)

Other than a photochemical reaction, there's really no logical explanation other than 'it's just a cool effect dude...'

captain keys
September 3rd, 2005, 10:25 AM
Photochemical reaction, like the back end of a firefly.
yeah what he said .......lol :cool:it be nice if someone could find a link :eek:
i can do that

Three PhDs
September 3rd, 2005, 10:29 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly

iLemon
September 3rd, 2005, 10:36 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly
Thanks for the link :D

captain keys
September 3rd, 2005, 10:47 AM
yeah thanx for the link :D

Seastallion
September 3rd, 2005, 04:11 PM
Goa'uld Biology: A Goa'uld symbiote is like a living Bio-pharmecutical. It is capable of creating a nearly endless number of chemical combinations that it uses to control and heal its host. There is also something of an electrical-eel sort of nature to the symbiote. They actually require a small electric field to survive as larvae. It is however, much more specialized, specifically being used to control the brain functions of a host, along with certain chemical combinations. As far as I know, a symbiote couldn't actually shock anyone that was holding... unless it bit them... that might work. I say that, because I suspect the biological hardware for 'plugging' into a host brain is located in its head, and engaged through its mouth. A symbiote essentially wraps itself around the spinal column, reaching up into the brain with its head. The host is capable of fighting the symbiote for motor control, but usually looses after the host expends more effort for control. This usually requires an extra 'surge' of electrical energy through the host brain that often occurs when a Goa'uld is excited, or frustrated. The electrical 'surge' in the host brain actually produces visible light. Most of that light is unseen because the host brain is encased inside its skull, which is not transparent. However, the eye sockets of the brain are not covered by sufficent material to trap the light within the skull. So when a Goa'uld is excited or angry, visible light is sometimes seen to come from the eyes of the host. This light, is simply a by-product of the symbiotes method of controlling the host.

Goa'uld sexuality: Goa'uld are asexual. They have no gender, with the exception of special 'queens' that are capable of breeding new Goa'uld symbiotes. If a symbiote were able to become a queen, as part of a life-cycle, then the Tok'ra wouldn't be in such straights right now. However, the symbiotes do appreciate sexuality and one of the reasons for them choosing humans is because they find humans sex to be particularly enjoyable as compared to other alien races. As someone has already stated, they also picked humans because they are easy to repair... but overall the reason is because that humans are very comfortable host to have. Easy to control, easy to repair, attractive (sometimes... :p ), relatively strong, very capable manipulator (in terms of interacting with the physical world), and capable of very enjoyable physical sensations... (i.e.- sex)

Goa'uld memory: The Goa'uld memory is genetic based. All their memories get converted into genetic sequences. This is how a queen is able to pass her knowledge on to her larvae. She may choose to pass on all her knowledge, or she may choose to with-hold some knowledge. It is possible for them to pass on their genetic memory to their host offspring as well, but this is taboo, and very dangerous to the species in general. Apophis did this on purpose once, but humans on Earth did it once too, artificially. Neither case ended well for those doing the manipulating. Only Shifu (Apophis' child) escaped his fate, and that was only because Oma Desala stepped in to help him.

Goa'uld Brain-function: It is very likely that Goa'uld have very tight synapse connections, allowing them to have a greater degree of intelligence given their small brain size. However, it might be observed, that a symbiote does not reach its full potential until taking a host. A symbiote does not have a gender, but it does take on a 'gender-role' after it takes a host. Usually they prefer to take a host of similiar gender, but sometimes will make an exception, particularly if they don't have a choice. The Goa'uld's higher brain functions are conducted in the host brain, upon implantation... this isn't always an easy task, especially if the host has a strong mind already. This is the reason it sometimes takes time for the blending to be completed, some host are more difficult to blend with than others. This is also the reason that the symbiote and host sometimes share emotional feelings and always share memories and knowledge. The symbiote is intelligent in its native form, but is incapable of achieving anything of real use until it has taken a host to help it manipulate the world around it. After taking a host, a Goa'uld is as much influenced by its host, as the host is by it. Of course, the symbiote takes the dominate position of the blending, but the attitudes, and characteristics of a Goa'uld are largely influenced by the host as well. Depending upon the host, those influences will vary from symbiote to symbiote.

