This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intergalactic Communications

We now know how the Ancients and Ori did it. Can the Asgard communicate across galaxies faster than their ships can fly? They were out of touch for awhile there, so I think not. And if they could, wouldn't they have brought a couple along on Daedalus, one for Atlantis?

It seems a curious omission on one level or another.

I dont think the asgard can
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

I don't think the Asgard can. A component of the Ancient communication device was mental and so far we haven't seen any other type of communication devices with that kind of range nor have we seen the Asgard use mental componenets with their technology so I think it's safe to say they don't, otherwise they would likely have used them already.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I am sorry, to be a pain in the rear end, by if you start a thread that has to do with something of season nine of SG-1 or season two of Atlantis, would you mind just adding a little note in the thread title, because a lot of people haven't seen the seasons. I know there aren't any spoilers in this thread yet, but still, just to be on the safe side.

Well, now on the topic of the thread. I have no idea what you are talking about because I have not seen the episodes yet. But I think the Asgard can communicate faster than their ships can travel, the Tollan had the technology and knowledge to build a Stargate, so logically the Asgard should too. So then the Asgard could send there signals through a wormhole or subspace, and it would likley be faster than their ships can travel, I believe we have observed, Faster Than Light communication by the Asgard before, I just can't think specifically of any situations.

Owen Macri

Comment

When you see the ep you will see what he means - its not to do with a wormhole or someother portal but it could be to do with subspace
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

AWWW, I can't wait now!

lol.

Owen Macri

Comment

the azgard used faster than light comunications in the episode unnatural selection oneill was talking to hammon when thors ship was in hyperspace traveling to ida
              "only two things are infinate the universe and human stupidity and im not sure about the universe"

-albert einstein

Comment

Originally posted by harcohen
                We now know how the Ancients and Ori did it. Can the Asgard communicate across galaxies faster than their ships can fly? They were out of touch for awhile there, so I think not. And if they could, wouldn't they have brought a couple along on Daedalus, one for Atlantis?

It seems a curious omission on one level or another.
                They were out of touch for a while, because as Thor has explained, the black hole they were building to trap the replicators was interfering with his long-range communication.

The so-called "mental" is not fundamentally different. It's the information that needs to be transferred, one way or another. If you can do it "mentally," you sure can do it "non-mentally." Doing it mentally is so much more difficult than a two-way radio.
                "Thermodynamics is the only physical theory of universal content which, within the framework of the applicability of its basic concepts, I am convinced will never be overthrown." — Albert Einstein

Comment

I don't know if this is faster than light communication, but in the episode "Red Sky" O'Neill was talking to the Asgard High Council in a matter of seconds, after stepping onto the communication terminal, also in the episode "Fair Game" Thor appeared to use a mental component, when he beamed back aboard his ship, after giving Hammond, and Sg-1, information about the Goa'uld, I didn't see him press any buttons, or use a crystal, but I suppose he could have set a timer for the beaming technology.

Comment

Originally posted by lethalfang
                    The so-called "mental" is not fundamentally different. It's the information that needs to be transferred, one way or another. If you can do it "mentally," you sure can do it "non-mentally." Doing it mentally is so much more difficult than a two-way radio.
                    That would be true if we knew anything at all about the way ancient technology really works or the way they understood the universe or the human mind. It's not outside the realm of possibilty that the human mind has a greater ability to stretch across the vastness of space and connect to another mind than technology alone can accomplish and it certainly adds greater dimension to the communication, being able to see through someone else's eyes.
                    We already know that the Wraith have mental connections that can be felt across space. If you could enhance and extend that ability and make a specific connection, then the basis of that tech would be the mind's ability with the technology filling in the blanks so in that way, it's far more efficient and complete if not easier than a mere two way radio.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Yes, allthough I still don't know what happend, gallywag has a point. The Asgard have used RFTL communication before. (RFTL stands for Relativley Faster Than Light, seeing as nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, but there are ways around this, however you are only traveling faster than light, relative to our universe.)

Owen Macri

Comment

It's fully faster than light. You're either faster than light or you're not, there's no relatively about it. Regardless of what speed you're going light is always 1c faster.
                        Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                          however you are only traveling faster than light, relative to our universe.)

Owen Macri
                          Relative to our universe? So where are they? Outside the universe? You mean relative to a fixed point in spacetime outwith the distorted region of spacetime created by either a fictional star trek warp drive or a wormhole. Be careful you don't confuse the two. You should read Einstein's full theory of relativity. You can get copies of it for a few quid.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

No, seeing as subspace and hyperspace are (in my theory) smaller than normall space yet stretched to fit, what I would call, a "universal template" the ships that eneter hyper space can travel at sublight speeds, yet where they crossing the same distance in the same amount of time in normal space they would need to travel faster than light.

Owen Macri

Comment

the jumpers have subspace coms and the asgard got into the acients knowlegde "head graber thingie" so they should have it to

Comment

Working...
                              X