PDA

View Full Version : earths 3rd battle cruiser #possible spoilers inside#

zer0_1
August 12th, 2005, 01:45 AM
well, it seems earth has another battle cruiser, the oddysey (sp?) set to appear in s9 'off the grid'
from what it has been described, its a daedalus class cruiser, so it would looks like the daedalus then i assume (obviously)

immhotep
August 12th, 2005, 04:14 AM
yes but i also think it might have some other features that are not in the daedy, for example it could have ion drive engine, whereas the daedy used standard sublight thrust.
i cant waitto see this ship, bit sadened that we havent got the ' athena' yet, for those who are familier with my admiration for the name :D

_Owen_
August 12th, 2005, 04:36 AM
Lol, yes, The Athena will be next!

I believe The Oddesy will have improvemnts made upon it, perhaps not incredibly significant but deffinetly improvments.

Owen Macri

zer0_1
August 12th, 2005, 04:42 AM
yes but i also think it might have some other features that are not in the daedy, for example it could have ion drive engine, whereas the daedy used standard sublight thrust.
i cant waitto see this ship, bit sadened that we havent got the ' athena' yet, for those who are familier with my admiration for the name :D

lol, athena, sopunds good
i think the oddesey will look like the daedy, maybe soem minor changes but in all the same, its a daedalus class cruiser so it ought to remain the same

_Owen_
August 12th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Ya, if it is Daedalus Class, it should look relativley the same.

Owen Macri

immhotep
August 12th, 2005, 07:53 AM
might not have an asgard........dunno how many they can spare

nimitz
August 12th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Hopefully it will have energy weapons.Otherwise it still wont have any offensive capebilities.

nimitz
August 12th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Why havent any other countires built a capital ship or at least a f-302.

immhotep
August 12th, 2005, 09:12 AM
because they have no naquadah, no asgard, and no stargate :)

kirmit
August 12th, 2005, 09:24 AM
yer we have another cruiser KOOL! I'm just wondering wot's happened to the prommie? Seems to of bin shuffed out the picture.

nimitz
August 12th, 2005, 10:38 AM
But they have to give all information on technologie procured through the stargate and secondly im sure the international commite could force them to get naquada for other countries capital ships.

immhotep
August 12th, 2005, 11:08 AM
well the US have 3 ships that can destroy anything on earth in and cant be touched by earth weapons..........would you argue if they said u have to wait a while?

zer0_1
August 12th, 2005, 11:19 AM
But they have to give all information on technologie procured through the stargate and secondly im sure the international commite could force them to get naquada for other countries capital ships.

well the main nations are probably waiting for the US to perfect their ships, let them use up their money upgrading then use the plans afterwards, though the daedalus class seems to be the one they have stuck with
now i need to make a new banner, one with the new ship in, im off to make
cheerio

kirmit
August 12th, 2005, 11:30 AM
well after reading more season 9 spoilers I'm fairly sure there will be sum international cruisers in season 10, well at least it looks that way.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
August 12th, 2005, 11:58 AM
You know they would make one or two prometheus-class ship. I personally like the Prometheus-class ships over the Daedalus-class ships. But by a slim margin.

Indum'kra
August 12th, 2005, 12:06 PM
They aren't 'prometheus class' and 'deadlus class' They're all the same class, BC-303. the prometheus was but the prototype, and all ships after it are the production model BC-303, like the Deadlus.

immhotep
August 12th, 2005, 12:45 PM
no the promethius was the X-303 with a name,
the daedalus was the BC-303 - daedalus class.

Major Fischer
August 12th, 2005, 01:09 PM
First off, it's spelled Odyssey, secondly I'm rather wondering about the wisdom of naming a ship after a novel revolving around a voyage that takes ten years to get from Turkey to Greece.

Secondly, Athena is a god's name, and Prometheus and Daedalus were human or demigod or hero figures, not gods. There is likely a Goa'uld out there going by the name Athena, thus making it unlikely for an earth ship name.

Third, no where in the series has it been established that there is anything such as the Prometheus-class or the Daedalus-class or that the Daedalus is a BC-303 in distinction. It is economically and militarily silly to make ships of different designs. That's why the navy builds their ships in classes.

zer0_1
August 12th, 2005, 01:12 PM
as immohtep stated, prometheus is the X-303, it was a prototype, constanly being upgraded, the daedalus is the BC-303 and has all of prommies upgrades incorporated plus more and all future ships will be desgined based on this, therefore creating a daedalus class generation

Melyanna
August 12th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Yes, it's spelt Odyssey, from the Latin odyssea, from the Greek odysseia. Personally, I think if they're going to use this story, they ought to name it after Odysseus or at least use the Greek form of the word. The word "odyssey" didn't come into English usage until the seventeenth century. [/linguist]

Major Fischer's right; it's incredibly unfeasible to develop brand-new ships at the drop of a hat. The Daedalus-class is going to be a bit more refined than Prometheus since the latter was an experimental design, but this ship isn't going to be much different than Daedalus.

Also, the fascination with Greek tragedies is a bit odd. Prometheus gets his flesh picked off by eagles every morning, Daedalus loses his son, and Odysseus takes ten years to get home. This may be why Prometheus and Daedalus have had problems. They're dooming themselves. ;)

_Owen_
August 12th, 2005, 01:25 PM
I still think X-303 sounds cooler...