!Dorentus!
September 3rd, 2005, 06:00 PM
Now that we've covered why a host's eyes light up, can anyone explain the deep, distorted voice?

This thread might seem funny, because I'm sure the reasons for why TPTB put the glowing eyes effect into the show was for dramatical purposes; to make people go, "Yikes! That’s scary, he must be an alien". Not as much because they thought that if you had a parasite such as the goa'uld this is what would happen because of scientific reasons. Then again, maybe their really smart and that's how they came up with the idea. ;)

IMForeman
September 3rd, 2005, 07:57 PM
[Barry White]What makes a Gould's Eyes glow? Love, baby... it's love. Oh, yeah.[/Barry White]

-IMF

Auralis
September 3rd, 2005, 11:14 PM
Damn, and here i tought it was the special effects depeartment that does that stuff to make show the viewers hows an goa'uld and to make them more freaky.
glad i was wrong :)

_Owen_
September 4th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Lol, of course, why didn't I think of that. Each symbiote, is actually a clone of Barry White! lol

Owen Macri

Anubis69
September 4th, 2005, 03:37 PM
If that's the case, why did Ba'al, Anubis or any of the other system lords never show off their lovely singing voices!?! Such a waste of talent... :P

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
September 5th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Now that we've covered why a host's eyes light up, can anyone explain the deep, distorted voice?

The voice isn't actually natural, the Gou'ald just uses the voice to frighten people. It's a scare tactic, perhaps an instinct.

!Dorentus!
September 5th, 2005, 06:04 PM
The voice isn't actually natural, the Gou'ald just uses the voice to frighten people. It's a scare tactic, perhaps an instinct. But how does he do it, regardless of what reasons he may have.
Oh... wait, I think I know where you're going with this, but you'll have to explain more clearly. So were thinking of the same thing:)

EnigmaNZ
September 5th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Relaxing the vocal chords would have the effect. If you have seen wrestlers etc that have taken large ammounts of steroids until it effects there facial structure, they often talk in a similar deep tone. I love it when I get a cold or flu, lol, because my natural voice, which is a little high, drops a couple of octives and is nice an deep for a while.

!Dorentus!
September 5th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Relaxing the vocal chords would have the effect. If you have seen wrestlers etc that have taken large ammounts of steroids until it effects there facial structure, they often talk in a similar deep tone. I love it when I get a cold or flu, lol, because my natural voice, which is a little high, drops a couple of octives and is nice an deep for a while.Yeah, I agree it does have something to do with the vocal cords. But how does the symbiote control it at will? Hmmm....it relaxes the vocal cords with it's "tail"? Maybe,.... that's all the explanation I can think of.

Seastallion
September 6th, 2005, 05:44 AM

Back by popular demand..! :p

Okay... this is a rough version of what I've come up with. I've done a little reading on vocal chords and such, to try and get a better clue. This is a reasonable theory that I think might work.

The Goa'uld's body produces electrical pulses, not unlike an electric eel, but more specialized. When the symbiote wraps itself around the spinal chord and up the neck, its fins (or wings) run up along the trachea to the vocal chords and muscles. We know that the Goa'uld has tendrils in its head that reach up into the brain to excert control, the same may also be true of its fins onto the vocal chords. The fins could use tendrils that burrow into the voice box in the throat. Once there, the tendrils physically and electrically control and alter the vocal chords to produce their 'god' voice.

I felt that if the symbiote were so highly specialized as it was... surely it had to do something with its fins too? Otherwise, except for when it is in a pool of water they wouldn't need them. So perhaps it evolved the secondary use for them because their first hosts (the Unas) had only primitive vocal abilities, so it learned a way to improve upon it. Once they got to humans, it made a convenient means to distinguish its host from other humans, and incedentally also seemed impressive too.

:eek:

So... what do you think? Is it okay... or does it need more work? :p

aironoeus
September 6th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Ok. Hey. I'll play along.
Along time ago the symbiotes used to get their basic bulding block molecules of their form of "luceferin" from the phytoplankton in the ocean that they inhabited. They ingested these buiilding blocks and converted them to their own version and it was stored in two sets of photophores near the head of their body (those are tiny complex light organs that can be rotated). Since they started parasiting (if that's the word to use) humans, and their diet changed to nutrients derived from humans, they had to come up with a different version of "luceferin" to incorporate into their photophores. One that does not emit any "damaging to the human eye" blue light.

