This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cure for aging

I'm no scientist so I'm not sure this is plausible but...

Transporters, whether Asgard, Wraith, or the Star Trek versions store a person's pattern so they can rematerialize them right?
    If that's the case, couldn't you simply store a previous pattern and have yourself rematerialized based on that pattern, say a younger version of yourself?

The fly in this plan is that you'd also lose any new memories formed after the pattern is stored... but if you're an Asgard you could always just save them and download them.

Does this make sense to anyone else but me?

It would be interesting to see someone using the method in the show.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Most physicists dont believe transporters could ever work

But in a fictional setting its possible

In Star Trek they said that the replicators couldnt clone people because replicators work at a 'molecular-level resolution' and transporters work at a 'quantum resolution'

The number of atoms in your body changes as you age - what if you got thinner where would you get the extra matter from?
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

Or they could just work on better medicinal technology. There was quite a stir on telomere research not too long ago.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Originally posted by Three PhDs
        Or they could just work on better medicinal technology. There was quite a stir on telomere research not too long ago.
        True, but I don't know if any of that research has panned out. Telomerase is an enzyme that keeps DNA on the end of chromosomes from degrading each time the DNA is duplicated when a cell divides. Apparently later in life there is either less telomerase or it is less active, which some researchers think contributes to aging via chromosome degradation. They think that reactivating or preventing the telomerase from shutting down would help prevent aging, but I'm not completely convinced yet.

Also, keep in mind that telomerase has been reactivated in a lot of human cancers, presumably to prevent chromosomal degradation due to the cancer cell's increased division rate. So it's possible that keeping the telomerase on may actually lead to cancer, rather than or in addition to preventing aging. Any research in this area needs to take this into consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
          Most physicists dont believe transporters could ever work

But in a fictional setting its possible

In Star Trek they said that the replicators couldnt clone people because replicators work at a 'molecular-level resolution' and transporters work at a 'quantum resolution'

The number of atoms in your body changes as you age - what if you got thinner where would you get the extra matter from?
          Good point. The tedious and somewhat ridiculous solution to that is you'd have to do this everyday so that there are no significant changes. ie. Restore yourself at the end of each day to the pattern of that morning.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Or more simply we could just "borrow" Asgard technology that allows them to download their consciousnesses into clones.............when you get old clone yourself a younger body and brain swap into it!

Would keep you going for a few thousand years at least

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalAscended
              Or more simply we could just "borrow" Asgard technology that allows them to download their consciousnesses into clones.............when you get old clone yourself a younger body and brain swap into it!

Would keep you going for a few thousand years at least
              As long as the consciousness database isn't running on Windows...

Blue screen of death indeed.

Comment

Right now, there is only 1 sure fire cure for aging: death.

-IMF
                "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Very funny IMF
                  gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                  so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                  love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman

-IMF
                    Yes, it is very effective isn't it. And you don't even need a health plan to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                      True, but I don't know if any of that research has panned out. Telomerase is an enzyme that keeps DNA on the end of chromosomes from degrading each time the DNA is duplicated when a cell divides. Apparently later in life there is either less telomerase or it is less active, which some researchers think contributes to aging via chromosome degradation. They think that reactivating or preventing the telomerase from shutting down would help prevent aging, but I'm not completely convinced yet.

Also, keep in mind that telomerase has been reactivated in a lot of human cancers, presumably to prevent chromosomal degradation due to the cancer cell's increased division rate. So it's possible that keeping the telomerase on may actually lead to cancer, rather than or in addition to preventing aging. Any research in this area needs to take this into consideration.
                      The telomere is involved in the so-called "programmed cell death" mechanism, i.e. a cell can only divide so many times before it will no longer possess the ability to do so, and eventually die.
                      It's often attributed to aging.
                      However, cell death is a crucial part of cancer fighting mechanism in long-living species like us. Each time a cell divide, some mutations are bound to occur. Most of them are harmless, but if a cell divide enough times, the probability of a cancer causing mutation increases drastically.
                      Programmed Cell Death basically says, I'd rather have cells die than to have them mutate into cancerous cells. You can have cells replaced by going to your cell reservoir: stem cells. However, if the cells turn cancerous you are screwed.
                      Therefore, medical science must find ways to revert mutations before thinking about turning on telomerase to shut down Programmed Cell Death.
                      "Thermodynamics is the only physical theory of universal content which, within the framework of the applicability of its basic concepts, I am convinced will never be overthrown." — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman

-IMF
                        Right, and that's a perfectly fine and natural thing. I wholly resent the term "cure for aging", anyway. Getting older is not a disease, it's a natural part of our journey through life, not to mention it helps keep the world from becoming horribly overcrowded. I really don't understand people who want to live forever, or who get Botox (which is derived from a food bacteria, incidentally, people), instead of embracing their smile lines, forehead creases, and so on; "History Lines", I like to call them.
                        Anyway, that's how I feel about it.

Comment

Why not just buy anti-aging cream
                          The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

It's unknown yet if their aging has been effected, but these Miracle Mice can regenerate any organ but their brains.

-IMF
                            "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                            "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                            BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

u no for an advanced race like the asgard they shure are stupid

Comment

Working...
                              X