Owen Macri

nimitz
August 12th, 2005, 01:28 PM
If the us had technoliges which threaten the rest of the world i am sure this is a better reason for other countries having themselves.I am sure russia and china are building some bc-303 and other nations are building f-302s which are increidably good probly better than a bc-303 in a confration with another capital ship because of the fact that it can get in close and fire naquada enhanced missiles.And if the us can get enough naquada to arm every f-302s with naquada enhanced nukes im sure they can get enough for another capital ship for another country to have their own capital ship.

_Owen_
August 12th, 2005, 01:32 PM
But Russia and China don't have access to Naquadah, they can build as many ships as they want, but they aren't going to get very far with them.

Owen Macri

section31
August 12th, 2005, 02:00 PM
You know, instead of Oddesy, they could always name the next one Enterprise...I wouldn't say no to that.

But IMO, what I would love to see is a carrier based ship instead - The Frontier, since it would utilize the lastest technologies. A human hive ship 1km long with at least 70 F-302s, 4 SG Teams, 300 Delta Forces, reverse engineered Goa'ould energy weapons, railguns for point defense,high yield nuclear naquadah missles, Asguard shields, hyperdrives and transporters, Perhaps an Atlantis AI? You know like Cortona from Halo 2? Wouldn't that be cool?

I was also wondering, since Atlantis is the Ancient's most advance facility (since it was the last one standing), wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that there is a factory to manufacture more Puddle jumpers or contain blueprints and materials to consturct Ancient Battle ships or Drones?

zer0_1
August 12th, 2005, 02:04 PM
enterprise has been done, and lost, check unnatural selection, jack wanted prom to be named that, and failed
a carrier based cruiser would be nice, perhaps the X-304? as for a name, athena is good, or my fave, thesius (sp?)

_Owen_
August 12th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Well they need to name one of their ships Enterprise, come on who doesn't like that!

Owen Macri

Major Fischer
August 12th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Well they need to name one of their ships Enterprise, come on who doesn't like that!

Owen Macri

The Sony/MGM legal department when they get the cease and decist from the Viacom/Paramount legal department.

_Owen_
August 12th, 2005, 02:17 PM
But they could claim it was named after one of the other millions of ships in our real history named Enterprise.

Owen Macri

Major Fischer
August 12th, 2005, 02:22 PM
But they could claim it was named after one of the other millions of ships in our real history named Enterprise.

Does not matter. Paramount/Viacom doesn't have to be right for them to give them so much aggrivation that they simply would not do it. Not to mention the fact that from MGM/Sony's point of view it's giving free advertising to another studeo's product.

_Owen_
August 12th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Well, Paramount can bug them as much as they want to, MGM can just file a harrasment suit, and it is over.

Owen Macri

Major Fischer
August 12th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Well, Paramount can bug them as much as they want to, MGM can just file a harrasment suit, and it is over.

Owen Macri

Multinational corporations do not waste money. The avoid law suits not pick them.

And the trademark and intellectual property issues aside, the United States already has a warship named the Enterprise. USS Enterprise (CVN-65), the world's first nuclear powered aircraft carrier commissioned 25 November 1961.

nimitz
August 12th, 2005, 02:51 PM
But Russia and China don't have access to Naquadah, they can build as many ships as they want, but they aren't going to get very far with them.

Owen Macri
An international commite oversees the stargate program and they could force them to get naquada im sure other countries such as the uk and france while being major US allies wouldnt want one country to have access to alien cultures which they could stop giving them access to if US really wanted and advanced technolige.

_Owen_
August 12th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Well they could just say, "Nope, too dangerous. We don't know where the naquadah is going, and even if it is secure, terrorists could steal it an use it against us."

Owen Macri

nimitz
August 12th, 2005, 03:09 PM
And the international commitee could stop all funding to the stargate program.Tell their people about the stargate program and the fact the US goverment has nearly annhilated the world on several times and has weapons which threaten the status quo.

_Owen_
August 12th, 2005, 03:26 PM
They don't have that kind of power.

Owen Macri

nimitz
August 12th, 2005, 03:47 PM
The f-302 can effectivly annhilate any other fighter on earth and in space can travel as fast as any ballistic missile and shhot them down the sheer fact they could discover weapons which could destroy enemy cities without any radiation and also build shields which they could place in secret around every major US city to protect it from aggresors ,get a ZPM power the outpost and effectivly annhilate every military on earth without threating themselves the list just goes on and on.And the russians managed to hide their stargate from the richest nation on earth for several months.Im also sure they would hide their bc-303s at least as effectivly as the US.And they have hundreds of miles devoid of humans to hid such a device.

_Owen_
August 12th, 2005, 03:52 PM
I'm sorry, where did that come from? lol.

Owen Macri

nimitz
August 12th, 2005, 04:01 PM
You said they dont have that kind of power i replied that they do.

Xanderic
August 12th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Yes, it's spelt Odyssey, from the Latin odyssea, from the Greek odysseia. Personally, I think if they're going to use this story, they ought to name it after Odysseus or at least use the Greek form of the word. The word "odyssey" didn't come into English usage until the seventeenth century. [/linguist]

Major Fischer's right; it's incredibly unfeasible to develop brand-new ships at the drop of a hat. The Daedalus-class is going to be a bit more refined than Prometheus since the latter was an experimental design, but this ship isn't going to be much different than Daedalus.

