Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NASA's "Prometheus" program in jeopardy.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NASA's "Prometheus" program in jeopardy.

Concerns over Nuclear reactors in space may ground NASA's real-life Prometheus before it's off the drawing board.

Personally, I have no problem with using nuclear reactors in space... I think most opposition is just reactionary.

-IMF
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

I really hate people that say that Nuclear power is dangerous, it perfectly safe as long as you maintain it, and efficient and practical too

Comment

But what if something goes wrong? There's no guarantee that it wont, accidents happen whether you like them or not, better safe than sorry.

sigpic
      Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
      Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

if it's in space then it's not that big of a deal, space it full of radiation

Comment

People can be pretty paranoid It seems like a pretty good idea but this bits got me a bit worried-

He says these by-products of fission could effectively "blind" space telescopes such as Hubble, Spitzer, and Swift if the reactors operated near the Earth, as they did in the past. "We didn't see a benefit of this technology for any kind of pure science that peers outside the solar system or does fundamental physics tests," he says.
          If theres anyway around it then I'm all for it. I love space exploration and this seems like a terrific idea.

sigpic
          Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
          Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

but isnt nasa designing a new engin/reactor the thermol ion engin i remember reading about it on the nasa page some where
            "only two things are infinate the universe and human stupidity and im not sure about the universe"

-albert einstein

Comment

Doesn't NASA store its Nuclear Generators during launch in a way that they can be reused if the rocket crashes? I think I read something like that on the other (real)Prometheus thread.
              JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
              VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
              MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
              LANDRY
              : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
              Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
              Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
              Mmm... Green...

Comment

People are all crazy about Nuclear reactors in space. They are perfectly safe. They aren't going to start the reaction here on earth, when the ship is in orbit the reactor will be brought online. If it did explode on the launchpad, there isn't that much radioactive material. The nuclear reactor they want to use would be more radioactive as time goes on. Plutonium reactors on the other had are far more radioactive when they are on the launchpad then the end of their lives, and these have already been used on a few probes.
                Before this day is done, I will feed on your buttery defiance

Comment

Asteroid 1950DA is ½ mile in diameter and slated to impact earth in 2880.
                  If we are to address this and other threats we will need the speed and endurance of nuclear propulsion.
                  No one can claim that nuclear is risk free, conversely not going nuclear has its own risks.
                  I Must have more Chicken!

Comment

Cool I made a thread about that , well we dont have to worry about 1950DA because by 2800 we'll have advanced enough to deflect any asteroids that is endangering this planet. Unless we get hit by a mile long one in the mean time i wouldnt worry about it. As for the nuke reactor in space who cares it cant harm us, people are only complaining about it for the sake of complaining about something
                    The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Originally posted by ColdZero
                      People are all crazy about Nuclear reactors in space. They are perfectly safe. They aren't going to start the reaction here on earth, when the ship is in orbit the reactor will be brought online. If it did explode on the launchpad, there isn't that much radioactive material. The nuclear reactor they want to use would be more radioactive as time goes on. Plutonium reactors on the other had are far more radioactive when they are on the launchpad then the end of their lives, and these have already been used on a few probes.
                      Never heard of a reactor like that, though haven't gone into much detail with reactors anyway. Care to elaborate?

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Plutonium reactors on the other had are far more radioactive when they are on the launchpad then the end of their lives, and these have already been used on a few probes.
                        Plutonium reactors?
                        Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

i think that people are extrememly paranoid about neuclear reactors, radiation in space is not a problem and getting them up there is about the only risk there would be to the general population which in its self is small, we're not talking about bombs in space that they would use on other countries i really fail to see the problem with it at all.

1. its safe to use in space and on earth if maintained with care, which is becoming safer every year.

2. creates huge amounts of power to sustain the planet.

3. next to no atmospheric contamination with the only exception being radioactive material which is treated in the safest manner.

4. advances in neuclear energy will open the human race to all sorts of new developments and will most certainly help in manned sapce exploration area, such as mars and so on.

i think the only drawbacks are it is expensive to use but im not the expert but in the long run the rewards are alot more to earth.
                          For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Well if there's real-life prometheus programe, then we just have to make real-life naquadah
                            I bet the Gateworld NASA ain't too happy you know. All that money for nothing.
                            You go ahead, I'll be right behind you (In an F-302)
                            And now for a completely unconnected series of random smilies:

Comment

Originally posted by McKay's girl
                              But what if something goes wrong? There's no guarantee that it wont, accidents happen whether you like them or not, better safe than sorry.
                              Yes accidents can happen but to follow the mantra of "better safe than sorry" would mean we'd never go into space again.

Anyone worried about the dangers of nuclear power for any use, be it space travel or to power our own society as opposed to relying on frakking oil, needs to look at the US Navy.

Comment

Working...
                              X