This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would there be any way to block Wraith telepathy

I think so far the wraith are the best evolved, strongest organic beings that we've come across. Bullet wounds heal before your eyes after a feeding, they don't die of natural aging, they're physically very strong and athletic, and one of the best features is a built-in communication device. Telepathy seems to come naturally to them. Since it doesn't work magically, there has to be a way to block the signal. The first step is knowing how it works. Is it a sub-space link or some sort of radio wave? The Asgard were able (if I recall correctly) to block the replicator sub-space link in one specimen from all the rest of the replicators. Couldn't Atlantis do the same to the wraith? If they could, they could hold a wraith captive without fearing of giving intel to the rest of the wraith. Or even better, implant a Tok'ra into a wraith without worrying about who will take control over the body. This way, the wraith could be infiltrated and sabataged. Something the ancients didn't have at their disposal.
    Things I've learned about the Stargate Universe:
    1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.
    2. Don't shake hands with a Wraith.
    3. Whacko! are the Ori. It's their way or the hot way.

It is highly likely that the data transmission of the Wraith telepathy is accomplish through electromagnetic means. There are animals on this planet, some types of Amazon River eels that can produce electrical discharges, as there are insects that can produce photonic discharges. So since a electromagnetic field can be produced biologically the possibility exist that a species could evolve an electromagnetic based means of communications, especially if the evolution of said species took place in an environment like outer space where sound does not carry.

If the data transmission modality is electromagnetic then it can be blocked or at the very least interfered with. One can make an evolutionary argument for simple Amplitude Modulation (AM), Frequency Modulation (FM) and even Pulse Modulation (PM) biologic based transmissions, however frequency hopping, and phase shifting is a much harder sell. So it should be fairly easy to block a Wraith telepathic message.

Under the right circumstances it should be possible to build a mechanical means to communicate with the Wraith, using their telepathic channels. That is unless Wraith telepathy is limited within an individual’s particular clan, in that a Wraith individual can only communicate telepathically to close members of their own genetic family. If that were the case building a mechanical means to use the Wraith telepathic channels would be problematic at best. However if the modality covers the majority of the species, then building a mechanical means to listen into the Wraith telepathy would be one hell of an intelligence advantage.
    Last edited by EMSPARKS; 20 August 2005, 05:22 AM. Reason: Advanced dyslexia - fix spelling

Comment

Originally posted by EMSPARKS
      It is highly likely that the data transmission of the Wraith telepathy is accomplish through electromagnetic means. There are animals on this planet, some types of Amazon River eels that can produce electrical discharges, as there are insects that can produce photonic discharges. So since a electromagnetic field can be produced biologically the possibility exist that a species could evolve an electromagnetic based means of communications, especially if the evolution of said species took place in an environment like outer space where sound does not carry.

If the data transmission modality is electromagnetic then it can be blocked or at the very least interfered with. One can make an evolutionary argument for simple Amplitude Modulation (AM), Frequency Modulation (FM) and even Pulse Modulation (PM) biologic based transmissions, however frequency hopping, and phase shifting is a much harder sell. So it should be fairly easy to block a Wraith telepathic message.

Under the right circumstances it should be possible to build a mechanical means to communicate with the Wraith, using their telepathic channels. That is unless Wraith telepathy is limited within an individual’s particular clan, in that a Wraith individual can only communicate telepathically to close members of their own genetic family. If that were the case building a mechanical means to use the Wraith telepathic channels would be problematic at best. However if the modality covers the majority of the species, then building a mechanical means to listen into the Wraith telepathy would be one hell of an intelligence advantage.
      Thank-you EMSPARKS, that answers a lot of questions. In your second paragraph, however, I could only understand the first and last sentences. The rest of that paragraph didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Maybe you could spoonfeed it to me, or someone else could try. This thread may not seem like an important question, but it could lead to Tok'ra infiltration, which is the only way that I could see of a complete wraith downfall.
      1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.

Comment

cover your head with tin foil
        My Blog - - Raise The Fist

Comment

Refering to above post #3
          In the second paragraph, I enumerate a number of different ways that we format manmade electromagnetic signals today, and say which, in my humble estimation, could have evolved in a biological form. Does that help any?
          Last edited by EMSPARKS; 20 August 2005, 01:30 PM. Reason: To add reference

Comment

Originally posted by Gargen
            If your going for a fashion statement, I say go for it.

If however your looking to keep your privacy, its not necessary.