The symbiote is able to make the human host grow an additional alternative route for the humans optical nerve, which is solely used by the symbiote. It leads over to where the symbiote is. It is connected in tissue, but not in nerve path form until a light signal is produced by the symbiotes photophores directed at this channel.

The symbiote is able to grow an additional optical nerve channel for itself that is connected to its regular one which it can expose and then attach to the humans extra nerve channel. On the symbiote side it remains connected as it serves an additional purpose which is ......the symbiote uses its path as a means to monitor the condition of the eyes and maintain a very high rate of activity for the humans "retinal pigmented epithelium cells" which are the nursemaids of the photoreceptors in the human eye. It also uses it to send plant pigments/molecules such as Zeaxanthin and lutein (which are eye fat antioxidants so to speak) and ones that we still don't know about yet to the retina.

Bottom line they still need the photophores in order to trigger the optical nerve in the human host to switch over to the path which leads into the symbiotes optical nerve input which the symbiote is able to grow. There is a layer of porphyrin nanotubes that run along the outside portion of this "extra optical nerve channel" that the symbiote has made the human grow. The symbiote easily assembles the porphyrin nanotubes by using the porphyrins that are already in human blood and diet (heme and chlorophyllin).

When the symbiote emits light from its own photophores the whole path of porphyrins flouresce and stay lit for a short amount of time as a byproduct. The light is a switching mechanism. Maybe some symbiotes don't give a crap about blue light and just use some less energy intensive luceferin which emits blue light. Possibly the alternative path is able to be made very quickly when forced to and the symbiote keeps a ready supply of antioxidants and porphyrins on hand knowing this. You are just seeing backlighting of this which is passing through the various tissues behind the eye.
The "switch off" mechanism doesn't require light, instead only an electrical impulse sent through the center of the nerve channel.
Howya like me now?

Bamb
human eye
http://webvision.med.utah.edu/imageswv/draweye.jpeg

Bamb
Krill morphology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krill

section31
September 6th, 2005, 07:36 PM
No, no, no, you're all way off. The answer is, the Wizard did it!

aironoeus
September 6th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Ok. I'll play along with the voice thing.
A long long time ago when the majority of the gouald jumped over from the Unis species and started conquering humans, the first set of humans they conquered used a large amount of helium as a buffer gas in their space ships. These humans decided to genetically alter (lengthen) their own throats so as to still sound normal when talking in the helium atmosphere. The frequecies were slightly changed and the throat lengthened so as to have the resonances stay the same.

These humans prefered helium for some reason (I'm leaving that open) based on their own physiology. This was back when the gouald were still "green" (green means - new at something) and this was their first society to conquer which consisted only of two planets of humans.

The idea of conquering and taking over control of these humans was new and exciting to them. It was so much fun to them! It served as the beginning of the Gouald culture that we now know. This is where they first started being competitive with each other and practicing cruelty towards humans and eventually using them as slaves.

They quickly adapted to these "long throated humans." After conquering these humans and running around the galaxy on their ships (after killing almost all of them off) they started going after additional planets and competing with each other but in a very friendly brotherly way as their confidence [ego] was still not sky high as it is today.

They gathered together on each others ships and showed each other different kinds of "fun" they could have with humans. Eventually they started using them a lot instead of killing and torturing them. This was a form of competition between the different goaulds. Once one or two of them did it, the rest figured out that they better do it too.

At this point it was still friendly competition but not hostile, more like "keep up with the Jones." They would smirk and grin and laugh at their human servants and purposely make them talk in front of the other goualds so that they could enjoy how stupid they sounded talking in the helium atmosphere. It was a funny arse thing that they enjoyed to do.

The psychology behind it is, it's a "role reversal".
It's cultural vengence.
In reality symbiotes are small things and when they first encountered humans (back before they figured out that they could enter and control them) the humans would pick them up and talk down to them. This was back on their planet of origin when an expedition of these long throated humans landed and found the gouald swimming around and took samples of them back for study to their home planet. You can just picture the humans holding them and remarking on how cute their little squeaks are and then dissecting them.