Also, the fascination with Greek tragedies is a bit odd. Prometheus gets his flesh picked off by eagles every morning, Daedalus loses his son, and Odysseus takes ten years to get home. This may be why Prometheus and Daedalus have had problems. They're dooming themselves. ;)

well Stargate is based on Greek Mythology; Gould is based on Egyptian and Asian; Asgard is based on Norse. And they would never use Epimetheus or Icarus because we know them as sort of negative characters. As such, in the show it's Prommie and Daedie

Major Fischer
August 12th, 2005, 05:11 PM
well Stargate is based on Greek Mythology; Gould is based on Egyptian and Asian; Asgard is based on Norse. And they would never use Epimetheus or Icarus because we know them as sort of negative characters. As such, in the show it's Prommie and Daedie

Goa'uld are based on a wide mythology, not just Egyptian and Asian.

Cronos was a Greek god
Morrigan and Calamus were Celtic
Bael was a middle eastern god
Kali is an Indian god
Zipacna was a central and south american god

Xanderic
August 12th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Goa'uld are based on a wide mythology, not just Egyptian and Asian.

Cronos was a Greek god
Morrigan and Calamus were Celtic
Bael was a middle eastern god
Kali is an Indian god
Zipacna was a central and south american god

Cronus was a Titan not a greek god... He was the father of Zeus
I don't remember Morrigan but she is Celtic
Camulus is a Roman War God
Baal is Judaic aka Middle Eastern... anscester of Jesus basically
I don't remember Kali but she is Hindi aka Asian
I don't remember Zipacna but she is Mayan

Melyanna
August 12th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Cronus was a Titan not a greek god... He was the father of Zeus
Cronus was a Titan, which is still of Greek origin.

I don't remember Morrigan but she is Celtic
Season 5, Summit.

Camulus is a Roman War God
Nope, Celtic war god. See Season 8, New Order.

Baal is Judaic aka Middle Eastern... anscester of Jesus basically
Hardly. Baal is from the region of Canaan, but was around well before the Israelites conquered the region. I believe he's of Philistine origin — sometimes referred to as Beelzebub, lord of the flies.

I don't remember Kali but she is Hindi aka Asian
Season 5, Summit. Where exactly do you think Hinduism began? And where do you think India is if not in Asia?

Yeah, don't remember the episode title and I'm too lazy to look it up. Season 4 or 5, the episode where they saved Skaara.

As for the rest of your point, most of Greek mythology has some tragic bent to it. It's not like Prometheus, Daedalus, or Odysseus led happy, cheerful lives. Good guys, perhaps, but not happy.

Greek mythology is perhaps the mythological base they've used least. (They used Pelops at one point, but he and Cronus are the only ones I remember.) My feeling is that since the whole myth of Atlantis is Greek, they're reserving most of Greek mythology for the Ancients.

That said, I highly doubt they're going to use one of the Greek goddesses for a ship name. One of the Furies — Alecto, Tisiphone, or Megaera — is far more likely.

_Owen_
August 12th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Yes, Mythology is quite an interesting subject, especially when Stargate mythology links with real mythology.

Owen Macri

Xanderic
August 12th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Oh my effing god... this is the FORTH time I've tried to post this because of the database error thing... as such I'm shortening everything

Cronus = titan/gou'ld overthrown by zeus aka sort of like us so we are sort of 'gods' in a way

I was thinking Celtic but typed Roman... pantheon.org lists him in Celtic myth but says he is roman war god that's why

i know about baal being Beezlebub aka Lotf because of the book. I meant "ancestor of Jesus" as before christ i didn't mean it literally... i was too lazy to actually look his era up... i believe he was around 14century BC

Oma Desala's monk? lol... India is in Asia. Kali, Lord Yu, and Amaterastzu are All asian; my premise therefore is correct

Never said Prom, Daed, and Ody lived blissful lives. We just rather relate to them because of what they did instead of their counterparts, Epi and Icar. Epi gave all the gifts to the animals and left nothing for humans; arrogant Icar plunged headlong into the Icarian Sea. Prom stole the sacred fire for us but was subject to his organs being eaten eternally; Daed built the maze but was captured and locked by the king and his own genius got him out; Ody was the one who came up with the Trojan Horse but he was subject to a really long route home and then he had to kill all of his wife's suitors.

What about Cassandra? and Janus? I understand how Greek myth would be saved for the Ancients cuz of Janus but what about Merlin, Melia, and Chaya? (See my Known/Unknown Ancients thread below)... Merlin was Arthurian and Melia was greek nymph and both were heads of the council. I suspect the Ancients to be of most if not all mythology because there was a black guy on the council as well so African myth is likely as well.

Agreed. They probably will not name ships after gods/goddesses but rather humans. I was thinking about the Furies but if they name ships after them they will have to create a newer, better class of warship because the Furies were one of a kind triplet torturers whereas Daed, Prom, and Ody are all HUMANS.

_Owen_
August 12th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Very interesting post, I am no expert but I find history and mythology very interesting.

