This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Spin

Hello. I'm new here. I read the FAQ but I did not find any answer to a certain question that bothers me from the beginning.

Why is that one time when there is incoming wormhole the gate spins and "dials" locking cheverons one by one, ane the other time when there is incoming wormhole, the cheveron's light just turn on (they are activated) but the gate doesnt spin at all????

I will take a "stab" at that one.

The way I understand it, if the last place the gate dialed "dials" back then all the cheverons are in place, so they do not need to change.

p.s. my first post! hope I am close to being right.

Comment

I thought about that. But even when stargate didnt redial (or dial from a prior destination) but from somewhere else, the gate doesnt spin in newer episodes (I discovered it in 8th season), if someone keeps track of earlier seasons, please check if I am right to those also.

I just watched S8E13 - its good to be king, and when Jaffa came to claim the planet to their god, the Gate did not spin at all. Daniel and Teal'c witnessed it.
      They just came from some place, prior to them tha gate was activated from Earth when Jack came through, so there is no chance Jaffa re-established wormhole so the gat didnt have to dial... (spin) so... as I understand it the Gate spins only when dialing out (to reach another gate adress) but when there is incoming worm hole the gate doeasnt have to spin to make a call (the same if you aswer the phone you dont have to push the numbers of your party ).

So WHY in some earlier episode the incoming wormhole made the gate spin????

Comment

I think it's safe to say any explanation you hear for this is going to be fanwank that requires speculation so far fetched that you may as well just accept the truth. They messed up. Then they fixed it.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Nope. Its not that simple. It goes like this - one episode it spins then it doesnt and then it spins again. So Its not about messing up, and fixing

Comment

ok i hope im helpful im more of an atlantis person so..they way i understand it
            is thers fast dialing that u just push the buttons on the dhd one after the other and activate it and thats fast dialing well the sgc doesnt have a dhd so
            we have to get so much power to the gate befor the inner track starts to spin and then we start to dialthis this can also be done with the dhd and is requerd for manule dialing

Comment

DHD automatically connects to the symbols. We don't have a DHD. Therefore it's slow and it spins.
              Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

Comment

thats what i said

Comment

So you say that the Gate spins only when there is no DHD (you have to dial manually?) and the computers in SGC do that? But as I said the case and my problem is not about dialing OUT but about INCOMING wormholes So case not solved yet

Comment

same thing our gate does that and ive seen an off world gate do it at least once so case solved theres your answer

Comment

Personlly, i think TPTB were just experimenting with the whole gate spinning thing. i'm pretty sure that in season 1-3 the gate used to spin and lock in on incoming wormholes but then it changed to just spin and all the chevrons light up and only the top chevron( seventh) one locked in, now i'm pretty sure it all just lights up after spinning and, i think..all the chevrons lock in? i might have got the last two things mixed up. Whatever, if TPTB decide something, we jus tstick with it.

TPTB=The Power That Be, The writers and directors and what-not in short.

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

i agree

Comment

In Season 2 episode 'Serpant's Song' where Sokar dials the Earth Gate and sends an energy weapon through the gate that causes the Gate Room to super-heat, Earth are unable to dial out and prevent Sokar from dialing in because the dialing computer is slow and Sokar can use a DHD very quickly.

To solve this problem, Carter came up with a program that sped up the dialing sequence so that Earth could dial out and send Apophis' body back to Sokar. This sequence still required the Gate's ring to spin, just faster.

Perhaps Carter has been able to create a program similar to the one in 'Serpant's Song' but that doesn't require the ring to spin, however, in Season 8's 'Avatar' where Carter and Teal'c try to send an overloading Naquada generator through the gate, we clearly see that the ring is still as slow as ever and the chevrons do lock.

This is just a huge problem of continuity throughout the whole show that could be called a kind of 'plot hole'

- "I ask you. What could possibly be in my eye that would explain this?"
                          - "Lose it…it meant go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one’s faculties, three fries short of a happy meal….WACKO!"
                          - "I'm taking this loop off..."
                          - "Did they try the doughnuts? You made sure they were krispy kremes right?"
                          - "Carter, all I heard was matrix, and I found those films quite confusing."
                          - "I played Def Jam Vendetta."

Comment

i couldnt agree with u more

Comment

Well first, welcome to both Saboteur and Quantum_Mind, I hope you guys enjoy the forum.

As for the matter at hand I believe it has simply been inconsistent as sometimes the gate will spin for no apparent reason and other times it won't.

Perhaps it is that plot-sensing mechanism in the gate that does it. lol.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                              X