The way it made them feel is very little. They did not like that at all. So having these human slaves talk in helium and sound stupid and just killing and torturing them is a reality reversal. They felt fully justified in every way back then. They were doing back to humans what humans did to them; experimenting on them, killing them, torturing them. It served as a way to unite the gouald together in a brotherly sort of way in the beginning.

This is the foundation of the role reversal psychology that you see on that one SG episode with the trial of Clorel on the Tollan planet.

They kept the deep voice thing as it was convenient for various reasons which have already been stated in this thread. They manage nowadays by increasing the diameter of a portion of the throat using muscle and they also screw with the vocal cords.
They still like sounding "bigger". It still makes them feel superior.

Seastallion
September 7th, 2005, 04:41 AM
^ Huh? Humans in space that breath helium?!? What the frack!? Uhhh... Ra was the first Goa'uld to use a human as a host, and at the time, the only humans around were the ones on Earth. Humans didn't get spread all over the galaxy until the Goa'uld started taking them through the stargate to serve them as slaves. The Ancients were pretty much dead and gone by the time the Goa'uld got around to conquering the galaxy. Except for the Atlanteans... and we have no idea what happened to them after they came back to Earth.

Qasim
September 7th, 2005, 04:46 AM
I dont think Helium is very useful for respiration :D

iLemon
September 7th, 2005, 07:39 AM
I love helium!! :D

But you guys forgot about the time when the Goa'uld used Dinosaurs as hosts :P

aironoeus
September 7th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Buffer gas. Buffer gas. Buffer gas.
Did you pay attention to what deep sea divers breathe in order to avoid the bends.
With so many symbiote's more than one thing can be occuring at the same time. Another G'oauld could have took another course and who is to say that Apophis was the first.

cozzerob
September 8th, 2005, 08:53 AM
helium is lots of fun for respiration - your voice goes funny, then your face goes a nice shede of blue, quickly changing to red, and then, after an hour or 2 you lose all the colour from you face. Jack wasn't kidding when he said it takes a little time to get the colour back in your cheeks after being revived...

Yes, very useful for diving too. And floating. Helium is good fun allround.

Hydrogen's fun too - especially when it goes boom - just be careful where it does that tho - there's a time and a place... ;)

Ollock
September 8th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Eyes explination: I like the electrical field theory, despite the fact that such a powerful field might damage a human brain, but what the Hell, if the symbiote can fix his own damage . . .

The voice: I would presume that, being an alien in a human body, the Goa'uld aren't as limited by the discomfort and pain associated with forcing oneself to go beyond one's vocal range, thus they would be able to pitch their voices much lower than a human would deliberately go, repairing the small amount of damage they cause later.

Sex theories: Uhm . . . digging deep in host brains, I imagine? I can't think of any other reason why an asexual creature would enjoy sex.

Helium-breathing stuff: Sorry, helium would (1) never occur on a planet where the symbiote could live and (2) would not sustain life (unless there was a highly reactive gas, such as oxygen, to do that job; but oxygen does not occur in great quantities in helium-rich atmospheres)

aironoeus
September 9th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Holy friggin crud!
Ok, look. Right now you are breathing NITROGEN!
AS A BUFFER GAS!
UNDERSTAND BUFFER GAS.
You have no use for the NITROGEN THAT YOU ARE BREATHING RIGHT NOW AS YOU ARE READING THIS.
It is a buffer gas for peats sake! You only have a use for oxygen. Air is 78% nitrogen 21% oxygen.
I never said anything about a planet full of helium. I said that these fictitious long throated people would use it in their ships only. Get that? No?

Ok picture this. Somebody walks over to a big metal SPACE SHIP on the ground that has NO GAS IN IT, IT IS A TOTAL VACCUUM. Ok, now he plugs a hose up to the ship and squirts oxygen into it for thirty seconds and says, "OK......SEE YA LATER."
WOULD YOU GET IN THAT SHIP?