Owen Macri

captain keys
August 12th, 2005, 09:29 PM
i think the daedalus is better and IF we get a new ship i think it will be of a better design and should have primitive asgard energy weaons :D

_Owen_
August 12th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Yes, I do not believe we would just rebuild the same ship, especially at this point on the technological scale. Perhaps, when we reached a level of technology where we had no really large developments in the future, we might build a fleet. But with all of the technology out there, by the time we built a fleet the technology would be outdated.

Owen Macri

iBorg
August 13th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Why other countries don't build space cruisers ? For the same reason they don't build (large, US Navy size) aircraft carriers : because its frigging expensive !

BTW, at the time of the Iliad and Odyssey, Turkey did not exist. The area was generally refered to as Asia Minor or Anatolia. There weren't even Turks there until the central asian nomads called Turks invaded and conquered what is now Turkey but was at the time part of the Roman Empire of Constantinople. The inhabitants were greek and celtic people.

zer0_1
August 13th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Why other countries don't build space cruisers ? For the same reason they don't build (large, US Navy size) aircraft carriers : because its frigging expensive !

or it could be the fact that no other countries hve access to naquadah (sp) and other material only available offworld
this namibg of the cuisers reminds me of the matrix movies, all there ships were named after mythology

nimitz
August 13th, 2005, 07:19 AM
I am sure russia which is the only country to have people constantly in space can afford spaceships even if it is only f-302s.

valha'lla
August 13th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Yes, I do not believe we would just rebuild the same ship, especially at this point on the technological scale. Perhaps, when we reached a level of technology where we had no really large developments in the future, we might build a fleet. But with all of the technology out there, by the time we built a fleet the technology would be outdated.

Owen Macri
Yes although the US is building a fleet of BC-303 i think that its just a generic term for the ships as with all the new tech that is being found researched invented and backwards enginered no two ships of this class will be exactly the same as each one will have some improments built in to the design and others added on. As for the mitholigy it is cool but i hope they don't just use Greek mitholigy as names for the ships.

immhotep
August 13th, 2005, 09:36 AM
check out my naming theory in GD 'figured ship naming out......'

_Owen_
August 15th, 2005, 10:46 PM

BTW, at the time of the Iliad and Odyssey, Turkey did not exist. The area was generally refered to as Asia Minor or Anatolia. There weren't even Turks there until the central asian nomads called Turks invaded and conquered what is now Turkey but was at the time part of the Roman Empire of Constantinople. The inhabitants were greek and celtic people.
You are right, in fact I didn't even think of cost before.

Owen Macri

Quartz
August 15th, 2005, 11:19 PM
As quickly as we have advanced, I rather we didn't build many Daedalus class ships right now. We should work on a ship that's easy to produce and has tremendous firepower. A la Star Trek's Defiant. Small, powerful ships that are (relatively) easy to reproduce with a minimal personnel risk. Besides, the fewer humans we risk to capture by the Wraith, the better off we are.

_Owen_
August 16th, 2005, 12:09 AM
I think we need very powerful, large ships. lol. While they will take longer to build, in the end they will have the advantage, with more space, there is potentially more room for technologies.

Owen Macri

Quartz
August 16th, 2005, 12:55 AM
And more room for error.

I'm advocating divergence. Spreading out the wealth and minimizing the risk of loss.

The larger, more poweful ships take time to build, so perhaps we should diversify while simultaneously working on consolidating our strengths. Imagine if we put all our efforts into one or two major ships and it (they) was (were) destroyed? Remember how we destroyed that massive ship Apophis was building? (Upgrades, Ep 403)

Too much emphasis one one endeavor could spell our doom.

I say diversify.

zer0_1
August 16th, 2005, 01:46 AM
the cruisers when built are in a very secure location deep underground, the general public dont know of their existenceso it would be hard pressed to see earths enemies find them

Quartz
August 16th, 2005, 01:57 AM
Our enemies would be most interested in our homeword. After all, we are the Tau'ri. If we were to have a shipyard, it would not be on Earth. And the alpha site is only a failsafe, a mere backup location. Think about it: would you risk exposure (or worse) by localizing your efforts? The best strategy is to diversify. No single target, no single emphasis. That way if we were compromised, we'd at least have a chance of surviving.

Ther's probably a gamma site out there...

nayo'nak
August 17th, 2005, 09:52 AM
next things we need are a bomber ship alqesh style

and an extraction ship tel'tak whith asgard beams

i say each country should get one bc 303 whithout fighters so they can go get there own stuff for there own ships

Seastallion
August 21st, 2005, 04:35 PM

Zippy is a he... :p

I think it is cool that Earth is getting a third ship to add to the bunch. :) I know what folks are talking about with the tragedy thing (the greeks were a bit of a tragedy :rolleyes: ), but I think the names were chosen for the more positive aspects of the characters.

Prometheus gave man fire, thus giving man unprecedented control of his environment. The ship 'Prometheus' gave man his first interstellar capable craft to allow us to explore the stars without the limitations of the stargate.

Daedalus was a great inventor that gave man flight. The ship 'Daedalus' gave man intergalactic flight, allowing us other means to get to the Pegasus galaxy besides the stargate.

Odyssey (Or perhaps Odysseus?? I prefer that...) was a great hero, with great cunning and wit. Perhaps the 'Odysseus?' will allow Earth to operate with broader reach and greater flexibility.

