PDA

View Full Version : Real science

pleed
August 17th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I was wondering if a ZPM generates more than 1.21 Jiggawatts. Obviously lightning has enough power to make the shields in Atlantis work and the Delorean work so what's the go??
Why don't all the stargate scientists get Uranium or a Mr. Fusion and power it with some compost.

captain keys
August 18th, 2005, 02:01 AM
rofl.....cause if they did there would probly be less stargate atlantis

_Owen_
August 24th, 2005, 11:21 PM
To power the shield it took several extremly conectrated burst of lighting all around the city, and it was only able to sustain the shield for a short amout of time. Obviously the combined power from the lighting strikes is more than a nuclear reaction, otherwise they could power the shields with a naquadah reactor.

Owen Macri

aironoeus
August 25th, 2005, 07:11 AM
You mis-titled the thread and it is also a duplicate thread. The thread where we were already discussing this is called, "how much power does the ZPM produce?"

_Owen_
August 25th, 2005, 09:38 AM
It is quite similar.

Owen Macri

Gargen
August 25th, 2005, 10:44 AM
and I may be wrong but its Gigawatts right?

DHD
August 25th, 2005, 12:02 PM
To power the shield it took several extremly conectrated burst of lighting all around the city, and it was only able to sustain the shield for a short amout of time. Obviously the combined power from the lighting strikes is more than a nuclear reaction, otherwise they could power the shields with a naquadah reactor.

Owen Macri

Also Owen don't forget while it did take several extremly concentrated lightning strikes, they did need to store enough power to get the shields to run for the time required.

On the same subject, being it took SO MUCH power from the lightning to get the shield generators to run for about 10 seconds, it gives us a idea of how much power a ZPM can store. 1.21 gigawatts * 7 strikes *10seconds *6 10 second intervals *60 minutes *24hrs *3500yrs and that is your answer, well not quite, but in sheer watts it should help. which if my math is correct (Most likely not) is well over 256 billion gigawatts of energy which would be enough to power this planet with everything running for about a 1000 years without any concern.

aAnubiSs
August 25th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Also Owen don't forget while it did take several extremly concentrated lightning strikes, they did need to store enough power to get the shields to run for the time required.

On the same subject, being it took SO MUCH power from the lightning to get the shield generators to run for about 10 seconds, it gives us a idea of how much power a ZPM can store. 1.21 gigawatts * 7 strikes *10seconds *6 10 second intervals *60 minutes *24hrs *3500yrs and that is your answer, well not quite, but in sheer watts it should help. which if my math is correct (Most likely not) is well over 256 billion gigawatts of energy which would be enough to power this planet with everything running for about a 1000 years without any concern.
You do know that watts mean joule per second?;)

DHD
August 25th, 2005, 12:42 PM
You do know that watts mean joule per second?;)

actually being I am not big into electricity I can't say I did. But thank you for your correction.

_Owen_
August 25th, 2005, 02:07 PM
I am not sure your calculations are corect, where did you get the figure of seven strikes and the figure of ten seconds. As well, the amount of energy in a lightning strike will vary between strikes.

Owen Macri

Three PhDs
August 25th, 2005, 02:08 PM
actually being I am not big into electricity I can't say I did. But thank you for your correction.Didn't you say you were a Scientist friend of Jaden before?

nicedog
August 25th, 2005, 02:26 PM
My country alone uses about 6 Tarawatts, i think 256 billion does not come even close to the power required for eurth

DHD
August 25th, 2005, 02:45 PM
I am not sure your calculations are corect, where did you get the figure of seven strikes and the figure of ten seconds. As well, the amount of energy in a lightning strike will vary between strikes.

Owen Macri

When you watch the episode 'The Eye' the shield is up for almost 10 seconds. And yes while lightning energy varies, I was going by what he said earlier on. So on that number.....

aAnubiSs
August 25th, 2005, 03:05 PM
he also forgot to multiply with 365.25 :)

DHD
August 25th, 2005, 03:07 PM
he also forgot to multiply with 365.25 :)

Thank you, As I said before I am not big into Electricity. But that only amplifies it up even more.

DHD
August 25th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Didn't you say you were a Scientist friend of Jaden before?

You must have me mistaken for someone else sir.

Three PhDs
August 25th, 2005, 05:38 PM
You must have me mistaken for someone else sir.
My apologies.

DHD
August 25th, 2005, 07:09 PM
No problems. We are all here to have fun.

