PDA

View Full Version : SG1 - TV Guide Online: Ask Matt - Aug. 29th - Vala - Season 10?

morjana
August 29th, 2005, 03:01 AM
From TV Guide Online:

http://www.tvguide.com/tv/roush/askmatt

(Please follow the link to read the COMPLETE column.)

ASK MATT

Question:

I love your column! Is the character of Vala on Stargate SG-1 now a permanent cast member? I think she is a great addition to the cast, and I hope she isn't gone forever (after last week's episode). I think she adds more fun to SG-1 and would love to see her again. — Niki

Matt Roush:

As I asked around about this, I dug up a little scoop that Claudia Black, who plays Vala, will return for two episodes in the back half of SG-1's season, to air in the winter. I agree that she's a blast, even if some of the show's longtime fans seem disgruntled that other characters were marginalized during the Vala-Daniel Jackson arc, including new cast member Ben Browder. (For all those Farscape fans who've been writing in to grouse that Browder has been underutilized, I've been assured that he'll be more prominent in upcoming episodes.) As for Vala's becoming a permanent fixture, that would have to wait for next season, if then, and there's not even a deal in place yet for a 10th season (although I have no reason to doubt there will be one).

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

Qasim
August 29th, 2005, 03:07 AM
Thanks

Back for 2 eps - maybe she will die this time

prion
August 29th, 2005, 03:58 AM
Thanks

A fan posted on SG1_Spoilme that Michael Shanks divulged at this past weekend's con that Vala will be in episode #19.

Qasim
August 29th, 2005, 04:03 AM
Ooh..end of season a good time to die

shockwave
August 29th, 2005, 04:43 AM
I hope they make Vala a regular

MediaSavant
August 29th, 2005, 05:34 AM
Three pieces of good news here:

1.) Vala back
2.) More exposure for Ben in coming episodes
3.) Strong possibility of a season 10.

Aeryn/Vala
August 29th, 2005, 05:45 AM
Thanks

Oh no!!!!! :eek:
You don't like Vala, do you???

Qasim
August 29th, 2005, 05:58 AM
I dont mind her but I think she should die

Osiris
August 29th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Vala is great! :D I can't wait to see her back! She needs some more scenes with Sam. LOL

flynn1959
August 29th, 2005, 06:25 AM

Maybe Carter will be the one to die and Vala will replace her.

Qasim
August 29th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Maybe Carter will be the one to die and Vala will replace her.In that case I will never watch Stargate again

gilthoniel
August 29th, 2005, 07:05 AM

I could live with that. Coming back in the last two epsiodes is great timing to be set up as a regular for season 10. What great news! I was very much hoping that Joe's hint about "that character" in Crusade would be Vala. TPTB must be really pleased to get her back - the show has never had so much great publicity in major publications/websites as they have got from her.

Elbereth

Kalliope
August 29th, 2005, 07:11 AM
I could live with that. Coming back in the last two epsiodes is great timing to be set up as a regular for season 10. What great news! I was very much hoping that Joe's hint about "that character" in Crusade would be Vala. TPTB must be really pleased to get her back - the show has never had so much great publicity in major publications/websites as they have got from her.

Elbereth

But unfortunately some morons are not able to get it... I really don't understand some people on this board. Vala is without any doubt the best thing that could happen to SG-1.

Qasim
August 29th, 2005, 07:13 AM
But unfortunately some morons are not able to get it... I really don't understand some people on this board. Vala is without any doubt the best thing that could happen to SG-1.The morons are the people who call other people morons for having different opinions

Vala was in no way the best thing to happen to SG1 - the return of Sam was much better IMO

scaryperson
August 29th, 2005, 07:30 AM
That is just plain wrong, focussing on WANTING a character to die immensely when they aren't even evil... Vala has proven to be a good character, and i personally would ike her to come back, but if she HAS died permanently, she died in an honourable way

That too is immensely crazy!!! Did you not like SG-1 BEFORE season 9? Carter is integral to the whole dynamic of the show, RDA has already left, and if Carter was killed off...then what would become of SG-1? There's already very few original characters left :S

Fair enough, these are my opinions, take them as you so wish...

