This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duration Gate Stays On For?

I'vew been pondering this question for a while and want o know your view on it:

when ppl go through the gate, how does the gate 'know' when to shutdown and that there isn't someone still waiting to come through!

- it'd probably be manually done on earth but what about those offworld gates!?

- probably has a simple solution

tottaly confused
    It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Originally posted by jazz!
    I'vew been pondering this question for a while and want o know your view on it:

when ppl go through the gate, how does the gate 'know' when to shutdown and that there isn't someone still waiting to come through!

- it'd probably be manually done on earth but what about those offworld gates!?

- probably has a simple solution

tottaly confused
    The director calls it.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Originally posted by Three PhDs
      The director calls it.
      well not exactly the technical, scifi/stargate-science based, explanation I was looking for!
      It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

Well, for a in world technical explanation...

the gate has of curse sophisticated sensors and computers build in that monitor the front area of the gate and when they calculated that noone/nothing else is approaching the gate in a fashion that leads it to believe that the gate will be used further, it shuts down and terminates the wormhole.

Oh and in the case of people shoting at each other, the second group of people shoting at the first will not be allowed to use the gate, sinc eobviously th first group is using the gate to get away from the second group

Comment

I always thought it was shut down by the people on the dialing side. Hmm can anyone give an episode where it is explianed. But then again the time they were chasing those Trust guys and the gate shut down before they could see the dhd, so I dont really know how its done, I guess you just have to take a leap of faith.
          My Blog - - Raise The Fist

Comment

Originally posted by Auralis
            Well, for a in world technical explanation...

the gate has of curse sophisticated sensors and computers build in that monitor the front area of the gate and when they calculated that noone/nothing else is approaching the gate in a fashion that leads it to believe that the gate will be used further, it shuts down and terminates the wormhole.

Oh and in the case of people shoting at each other, the second group of people shoting at the first will not be allowed to use the gate, sinc eobviously th first group is using the gate to get away from the second group
            thanks

A great stroke of luck, with the shutting down of that gate hey!

Comment

Originally posted by Auralis
              i don't agree with that part i think the reason that the gate shuts off after the last of the first party is through is because *thinks about it* the director calls it, **** PTB always leaving plot holes everywhere

Comment

I think it's generally assumed that it stays open until there is nothing passing through the wormhole (I'm assuming it has some predetermined mass it goes by, as it's entirely possible for a stray air molecule to bounce into the gate at any time, despite its ability to prevent air pressure from equalizing through the wormhole).

Comment

Simple gate travel is not instanteanous. By the time the last man materials at the second wormhole the forst gates already realised o one else is going through and *Poof* shuts down as soon as the last man pops out.
                  sigpic
                  Banner By JME2

Comment

Working...
                  X