PDA

View Full Version : Chevron locked or unlocked i don't know, do you?

Darkstar
August 12th, 2005, 05:21 AM
i have noticed that the gate on earth the chevrons move they move inwards then lock out, but on other gates the chevrons don't lock and on some planets they lock but other they just light up.

i thought this was just that the earth gate was different and that eithet the antartci gate was diffrent to the egypt gate can anyone explain the reason behind this?

_Owen_
August 12th, 2005, 03:46 PM
The reason, I hate to say it, is that the producers have been inconsistent with the shows. And many times it has apeared diffrently. When the plot requires more time, the chevrons will usually lock.

Owen Macri

Lord ┬žokar
August 12th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Nay, only chevrons on earth open and close, this is because the computer is unable to send glyph data directly to a chevron, it can only send signals like "rotate clockwise", "rotate counterclockwise", "stop" and "lock". The DHDs are capable of transmitting exactly the right data, when you press pisces it is immediately sent to chevron 1 and it lights up. On earth if you want to designate pisces you have to position the ring so pisces is undernead the top chevron and tell the gate "that one". The top chevron then opens, closes and chevron 1 lights up with pisces stored within it.

It's been remarkably consistent in that regard, too.

_Owen_
August 12th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Actually, we have seen chevrons lock off world before. I just can't put my finger on an episode.

Owen Macri

Lord ┬žokar
August 12th, 2005, 11:01 PM
I assure you, we haven't.

_Owen_
August 12th, 2005, 11:05 PM
I could swear I have seen it happen before, but I won't because the forum is rated PG. lol.

Owen Macri

captain keys
August 13th, 2005, 03:13 AM
our chevrons lock and unlock b/c we dont have a dhd and we jerry rigged a system to work the gate and we have to have so much power to unlock the inner ring to spin now off world gates can "fast diel" by taping the symbols fast then activate the gate :D

Salas1
August 13th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Surely as we now have several large ships then we could just steal stargates from disused planets, such as the one where they sent Anubis in Chekovs body, anyway, this way each ship could have a stargate inside it and they could also steal a DHD to give to Earth. The ships Should have better gate rooms though with permanent machine gun turrets and use a force field for an Iris as well as the Titanium one like at the SGC.

Jarnin
August 13th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Surely as we now have several large ships then we could just steal stargates from disused planets, such as the one where they sent Anubis in Chekovs body, anyway, this way each ship could have a stargate inside it and they could also steal a DHD to give to Earth. The ships Should have better gate rooms though with permanent machine gun turrets and use a force field for an Iris as well as the Titanium one like at the SGC.
There's no reason to steal gates from other planets, unless of course we need them for other worlds that lack Stargates.

There's no need for gates on ships either. The only time they'd work is when you're near an established address, so you might as well just stick them on the planets where they're needed.

Earth doesn't need a DHD. Earth has a need to dial other galaxies from time to time, and you can't do that with a DHD unless you have a special control crystal installed. The dialing computer at the SGC does all that just fine. Sure, it's hacked, but it's better than a DHD in many regards.

cozzerob
August 13th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Owen, if you could find that episode where the gate locks each chevron individually off-world, then that would be immensly helpful.

Also, I agree, in the early days, a dhd would have been better, but now our system is getting more advanced, it's quite cool. forinstance, we can travel to other galaxies, we can ignore stargate feedback data to get a lock anyway. The only problem is that the dialling system ignores 220 (?) of the possible 400 feedback signals, but once mcKay pointed that out i'm sure it was fixed. so, aslong as you're willing to sacrifice speed, the earth dialling system is excellent.

Darkstar
August 13th, 2005, 09:31 AM
i think the episode to see the gate off world locking is i think COTG but don't quote me on that i will have a look but im pretty sure it was a early episode and im deffinately sure it has happend so the DHD analasis is outa the window.

_Owen_
August 15th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Ok, well, when I have some time I will look over the episodes which I have on DVD.

Owen Macri

_Owen_
August 15th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Owen, if you could find that episode where the gate locks each chevron individually off-world, then that would be immensly helpful.