About the argueing of opinions, opinions are just that, when you phrase them as opinions, like "i think" or "i would like!"
yes, obviously people will disagree on points, but to just insult and say "that opinion is stupid" etc. and name calling isn't a good way to get anybody to listen.

Qasim
August 29th, 2005, 07:34 AM
I would just like to thank the person who gave me red along with this comment
Frelling idiot... because I did not want Sam to die

Qasim
August 29th, 2005, 07:35 AM
That is just plain wrong, focussing on WANTING a character to die immensely when they aren't even evil... Vala has proven to be a good character, and i personally would ike her to come back, but if she HAS died permanently, she died in an honourable wayI do not think that she adds much to the series and the only way to get rid of her permanently is too kill her off

prion
August 29th, 2005, 08:33 AM

1.) Vala back

i agree. I miss Vala. She added some spark to the show, but more exposure for Ben is good news in my book.

And let's hope the ninnies at Scifi stop giving away the last ten minutes in their ads. ;)

Osiris
August 29th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Why should one replace the other?! There aren't enough regular female character in Stargate SG-1.

I love both Sam and Vala! :D

Starting a fight Sam vs Vala is worthless.

scaryperson
August 29th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Why should one replace the other?! There aren't enough regular female character in Stargate SG-1.

I love both Sam and Vala! :D
Finally! Someone sane! :p
Why should it be a contest? It's not like Sam and Vala are even similar :rolleyes:

--Tan

Qasim
August 29th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Why should it be a contest?
--Tan
It doesnt have to be until people like this come along

Osiris
August 29th, 2005, 09:29 AM
:D Both Sam & Vala rock! I'd like see them kick some ass using ribbon device! Like the Ribbon twins. LOL

Kalliope
August 29th, 2005, 09:38 AM
:D Both Sam & Vala rock! I'd like see them kick some ass using ribbon device! Like the Ribbon twins. LOL

LOL

I hope both Claudia and Amanda are going to surprise us all, but of course it dependes on the writers, whether they are smart enough to make them not rivals, but potential friends. I'd love to see both girls on the mission together, without boys :D

Aeryn/Vala
August 29th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Neither Vala nor Sam should die!! No one should replace the other one!!! Vala and Sam in SG1 would be great!!

Jace021903
August 29th, 2005, 09:53 AM
by MediaSavant

1.) Vala back

Yay, on all three counts. :D

Jace

Sum1
August 29th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Neither Vala nor Sam should die!! No one should replace the other one!!! Vala and Sam in SG1 would be great!!

I highly doubt a five person team would happen. I remember reading Robert C. Cooper saying that having five people on the team was too much and that was why Corin Nemec couldn't stay in season 7. If they were to add a fifth person to the team now, that would just be asking him to cause problems, and he would be quite justified in doing so, IMHO.

Kalliope
August 29th, 2005, 10:41 AM
4 men and 1 woman is wrong, but 3 men and 2 women is perfectly OK, IMO :D

Osiris
August 29th, 2005, 01:58 PM
4 men and 1 woman is wrong, but 3 men and 2 women is perfectly OK, IMO :D

Agree!!! :D

I just wanna see Sam & Vala trapped together on some planet as well. Or on a special mission... dunno.

PG15
August 29th, 2005, 01:58 PM

But how is that different from what you're saying?

Damn, and I hoped that I could avoid spoilers.

AGateFan
August 29th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Stargate SG-1 the show about the team is a great show. It was great before Vala and it will continue to be great whether Vala is present or not. It will be a great show, that is, as long as TPTB remember this is a Team show and as long as they don't lose the SG-1 formula that has made the show so successful for so long i.e. not to angsty, not too shippy, not too depresssing, not to 'artsy' ... just a fun action adventure with a dash of seriousness.

It goes without saying that the more of the original characters you can keep the better. After all if people werent fans of these characters the show wouldnt have lasted for so long. But if you can add a good character here or there without distracting from the Team and without changing the tone of the show and in a way that makes since in the context of the story and the SG-1 formula then thats great!