Due to the facts of the very limited form of Telepathy that we have on this planet, and we do have a very limited form of Telepathy here. Cross species telepathic communication is impossible.

Can I prove any of this, I can point to the physics, but I can’t prove anything.

If however you want to give me a couple of million, and an ultra low frequency, Anechoic Chamber, I’ll get you your proof.
            Last edited by EMSPARKS; 20 August 2005, 01:45 PM. Reason: Adding a thought

Comment

LOL, did you ever see the movie Signs? They tried that.

In the second paragraph, I enumerate a number of different ways that we format manmade electromagnetic signals today, and say which, in my humble estimation, could have evolved in a biological form. Does that help any?
              Thanks EMSPARKS, now I know what you're talking about. Do any of you see why this would be a necessary step in a Tok'ra implantation?
              Last edited by !Dorentus!; 20 August 2005, 02:44 PM.
              1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.

Comment

The Tok'ra idea is a good one if the species genetic differences permit it. After all Teal'c's said that the Goa'uld symbiots where able to inhabit many different species.

I don’t know if a Tok'ra implantation is a good idea. There are too many questions. Can a Wraith body host a Tok'ra symbiot? Would the Wraith survive? Would the symbiot survive? Would the symbiot be able to take over the Wraith body? If the implantation worked how fast would the Wraith realize that they have been infiltrated?

Since the Wraith pretty much feed on their enemies there are profound moral issues involved in such an implantation.

It would be far better to use mechanical means to monitor Wraith telepathic communications, such passive monitoring could go undetected for a very long time.
                Last edited by EMSPARKS; 20 August 2005, 02:31 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by !Dorentus!
                  LOL, did you ever see the movie Signs? They tried that.
                  Refering to above post #3
                  Thanks EMSPARKS, now I know what you're talking about. Do any of you see why this would be a necessary step in a Tok'ra implantation?

its an old thing that people who claimed to be abducted by aliens did i think the idea has been around from the 50's
                  My Blog - - Raise The Fist

Comment

its an old thing that people who claimed to be abducted by aliens did i think the idea has been around from the 50's
                    Didn’t Crosby and Hope do a road picture about that “The road to Roswell?”

Comment

The Tok'ra idea is a good one if the species genetic differences permit it. After all Teal'c's said that the Goa'uld symbiots where able to inhabit many different species.

I don’t know if a Tok'ra implantation is a good idea. There are too many questions. Can a Wraith body host a Tok'ra symbiot? Would the Wraith survive? Would the symbiot survive? Would the symbiot be able to take over the Wraith body? If the implantation worked how fast would the Wraith realize that they have been infiltrated?

Since the Wraith pretty much feed on their enemies there are profound moral issues involved in such an implantation.

It would be far better to use mechanical means to monitor Wraith telepathic communications, such passive monitoring could go undetected for a very long time.
                      These are all the reasons why if you experimented with a Tok'ra implantation you would need something to block wraith communication. If it failed you would want some security that valuable information wouldn't be compromised. If you remember the episode "hathor" she does something to either Daniel or Jack that ensures that her offspring are compatible with their DNA for a successful implantation. It's been awhile since I've seen the episode so I could have the facts messed up but I'm reasonably sure. Wraith and Tok'ra have proven to be some of the most durable species in Stargate so I think if the Tok'ra put their heads together that would work for them and they could do it. As for the moral issues, I can see two of them, but would you please specify more thoroughly as to what issues exactly?
                      1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.

Comment

Why not put the hat that magneto wore in x-men on , that seemed effective
                        The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Bloking Wraith telepathy. Sounds about as hard as trying to put a number on EMSPARKS vocabulary.
                          "I'm the greatest because I'm alive. That's it. Period.
                          I'm not greedy. If I can catch a Goa'uld equipped with all kinds of fancy toys without risking my neck that's a damn good compromise."

Spoiler:

Comment

Hypothetically, yes, you can block the Wraith Telepathy, however we would deffinetly need to understand it further.

Owen Macri

Comment

I spose we're looking for a better answer than "Run the heck away?"

I reckon Jack would have to put the Wraith telepaths to shame, with his Superior-but-Inferior Intellect... can imagine a Wraith trying to get inside his head before exclaiming "Its like there's nothing there!"
                              "You get Two Hippies playing Drums on a lawn, the next thing you got is a College!" - Eric Cartman

"Nice!" - Jack
                              "Well the Ancients like to fly in style..." - Daniel

Comment

Working...
                              X