In any case, the more ships the better. Earth will need them... I just hope they get better offensive weapons soon. Those missiles suck. Maybe they could equip the missiles with shields so they can actually reach their targets. That would be cool... yeah they can get shot at, but they keep on coming. :p

Gargen
August 21st, 2005, 04:54 PM
i think they should make a ship that treats 303's like 302's you know just something so massive it would be even bigger than an asgard ship

Auralis
August 21st, 2005, 05:23 PM
Now, Tolan phase shifting missiles would be pretty neat. To bad those guys are gone.

Col. Newman
August 21st, 2005, 06:36 PM
O yes the US will just coward in the face of the mighty international committee :rolleyes:

They aren't 'prometheus class' and 'deadlus class' They're all the same class, BC-303. the prometheus was but the prototype, and all ships after it are the production model BC-303, like the Deadlus.

no the promethius was the X-303 with a name,
the daedalus was the BC-303 - daedalus class.
The Part about Prometheus is correct, the part about Daedalus is assumed, I don’t think they have ever actually called it BC-303 in the show, though

enterprise has been done, and lost, check unnatural selection, jack wanted prom to be named that, and failed
a carrier based cruiser would be nice, perhaps the X-304? as for a name, athena is good, or my fave, thesius (sp?)A Carrier based Cruiser???
Ok let me make this clear the classes of ships are

Frigate
Destroyer
Light Cruiser
Heavy Cruiser
Battle Cruiser
Battle Ship

Mother Ship=Carrier (about the same size)

City (like Atlantis)

The Sony/MGM legal department when they get the cease and decist from the Viacom/Paramount legal department.that is the stupidest thing I ever heard, paramount doesn't have the name Enterprise copyrighted, lets thing there was the sailing vessel Enterprise, the Aircraft Carrier Enterprise, and the Space Shuttle Enterprise (Glider)

An international commite oversees the stargate program and they could force them to get naquada im sure other countries such as the uk and france while being major US allies wouldnt want one country to have access to alien cultures which they could stop giving them access to if US really wanted and advanced technolige.what are you smoking? Since when have the French been a Major ally to the US?

And the international committee could stop all funding to the stargate program.Tell their people about the stargate program and the fact the US goverment has nearly annhilated the world on several times and has weapons which threaten the status quo.And where was it stated or even implied that other countries were funding the Stargate program, if by status quo you mean the "balance of power" the US could wipe the rest of the world out, without alien tech, sure the Russians have a few nuclear subs left. Anyhow there would be no point to the US attacking other "major powers"

They don't have that kind of power.

Owen Macri

The f-302 can effectivly annhilate any other fighter on earth and in space can travel as fast as any ballistic missile and shhot them down the sheer fact they could discover weapons which could destroy enemy cities without any radiation and also build shields which they could place in secret around every major US city to protect it from aggresors ,get a ZPM power the outpost and effectivly annhilate every military on earth without threating themselves the list just goes on and on.And the russians managed to hide their stargate from the richest nation on earth for several months.Im also sure they would hide their bc-303s at least as effectivly as the US.And they have hundreds of miles devoid of humans to hid such a device.I believe he was saying the committee doesn't have that kind of power. Duh!!

Season 5, Summit. Where exactly do you think Hinduism began? And where do you think India is if not in Asia?
FYI India is in Asia you really need to look at a map :D

I am sure Russia which is the only country to have people constantly in space can afford spaceships even if it is only f-302s.
ROFLMAO, Russia can’t even afford to keeps its navy maintained, there ports are like a dozen Chernobyl’s just waiting to happen

I think we need very powerful, large ships. lol. While they will take longer to build, in the end they will have the advantage, with more space, there is potentially more room for technologies.

Owen Macrithat’s why I like you Owen

Also

There will be an Asgard (Can't remember his name though) on the Odyssey; he will be there to supervise the use of the Asgard weapons that the Asgard gave us

zer0_1
August 22nd, 2005, 05:05 AM
i think they should make a ship that treats 303's like 302's you know just something so massive it would be even bigger than an asgard ship

a carrier ship?
well something of that size will be difficult to create and difficult to hide (unless built offworld)

Col. Newman
August 22nd, 2005, 03:06 PM
Has everyone forgotten about the Ethon? I think thats actually the one that the Asgard will be on but im not sure

_Owen_
August 23rd, 2005, 12:54 AM
I believe he was saying the committee doesn't have that kind of power. Duh!!

Yes, I was saying that the comittee would not have that kind of power, (whoa that was freaky at least half an hour ago I could swear my computer clock said 3:52 or something, now it says 3:48. I am time traveling. Se you all yesterday!) (sorry about that I was just a little freaked out) (lol, sorry about that, I just felt it necesary to explain my off-topicisicim (my new word))(sorry about that I like to make new words)(sorry about that it is now 3:50 in the morning)(lol). (sorry)

City (like Atlantis)

I think cities may deserve their own clasifications, lol.

ROFLMAO, Russia can’t even afford to keeps its navy maintained, there ports are like a dozen Chernobyl’s just waiting to happen

Chernobyl wasn't that bad! A little nuclear radiation never killed anyone! lol.

that’s why I like you Owen

Aww, that makes me feel all warm inside... lets go buy some guns! lo, seriously though... guns are very cool.