As for this artical, this is not exactly a Matt Rouch scoop. I think many gateworld posters (including myself) had said we were pretty sure Vala would be back for the season finally. He just confirmed what was pretty obvious. Now if he can confirm Season 10...then I will be impressed.

scaryperson
August 29th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Vala and Sam working together :p i can see Vala would have to maybe work on Sam for that :p Sam seemed very wary of Vala :D lol

I don't particularly want anyone of SG-1 to die! It would be a huge shame :(

lol
--Tan

Pitry
August 29th, 2005, 02:44 PM
As for this artical, this is not exactly a Matt Rouch scoop. I think many gateworld posters (including myself) had said we were pretty sure Vala would be back for the season finally. He just confirmed what was pretty obvious. Now if he can confirm Season 10...then I will be impressed.

I shall hazard a guess. Coming November 2005 the Scifi Channel will remember to say "yes, we want season 10". It has been taking longer and longer each year, after all...

SunKrux
August 29th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Thanks

In that case I will never watch Stargate again

No offense, but you started it. See all the posts you've made to this thread from the beginning.

You are entitled to your opinion, just as the rest of us are. ;) Btw, did you ever stop to think that the reason certain people are not happy with you is that you have repeatedly stated that you wish for their fav character to die. Would you not feel the same way if I (just for kicks and giggles here) said repeatedly that I wanted Sam to die?

Not that I want EITHER character to die, I'm just trying to get you to see it from another perspective. :D Don't hate me cause I LOVE both characters. ;) (((((qasimjavid))))))

Why does it have to be either OR? Considering that so many (other) fans actually LOVE both characters to me it seems the most logical thing to have Vala a repeat character and keep Sam where she is. Hopefully that's what will happen now that we know that Vala will be back! :D

*doesn't squee so does her happy "Claudia will be back" dance.

Shipperahoy
August 29th, 2005, 06:36 PM
I actually wouldn't mind if they had both Vala and Sam on the show as regulars IF they made Vala more like she was in her last episode. She was more understated and less "Look at me! Look at me!" and she was actually gelling with the team (I loved the basketball scene). My only problem with the Vala character is that she's sort of a vacuum. She sucks every ounce of attention towards her character. When she was around during the earlier eps none of the other characters that I like and/or would be interested in getting to know got any kind of focus at all and I felt that was detrimental for the Mitchell character since he was a new face and Teal'c was once again reduced to wallpaper (I know...what's new).

Sum1
August 29th, 2005, 06:42 PM
I actually wouldn't mind if they had both Vala and Sam on the show as regulars IF they made Vala more like she was in her last episode. She was more understated and less "Look at me! Look at me!" and she was actually gelling with the team (I loved the basketball scene). My only problem with the Vala character is that she's sort of a vacuum. She sucks every ounce of attention towards her character. When she was around during the earlier eps none of the other characters that I like and/or would be interested in getting to know got any kind of focus at all and I felt that was detrimental for the Mitchell character since he was a new face and Teal'c was once again reduced to wallpaper (I know...what's new).
I agree that Beachhead did seem like a more "classic" SG-1 episode in its focus on the team members, but my guess this is because it was written by Brad Wright - he's got that style to his episodes.

The Vala character in Beachhead though still seemed to have made too far of a leap, IMHO, from the previous episodes. Her personality from the previous episodes made it seem like she was definetely not the type of person to sacrifice herself for others. I wouldn't be surprised if Beachhead was written separately and tagged on without reviewng the previous episodes.

the fifth man
August 29th, 2005, 07:55 PM
I could live with the two of them on the series, but for me, Vala would have to tune it down a bit. Not too much, but a bit. Nice to know know she'll be back this season. Sweet!!

Kalliope
August 29th, 2005, 11:57 PM
I agree that Beachhead did seem like a more "classic" SG-1 episode in its focus on the team members, but my guess this is because it was written by Brad Wright - he's got that style to his episodes.

The Vala character in Beachhead though still seemed to have made too far of a leap, IMHO, from the previous episodes. Her personality from the previous episodes made it seem like she was definetely not the type of person to sacrifice herself for others. I wouldn't be surprised if Beachhead was written separately and tagged on without reviewng the previous episodes.

