This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comic Books

Anyone else read comic books on these boards?

I noticed in the Batman Begins thread that a few people were wanting to read some Batman collections and whatnot, but I wasn't sure if their were other regular readers on here.

If there are..what do you currently read?

Also if any scifi/fantasy fans are interested in reading a few books I have a couple in mind that might work for you.

Publisher -
    Title

Summary -

Vertigo

Fables

Summary - This is a very interesting series that transplants characters from folklore and classic literature into our world.

The Fables have fled their homelands (a series of worlds connected via magical portals) after they were conquered by a being known only as the Adversary. They show up in our world shortly after the American Revolution and take up residence in what will become New York City.

Now these immortals live in Fabletown which is a place rich in magic and sorcery as it is in political intrigue and espionage.

Bigby Wolf is the Sherrif of Fabletown, you might know him as the Big Bad Wolf in Little Red Riding Hood and The Three Little Pigs. He's also the one from The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

The Mayor of Fabletown is King Cole. He's the only one that has held the position in the history of the town. He is mostly a figure head leaving the daily duties of running the town to Bigby and his Deputy Mayor - Snow White.

Jack of Tales also plays a big part in the series. He's the Jack from Jack and the Beanstalk, Jack the Giant Killer, Jack and the Candlestick, Jack and Jill, etc..

Prince Charming also shows up as a womanizer who has been divorced three times. Once each from Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White.

Characters also include Boy Blue, The Flycatcher, Pinocchio and many others. Characters are from Fables and Literature of many cultures, but mostly are European. Although the Arabian Nights ones will be showing up soon as well.

I highly reccomend this book to everyone. Men and women will love it. The women in this title are portrayed quite well they are strong and most are in leadership positions.

Silent Devil Productions

Dracula Vs King Arthur

Summary - Evil meets Medieval. When Vlad Dracul AKA Vlad the Impaler is manipulated by Lucifer, he becomes the first vampire, Dracula. His mission is to go back through time and kill King Arthur, the champion of life.

Here's some preview images - http://newsarama.com/forums/showthre...threadid=31057

Those are the two I would reccomend right now. Fables would be nice to read in TPB, while Dracula Vs King Arthur is only at #1 out of 4 issues.

I have also heard good things about a series called SMOKE from IDW, but haven't read it as of yet.

Another interesting title on the horizon is the SCIFI comic from Image called Fear Agent - http://www.imagecomics.com/messagebo...pic.php?t=6518

(scroll down a bit)

I read Amazing Spider-man and Ultimate X-men. Sometimes Fantastic Four nad the new Ultimate Iron Man. I've only been readin for about a year and a half now, but I watched xmen and spidey cartoons when I was little.

Comment

Ah that's cool.

I haven't read Amazing Spider-Man in years, have heard mixed reviews about JMS's run.

It's cool that you read some Ultimate titles. For those who don't know the Ultimate Universe is a fresh start on hit Marvel franchises like X-Men, Avengers (called the Ultimates) and of course Spider-Man.

Ultimate Iron has been selling extremely well, I read the first issue and thought it had a lot of potential.

I also discovered the bulk of my Spider-Man and X-Men interests from the cartoons on FOX kids. Ditto with Batman the Animated Series.

Comment

I was addicted to comic books for a while. Had to stop going to the comic book stores because it was too expensive. I have read lots and lots from the alternative comic books to the big name comic makers.
        I prefer Marvel over DC. XMen has always been solid, Spiderman, Blade, Daredevil, list goes on.
        Darkhorse was also always good, Id have to get out my collection but I believe they did Witchblade, Spawn, Ghost, Hellboy, Machine, and some of the Star Wars stuff. I know Im fogetting a lot, like my X-files comics and other one offs. (The Marvel AU mix with DC was pretty cool).

I love comics, I love how they are starting to make good movies about them now not just little campy crp. Batman Begins was a very good movie IMHO. I cant wait until X3. I just hope they keep it cool and not camp it up with the new director. I do think they should re-cast Storm. Hailey Berry is a fine actress but not how I pictured Storm. The guy that plays Wolverine is dead on though, if a little tall. Scott, Gene, Rouge, Nightcrawler were all solid and of course Patrick Stewart rules. (And Wheres BEAST!!!!)

Edit: Forgot Predator, Alien vs Predator, Batman Vs Predator (I want wolverine vs Predator).
        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I think they said both Beast and Gambit are gonna be in X3.

