Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So does Naquadah + Potassium still = boom?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So does Naquadah + Potassium still = boom?

Like many people on this board, I'm under the impression that Earth based space weapons tend to suck. I mean, have we ever actually seen the Prometheus or Deadelus ever actually destory anything substantial? Usually whenever they show up, all they seem to do is by time with their rail guns in order to buy time while complaining about how their enemy is eating away at their shields.

Then, a week ago, I saw the following episode:

Cassandra is the only survivor of a bioweapon used by the System Lord Nirrti to wipe out the people of Hanka. Rescued by SG-1, she is brought back to the SGC where Dr. Janet Fraiser finds traces of naquadah in her blood. When Cassandra collapses with a marked potassium deficiency and pain in her chest, the medical team discover an odd mechanical pump-like sound in her heart. X-Ray reveals a device which had not been present only hours earlier. Capt. Samantha Carter contacts a microscopic particle of iron and potassium with naquadah. The result is a massive nuclear explosion. A similar biochemical reaction is occurring with Cassandra as the fatty layer separating the two sides of the device decays. The resultant explosion would be a million times more powerful. Deducing that the device would be triggered by taking Cassandra through the Stargate, SG-1 instead transport her to an abandoned nuclear facility. Safely away from the Stargate, the bomb dissipates and the naquadah is reabsorbed into Cassandra's system.
    Now, unlike all the "SG1 should reverse engineer energy weapons" or "SG1 should make nukes with hyperdrives" suggestions we get, this one seems to be readily accessible. The only ingredients you would need would be naquadah, iron, and potassium -- which SG1 has plenty of access too. And since Carter was able to duplicate the process in a lab, it's not like this reaction is composed of anything special.

So what I think they should just start doing is start making rail gun shells with microscopic amounts of naquadah and potassium in them, which come together and explode upon impact. That way, instead of hitting your enemy with a thousand bullets, you're hitting them with a thousand nuclear explosions. I doubt that Goa'uld shield technology would last nearly as long against that, or that the Wraith would be able to intercerpt all of them.

The only disadvantages is that the radiation might block your sensors, and if a enemy ship attempts to intercept too closely, you may have collatoral damage on your own ship. However, I don't think the radiation would be any worse that the current nuclear tactics, and as for interception, you just make sure that your potassium/naquadah rounds aren't used as your main weapon, and that your computers refuse to fire them if there's anything flying in too close.

Of course, I doubt that they'd ever do anything like this, since it would completely change the balance of power in the Stargate verse if the SG teams could fire off thousands of tiny nuclear explosions anytime they felt like it, using technology that the Goa'uld could easily duplicate. Also, the reaction would imply that you could blow up just about any stargate in the galaxy by sticking a wad of potassium on it, since the stargates are made of naquadah already.

But it doesn't really make much sense that they wouldn't explore this option since the reaction has already been established as SG cannon.

But it depends how powerful the explosion is.If it is only a few kilotons, then it wont make much damage to a mothership but if it is in the megaton range while it can be used to destroy motherships it would be overkill on fighters and if you hit something to close it would destroy youre own ship or damage it.
    Rimmer: "What's this? Learning drugs? They're illegal, matey! Where did you get them? I'm afraid you're in very serious, grave, deep trouble, Lister. Where did you get them? I want names, I want places, I want dates."
    Lister: "Arnold Rimmer, his locker, this morning."
    - Rimmer and Lister, Balance of Power from Red Dwarf

Ambassador: I hate you English. With your boring trousers and your shiny toilet paper and your ridiculous preconceptions that Frenchmen are great lovers. I'm French and I'm hung like a baby carrot and a couple of petits pois.
    - Nob and Nobility from Blackadder

Comment

Well, supposedly, a tiny, TINY amount of it would have been enough to destroy a stargate. Something that the SG1 team needs a Mark IX to handle.