Doesn't agree at all. Even after 6 episodes we don't know real Vala. What we know about her past? What she was like as a teenager or BEFORE being taken as a Goul'd host. I'd love to know it personally, 'cause it would help to understand her doings now. Vala is extremely lonely and starving for friendship, but nobody seems to notice it. I'd love to see an episode with just Vala and Sam, having to work with each other for a while and having a conversation in the meantime. I bet there're things Vala would never tell Daniel, but another woman is completely different matter. Just give her this chance.

the_cadpig
August 30th, 2005, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Sum1:
I highly doubt a five person team would happen. I remember reading Robert C. Cooper saying that having five people on the team was too much and that was why Corin Nemec couldn't stay in season 7. If they were to add a fifth person to the team now, that would just be asking him to cause problems, and he would be quite justified in doing so, IMHO.

I really don't think a five person team was the major issue in that circumstance. I think the problem was that Daniel and Jonus basically served the same function on the team. They were the same 'type' of character. Yes, they were both individualized to an extent, but let's face it, Jonus's mindset and his character as written were pretty much the same as Daniel's. Two characters who were so alike in personality like that on the same team on a regular basis would become stale, hard to write for, and both characters would suffer for it. They'd be competing for the same actions and dialogue.

Vala, on the other hand, is like no one else on the team. She is her own character. In no way is she 'interchangeable' with anyone else. She brings a new dynamic for the other characters to play off of. And that is a good thing, IMHO. I personally think that Amanda and Claudia (and, by extension, Vala and Sam) would get on like gangbusters. I'd love to see those two working together. I remember reading how Amanda and Teryl made it a point that they weren't going let their characters fall into stereotype and act catty towards each other, and what you saw develop was a strong female friendship. I really appreciated that. And I think Claudia would be of the same mindset. It would be great to see another prominent female on SG-1 who could stick around and develop a good rapport with Sam. Maybe they could learn a thing or two from each other.

Who knows? I think it could be interesting.

Kalliope
August 30th, 2005, 01:09 AM
I really don't think a five person team was the major issue in that circumstance. I think the problem was that Daniel and Jonus basically served the same function on the team. They were the same 'type' of character. Yes, they were both individualized to an extent, but let's face it, Jonus's mindset and his character as written were pretty much the same as Daniel's. Two characters who were so alike in personality like that on the same team on a regular basis would become stale, hard to write for, and both characters would suffer for it. They'd be competing for the same actions and dialogue.

Vala, on the other hand, is like no one else on the team. She is her own character. In no way is she 'interchangeable' with anyone else. She brings a new dynamic for the other characters to play off of. And that is a good thing, IMHO. I personally think that Amanda and Claudia (and, by extension, Vala and Sam) would get on like gangbusters. I'd love to see those two working together. I remember reading how Amanda and Teryl made it a point that they weren't going let their characters fall into stereotype and act catty towards each other, and what you saw develop was a strong female friendship. I really appreciated that. And I think Claudia would be of the same mindset. It would be great to see another prominent female on SG-1 who could stick around and develop a good rapport with Sam. Maybe they could learn a thing or two from each other.

:) :) :)

Aeryn/Vala
August 30th, 2005, 02:56 AM

Did you read my mind?? :D

I really wanna know if this is true what Vala told Daniel in his room in TTTB!!

Sum1
August 30th, 2005, 06:00 AM

The place I read this was on RDA's website. Click here (http://www.rdanderson.com/stargate/scenes/cooper.htm) to read what Robert Cooper said about why Jonas couldn't stay. It's almost at the end of the whole thing.

smurf
August 30th, 2005, 07:40 AM
The place I read this was on RDA's website. Click here (http://www.rdanderson.com/stargate/scenes/cooper.htm) to read what Robert Cooper said about why Jonas couldn't stay. It's almost at the end of the whole thing.
Interesting article (esp. the Ben Browder mention).
The reply about Jonas does demonstrate how utterly conventional Stargate SG-1 is. Four characters being the best scenario, or the easiest?

Firefly had 8 main characters and still managed to keep them all alive in each episode.