I went through a big comic book faze when I was around 10, I think mainly cos at that time my brother was collecting Spider-man. I stopped reading for a few years until I got in to graphic novels like The Maxx, and Cerebrus the Aardvark plus some manga. But most recently I've been reading Neil Gaiman's Sandman (I'm saving up for the 4th volume) and I've been getting into Frank Millers Batman comics, but I've only read Year One so far. I still occasionally get X-men and Spider-man, but not that often.

JANICE: Dr. Bob, you've given this hospital a bad name.
          DR BOB: You're right. Fred is a terrible name for a hospital. I'll give it a better name. How 'bout Eunice?

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
            The guy that plays Wolverine is dead on though, if a little tall. Scott, Gene, Rouge, Nightcrawler were all solid and of course Patrick Stewart rules. (And Wheres BEAST!!!!)
            That guy that plays Wolverine is the wonderful Aussie actor, Hugh Jackman...

Good grief... I haven't read any comic books for many moons... I'm quite interested in procuring a Batman graphic novel or two but they are horrendously expensive. My BIL tells me a buddy of his collects them and he might be able to convince him to lend me a couple.

We used to collect The Phantom comic books in the early days of our marriage but stopped when we had to tighten our budget... We have a whole pile of them sitting on one of our many book cases gathering dust.

In my younger days... I read Spiderman, Fantastic Four and X-Men... but that was a very, very long time ago...
            sigpic
            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Easter you should checkout your local library for the Batman comics, alot of libraries seem to stock some graphic novels these days.

JANICE: Dr. Bob, you've given this hospital a bad name.
              DR BOB: You're right. Fred is a terrible name for a hospital. I'll give it a better name. How 'bout Eunice?

Comment

My favourite used to be Hellblazer and 2000AD (esp Slaine). Not enough hours in the day lately to keep up with them anymore

Comment

I got back into comics about a year ago....

i'm reading a few of the X-Men titles, but find them to be kinda pathetic...debating dropping them all except Astonishing...

am liking the the new DC GL series as well as JSA and the storylines leading up to Infinite Crisis. the Otherworld vertigo series is pretty good...slow start but issues 4 and 5 were really good...
                  Thanks!
                  Jordan

my page
                  My LJ
                  From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Yeah the X-Men family of books got old for me a while ago. I started reading all three of them (New X-Men, Uncanny and X-Treme) after X2, but I quickly came to the conclusion that they were crap and dropped them.

I agree with you on Astonishing X-Men though, it's the X-Book to read. I mean you can't go wrong with Whedon and Cassady.

I heard good things about Cassady's other book, Planetary, but haven't got a chance to read any save the Batman crossover. Looks promising especially to us SCIFI fans.

Yeah I'm loving Green Lantern as well. The first three issues are all about setting up a place for Hal to live in, now I think we'll see even more action in the coming issues.

Comment

I haven't read any of the xmen titles except Ultimate. The reason i read that is b/c if i signed up for a year subscription then id get this free xmen watch, which was the coolest watch ive ever had (had wolverine on it) and so of course I dropped it while mowing and its now scattered around the yard...

Has anyone read Powerless or Mystique? I was really dissappointed when Mystique was cancelled. Maybe they'll do another one. Powerless was only a 6 issue run and it was really good...

I don't think Gambit will be in X3 very much, which isnt fun at all b/c he was a cool character (and not at all like Cyclops or Wolverine as so many ppl seem to think), but they will have Angel I believe. Kelsey Grammer is going to be Beast and the guy with all the piercings from Punisher is going to be Angel i hear.

Comment

I was planing on picking up Powerless in TPB, I'm a huge Daredevil fan as well as Wolverine and Spider-Man when they are done right.

Are you reading Mark Millar and John Romita Jr's Wolverine?

I reccomend both the Enemy of the State and Agent of SHIELD storylines once they are collected.

However next month he and Kaara Andrews have a oneshot issue (#32) which tells the story of a feral like mutant in a Nazi death camp. It will be released in two verisons color and black and white (at a reduced price I believe). So check that out if you see, I think it's going to be really good.

What are people's thoughts on the summer crossover madness? I think it's getting out of control. Not so much House of M, but Infinite Crisis has way too many tie-ins. At least most of it is pretty good though.

Comment

Well, I'm a long-time X-Men fan. These days, I'm reading Astonishing X-Men, Ultimate X-Men, and New X-Men: Academy X. I know a few people who think Academy X is boring (it's about the mutant students at Xavier's school, so there's no action), but I think it's a pretty well written, character driven book.

