This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIxing the AIDS problem

Hypathetically could Tretonian(sp) fix the AIDS problem on earth, since Jaffa without it or a symbiote have the Immune system of an aids patient then why couldn't it do the same for aids.

Sounds interesting - can Tretonin be used on normal humans?
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

Yes, hypothetically, you are correct, however then they would get addicted to Tretonin, wich is not great either.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
        Sounds interesting - can Tretonin be used on normal humans?
        Yep, the race that created tretonin was using it on themselves.

Owen Macri

Comment

Maybe if we gave them small amounts just enough to cure diseases, we could stop it being addictive or secondly we could find the part of the dna strand which makes it addictive and neutrailise just that part, though that would be very difficult, nearly impossible at our level of technology.
          Rimmer: "What's this? Learning drugs? They're illegal, matey! Where did you get them? I'm afraid you're in very serious, grave, deep trouble, Lister. Where did you get them? I want names, I want places, I want dates."
          Lister: "Arnold Rimmer, his locker, this morning."
          - Rimmer and Lister, Balance of Power from Red Dwarf

Ambassador: I hate you English. With your boring trousers and your shiny toilet paper and your ridiculous preconceptions that Frenchmen are great lovers. I'm French and I'm hung like a baby carrot and a couple of petits pois.
          - Nob and Nobility from Blackadder

Comment

No, you see it doesn't work that way. Tretonin effectivley replaces the bodies immune system, then the bodies immune system will weaken because it is not being used, so if you take the Tretonin away, the natural immune system of the body will be to weak to defend against any viruses, diseases, bacteria, etc. It is not so much an addiction as it is a dependency.

However, to release the bodies dependency on the drug, you could use a sarcophagus, it would recharge the bodies immune system, it would also make the Jaffa undepedent on the symbiotes. However this would defeat the point of using Tretonin in the first place seeing as the sarcophagus would cure AIDS by itself.

Owen Macri

Comment

but for the immune system to collapse after a tiny amount of tretonin would be highly unlikely and i thought in that eposide they took large amounts of it (though ive never seen that eposide).And have the tokra perfected the sacrophagus yet because jacob said that they wanted the telchak device to perfect the sacorphgus.
              Rimmer: "What's this? Learning drugs? They're illegal, matey! Where did you get them? I'm afraid you're in very serious, grave, deep trouble, Lister. Where did you get them? I want names, I want places, I want dates."

Ambassador: I hate you English. With your boring trousers and your shiny toilet paper and your ridiculous preconceptions that Frenchmen are great lovers. I'm French and I'm hung like a baby carrot and a couple of petits pois.

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                Yes, hypothetically, you are correct, however then they would get addicted to Tretonin, wich is not great either.

Owen Macri
                its better than death
                My Blog - - Raise The Fist

Comment

None of the methods we've seen on the show would solve the AIDS problem as none of them would be widely available. I'd have to assume the Tretonin supply wouldn't be that great split as it would be with the Jaffa and being dependent on it for the remainder of one's life.
                  A sarcophagus, if we had one would solve the problem but how many could we get to cure everyone? never mind the societal implications once people discover it cures all including death. There'd be countless people willing to risk insanity and evil for that. A go'uld hand device would be nice but then it requires a person who can use it and I doubt even a dozen of them could put a dent in the millions of people with the disease.

I'm betting there are other medications or applications that could do the trick though. I think this is one of those things the Asgard or Tokra could help with and may even be more willing to do that than give us weapons or tech.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by nimitz
                    but for the immune system to collapse after a tiny amount of tretonin would be highly unlikely and i thought in that eposide they took large amounts of it (though ive never seen that eposide).And have the tokra perfected the sacrophagus yet because jacob said that they wanted the telchak device to perfect the sacorphgus.
                    No, because Tretonin is not like Advil. Tretonin is not a pain killer or an antibiotic. Tretonin replaces the immune system, if you do not take the propper amount it will not have the right effect. If you take the proper amount it will replace your immune system, weakening it, and leaving your body reliant on the drug.

Owen Macri

Comment

It is true you would not die. However you would become dependent on this drug which is effectivley your immune system, it is a strengthend immune system. However, if you are ever without the drug you will not survive, because your immune system will colapse, effecitvley, causing what you were trying to prevent in the first place.

Owen Macri

Comment

Maybe your right, maybe we should just fix the sacorphagus technology.

Comment

Well, that would deffinetly solve a lot of problems.

Teal'c could have gone "junior-less" for years!

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                          X