Sum1
August 30th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Interesting article (esp. the Ben Browder mention).
The reply about Jonas does demonstrate how utterly conventional Stargate SG-1 is. Four characters being the best scenario, or the easiest?

Firefly had 8 main characters and still managed to keep them all alive in each episode.

My point is that by publicly saying that five people was too much, adding Vala as a fifth person later would essentially be giving Corin Nemec an excuse to take action.

Kalliope
August 30th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Well... the best scenario would be "feel free to join us whenever you want to", which wouldn't be exactly "regular", but "almost regular".

MediaSavant
August 30th, 2005, 08:23 AM
My point is that by publicly saying that five people was too much, adding Vala as a fifth person later would essentially be giving Corin Nemec an excuse to take action.

Not really. What producers say are the reasons for not bringing back characters are occasionally "white lies" designed to protect an actor's reputation.

On another show I'm familiar with, an actor just wasn't working out and the "people with the money" ordered the producers to replace him.

Of course, producers are never going to make a public statement about the actor not working out. A statement like that can tarnish an actor's reputation. So, they make up something that sounds like it's story-driven. They are basically doing the actor a favor.

(by not identifying the actor or the show, I'm essentially doing the same thing)

I'm not aware of what the case is with Corin Nemec, but I would never assume that public statements about actor's dismissals or replacement are the absolute truth.

There's also cases where a writer might change their mind. The statement about four being ideal, doesn't seem like a "carved in stone" statement to me.

Sum1
August 30th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Not really. What producers say are the reasons for not bringing back characters are occasionally "white lies" designed to protect an actor's reputation.

On another show I'm familiar with, an actor just wasn't working out and the "people with the money" ordered the producers to replace him.

Of course, producers are never going to make a public statement about the actor not working out. A statement like that can tarnish an actor's reputation. So, they make up something that sounds like it's story-driven. They are basically doing the actor a favor.

(by not identifying the actor or the show, I'm essentially doing the same thing)

I'm not aware of what the case is with Corin Nemec, but I would never assume that public statements about actor's dismissals or replacement are the absolute truth.

There's also cases where a writer might change their mind. The statement about four being ideal, doesn't seem like a "carved in stone" statement to me.
Of course they're "white lies", but that doesn't mean he couldn't try to stir up some trouble with them if they did add a fifth person.

Steve_the_Wraith
August 30th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Great Vala's returning :D

One step closer to my dream of an Anti Sg-1

Mayborne (Anti-Jack)
Vala (Anti-Danniel)
McKay (Anti-Carter)
? - (Anti-Teal'c)

No Power in the universe can stop them. Mwahahaha!

Wait you didn't see that ;) :p

gilthoniel
August 30th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Of course they're "white lies", but that doesn't mean he couldn't try to stir up some trouble with them if they did add a fifth person.

Not if he ever wants to work again.

Elbereth

Kalliope
August 30th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Not if he ever wants to work again.

Elbereth

Right, if he doesn't want to be "dead" in the industry, he won't do it.

smurf
August 30th, 2005, 01:45 PM

I doubt he would since he's repeatedly stated he'd be happy to return, and he doesn't strike me as the type of person who'd want to do that if it was a problematic leaving.
Not being able to write a 5 man team and the money issue are very useful traditional excuses. More likely he got stuck in the middle of some political wrangling, and now TPTB think the character is too much of the old SG-1 to be seen again.

Invoking contractual issues is not going to kill his career. Although I expect, being an experienced actor and having a 2 year contract, he got paid rather well for doing not very much in season 7.

Rhondagirl
August 30th, 2005, 02:24 PM

1.) Vala back

Vala added much needed spark to an otherwise smoldering series. Dr. Daniel Jackson, smolder, smolder smolder. Tealc, smolder, smolder, smolder. Cam Shaft, hot, smolder, smolder, smolder, hot! The place was totally alive when she was there. Keep Carter, I think Vala could loosen her up!

Did I say Cam Shaft was HOT!

Rhondagirl
August 30th, 2005, 02:25 PM

1.) Vala back

Vala added much needed spark to an otherwise smoldering series. Dr. Daniel Jackson, smolder, smolder smolder. Tealc, smolder, smolder, smolder. Cam Shaft, hot, smolder, smolder, smolder, hot! The place was totally alive when she was there. Keep Carter, I think Vala could loosen her up!