I also read Fantastic Four. I loved the recent "Rising Storm" storyline, where Johnny becomes Galactus' new herald. It was Johnny at his best and fullest potential-- as a person and a leader. I've also started picking up Marvel Knights 4 recently.

Cable & Deadpool is the funniest comic book currently on the market. It's like Lethal Weapon or Rush Hour, only much funnier, and with mutants.

Over at DC, I've been reading Birds of Prey for a few years, now. I like that, although the book's cast is 90% female, it doesn't come off as some corny "girl power" thing. Black Canary and Oracle were two superheroes past their prime (which is sad, considering how young they are... well, how young Oracle is), and now they're back (and is Canary's case, financially in the black). I've always been a Batgirl (Babs Gordon, not that Cassandra chick) fan, so this is like a must-read for me.

I've recently fallen in love with Green Arrow. That urban Robin Hood has stolen my heart. I love how he actually goes out of his way to berate common thugs. Speaking of which, his lack of a rogues gallery doesn't seem to hurt his stories at all. He doesn't have any villains. But the way he fights white-collar crime is just cool. Someone's gotta do it, right?
                          It's a Fargate! It's different.

Comment

I have only been getting my UXM and Spidey for awhile (tho I have gotten a couple of the House of M) because I'm starting college, and I have no money... From what I've read House of M seems pretty ok...

Comment

Well here is what we can expect to come out next week. This is from Midtown Comics website.

DC

Adventures Of Superman #643 $2.50
                              Authority Revolution Book 1 TP $14.99
                              Batman #644 $2.50
                              Batman Jekyll And Hyde #5 $2.99
                              Catwoman Vol 4 Wild Ride TP $14.99
                              City Of Tomorrow #5 $2.99
                              Day Of Vengeance #5 $2.50
                              DF Wildsiderz #0 Signed By Campbell & Hartnell $49.99
                              Gals Vol 3 TP $9.99
                              Hellblazer #211 $2.75
                              History Of Violence TP New Edition $9.99
                              Jack Cross #1 $2.50
                              JSA Classified #2 $2.50
                              Legion Of Super-Heroes #9 $2.99
                              OMAC Project #5 $2.50
                              Otherworld #6 $2.99
                              Robin Archives Vol 1 HC $49.99
                              Superman The Man Of Steel Vol 4 TP $19.99
                              Teen Titans #27 $2.50
                              Wonder Woman #219 2nd Ptg $2.50

IDW Publishing

Angel The Curse #3 Garner Cvr $3.99
                              Angel The Curse #3 Kordey Cvr $3.99
                              Angel The Curse #3 Messina Cvr $3.99
                              Angel The Curse #3 Wood Cvr $3.99
                              CSI New York Bloody Murder #2 $3.99
                              Dampyr Vol 5 Under The Stone Bridge TP Digest $7.99
                              Smoke #3 $7.49
                              Spike Old Times One Shot $7.49

Ant Vol 2 #1 $2.99
                              Battle Pope Color #2 $2.99
                              Girls #4 $2.99
                              Grounded #2 $2.95
                              Invincible #25 $4.95
                              Iron Ghost #3 $2.99
                              Monster War #4 Darkness vs Mr Hyde Basaldua Cvr $2.99
                              Monster War #4 Darkness vs Mr Hyde Chin Cvr $2.99
                              Rising Stars Voices Of The Dead #3 $2.99
                              Strange Girl #3 $2.99
                              Walking Dead #21 $2.99
                              Witchblade #88 Signed By Ron Marz $3.00

Marvel

Arana Vol 2 In The Beginning TP Digest $7.99
                              Black Panther #7 $2.99
                              Daredevil #76 $2.99
                              Daredevil vs Punisher #3 $2.99
                              Fantastic Four #530 $2.99
                              Hulk Destruction #2 $2.99
                              Machine Teen #4 $2.99
                              Marvel Heroes Flip Magazine #3 $3.99
                              Marvel Previews #25 September 2005 $0.99
                              Marvel Select Flip Magazine #3 $3.99
                              Marvel Visionaries Chris Claremont HC $29.99
                              Mega Morphs #2 $2.99
                              New X-Men #17 $2.99
                              Nightcrawler #9 $2.99
                              Spellbinders #6 $2.99
                              Spider-Man #17 Marvel Knights $2.99
                              Ultimate X-Men Annual #1 $3.99
                              Wolverine #31 $2.50