But the main thing is that you'd simply reserve it as a secondary weapon for when your intended target was far enough away, and you could send it to slightly above room-busting size so that it would take a few hundred direct hits to destroy a mother ship (Which, fortunately, they would have).

Either way, it would be a few million times more effective of simply using regular rounds.

Comment

It has been said many times that something could destroy the stargate ,but nowdays it has been proven that a stargate can take more punishment than they thought in the first few seasons. I've now took it that it would have just destroyed the mountain and the stargate would have surivived.
        Rimmer: "What's this? Learning drugs? They're illegal, matey! Where did you get them? I'm afraid you're in very serious, grave, deep trouble, Lister. Where did you get them? I want names, I want places, I want dates."

Ambassador: I hate you English. With your boring trousers and your shiny toilet paper and your ridiculous preconceptions that Frenchmen are great lovers. I'm French and I'm hung like a baby carrot and a couple of petits pois.

Comment

that is a very good idea, anti aricraft bullet sized bombs could deal quite a lot of damage if you take into consideration the microscopic amounts used in that episode. or as bombs like when they took out anubis's mothership by jumping through it's shields. Just take an x-302, jump in, drop a bomb, jump out and see the preety colors.

Comment

Originally posted by nimitz
            It has been said many times that something could destroy the stargate ,but nowdays it has been proven that a stargate can take more punishment than they thought in the first few seasons.
            Teal'c: "This Goa'uld Nirrti, he once sent an emissary of peace, to negotiate a treaty concerning a Stargate, Apophis had taken control of. The negotiations was a ploy, the Stargate was destroyed."

Jack: "How?"

Teal'c: "As soon as he entered the Stargate, there was a massive explosion."

I've now took it that it would have just destroyed the mountain and the stargate would have surivived.
            Only after they moved her out of range.

Jack: "This elevator goes down 30 floors through solid rock. It takes about 3 minutes to get to the bottom. That gives you four minutes to start back up." Sam nods and walks into the elevator. Jack nods at the solder controlling the elevator and a buzzer sounds. The elevator closes. Sam looks as if she is desperately trying hard not to cry, Cassie wakes up.

Comment

Originally posted by Schrodinger82
              Teal'c: "This Goa'uld Nirrti, he once sent an emissary of peace, to negotiate a treaty concerning a Stargate, Apophis had taken control of. The negotiations was a ploy, the Stargate was destroyed."

Jack: "How?"

Teal'c: "As soon as he entered the Stargate, there was a massive explosion."
              Im taking it that the stargate was just buried but you could be right.

Only after they moved her out of range.

Jack: "This elevator goes down 30 floors through solid rock. It takes about 3 minutes to get to the bottom. That gives you four minutes to start back up." Sam nods and walks into the elevator. Jack nods at the solder controlling the elevator and a buzzer sounds. The elevator closes. Sam looks as if she is desperately trying hard not to cry, Cassie wakes up.
              They were just doing it to be safe and there is a good likelhood only 5-10 levels could have been used to nulify the blast.Also i believe it was the cloest bunker to them, though i havent seen that eposide in months.And i dont believe i said anything about them moving her.
              I would have thought that the stargate can survive 100s of megatons after not being torn apart by a black hole and also survived entering a sun with a black hole on the other side of the wormhole thats gigaton/teraton range.OMG.

Comment

Im taking it that the stargate was just buried but you could be right.
                Well, the phrase they used was "destroyed." And it's not like the Gou'ald would really be phased from simply having their gate buried. Or SG1 for that matter.

I would have thought that the stargate can survive 100s of megatons after not being torn apart by a black hole and also survived entering a sun with a black hole on the other side of the wormhole thats gigaton/teraton range.OMG.
                Well, humans were able to approach the black hole on both sides of the stargate without being destroyed either, so that's not not really that big of a fear.

