This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question(s) about the stargate

Hello all. I am no master of physics, quantum mechanics or whatever else is needed to understand the working of the stargate (and the fact that is a fiction show). According to some scientists, to get a working wormhole you need two things: a black hole on one side and a white hole on the other side. A white hole is just the opposite of a black hole (i.e. nothing can enter it, it pushes everything away). Although white holes are mathematically possible, no one can think of how it would be created. Lets say that the stargates create the holes needed and the fact that you are destroyed and then recreated when going through (as the comisc radiation would kill you if you travelled normally through it). What I don't understand is, if the end of the wormhole is the white hole and that is why they can't go back through it why are they able to send radio signals back and forth? Nothing should be able to get through.
    "Those who sow the wind might reap the whirlwind."

"Only God knows everything and he works for the Mossad."

Originally posted by vonbismarck
    Hello all. I am no master of physics, quantum mechanics or whatever else is needed to understand the working of the stargate (and the fact that is a fiction show). According to some scientists, to get a working wormhole you need two things: a black hole on one side and a white hole on the other side. A white hole is just the opposite of a black hole (i.e. nothing can enter it, it pushes everything away). Although white holes are mathematically possible, no one can think of how it would be created. Lets say that the stargates create the holes needed and the fact that you are destroyed and then recreated when going through (as the comisc radiation would kill you if you travelled normally through it). What I don't understand is, if the end of the wormhole is the white hole and that is why they can't go back through it why are they able to send radio signals back and forth? Nothing should be able to get through.
    A white hole is essentially a quasar, and nobody wants to walk out of one of them. The stargate system as seen on SG-1 wouldn't operate any kind of white hole at all. Too deadly for peeps. More likely an artificially stabilised wormhole is what's used.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

When you say that a wormhole is only created with a black and white hole, you are incorrect.

Recently, Stephen Hawk has revised his theory about black holes. He now stated that black holes don't suck in matter and spew it out through a white hole, but rather takes it in and emits it out as radiation or matter particles.

Also, a wormhole can be created without the aid of a black hole. A wormhole is just a rip in the spacetime continuum that connects two points of the universe or two points of two different universes.

What the stargate does is make a sub-atomic link in the quantum scale and connect it via a wormhole. Matter can only enter one way at a time however. But since radio signals are just waves of energy, they can pass because energy isn't binded down to sub-atomic particles.

Comment

The wormhole used by the stargate is essentially and artificial subspace power conduit. The Stargate on one end converst matter into energy and sends it along the conduit for recreation on the other side as solid matter. The other effects such as it only being one way are assumed to be a safty mechanism built into the gate to avoid data collision.

Comment

From what I have read, black holes do take things in and then crunch them down until almost nothing. From what I have read, the radiation it is giving off is from its own weight, since it still ways the same as it did before becoming a black hole, although I would guess some of what it sucks in would also be expelled. I don't see what that would have to do with wormholes though as it is not emitting the radiation in some far off place. Just for the record, it is also speculated that quasars are supermassive black holes. Not that would matter anyway as if it is done the way you mention all of this is for naught. Also, I based that on the fact that Carter and others have used the words event horizon, which I am sure can be used for many things but when I hear it, I always think of black holes.

Comment

it creates a tear in supace to help form a wormhole

Comment

Originally posted by Myst_Lore
              When you say that a wormhole is only created with a black and white hole, you are incorrect.

Recently, Stephen Hawk has revised his theory about black holes. He now stated that black holes don't suck in matter and spew it out through a white hole, but rather takes it in and emits it out as radiation or matter particles.
              It's Stephen Hawking for starters, and it wasn't recently either. Hawking Radiation, which is what you're referring to also doesn't work in the manner you state. Hawking radiation is a bit of a misnomer anyway. It refers to the potential for a particle/antiparticle pair to be created at the edge of the event horizon of a black hole, where purely by chance the particle manages to escape before cancelling itself out with it's antiparticle pair. The antiparticle has the misfortune to fall into the black hole meaning we have a net loss in mass on the part of the black hole and a particle apparently emitted from very close to the event horizon corresponding to the mass lost. The black hole itself does not ever emit anything.

Also, a wormhole can be created without the aid of a black hole. A wormhole is just a rip in the spacetime continuum that connects two points of the universe or two points of two different universes.
              That would just be a tear, not a wormhole.