No you wouldn't because IT IS STILL ALMOST A VACCUUM. Your eyeballs would start getting sucked out of their sockets, and your veins on your arms would swell up until maybe you bumped up against something and one of them bursts open and almost all of your blood would get sucked out of your body BECAUSE THERE IS NOT ENOUGH PRESSURE.

Can you see it? Can you feel it? Can you find it? Are you going to walk around with a magnet next to your lips and hope you attract enough oxygen molecules to your mouth (oxygen is slightly magnetic)? Maybe it fell to the bottom on the floor? Maybe you can walk around with your mouth next to the floor at all times with a magnet next to your lips? Think it'll work?

Oh I get it you want it to be scattered all over the ship so that you can have it everywhere. Ok so what will do is fill the rest of the ship with your favorite drink... fruit punch.
Oh wait, that won't work! The oxygen is going to float up to the ceiling and now you have to swim around with your mouth up at the ceiling.
Oh, you say, you want something lighter, something thinner. Ok, will fill it up with acetone that's a light liquid.
Oh wait, that won't work! The oxygen is still up at the ceiling and acetone is pretty toxic.
Oh yu-yu-you say you'd like A GAS. OH. Why? Because you want the oxygen to mix in with the gas so that it can be equally scattered everywhere in the ship?
OH! Ok we'll give you poisonous gas. Oh ah yu-you don't want posionous gas?
You'd like nitrogen because that's what you breathe anyways and the plants you brought on board are used to having it around?
Ok. That's fine. Except remember you got to be careful with the pressure.

Don't pressurize the ship too much with nitrogen because you know how nitrogen likes to stick around in the body and if you get off the ship onto a planet with a thinner atmosphere your likely to form nitrogen bubbles in your veins and if one reaches your heart or brain your dead buddy.

Oh you say you'd like an inert gas. One that won't do anything to you at all.
OH!
We'll here's your choices.
Argon, helium, krytpon, halogen, xenon.
But the thing is I don't think we're gonna be able to get any halogen, xenon or krypton cuz they're pretty darn rare and expensive to extract from other sources.
Oh. You say you'd like helium. Ok, that's a good choice but rememeber sound travels much faster in helium. So the sound in your throat is going to travel faster from end to end and you'll have a higher pitch when you talk. You'll sound funny.
Oh you say you'd like to genetically engineer that out. Ok we can write up a contract for that. If you and your family agree to get these alterations and perform the work that we've asked you to you will be granted full ownership of any habitable planet that you find out there that you choose that is unknown of as of yet.
By the authority of the president of this company authorized by the leader of this planet etc, etc,..

You get the idea.

aironoeus
September 9th, 2005, 09:46 AM
I liked SeaStallions idea for the glowing eyes best except that there is too much tissue in the way for that amount of light.
Just incase you don't like me making a suggestion that upsets the "humans only from earth" thing. Here's a scenerio I just thought of last night on my lunch break.
Not important really just throwing it out there just for amusement. Say one of those ancients way back when that was assigned to run around installing the stargates onto planets came across a habitable planet that wasn't detected for some reason by the ancients. Something masked or blocked it. So this ancient takes it upon him/herself as an individual that he/she's going to go check it out and he/she finds primitive life - very small mammals, insects etc.. He/she decides he/she's going to take 8 species or so of these rodents and alter their genes so that they will eventually evolve towards humans.
Behind the back no stargate installed on purpose. Hides it from everybody. Thinks he/she's doing what's best. Eventually this planet evolves to be these humans that I was just refering too in the previous post. Like a mid 22nd century earth. The ones that travel on ships that alter their throats. We'll until this whole Symbiote thing happens and it's the end of their civilization and two groups of ships escape the planet heading in opposite directions.
They go hide and make colonies.
One ends up being the Tollan many many years later and the other ends up being the Aeshen.
So there. That leaves us with the whole "humans came from earth only" rule being 99.5% percent true.
It's just an idea.

Ollock
September 9th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Holy friggin crud!
Ok, look. Right now you are breathing NITROGEN!
AS A BUFFER GAS!
UNDERSTAND BUFFER GAS.
You have no use for the NITROGEN THAT YOU ARE BREATHING RIGHT NOW AS YOU ARE READING THIS.
It is a buffer gas for peats sake! You only have a use for oxygen. Air is 78% nitrogen 21% oxygen.
I never said anything about a planet full of helium. I said that these fictitious long throated people would use it in their ships only. Get that? No?