Eoin
August 25th, 2005, 07:19 PM
My country alone uses about 6 Tarawatts, i think 256 billion does not come even close to the power required for eurth
I think you got the 6 terawatts wrong, in 2004 the world used 14.5 terawatts gross.
Unless you live in a HUGE country :)

Lord ┬žokar
August 25th, 2005, 07:22 PM
You did not mistake, Three PhDs, this is in fact the very same contemptible... person who tried to help jaden wipe the egg off his face. He may, in fact, be jaden, I dont know. His attitude to jaden took a remarkable about face, however. First he believed jaden was a faker just as much as we did (http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=4432973&postcount=14), then he was recruited as a disciple and fellow plagiarist (http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=4435039&postcount=49).

DHD
August 25th, 2005, 08:06 PM
You did not mistake, Three PhDs, this is in fact the very same contemptible... person who tried to help jaden wipe the egg off his face. He may, in fact, be jaden, I dont know. His attitude to jaden took a remarkable about face, however. First he believed jaden was a faker just as much as we did (http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=4432973&postcount=14), then he was recruited as a disciple and fellow plagiarist (http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=4435039&postcount=49).

Actually he did, cause I have no memory of ever taking part in such a thread.
I just recently created this user name. So whom ever this person is, I can pretty much guarentee it wasn't me.

nicedog
August 26th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Of the known power consumption 14 Terawatts sounds about right. In reality that number is way off I think.

For example , there are no records to no one available on how much power my country consumes. I think this is the same case with many others

_Owen_
August 26th, 2005, 09:40 PM
When you watch the episode 'The Eye' the shield is up for almost 10 seconds. And yes while lightning energy varies, I was going by what he said earlier on. So on that number.....
Ok, just checking.

Owen Macri

Three PhDs
August 27th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Thanks Sokar, turns out he was the same guy.

_Owen_
August 27th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Wait a minute. What? Who is the same guy as whom?

Owen Macri

Three PhDs
August 28th, 2005, 05:10 AM
Same guy that claimed to be a scientist who worked with jaden10

DHD
August 28th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Well, say what you want. I personally don't care. Suspect me of saying what you want, I honestly don't care. You can think I am John Hinkley, it doesn't mean anything. So continue with your speculation. The fact is that I am not the same person as this other one.

DHD
August 28th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Wait a minute. What? Who is the same guy as whom?

Owen Macri.

They think I am someone whom I am not. Let them speculate until the cows come home.

Three PhDs
August 28th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Well, say what you want. I personally don't care. Suspect me of saying what you want, I honestly don't care. You can think I am John Hinkley, it doesn't mean anything. So continue with your speculation. The fact is that I am not the same person as this other one.vBulletin does not allow the creation of duplicate usernames, and it was from your account that post was made. What other explanation is there?

DHD
August 28th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Well the one thing that does make sense, Just a minute ago I tried to creat a account under 'jaden10' and apparently it is available. Try it, and then tell me if that is a rock solid reason.

It stands to reason the account was closed. And it also stands to reason that this account that I am using was also closed being I was able to create it.

Three PhDs
August 28th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Well the one thing that does make sense, Just a minute ago I tried to creat a account under 'jaden10' and apparently it is available. Try it, and then tell me if that is a rock solid reason.

It stands to reason the account was closed. And it also stands to reason that this account that I am using was also closed being I was able to create it.
That "other account" has the same user id as you - http://forum.gateworld.net/member.php?u=9766

There's no doubt you're the same person.

DHD
August 28th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Ya know what. Why don't you just try what I said. And then you will see that there is actually a very good chance that I am not who you think I am. The Account "Jaden10" is open and available. This name was open and available just last week. That is why I have it. If that doesn't sit right with you, fine. But what I speak is the truth. And honestly, I find this interrogation pointless and a waste of this websites resources.

Three PhDs
August 28th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Ya know what. Why don't you just try what I said. And then you will see that there is actually a very good chance that I am not who you think I am. The Account "Jaden10" is open and available. This name was open and available just last week. That is why I have it. If that doesn't sit right with you, fine. But what I speak is the truth. And honestly, I find this interrogation pointless and a waste of this websites resources.
It's not an interrogation, I'm merely pointing out that someone with the same name, avatar, registration date, post count, and (most damningly) userid posted in support of jaden10, and it was you. There's no debate. I've owned and operated vBulletin from its early days in 2.0.x right though to current 3.5 and as far as I'm concerned the evidence speaks for itself.

DHD
August 28th, 2005, 07:59 AM
And even if what you say is true, how does this effect you or this website?

It doesn't. So honestly I don't see a need for this convo to continue past here.

Three PhDs
August 28th, 2005, 08:05 AM
And even if what you say is true, how does this effect you or this website?

It doesn't. So honestly I don't see a need for this convo to continue past here.It doesn't really, I just wondered why you were claiming you weren't that person, when you are. Anyway you're right, this is terrible derailment of the thread. Shame on me.