Did I say Cam Shaft was HOT?!!

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
August 30th, 2005, 02:32 PM
I hope so, too. I can't see her as a cast member.

prion
August 30th, 2005, 02:49 PM
I hope so, too. I can't see her as a cast member.

I think a lot of people are worrying needlessly. There's no indication that VAla (Claudia Black) is nothing more than a guest character/actor, although if anybody decided to leave and they needed a fourth, I'd nominate her :)

kaydee
August 30th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Hi to all stargaters
I'm new to forums. I must have my say, I love Vala and I'm very happy to here that she is going to return.
I'm praying we get a season 10 as I would love to see a lot more of Vala's history and see how Vala will change because of being around our Daniel.
It would be great to see Sam and Vala both as regulars on the show.
I loved Claudia Black in Farscape but I love her more as Vala.
LONG LIVE STARGATE SG1

Kalliope
August 30th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Hi to all stargaters
I'm new to forums. I must have my say, I love Vala and I'm very happy to here that she is going to return.
I'm praying we get a season 10 as I would love to see a lot more of Vala's history and see how Vala will change because of being around our Daniel.
LONG LIVE STARGATE SG1

Welcome aboard! Great to see another person who likes Vala... :)

Aeryn/Vala
August 31st, 2005, 01:52 AM
Hi to all stargaters
LONG LIVE STARGATE SG1

Welcome aboard! And welcome to the "We love Vala (and Claudia Black)"-association :D

somme
August 31st, 2005, 02:06 AM
I want Vala to drug Daniel and take him to another planet and get "married" to him.

TheCorpulent1
August 31st, 2005, 05:53 AM
I think a lot of people are worrying needlessly. There's no indication that VAla (Claudia Black) is nothing more than a guest character/actor, although if anybody decided to leave and they needed a fourth, I'd nominate her :)
I agree that Vala should remain nothing more than a guest star. Vala's like that really obnoxious acquaintance that everyone has. In small doses, they're fine--hell, they may even be a lot of fun--but they overstay their welcome pretty quickly. Not to mention the fact that she completely changes the tone of the series when she's there, which is, again, fun for a time but ultimately I like SG-1's original tone and I prefer it over the Daniel & Vala Comedy Hour.

That said, some of the guest stars on the show have grown to be some of my favorite characters, namely Walter, Bra'tac, and Jacob. If they use Vala the right way with frequent guest appearances, she could potentially become a great character. Her experience with the Lucian Alliance and now the Ori would actually make her useful, too, instead of the seemingly random tag-along she was in the first few episodes.

Piratejenna
August 31st, 2005, 11:04 AM
I agree that Vala should remain nothing more than a guest star. Vala's like that really obnoxious acquaintance that everyone has. In small doses, they're fine--hell, they may even be a lot of fun--but they overstay their welcome pretty quickly. Not to mention the fact that she completely changes the tone of the series when she's there, which is, again, fun for a time but ultimately I like SG-1's original tone and I prefer it over the Daniel & Vala Comedy Hour.

That said, some of the guest stars on the show have grown to be some of my favorite characters, namely Walter, Bra'tac, and Jacob. If they use Vala the right way with frequent guest appearances, she could potentially become a great character. Her experience with the Lucian Alliance and now the Ori would actually make her useful, too, instead of the seemingly random tag-along she was in the first few episodes.
From CB herself in her latest interview (Starburst #328):
"Vala is something to be treasured and, perhaps, enjoyed in small doses." I suppose it's possible that TPTB may make her an offer she can't refuse for Season 10, but the way CB is talking it sounds as though she's happier to remain a guest star.

Kalliope
August 31st, 2005, 11:49 AM
From CB herself in her latest interview (Starburst #328):
"Vala is something to be treasured and, perhaps, enjoyed in small doses." I suppose it's possible that TPTB may make her an offer she can't refuse for Season 10, but the way CB is talking it sounds as though she's happier to remain a guest star.