I am fully aware that nitrogen forms the largest part of the atmosphere (Indeed the only reason I don't think the helium planet would work is because planets with atmospheres high in helium tend to be gas planets, which have inadequate rescources to support carbon-based life, even on a pre-oxygen respiration level.)

Now as for ships, what would be the practicality of using helium. Sure, an advanced race can get plenty of it from space, but in their sophistication they would likely tire of the novely of having a squeaky voice after a while. Plus, helium is much less dense than air, making it much harder to pressurize. I would predict the helium atmosphere would likely be a party trick for cruise ships, whereby a room is filled with pressurized helium for an hour or so for kicks, until guests got sufficient headaches as to cause them to leave for a while.

By the way, I do apologise for not reading more carefully. It seems I didn't understand the premise of your post completely.

Charles17
September 12th, 2005, 02:15 AM
glowing eyes explanation- when the symbiote enters the host, it releases naquadah into the blood for obvious reasons. naquadah isnt just a normal element- it has strange properties like... radium? things like radium glow... the 'unique protein marker' with naquadah in it creates a photochemical reaction. the naquadah glows. which makes sense because the first thing that happens to the host when a goauld enters it is that their eyes glow. and theyre able to use goauld technology pretty quickly after getting a new host. so...

goauld enters
releases whatever chemicals it releases, including naquadah protein marker
properties of naquadah causes photochemical reaction
eyes glow
and the host is able to use goauld tech

if u electrocute the host's brain until it glows... i think the damage would be irreparable... lol... even if u have a symbiote... lol

aironoeus
September 12th, 2005, 03:03 AM
You need to get the glow---------------> over to the eyes!
HELLO.

I can make glowing cr*p up all day long. But you have to make it show in the eyes.

SYMBIOTE-------------------distance----------------------> EYES

Vague generalizations of secreting this or that not only shows no specific target or amount of "Glowing chemical" or how it gets there, but now means mouth glow, ear glow, fingernail glow, an*s glow, this glow, that glow.
HELLO.
Add viable content below.

(Warning: Reading this post may require a larger attention span than used watching TV)

Lord §okar
September 12th, 2005, 04:03 AM
Argon, helium, krytpon, halogen, xenon.
But the thing is I don't think we're gonna be able to get any halogen, xenon or krypton cuz they're pretty darn rare and expensive to extract from other sources.
Halogen is not an element, let alone a noble gas. It is a group of elements, group VII, in fact. They are extremely toxic and ionize strongly negatively.

Charles17
September 12th, 2005, 04:10 AM
wasnt naquadah the element of interest o_O

Lord §okar
September 12th, 2005, 04:23 AM
aironeous wrote a reply to your post, I just corrected a trivial inaccuracy.

Ollock
September 12th, 2005, 05:23 PM
glowing eyes explanation- when the symbiote enters the host, it releases naquadah into the blood for obvious reasons. naquadah isnt just a normal element- it has strange properties like... radium? things like radium glow... the 'unique protein marker' with naquadah in it creates a photochemical reaction. the naquadah glows. which makes sense because the first thing that happens to the host when a goauld enters it is that their eyes glow. and theyre able to use goauld technology pretty quickly after getting a new host. so...

You were going good with the radon until you chaged the subject. Radon glows because it is radioactive. Though naquda is not as unstable as many other elements, it has been seen to give off radiation. Perhaps a critical mass in the blood vessels in the eye would cause a radiation 'flash'.

You need to get the glow---------------> over to the eyes!
HELLO.

I can make glowing cr*p up all day long. But you have to make it show in the eyes.

SYMBIOTE-------------------distance----------------------> EYES

Vague generalizations of secreting this or that not only shows no specific target or amount of "Glowing chemical" or how it gets there, but now means mouth glow, ear glow, fingernail glow, an*s glow, this glow, that glow.

He did say that there is naquda in the bloodstream. Since the blood vessels of the eye are close to the surface and can even become clearly visible in some cases, it follows that the 'glow' is more likely to appear there. In fact, this fits very well with the 'angry flash' of a Goa'uld, as intense fear or anger, as well as the act of telling a lie, can cause increased bloodflow to the eyes (defense mechanism).