There will be an Asgard (Can't remember his name though) on the Odyssey; he will be there to supervise the use of the Asgard weapons that the Asgard gave us

Oh yay! weaponized spoilers! Finally the Asgard have come to their senses! Giving advanced technology to people who will likley blow themselves up with it!

Owen Macri

nayo'nak
August 23rd, 2005, 09:54 AM
it would make more sense for the other countrys to have ships that can go and get naquada and trinium to build more ships uss may be big but eath would work better united

_Owen_
August 23rd, 2005, 10:03 AM
Well, we already have a few smaller ships and we can get lots of naquadah and trinium through the Stargate.

Owen Macri

Zekk
September 20th, 2005, 08:08 PM
i think it is a great idea, it could be cald the serberus be the size of galactica and have enugh fire power to make battlestar galactica look like a small handgun :o arent i a genius :D !!!!

theStormWeaver
September 20th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Why do people keep talkin' smack about Prommie? They keep saying it was "just an experimental ship" Like they would spend a bazillion dollars on something they werent even gonna use!? They were gonna use it all right. It was always part of the plan. Jeebus people.

um, Deadie is bigger than the galactica. If your trying to say that a ship the size of the galactica could let prommie board it like an F-302, than you need to go cold turkey cause whatever your on is messing you up.

HAL
September 21st, 2005, 03:24 AM
actrally there still is a status quo

the fact that before the americans gained the advanced tech they wouldve been destroyed themselfs if they went against the other countrys

combined might of the french and english could do alot of damage.

but i bet the americans do share the tech they gained and that we will see some ships from the other countrys

Zekk
September 21st, 2005, 06:04 AM
um, Deadie is bigger than the galactica. If your trying to say that a ship the size of the galactica could let prommie board it like an F-302, than you need to go cold turkey cause whatever your on is messing you up.
Im not on anything, I have an exact plan for the serberus if I was better at art and had the exact specifications for prommie and deadie I could get the Scale right. :cool:

Col. Newman
September 21st, 2005, 10:00 AM
[QUOTE=theStormWeaver]Why do people keep talkin' smack about Prommie? They keep saying it was "just an experimental ship" QUOTE]Because it is just an experimental ship they are not going to make anymore of them so just accept already. They will be making alot more of the Daedalus Class tho :D

theStormWeaver
September 21st, 2005, 12:42 PM
You messed up the closeing tag of your qoute.

I never said it was an official design or anything. But a bunch of people are saying that it was never intended to be used as a line of defense, which is wrong. These people are claiming that it was going to be put together, given a quick run, and then dropped off in Area 51 to rot. In the first eps with the prommie they called it Earth's newest line of defense.

Zekk
September 25th, 2005, 12:52 PM
I have an exact plan for the serberus if I was better at art and had the exact specifications for prommie and deadie I could get the Scale right. :cool:
Ok anybody who is iterested, I've posted a basic desciption of the serberus in the Earth Ships,past present,and future thread. Im still working on the 3d images (might take awhile :p )

macktheknife
September 26th, 2005, 02:52 AM
They need some big honking space guns.

Those piddly rail guns and slow as a turtle missiles just don't do the job.

ray245
September 26th, 2005, 03:16 AM
I think US should let other countries build ship in line with prometheus while they build ship in line with the daedauls...

zintradi
October 4th, 2005, 04:58 PM
I think in the real world IF ships like the Daedelus and Prometheus were built as rapidly and with as much advanced tech as they have, it would effectivly end terrorism and despotic regimes like North Korea and Iran...
Just think about it... we could use the little asgard beamer to grab the entire Iranian islamic ruling council, bring them up to the prom and read them the riot act and send them back. right where they were sitting. If they even tried to say what happened to them people would think they were mad men. At the same time we could beam all their military harware and suicide bombers into space Ala 'ex dues machina'
its interesting to think of the fun things you could do

SmallTimePerson
October 5th, 2005, 02:43 AM
I think US should let other countries build ship in line with prometheus while they build ship in line with the daedauls...
no, build ships for other countries, then sell them for a small porfit (say 100%), then use the money to build more ships of their own

dosed150
October 5th, 2005, 01:17 PM
a carrier ship?
well something of that size will be difficult to create and difficult to hide (unless built offworld)

but an asgard ship isnt actually that big

kirmit
October 5th, 2005, 01:48 PM
but an asgard ship isnt actually that big

R u kidding???? Asgard ships r huge at least 5 or 6 times bigger than any earth vessel and double the size of a ha'tak.

SmallTimePerson
October 6th, 2005, 12:34 AM
R u kidding???? Asgard ships r huge at least 5 or 6 times bigger than any earth vessel and double the size of a ha'tak.
not to meantion all that tech and weapons on them

Gate_traveler
October 7th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Im interested in some sort of explaination as to how they are pumping out ships so fast, i mean we dont even make naval vessels that fast, so that leads me to beleive that there at least has to be some multinational cooperation to produce the ships this fast.

On another note im sure that they are concentrating on making battle cruisers now because of the multi-roles they can accomidate and are of a moderate size. Ill almost bet they make all out warships and even carrier type ships and even light cruisers. in essence an actual space navy. ill bet that for now though the current class is the most practical and only having 3 ships is pretty pathetic in comparison to other space faring races.