Also, I agree, in the early days, a dhd would have been better, but now our system is getting more advanced, it's quite cool. forinstance, we can travel to other galaxies, we can ignore stargate feedback data to get a lock anyway. The only problem is that the dialling system ignores 220 (?) of the possible 400 feedback signals, but once mcKay pointed that out i'm sure it was fixed. so, aslong as you're willing to sacrifice speed, the earth dialling system is excellent.
Ok, well, when I have some time I will look over the episodes which I have on DVD.

Owen Macri

mightydefiant
August 15th, 2005, 11:34 PM
"Shades of Grey" In the end(DVD, end of track 4) when sg-1 go back to eath and Jack is watching them, while Sam dails, the chevrons light up one at a time

_Owen_
August 16th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Light up, or physically, move forward then backwards again?

Owen Macri

mightydefiant
August 16th, 2005, 12:11 AM
Just light up.

captain keys
August 17th, 2005, 05:27 AM
i think in ep TOUCHSTONE u cant see the chevrons lock but u can her them and that one had a dhd but that gate was on earth at the time

mightydefiant
August 17th, 2005, 06:30 AM
You can always hear it lock. But we were talking about a visual refrence as the chevrons glowing.

captain keys
August 17th, 2005, 06:39 AM
in the ep were jack joins an off world op to cacth the roug nid

mightydefiant
August 17th, 2005, 11:44 AM
You think are talking about Shades of Gray. And I already mentioned that one.

6thMonolith
August 17th, 2005, 02:50 PM
I think it happens in the preview for the video game. Hopefully there won't be too many errors in it.

mightydefiant
August 17th, 2005, 03:44 PM
I think it happens in the preview for the video game. Hopefully there won't be too many errors in it.
Um... I heard here that the comany making it thought it sucked and caned it.

captain keys
August 17th, 2005, 08:13 PM
i herd that it Ships on 2/1/2006 thats what it says on ebgames.com

captain keys
August 18th, 2005, 01:28 AM
i dont think the chevrons lock inplace for incoming worm holes and if u want to see a chevron lock for an outgoing worm hole wacht the movie

mightydefiant
August 18th, 2005, 12:06 PM
In the movie, the chevrons locked differnt from the show, each one moved but in the show, only the top one moved.

captain keys
August 18th, 2005, 12:57 PM
in some ep the oringin chevron and another chevron lock at the same time

mightydefiant
August 18th, 2005, 02:17 PM
How it goes I think is that the symble stops at the top, the chevron up there opens, closes, and the chevron on the sides light up(1-6).

_Owen_
August 23rd, 2005, 11:23 AM
In the movie, the chevrons locked differnt from the show, each one moved but in the show, only the top one moved.
Yes, in the movie they also used diffrent sounds and the chevrons did not light up.

Owen Macri

Stricken
August 23rd, 2005, 12:53 PM
COTG when on Abydos the first chevron gos out and then back like the 7th chevron on the earth Stargate

_Owen_
August 23rd, 2005, 01:26 PM
Interesting I will have to rewatch that.

Owen Macri

mightydefiant
August 23rd, 2005, 01:37 PM
When Apohis goes to Abydos, the first chevron we see when the gate avtivates does move.

_Owen_
August 23rd, 2005, 02:02 PM
Ok, cool, I think at the begining of the series they did that, but I am not sure.

Owen Macri

mightydefiant
August 23rd, 2005, 02:06 PM
It's the only time that I can recall it happening.

Stricken
August 24th, 2005, 06:29 AM
The probably did and then realised that they wernt suppose to do that or it cost more to do it so they stopped

_Owen_
August 24th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Yes, it probably costs more money to have every chevron move.

Owen Macri

mightydefiant
August 25th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Also the prop they use for off-world locations has to be faily easy to move(other than the fact it is 2 stories tall when complete). If it had moving chevrons, it would have more parts and take more time to move.

_Owen_
August 27th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Yes, good point.

Owen Macri