Seastallion
September 13th, 2005, 03:05 AM

goauld enters
releases whatever chemicals it releases, including naquadah protein marker
properties of naquadah causes photochemical reaction
eyes glow
and the host is able to use goauld tech

if u electrocute the host's brain until it glows... i think the damage would be irreparable... lol... even if u have a symbiote... lol

:) I like it. It kinda makes sense. I think that it works very well in conjunction with my own little theory. Remembering that Naquada is a superconductor capable of inducting most forms of energy. The human body produces its own electrical field, allowing the host to operate Goa'uld technology, but probably not enough to cause a former-host eye's to glow. There would likely need to be an extra 'surge' of energy for that to occur. The Naquada in the blood probably doesn't do as much until charged via a symbiote electrical discharge. That way, it wouldn't need a huge electrical surge in the brain... just enough to effect a photochemical response on the fluid covering the eyes. That is just grand..! :D Well done. Your getting green from me. ;)

Three PhDs
September 13th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Man, why all the talk of radiation all of a sudden? I gave the simple solution back on the first page. Radiation is harmful to health, especially doses large enough to glow right next to the brain. :rolleyes:

Charles17
September 13th, 2005, 04:22 AM
it is a photochemical reaction... and u dont know if naquadah glowing is a form of harmful radiation. and keep in mind... this is all theoretical... because as far as the real world is concerned... the goauld dont actually exist... so chill out

Seastallion
September 13th, 2005, 05:27 AM
Man, why all the talk of radiation all of a sudden? I gave the simple solution back on the first page. Radiation is harmful to health, especially doses large enough to glow right next to the brain. :rolleyes:

As far as I know... naquada isn't radio active... or at least not enough to cause much harm. It is super-conductive, but that isn't the same as radio active. :)

Three PhDs
September 13th, 2005, 05:58 AM
I was referring to this:

You were going good with the radon until you chaged the subject. Radon glows because it is radioactive. Though naquda is not as unstable as many other elements, it has been seen to give off radiation. Perhaps a critical mass in the blood vessels in the eye would cause a radiation 'flash'.

Comparisons with a radioactive substance and use of the term critical mass...

Ollock
September 13th, 2005, 06:29 PM

Very true. Yet again, the writers have justified things that should be fatal before, as well as a few contradictions in their explanations. I'm just having some fun making up a theory.

Charles17
September 14th, 2005, 04:25 AM
muahahaha agreed

aironoeus
September 14th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Off from work- done with all my other regular web surfing of technology and alternative energy websites (just incase I get another one of those "don't you have anything else better to do?" comments).
Just read back through the thread that happened the last 2 days.
Yeah....noticed that I put halogen instead of neon. I was thinking neon and typed halogen. Whenever I think of neon I think "that's a halogen lamp" and then I write halogen. I think that's called a brain fart.
My question about the whole naquadah in the blood thing is why are we ruling out the eyes as the only place where it produces this reaction of light.

I'm familiar with the veins in the eyes thing because I can see my own macular degenerating eyes full of veins trying to grow over the outside surface onto the front despite my high Zeaxanthin/lutein intake.

But how are you differentiating the blood in the eyes from the blood in the rest of the body? What about the veins in the top of your mouth or everywhere else? Why not mouth glow? Are you saying that because there is salt in the fluid of the eye that this is what is causing the photochemical reaction? Are we back to the potassium naquadah thing and maybe now adding sodium to the mix? I still don't see how you've gotten EYE SPECIFIC.
You wouldn't have to if there was nothing in the way between the symbiote and the eyes but there is. There's lot's of tissue. You can get around that with the blood thing but now you have to get target specific. There are veins running everywhere in the body. Where is the direct route that leads to the eye veins from the lowerback of the head where the symbiote is?

I'm speculating for amusement that the symbiote creates a direct route immediately, in order to bypass all other details it has to squirt/inject/probe/force do something to get a direct route established between it and the eyes, so that it can see what the heck is going on. I'm saying it creates a secondary hook-up to the optical nerve that is then switched by the phtophores on its head which you never see because they only use them inside the body.