As far as naming ships for all i care they could name em BFS 1 BFS 2 and so on. however i can accept the debates into the meaning of a name of a ship and i know that sailors from way back have attached the fate of a certain ship to a name. bascially im saying i have no stand on names of a ship as long as it has one.

and as us having the onyl ones im almost fairly certain that there is a multi national crew on each of the ships, and that the stargate program, while being mainly a US led program, operates independently of the actual military. im sure if there were a war they wouldnt use any of the ships for any sort of attack, possibly may use for humanitarian reasons but surely not for a military purpose. though i love the image in my head of oh theres some terrorists lets beam em up. id love to see the look on their faces. can almost make a mastercard comercial out of that.

developing earths space battle ships $2 trillion
hiding development from the general public $1.5 billion
installing asguard tech 1 asguard onboard
to observe
the look on terrorists faces when beamed aboard said battle ship ....................... :eek: priceless!

Col. Newman
October 7th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Im interested in some sort of explaination as to how they are pumping out ships so fast, i mean we dont even make naval vessels that fast, so that leads me to beleive that there at least has to be some multinational cooperation to produce the ships this fast.

On another note im sure that they are concentrating on making battle cruisers now because of the multi-roles they can accomidate and are of a moderate size. Ill almost bet they make all out warships and even carrier type ships and even light cruisers. in essence an actual space navy. ill bet that for now though the current class is the most practical and only having 3 ships is pretty pathetic in comparison to other space faring races.

As far as naming ships for all i care they could name em BFS 1 BFS 2 and so on. however i can accept the debates into the meaning of a name of a ship and i know that sailors from way back have attached the fate of a certain ship to a name. bascially im saying i have no stand on names of a ship as long as it has one.

and as us having the onyl ones im almost fairly certain that there is a multi national crew on each of the ships, and that the stargate program, while being mainly a US led program, operates independently of the actual military. im sure if there were a war they wouldnt use any of the ships for any sort of attack, possibly may use for humanitarian reasons but surely not for a military purpose. though i love the image in my head of oh theres some terrorists lets beam em up. id love to see the look on their faces. can almost make a mastercard comercial out of that.

developing earths space battle ships $2 trillion
hiding development from the general public $1.5 billion
installing asguard tech 1 asguard onboard
to observe
the look on terrorists faces when beamed aboard said battle ship ....................... :eek: priceless!Asgard probably have given us the tech they use to build their ships

zer0_1
October 7th, 2005, 02:27 PM

hes right, build a ship the size of an asgard ship and you got a mothership right there

can be used to carry BC-303s over great distances (galactic wise)

i would like to see variations of ships made, see what turns up

SmallTimePerson
October 7th, 2005, 08:39 PM
hes right, build a ship the size of an asgard ship and you got a mothership right there

can be used to carry BC-303s over great distances (galactic wise)

i would like to see variations of ships made, see what turns up
i think cargo/people frieghters would be made next

knowsfords
October 7th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Yes exactly, a tauri replica of the puddle jumper would be awesome to fit that role. However it would have to look like an industrialised version of the puddle jumper, sort of like how they reverse engineered the death glider to make the X-302 which made it into production as the F-302

SmallTimePerson
October 7th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Yes exactly, a tauri replica of the puddle jumper would be awesome to fit that role. However it would have to look like an industrialised version of the puddle jumper, sort of like how they reverse engineered the death glider to make the X-302 which made it into production as the F-302
the only problem i can see is how they can replicate the technology in the PJ, maybe the asgard would help
BTW the tauri replica of the PJ would have to be named PJ-301, to give it the Shep effect :)

knowsfords
October 7th, 2005, 11:50 PM
the only problem i can see is how they can replicate the technology in the PJ, maybe the asgard would help
BTW the tauri replica of the PJ would have to be named PJ-301, to give it the Shep effect :)

I don't think it should be too hard, I mean they've had a good year plus of playing with the puddle jumpers so they know how they tick.

Thats why they call it backwards engineering, you start with the end product... study it and then replicate the ideas with your own technology.

SmallTimePerson
October 7th, 2005, 11:52 PM
I don't think it should be too hard, I mean they've had a good year plus of playing with the puddle jumpers so they know how they tick.

Thats why they call it backwards engineering, you start with the end product... study it and then replicate the ideas with your own technology.
its reverse engineering
and we can't replicate the ancient stuff with our own technology, just like we cant back up the ancient database onto our harddrives

knowsfords
October 8th, 2005, 12:12 AM
its reverse engineering

Heh it really depends on what part of the world your from and which version you heard first but ultimately they're the same thing :p

and we can't replicate the ancient stuff with our own technology

Not the squids or even the nervous system/computer interface but we can borrow ideas here and there just like the F-302's.

We could easily replicate the design of the hull (including engine pods), we could use our own control systems and inertial dampners (a complicated alien technology we were able to recreate thanks to the X-302 program), we could use a smart missile system mounted in the pods as well as some miniture ion drive engines (I'm pretty sure the daedulas has ion drive for sublight).

As for the cloak, that'd be harder to achieve a viable replica but not exactly impossible, and it actually suprises me that they haven't analysed the frequency/s that the puddle jumper emits when it dials the gate

SmallTimePerson
October 8th, 2005, 01:29 AM
Not the squids or even the nervous system/computer interface but we can borrow ideas here and there just like the F-302's.