What the stargate does is make a sub-atomic link in the quantum scale and connect it via a wormhole.
              What's a subatomic link? Sounds made up on the spot to me.
              Matter can only enter one way at a time however. But since radio signals are just waves of energy, they can pass because energy isn't binded down to sub-atomic particles.
              Binded down to sub-atomic particles? Also made up on the spot?

Originally posted by Esquin
              The wormhole used by the stargate is essentially and artificial subspace power conduit.
              Subspace? That's just a made up term with no meaning whatsoever for real science.

Originally posted by vonbismarck
              From what I have read, black holes do take things in and then crunch them down until almost nothing. From what I have read, the radiation it is giving off is from its own weight, since it still ways the same as it did before becoming a black hole, although I would guess some of what it sucks in would also be expelled.
              You've misread it, see my earlier explanation in this post of Hawking Radiation.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

I thought quasars are rotating neutron stars? Which turn extremely fast and emit extremely high amounts of EM radiation, due to the extremely high magnetic field.

The Stargate on one end converst matter into energy and sends it along the conduit for recreation on the other side as solid matter. The other effects such as it only being one way are assumed to be a safty mechanism built into the gate to avoid data collision.
                Ok, the reason why (IMO) matter can only go one way is the event horizon (the puddle), is because the 'puddle' blocks the matter from enering one end, as to prevent someone from being half in the gate when someone is coming out at the same end. Data can be transmited both ways through the wormhole, and EM radiation (other than visible light) isn't blocked by the 'puddle' as it doesn't interfere that much with matter. THis explains why matter can go one way and energy can go both ways. As for the wormhole, IMO, it is a microscopic wormhole through which all the information is sent (as energy) and then the 'puddle' mearly reforms the matter on the other side.

Comment

i agree wit u thor

Comment

Remember that the wormholes used by the Stargates are completely artificial. If a real black hole was involved then it would suck everything into it, and obviously this doesn't happen in the show.

The Stargate somehow derives energy from subspace (like ZPM's) to create artificial passages through space and time, so none of us would be affected if the wormhole only travelled through supspace.

Real wormhole's would be visible, or the effects they had would be visible by us, wormholes used by the Stargate aren't visible because they exist in a completely different dimension and therefore as teams travel through them, no experience is felt (such as being sucked/pulled through)

Real wormholes would also not break apart our particles, so there would be some kind of experience, though the speed we would be travelling would pull apart our bodies.

- "I ask you. What could possibly be in my eye that would explain this?"
                    - "Lose it…it meant go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one’s faculties, three fries short of a happy meal….WACKO!"
                    - "I'm taking this loop off..."
                    - "Did they try the doughnuts? You made sure they were krispy kremes right?"
                    - "Carter, all I heard was matrix, and I found those films quite confusing."
                    - "I played Def Jam Vendetta."

Comment

thats what i was trying to say that they create a tear in subspace to help the worm hole form

Comment

Originally posted by captain_kirk999
                        The Stargate somehow derives energy from subspace (like ZPM's) to create artificial passages through space and time, so none of us would be affected if the wormhole only travelled through supspace.
                        Tech no babble. Wormholes don't travel anywhere. They are connected regions of spacetime.

Real wormhole's would be visible, or the effects they had would be visible by us, wormholes used by the Stargate aren't visible because they exist in a completely different dimension and therefore as teams travel through them, no experience is felt (such as being sucked/pulled through)
                        Wormholes don't have to be visible.

Real wormholes would also not break apart our particles, so there would be some kind of experience, though the speed we would be travelling would pull apart our bodies.
                        More technobabble. Real world wormholes vary so much in their makeup and constitution that your statements are completely... unfounded and absurd.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

You are correct Three PhDs, I did read wrong about Stephen Hawkings theory (it was in the 1970's that he theorized this). For anyone who is interested, I will post a link here with some information about black holes and a bit about wormholes/white holes. I found it an interesting read but then again, I am a boring person. http://cosmology.berkeley.edu/Education/BHfaq.html.

Comment

i think its a good link veary interesting

Comment

Here is one more link that I have that might be of interest as I believe they have talked of some of these things on stargate: http://www.thebigview.com/spacetime/index.html

If I find anymore of my bookmarked sites, I will let you all know (my bookmarks are a jumbled mess).

Comment

Working...
                              X