Dark Horse

Conan #19 $2.99
                              Little Lulu Vol 5 Lulu In The Doghouse TP $9.95
                              Rocco Vargas Walking With Monsters HC $14.95
                              Super Manga Blast #54 $5.99
                              Vampire Hunter D Novel Vol 2 Raiser Of Gales SC $8.95

Independents

Aardvark Vanaheim

Dave Sim Collected Letters 2004 TP $30.00

Alias Enterprises

Dreamland Chronicles #3 $4.50
                              Monkey In A Wagon vs Lemur On A Big Wheel #1 $2.99

Amaze Ink/Slave Labor Graphics

Gloomcookie #24 $2.95

Angry Drunk Graphics

Spaztic Colon #3 $3.50

Antarctic Press

Gold Digger #66 $2.99
                              I Hunt Monsters Vol 2 #8 $2.99
                              Mangazine Vol 3 #68 $9.99

Antimatter/Hoffman International

Western Gothic Ballad Of Utopia TP $14.95

Arcana Studios

Starkweather #5 $3.95

Arsenic Lullaby Publishing

1000 Deaths Of Baron Von Donut #1 $2.99

Brian Pulidos Lady Death Abandon All Hope #1 Moonlight Cvr $5.99
                              Brian Pulidos Lady Death Abandon All Hope #1 Prism Foil Cvr $12.99
                              Brian Pulidos Lady Death Abandon All Hope #1/2 Empress Cvr $5.99
                              Brian Pulidos Lady Death Death Goddess Commemorative Ed $5.99
                              Brian Pulidos Lady Death Death Goddess Tight Squeeze Cvr $5.99
                              Brian Pulidos Medieval Lady Death #2 Bring It On Cvr $5.99
                              Brian Pulidos War Angel #1 Hells Belle Cvr $5.99
                              Friday The 13th Special #1 Haunting Cvr $5.99
                              Nightmare On Elm Street Special #1 Carcass Cvr $5.99
                              Texas Chainsaw Massacre Special #1 Lurking Cvr $5.99

Blam Comics

Canton Kid #2 $3.50

Bliss On Tap

God The Dyslexic Dog #3 $3.50

Blue King Studios

Black Heart Irregulars #1 $3.00

Bongo Comics

Simpsons Comics #109 $2.99

Boom Studios

Giffens What Were They Thinking One Shot $3.99

Cryptic Press

Quicken Forbidden #13 $2.95

Digital Manga Publishing

Robot GN $24.95

Digital Webbing

Digital Webbing Presents #24 $3.50

Dork Storm Press

Lethargic Lad Jumbo Sized Annual #3 $3.99

DR Masters Productions

888 Vol 1 TP $9.95
                              Dark Edge Vol 3 TP $9.95
                              Iron Wok Jan GN #12 $9.95
                              Rahxephon Novel Vol 1 $7.95

Drawn & Quarterly

Ed The Happy Clown #3 $2.95

Dynamite Entertainment

DF Red Sonja #1 Rubi Alt Cvr $10.00

Fantagraphics

Hank Ketchams Complete Dennis The Menace 1951-1952 HC $24.95

Flesk Publications

Mark Schultz Various Drawings Vol 1 SC $19.95

Jas

Neris Le Herisson - The Hedgehog $8.00

Kenzer & Company

Knights Of The Dinner Table #106 $3.99

Kingly Books

Dont Tread On My Rosaries GN $14.00

Komikwerks

Thrills & Chills GN $9.95

Masterpiece Comics

Rushmore GN $6.95

Mirage Studios

Tales Of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #14 $3.25
                              Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #23 $2.95

Misc.

