X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Braga on 'Threshold' Of Moving On

http://www.trektoday.com/news/300805_03.shtml

Former executive producer Brannon Braga spoke about mistakes he thinks he made on Star Trek and his hopes for his new series Threshold. Having just turned 40, a milestone about which he said he was insecure - "Don't call me sir. Call me dude. It makes me feel more useful" - the longtime Star Trek writer said that there are things he would change about everything.......

Fans, however, were more interested in talking about Braga's last series, particularly its finale, "These Are the Voyages..." "Why do it?" asked one viewer of having The Next Generation's Riker and Troi dominate the storyline. Braga insisted that he loved the episode while writing it, though he could not speak for his partner and fellow executive producer Rick Berman. Still, he said, he understood that it was controversial, not only with fans but with many of the series stars, with the ironic exception of Connor Trinneer whose character died a hero's death. Even Jonathan Frakes (Riker) had expressed sympathy to Scott Bakula (Archer) about his lack of screen time.

As to whether a "reboot" would work for Star Trek as it has for Battlestar Galactica, which Braga's former writing partner Ron Moore has suggested might be necessary, Braga said he did not believe it could be done. The original Battlestar Galactica, he noted, "was relatively - relatively speaking to Star Trek - very short lived, and did not have anywhere near the fan base that Star Trek has." Moreover, he thinks that the darker themes of the new Galactica would not necessarily appeal to fans, noting that many people believed Enterprise should have been similarly dark and gritty, but "I personally feel that one of the things that distinguishes Star Trek is its positive outlook, so I happen to disagree with that."
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

alas!!!! B&B is acceptingdefeat, well at least some responsibility for his action in killing the last episode of ENT, what an ass, my veiw on the episode was very poor indeed, i liked TNG but i myself do not accept his explaination for that atrosity of a show finaly getting its bearings in the franchise to just kill it.

i guess qasimjavid you are like me with a deep dislike to B&B for his actions, im not holding on for any more startrek shows films or whatever for me its over and to many of my esteemed fans of such shows we all see stargate not as a substitute for ST but a fresh show worthy of support and fan aapreciation.

anyway sorry for the spelling im off to bed now.
    For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

I dislike the fact that Star Trek was destroyed and none of the Trek PTB noticed what they were doing
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

What I really wonder is why everyone seems to think that you need to go dark and brooding in order to have a series that has a real story and a plot. Would it really be impossible to have a well crafted, thought out story spanning several seasons that´s also in line with the general Star Trek feeling (which I personally would rather not have )?

I do agree with Braga that a restart is impossible, at least it will have to wait another 10-20 years with nothing being done before such a thing is acceptable to me.

I do disagree with Braga in that having a darker feeling in a series would be bad for Star Trek, they could start things out on very dark tones and then as the series progresses tha values that ST is all about would gradually safe the day. I do however realise that many of the hardcore ST fans would have heart attacks if things were done the way I would want them done but perhaps the time as come to attract new fans by doing fresh things, things that haven´t been time and again in the ST universe.

Comment

Working...
        X