This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mythology Thread

I Myself Am A Bigmytholgy Buff, And I Think Alot Of Peopole Hear Are Two. I Started This Thread Just If You Want To Talk About It. Any Kind Is Open For Disscussion(roman,greek, Noarse, Etc.) I'm Pro Noarse, If You Couldnt Tell By My Username.enjoy

Ps Sorry If There Is A Thread Like This Already, The Search Has Been Disabled.
    anyone up for some Armageddon?

Can you tell me some good websites for Norse Mythology?
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

one of the best sites for most mythologies is Encyclopedia Mythica www.pantheon.org
      Last edited by kelmah; 01 September 2005, 12:53 PM. Reason: EDIT: Oops. wrong link
      YAY DANCING BANANAS!!!

Hallowed Are The Moderators

Kate Hewlett's blog

A Dog's Breakfast official site

37.47535% - Major Geek How geeky are you?

Comment

yeah more noarse (spelling error i know) i the sci fi universe...what am i saying more mythology in the sci fi universe!!!
        For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

heres a decent site noarse
          if its not a link, copy, and paste in browser

greek
          Last edited by Ragnarok13; 23 August 2005, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Thanks
            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
            love Torri

Comment

My favourite mythology is Greek/Roman, but I like all others as well -- I'm just not as familar with them and attached to them.

My favourite goddess is Artemis/Diana, who is an amazing ancient female role model IMO. Athena is also pretty sweet.

I'd lke to get more into Babylonian/Sumerian mythology, as I've been learning bits and peices about it and finding it fascinating. It also appears to be sort of the foundation, to an extent, to all other mythology, in that most other mythic figures can be linked/traced in some way to Babylonian gods or goddesses. I find though that the way of thinking and the characteristics of Babylonian mythology is quite unique -- I believe it might have something to do with their form of language. If you've read Neal Stephenson's Snowcrash, you know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
                yeah more noarse (spelling error i know) i the sci fi universe...what am i saying more mythology in the sci fi universe!!!
                Absolutely. Ancient mythology fits so well with science fiction, there's just so much you can do with it.

I'm mostly into Egyptian and Celtic legend, and also Goddess myth, although my big thing is comparative mythology (a la Joseph Campbell – very interesting reading, but rather difficult). You'd be surprised at the things you earn about world cultures and especially literature by reading just The Hero with a Thousand Faces. I'm really quite a geek about it...

But yeah, I'm working on reading up on a little bit of everything, and as much Campbell as I can find.

Member of W.A.S.P. ~ My Fan Fiction ~MySpace ~ Thanks to *E*K*R* for the sig!

Comment

I'm very much into Egyptian history and how it's linked to every major ethnic/religious group on earth from the past and to this day. It's very interesting to see how much the so called 'dead' religion of the Ancient Egyptians lives on today in Africa and in the rest of the world including Europe - heck, especially Europe. I'm a believer that every major race and religious type from the Greeks to Buddhism to the Hawaiians to Catholisism are all based firmly in the ancient myths of Egypt. It's really very cool and it's hard to find sites that share these theories. There are, however, many books on the subject written by various controversial philosiphers and historians, etc, who have some pretty controversial things to say on the subject. It's proof that all major spiritual ideas and cultural practises that live on today came from something that Ancient Egyptians thought up. I'm no historian and I don't even want to get a degree in Egyptology or Archeology (too much tedious reading, I'm a film buff )But I do want to know more about my history and it's roots, etc etc. It's good to learn. Then I can pass it on to my childre, they can pass it on and those can pass it on and the knowledge will live forever.
                  TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

I myself am totally into Celtic mythology. I've started really liking Egyptian mythology ever since SG-1 started, but Celtic still rules.

If you guys want a Celtic myth site, here's one:

www.shee-eire.com

I AM SUPREME COMMANDER THOR

Comment

Well, I'm so obsessed with Egyptian mythology, it was my major in college, but I'm fascinated by the mythology of every religion, really, and the stories which go with their beliefs. I've been this way for years, at least since Junior High. SG-1's incorporation of ancient historical beliefs is a part of why I got into the show in the first place (well, that and learning that Daniel's an archaeologist, knowing I could hold an intelligent conversation with him concerning ancient cultures definitely made him much more interesting to me).

Comment

Originally posted by fair_nymph
                        My favourite mythology is Greek/Roman, but I like all others as well -- I'm just not as familar with them and attached to them.

My favourite goddess is Artemis/Diana, who is an amazing ancient female role model IMO. Athena is also pretty sweet.

I'd lke to get more into Babylonian/Sumerian mythology, as I've been learning bits and peices about it and finding it fascinating. It also appears to be sort of the foundation, to an extent, to all other mythology, in that most other mythic figures can be linked/traced in some way to Babylonian gods or goddesses. I find though that the way of thinking and the characteristics of Babylonian mythology is quite unique -- I believe it might have something to do with their form of language. If you've read Neal Stephenson's Snowcrash, you know what I mean.
                        it would make sense to call it the "foundation", seeing as how that was the first civilization in known in human history, thus any group that broke off from them would share the basic idea of these beliefs but change the names.

Comment

so.................................................. who's up for some noarse armagedon?

the 12 labors?

the OYDESSY?
                          Last edited by Ragnarok13; 05 September 2005, 11:13 AM.

Comment

I just read the Odyssey a litle while ago. That is one LONG poem. Good stuff tho.
                            YAY DANCING BANANAS!!!

Hallowed Are The Moderators

Kate Hewlett's blog

A Dog's Breakfast official site

37.47535% - Major Geek How geeky are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Ragnarok13
                              A little bit... you may want to consider linking it...

Member of W.A.S.P. ~ My Fan Fiction ~MySpace ~ Thanks to *E*K*R* for the sig!

Comment

Working...
                              X