Comment

But it depends how powerful the explosion is.If it is only a few kilotons, then it wont make much damage to a mothership but if it is in the megaton range while it can be used to destroy motherships it would be overkill on fighters and if you hit something to close it would destroy youre own ship or damage it.
                  yes but we have weopons in the gigaton range so no real need
                  My Blog - - Raise The Fist

Comment

It has been said many times that something could destroy the stargate ,but nowdays it has been proven that a stargate can take more punishment than they thought in the first few seasons. I've now took it that it would have just destroyed the mountain and the stargate would have surivived.

You're right. In Beachhead,
                    Spoiler:
                    The stargate withstood the nuke detonation twenty feet away from the hypocenter. But then again, it could just be Ori magic.
                    JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                    VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                    MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                    LANDRY
                    : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                    Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                    Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                    Mmm... Green...

Comment

Well, the phrase they used was "destroyed." And it's not like the Gou'ald would really be phased from simply having their gate buried. Or SG1 for that matter.
                      But if the stargate was under tens/hundreds of tons wouldnt you just say its been destroyed.

Well, humans were able to approach the black hole on both sides of the stargate without being destroyed either, so that's not not really that big of a fear.
                      But i was going on about the eposide were they blow up the sun and if you go close to the corona of a sun your sheilds need to stand high gigaton/ low teraton range of radiaton etc.And making a sun go supernova and suriviving the explosion would be difficult even with ancient sheilds.

Comment

I brought up the same idea in another thread a short time ago, that is to use N/P. Current anti air cannon already exist with 2 magazines, with the computer deciding which type of round to use, so a magazine with solid AP rounds, and one with HEI rounds using Naquadah / Potassium is workable. Imagine spraying a ground target with 10's of micronukes a second, each with a Kt yield. Can really make for a bad day at a Jaffa landing site.

It would also mean a F-302 could take down a Alkesh or heavy transport with a burst. If a F-302 can swop out it's 20mm or so cannon with maybe 500 rounds, with a 30 calibre RG firing micronukes, and several thousand rounds, they can stay in the battle longer, need less hits to score a kill, and if they do a microjump through a capital ships sheilds, can take that ship out of the battle as well.

The shells would have to self detonate after a time so they didn't become a space hazard.

Comment

But if the stargate was under tens/hundreds of tons wouldnt you just say its been destroyed.
                          Nope, I would've said "buried." Teal'c isn't one for mis-using words.

There is a possibility that there's a reaction that might happen if the detonation occurs within the wormhole, however.

But i was going on about the eposide were they blow up the sun and if you go close to the corona of a sun your sheilds need to stand high gigaton/ low teraton range of radiaton etc.And making a sun go supernova and suriviving the explosion would be difficult even with ancient sheilds.
                          I'll admit that it sound extremely silly, which is the main reason I use the phrase "still" in the subject line because I assume that the writers are going to treat this issue like it never actually happened. But it doesn't change the fact that it was true when they wrote it.

Still, hearing people refer to weapons as "potassium enhanced" is rather amusing.

Comment

Yes, I was under the impression that naquadah and potasium was quite a deadly combination. Obviously there was not a whole lot inside Cassandra, so it must be a very stron reaction.

Wow, this thread is very similar to another one..

Owen Macri

Comment

Nope, I would've said "buried." Teal'c isn't one for mis-using words.

There is a possibility that there's a reaction that might happen if the detonation occurs within the wormhole, however.
                              But if say loads of jaffa were trying to dig it up for days and failed to get it there is a huge likelhood that it was destroyed but it could have been just a few feet under when they stopped. Tea'lc may have just said it was destroyed because that was what he was told. We know that he has been misinformed on various times before like he was told a Hat'ak could only travel 10* the speed of light but they could actually travel 1000s of * of the speed of light which was why it only took a few hours to travel to earth.
                              I never considered that there could have been a wormhole open.If there was it would have made the explosion 100s of times stronger which could have destroyed the stargate but i still reckon if there was no wormhole it would have been to weak to destroy a stargate.

Comment

Working...
                              X