We could easily replicate the design of the hull (including engine pods), we could use our own control systems and inertial dampners (a complicated alien technology we were able to recreate thanks to the X-302 program), we could use a smart missile system mounted in the pods as well as some miniture ion drive engines (I'm pretty sure the daedulas has ion drive for sublight).

sure we can get ideas rom them. The hull and the drive pods, sure.
but things like the DHD, drones and cloakng i think are a bit beyond us (partially excepting the claok, liquid crystals).

Col. Newman
October 8th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Heh it really depends on what part of the world your from and which version you heard first but ultimately they're the same thing :p

As for the cloak, that'd be harder to achieve a viable replica but not exactly impossible, and it actually suprises me that they haven't analysed the frequency/s that the puddle jumper emits when it dials the gate
The cloak wouldn't be that hard, the Goa'uld have cloaking tech, It wouldn't be anywhere near as good as the Ancients cloaking tech but it would be ok in most situations

Zekk
October 9th, 2005, 10:21 AM
A DHD aint that complicated with an Alterran blue print Im sure Carter,Mckay and the other Egg heads could figure it out. all they have to do is figure Atlantis out.....(Itll be awile :p)

Macilnar
October 18th, 2005, 12:14 PM
A DHD aint that complicated with an Alterran blue print Im sure Carter,Mckay and the other Egg heads could figure it out. all they have to do is figure Atlantis out.....(Itll be awile :p)
That along with the fact that O'Neill drew DHD blueprints in the episode "The Fifth Race" not to mention we already made a dialing computer. So Building a DHD should not be beyond the SGC's capability.

Milleniumlance
October 18th, 2005, 07:11 PM
newbie, to the board...like someone said earlier smaller faster harder hitting ships is the way to go...the lucian alliance is out there with their fleet of alkesh 50-90 meter gunboat are a good way to go...

plaw15
October 18th, 2005, 09:39 PM
I wonder which year this would appear in.

Ascended Times.2
October 19th, 2005, 03:08 AM
Can someone give me a re-cap of any extra technologys the Odyssey is supposed to have as opposed to the Daedalus???

Milleniumlance
October 19th, 2005, 06:20 AM
Im just guessing, but it will have offensive main railgun like the experimental one on Prometheus.[a bowling ball size round moving at mach 5 hits like a mini-nuke] and maybe a larger fighter capacity considering the wraith threat.

Macilnar
October 19th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Im just guessing, but it will have offensive main railgun like the experimental one on Prometheus.[a bowling ball size round moving at mach 5 hits like a mini-nuke] and maybe a larger fighter capacity considering the wraith threat.
That Main RailGun sounds similar to the MAC Gun from the Halo Universe...only the Super MAC Guns fire 3,000 ton Super-dense ferric tungsten shells at Point Four-tenths the speed of light…that has got to hurt.

tony
October 19th, 2005, 12:03 PM
that accually sounds really bad *ss LOL.. that would pack a mean punch for any enemy! regardless of it being solid ordinents and not an energy weapon of some kind.

Macilnar
October 19th, 2005, 12:35 PM
that accually sounds really bad *ss LOL.. that would pack a mean punch for any enemy! regardless of it being solid ordinents and not an energy weapon of some kind.
I'll say. The tungsten shell, when fired, has a Kinetic energy of 1.68516596×10^24 joules

general ben
October 19th, 2005, 01:49 PM
I'll say. The tungsten shell, when fired, has a Kinetic energy of 1.68516596×10^24 joules
maybe thats why we don't have an energy weapon yet cause our kinetic energy weapons are more effective than what we have gotten from the energy weapons for now at least. does anyone know how much energy a gouald mothership has with one fire of their main cannon.

Macilnar
October 19th, 2005, 01:54 PM
maybe thats why we don't have an energy weapon yet cause our kinetic energy weapons are more effective than what we have gotten from the energy weapons for now at least. does anyone know how much energy a gouald mothership has with one fire of their main cannon.
That was the Kinetic energy for the Super MAC Guns from Halo. Not the Main RailGun from Stargate.

general ben
October 19th, 2005, 01:56 PM
That was the Kinetic energy for the Super MAC Guns from Halo. Not the Main RailGun from Stargate.
oops my bad i thought u meant there was gonna be new rail guns for the BC-303 and it was gonna be a bigger rail gun

Macilnar
October 19th, 2005, 02:20 PM
I wish Stargate would use MAC Guns for the defense of Earth at the vary lest, I mean it is not like they don't have the technology to do so. In Halo2 300 Super MAC Guns make up Earth's Space defense system.

theStormWeaver
October 19th, 2005, 08:21 PM
I think the more "advanced" races just use energy weapons because they are more efficient. More simply put, you don't need to carry shiza loads of ammunition in you cargo holds, and you don't need to reload!! As long as the reactor holds out, your good for go.

But it seems that our Kinetic weapons are far more effective at busting enemy ships, especially rep' ships. But that don't matter anymore, unless the Orii start useing rep style ships.

Macilnar
October 19th, 2005, 08:53 PM
If Stargate used the MAC Guns from Halo there would be no need to carry lots of ammo. 2-3 rounds at most would be needed to take down almost any ship...save one with Ancient Energy Shields.