Oh yeah, I think you already know that radon gas doesn't glow. Turn your bathroom light off and see if it glows when it comes out of your shower head.
That's where most Americans experience radon gas is at the shower head. It seeps up through the ground (mostly granite rich earth) and wiggles its active little self through your metal water pipes into your water.
There are things that fluoresce in the presence of a radioactive source and radon is radioactive, so maybe that's why you are reffering to it "glowing" when it actually doesn't.

Ollock
September 14th, 2005, 04:34 PM
My question about the whole naquadah in the blood thing is why are we ruling out the eyes as the only place where it produces this reaction of light.

I'm familiar with the veins in the eyes thing because I can see my own macular degenerating eyes full of veins trying to grow over the outside surface onto the front despite my high Zeaxanthin/lutein intake.

But how are you differentiating the blood in the eyes from the blood in the rest of the body? What about the veins in the top of your mouth or everywhere else? Why not mouth glow? Are you saying that because there is salt in the fluid of the eye that this is what is causing the photochemical reaction? Are we back to the potassium naquadah thing and maybe now adding sodium to the mix? I still don't see how you've gotten EYE SPECIFIC.
You wouldn't have to if there was nothing in the way between the symbiote and the eyes but there is. There's lot's of tissue. You can get around that with the blood thing but now you have to get target specific. There are veins running everywhere in the body. Where is the direct route that leads to the eye veins from the lowerback of the head where the symbiote is?

I'm speculating for amusement that the symbiote creates a direct route immediately, in order to bypass all other details it has to squirt/inject/probe/force do something to get a direct route established between it and the eyes, so that it can see what the heck is going on. I'm saying it creates a secondary hook-up to the optical nerve that is then switched by the phtophores on its head which you never see because they only use them inside the body.

You have a good point there. I was thinking more that the reaction CAN and WILL occur in any area, but is particularly visble in the eyes where blood may be closer to the surfac (you can correct me on this if I'm wrong). I doubt the symbiote conciously makes the eyes flash, though with what we know about the god-voice, I dunno. Perhaps they do have a way of doing it voluntarily, perhaps to scare their human subjects with an 'angry god' act.

sg-daniel
September 26th, 2005, 12:46 AM
didn't vala use in TPTB a device that her voice sounded like a goa'uld? there, thats the answer ^^

for the eye-glow-thing i'll take one of the explanations that are already given.

iLemon
September 26th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Actually the Goa'uld spread us earthlings throughout this galaxy, it explains why almost all of us speak english. The Alterans spread life in the Pegasus Galaxy, and they created life on Earth, not sure how many other planets in our galaxy they created life in though.

Zekk
September 26th, 2005, 01:29 PM
HEY!!! :mad: My post was delleated How why its just wrong :mad: anyway if thats true than why did they say that they did

Den Sethos
September 27th, 2005, 01:34 PM
The Goa'uld spread Earthlings around the galaxy long before English even existed... English began to exist in its current form, detached from the Germanic languages, after the French invasion of 1066 by William the Conqueror... 1066 after JC... Long after Ra decided the weather did not fit him: energy bolts were flying too low for his taste...

Zekk
September 29th, 2005, 04:14 PM
OK any way the gou'alds eyes glow bcus......

...They Heard to many yo mama jokes.....j/k :D Oh cmon laugh ya know ya wanna:D

Ollock
October 2nd, 2005, 04:01 PM
Actually the Goa'uld spread us earthlings throughout this galaxy, it explains why almost all of us speak english. The Alterans spread life in the Pegasus Galaxy, and they created life on Earth, not sure how many other planets in our galaxy they created life in though.

Nope. The English dialog is just simplification. Unless there is a plot reason for there to be a language barrier, they generally assume that whatever language is spoken on another world is easily decipherable.

Zekk
October 2nd, 2005, 04:07 PM
^ NEVER SAY MG IS WRONG AGAIN OR ILL KILL YOU :mad:

Three PhDs
October 2nd, 2005, 04:24 PM
^ NEVER SAY MG IS WRONG AGAIN OR ILL KILL YOU :mad:
She still won't have sex with you.

Zekk
October 2nd, 2005, 04:27 PM
Yeah but ^ dont get none either :p