This way she has more time for another projects, definitely :)
I can hardly wait to read the whole interview, already ordered a copy of this Starburst issue, but if Visimag.com is gonna stick to their "allow 28 days for delivery" it won't be earlier than second half of September :(

gatestuff
August 31st, 2005, 12:49 PM
I agree that Vala should remain nothing more than a guest star. Vala's like that really obnoxious acquaintance that everyone has. In small doses, they're fine--hell, they may even be a lot of fun--but they overstay their welcome pretty quickly. Not to mention the fact that she completely changes the tone of the series when she's there, ....

Not if the writers develop the cheracter. It is perfectly reasonable for Vala to become more serious because of what she's seen from the Orii. This would take time, but the change itself could be a subplot if she became a regular. Personally, I'd love to see it, even if it meant no more Carter.

shockwave
August 31st, 2005, 01:15 PM
Not if the writers develop the cheracter. It is perfectly reasonable for Vala to become more serious because of what she's seen from the Orii. This would take time, but the change itself could be a subplot if she became a regular. Personally, I'd love to see it, even if it meant no more Carter.
yeah, she good on the way to being more serious with TPTB and Beachhead

TheCorpulent1
August 31st, 2005, 04:49 PM
True, but the operative word is "if." TPTB didn't show much growth in the character in the glaringly obvious place, which was after her getting burned alive. She got healed right up and the very next episode she was cavorting around on tables, eating fruit and cracking jokes. "The Powers That Be" did a better job of developing her, and if she became a regular (not at the expense of Carter, mind you) and behaved in much the same way as she did there, I wouldn't mind it. It's just the constant wisecracking and innuendo-laden dialogue that irks me when she's on. CB's a great actress though, and, given more to work with, I'm sure she could make Vala a great character. Right now, however, I'd have to agree with CB's own quote that Piratejenna posted: Vala's best in small doses.

stargatejo
August 31st, 2005, 05:30 PM
you do know that giving more time to one character takes away from another. Someone that has been on the show for 9 yrs.!

Erik Bloodaxe
August 31st, 2005, 10:32 PM
I do not think that she adds much to the series and the only way to get rid of her permanently is too kill her off

Tell that to Daniel. ;)

-Bloodaxe

Erik Bloodaxe
August 31st, 2005, 10:39 PM

So, what fate do you wish upon those you hate w/ a passion? j/k :D

-Bloodaxe

Kalliope
August 31st, 2005, 11:08 PM
So, what fate do you wish upon those you hate w/ a passion? j/k :D

-Bloodaxe

Good question...

gatestuff
September 1st, 2005, 10:00 AM
True, but the operative word is "if." TPTB didn't show much growth in the character in the glaringly obvious place, which was after her getting burned alive. She got healed right up and the very next episode she was cavorting around on tables, eating fruit and cracking jokes. "The Powers That Be" did a better job of developing her, and if she became a regular (not at the expense of Carter, mind you) and behaved in much the same way as she did there, I wouldn't mind it. It's just the constant wisecracking and innuendo-laden dialogue that irks me when she's on. CB's a great actress though, and, given more to work with, I'm sure she could make Vala a great character. Right now, however, I'd have to agree with CB's own quote that Piratejenna posted: Vala's best in small doses.

I basically agree with everything you said. My only remaining contention is that spending a large amount of time in the Orii galaxy (all the time elapsed between 6 and 19) should lead to a more permanent change. With that added life experience, we can at least expect that any changes would be more permanent, with only some changing left to be done after Vala rejoins the group. I am, of course, fully aware that this might not happen. If that were the case, I would simply abandon the idea of making Vala a permanent character.

kadosho
September 1st, 2005, 08:44 PM
Just a small post to make.
Vala's a fun character, yet not a core part of the group.
She's added some "attitude" in the mix. And look where thats lead.
I wonder how they'll bring her back, and will there be more questions later.

stargatejo
September 5th, 2005, 12:21 PM
I'm not especialy fond of Vala. I think the way that she left is perfect. She is gone but she could come back. Like Corin Nemic. I'm an old stick in the mud. I like the way things are but I'll take change if I have to. Unless the change is Michael Shanks.