X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Science Fiction: It isn't just for geeks anymore

http://www.usavanguard.com/vnews/dis.../431658484edcd

In 1898, a British author named Herbert George Wells wrote a short novel called "War of the Worlds" about the Earth being invaded by Martians.

Despite his present-day acclaim as something of a prophet, it is doubtful Wells could have imagined the lasting effect his novel would have on the world.

What made his work so popular, then and now, is the way he tapped into issues that mattered to people. "War of the Worlds" was, among other things, a metaphor for the perils of imperialism, an issue that is as relevant today as it was in 1898.

So here we are, nearly 60 years after H.G. Wells drew his last breath, and many of us are still listening to and watching what his visionary children are saying.

It would appear, in fact, that being a science fiction enthusiast has become almost respectable these days, and self-professed sci-fi devotees aren't the only ones paying close attention.
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

mmm... Interesting
    sigpic

Comment

honestly, i stopped reading at "War of the Worlds was, among other things, a metaphor for the perils of imperialism, an issue that is as relevant today as it was in 1898."

i do agree that ScifFi isn't just for geeks anymore, its grown and its something which can appeal to anymore but personally, i hate people who try and understand some deep meaning in something. take the remake of WotW, maybe it was made because it has a good story and a popular director was interested in it, and not because of Americans polictial, dominance and influence on smaller countries

sigpic

Comment

I don't know... i kind of like having a monopoly on the genre. But if other people MUST join in then I suppose I could welcome them.

Kidding aside, it's nice to know that people's imaginations are becoming less limited. Scifi is just a method for dealing with many of societies issues some of them too touchy to be handled directly and hopefully with the new series coming this fall, more people will be able to see that it's not all technobable and brain eating monsters from outer space.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
          it's not all technobable and brain eating monsters from outer space.
          Isnt it
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

I never thought it was, (SciFi for Geeks, that is), but then again, I still play AD&D!

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Im probably alone in this thought, but i quite liked sci-fi being "underground". it was cool being part of the minority when other people were watching celebrity big brother, we were watching something that requires at least some attention and requires thought. I just quite liked the "going against the grain" as the cliche goes, but ah well! These days things need to be popular to keep going and make the all important producers money!

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

It was cool but we were the minority at least now we can talk to more people about it
                love Torri

Comment

Touché! It also makes us geeks trend setters!!!

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

I always used to be annoyed whenever anyone would mock sci-fi. But now it's becoming more mainstream, I miss being a geek . Nowadays liking what everybody else likes isn't cool any more. So what happens when everybody likes unpopular stuff?

Comment

lol, try living in Australia for a week and bringing up Si-fi, it's still a fuggin' geek thing here, stupid Australians all they want is rip offs of american and british TV and John Howard (the old ACTOR not the prime minister) in every show we make....
                      Thank god for the internet is all i can say.

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

Yes - Amen for the net
                        love Torri

Comment

*Hugs Sci-fi, crying*
                          No! Sci-Fi is for geeks! GOING AGAINST THE GRAIN PEOPLE! Oh well at least we still have fan..ta...say...
                          *thinks of LOTR*
                          NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO*Cough*OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
                          Anime?
                          *Gaining popularity*
                          Books?
                          *Harry Potter*
                          Video Games?
                          *World's fastest-growing industry*
                          Sheep?
                          *................................I don't wanna know.*
                          You go ahead, I'll be right behind you (In an F-302)
                          And now for a completely unconnected series of random smilies:

Comment

^ seems distressed
                            love Torri

Comment

I'm with Indum'kra! I love it when people roll their eyes at the mere mention of my liking sci-Fi. I'm a geek and proud of it! What if people start thinking I'm an average citizen, despite my unnecessary yet impressive knowledge of science fiction facts (particularly concerning SG-1), and my barely perceptible grasp on reality?!

Comment

Working...
                              X