Anime Companion 2 TP $18.95
                              Everett Raymond Kinstler Artists Journey 1942-1962 HC $44.95

Oni Press

Banana Sundays #2 $2.99
                              Little Star #4 $2.99
                              Queen & Country Declassified Vol 2 #2 $2.99
                              Queen & Country Declassified Vol 3 #3 $2.99

Radio Comix

Furrlough #150 $3.50

Rebellion

2000 AD #1450 $4.10

Speakeasy Comics

Mutation #2 $2.99

St. Martins Press

Dragonlance Best of Weis and Hickman MMPB $7.99
                              Dragonlance Chronicles Vol 1 Dragons of Autumn Twilight MMPB $7.99
                              Dragonlance Chronicles Vol 2 Dragons of Winter Night MMPB $7.99
                              Dragonlance Chronicles Vol 3 Dragons of Spring Dawning MMPB $7.99
                              Dragonlance Dark Disciple Vol 1 Amber and Ashes MMPB $7.99
                              Dragonlance Dragons of Summer Flame MMPB $7.99
                              Dragonlance Legends Vol 1 Time of the Twins MMPB $7.99
                              Dragonlance Legends Vol 2 War of the Twins MMPB $7.99
                              Dragonlance Legends Vol 3 Test of the Twins MMPB $7.99
                              Dragonlance Second Genereation MMPB $7.99
                              Dragonlance War of the Souls Vol 1 Dragons of a Fallen Sun MMPB $7.99
                              Dragonlance War of the Souls Vol 2 Dragons of a Lost Star MMPB $7.99
                              Dragonlance War of the Souls Vol 3 Dragons of a Vanished Moon MMPB $7.99

Titan

Battlestar Galactica Vol 2 Memory Machine TP $19.95
                              Modesty Blaise Green Eyed Monster TP $16.95

Tokyopop

Ai Yori Aoshi Vol 10 GN $9.99
                              Alichino Vol 3 GN $9.99
                              Barbie Fairytopia Cinemanga GN $7.99
                              Battle Vixens Vol 8 GN $9.99
                              Code Lyoko Cinemanga Vol 1 GN $6.79
                              DNAngel Vol 9 GN $9.99
                              Girls Bravo Vol 1 GN $9.99
                              Kamichama Karin Vol 1 GN $9.99
                              Kanpai Vol 1 GN $9.99
                              Mobile Suit Gundam Ecole Du Ciel Vol 1 GN $9.99
                              Off Beat Vol 1 GN $9.99
                              Psychic Academy Vol 9 GN $9.99
                              Sesame Street Jr Cinemanga Vol 1 Elmo & Zoe Fly A Kite GN $3.39
                              Sesame Street Jr Cinemanga Vol 2 Happy Healthy Monsters GN $3.39
                              Slayers Novel Vol 5 $7.99
                              Tarot Cafe Vol 3 GN $9.99
                              Tokyo Mew Mew A La Mode Vol 2 GN $9.99
                              Van Von Hunter Vol 2 GN $9.99
                              War On Flesh Vol 1 GN $9.99

Tony Raiola

Krazy & Ignatz Dailies 1923 Ltd Pacific Comic Club $25.00

Urban Sequence

Brick City Bunch #2 $2.95

Viper Comics

Middleman #2 $2.95

Viz

Case Closed Vol 7 GN $9.95
                              Descendants Of Darkness Vol 7 GN $9.99
                              Dr Slump Vol 3 TP $7.99
                              Firefighter Daigo Of Fire Company M Vol 12 TP $9.95
                              From Far Away Vol 6 GN $9.99
                              Full Moon O Saga****e Vol 2 TP $8.99
                              Howls Moving Castle Film Comics Vol 1 TP $9.99
                              Hunter X Hunter Vol 4 TP $7.99
                              Inu Yasha Ani-Manga Vol 11 GN $11.99
                              Inu Yasha Vol 23 TP $8.95
                              Is Vol 3 GN $7.99
                              MAR Vol 3 GN $7.99
                              Midori Days Vol 1 GN $9.99
                              Please Save My Earth Vol 12 TP $9.99
                              Prince Of Tennis Vol 9 GN $7.95
                              Red River Vol 8 GN $9.99
                              Rurouni Kenshin Vol 18 TP $7.95
                              Shaman King Vol 7 TP $7.95
                              Ultimate Muscle Vol 8 GN $7.95
                              W Juliet Vol 6 GN $9.99
                              Whistle Vol 7 TP $7.99
                              Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist Vol 8 TP $7.95
                              ------------------------------------------------------------

What do you guys plan on picking up?

I think I'll check out -

DC
                              Adventures Of Superman #643
                              Batman #644
                              Day Of Vengeance #5
                              JSA Classified #2
                              Legion Of Super-Heroes #9
                              OMAC Project #5
                              Teen Titans #27

Invincible #25
                              Iron Ghost #3

Marvel

Daredevil #76
                              Daredevil vs Punisher #3
                              Wolverine #31

Dark Horse

Conan #19

A big week, but the last few have been pretty small for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X