PDA

View Full Version : "Holographic" Displays one step closer to reality

Taonas
August 28th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Now, I'm not sure if this has been posted before.

This is essentially a laser projected (as in NOT holographic) touch screen. While it is not really 3D it can have the apperance of it.

http://www.io2technology.com/technology/overview

It's one of the coolest things I've ever seen outside of Science-Fiction.

Eoin
August 28th, 2005, 07:57 PM
I deffintily gotta get me one of those :D : :D :D :D :D :D

MarshAngel
August 28th, 2005, 07:59 PM
The rate at which we come up with this cool stuff is the reason why scifi is getting harder to write. It's hard to make something look futuristic when someone keeps coming up with the things you imagine for 200 years in the future, now.

Eoin
August 28th, 2005, 08:05 PM
The rate at which we come up with this cool stuff is the reason why scifi is getting harder to write. It's hard to make something look futuristic when someone keeps coming up with the things you imagine for 200 years in the future, now.
thats whats fun about these days, all new fancy tech is made and upgraded each week for me to get and play with :D

vonbismarck
August 28th, 2005, 08:07 PM
I don't know if it counts or not but they also have a laser/virtual keyboard that uses a camera and laser to project light onto a desk in the shape of a keyboard. You can see it here: http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/

IMForeman
August 28th, 2005, 11:06 PM
It is seriously cool. Shame it's still planar, but I'm sure they will beat that limitation in time. It kind of reminds me of that Professor thing in the first season of SeaQuest.

-IMF

Ascended Times.2
August 29th, 2005, 12:01 AM

LOL, Sci-fi is completely screwed when we finally invent the shield :) it's all just a matter of time folks, matter of time...

Note:i jave NO idea if this is valid but my father told me that they actually made the beaming technology, they have only been able to beam a laser beam of light, but it's been done. Lol i dunno if the project was disbanded or something. Note:No insultin' :S my dad...

vonbismarck
August 29th, 2005, 12:57 AM
I will have to do some research but I believe I did read that somewhere they had teleported some particles, although I don't think very far.

nimitz
August 29th, 2005, 06:08 AM
I don't know if it counts or not but they also have a laser/virtual keyboard that uses a camera and laser to project light onto a desk in the shape of a keyboard. You can see it here: http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/
That would be really useful. Ive gotta get one.

vonbismarck
August 29th, 2005, 05:43 PM
It would be nice if we had that replicator thingie on Star Trek. I don't remember if it only did food or other things too but I still think it would be useful if just for food.

Eoin
August 29th, 2005, 06:37 PM
They did transport a few atoms, about 40 meters i think. some people will call that a small distance, but they have to realize that they just invented the tech and its still in an infancy stage, and in a couple a hundred years we may even have transporters for people or even in 10 years time. anything is possible :D