Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I demand more sci-fi shows based on movies!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I demand more sci-fi shows based on movies!

Without the brilliant idea of bringing (in most cases) relatively mundane sub-par movies into series. All you have to do is have the same ideas and/or characters. Just look what other sci-fi shows were based on movies with no intention have there ever being a series:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992)----BtVS(1997)-----(spin-off) Angel
    Stargate (1994)----Stargate Sg-1 (1997)------(spin-off) Atlantis
    Highlander (1986)-----Highlander (1992)------i dont wanna mention the crappy spin-off

So, we got 5 pretty good, longlasting series based on movies that were never intended to be ressurected in a series. It is proven that this is worked well in the past....i say that producers should do this again!

I believe that Lucas is doing just that with his new star wars based tv show.

I´m not sure what other movie would translate to a tv series, most movies have the nasty habit of ending things in a way hard to write anything more about it.

Comment

Spin offs are notoriously bad. The Stargate franchise being an obvious exception, of course.

Comment

i think with some shows, a tv series can work while with others it can't, and although everyone could a few movies they like as tv shows, chances are they won't become hits like stargate, buffy and highlander.

Total Recall: IMO was a very good scifi movie, but when the tv series was done of it, it sucked big time and was more of a Blade Runner series.

Robocop: a movie i love, but as a tv series it was bad, even the mini series which tried to tried to be more like the movies was just as bad.

Mortal Kombat: good movie, but the series wasn't as good. it had its moments but the series was basically same in every episode

The Crow: great idea for a movie but as a tv series, didn't work. i love the original crow movie, and am fans of the entire series of movies but it didn't work as a tv show. (this show even starred Katie Stuart, the original Cassandra).

i think that there are movies out there which could be turned into good shows, but like video game to movie transitions, movie to tv show transitions rarely work as well as fans would hope

sigpic

Comment

movies that could have become tv series:

1. matrix: although im not too sure the last film was lets just say confusing and did't leave much to write upon, i do say this as the animatrix was pretty good and some of those could have been a spin off or most of them with characters in that then to a series.

2. minority report: that could or still could become a great sci fi dram or sci fi crime thriller, even though the means to prevent crime was eventually abolished a new way to stop crime may come to light and another conspiricy could take the series straight from the film to our screens, i wouln't mind a series based upon this as i think done well may be a great sci fi crime thriller series each week.

3. Underworld: possibly be a nice fantasy sci fi series but probaly its best not to tone down the violence in it as it will end up buffyesc.

movies i dont think a series should ever be done:

ohh where do i start i will add my top 5 for a certain flop.

jurrassic park that will never become a series and if it did it would be a crime.

i cant think right now im soo tired but i will come back later and put some more down, i hope i got the ball rolling.
          For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

I wana see a bill and ted series, I loved those films, ofcourse it wuld be different ppl playing bill and ted but I culd get used to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks
              Spin offs are notoriously bad. The Stargate franchise being an obvious exception, of course.
              Personaly I think Angel is a MUCH better show than Buffy was.
              Music Videos from various fandoms

Comment

Originally posted by Vala
                Personaly I think Angel is a MUCH better show than Buffy was.
                I liked them both but Angel was more creative
                gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by walter_MacChevron
                  Without the brilliant idea of bringing (in most cases) relatively mundane sub-par movies into series. All you have to do is have the same ideas and/or characters. Just look what other sci-fi shows were based on movies with no intention have there ever being a series:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992)----BtVS(1997)-----(spin-off) Angel
                  Stargate (1994)----Stargate Sg-1 (1997)------(spin-off) Atlantis
                  Highlander (1986)-----Highlander (1992)------i dont wanna mention the crappy spin-off

So, we got 5 pretty good, longlasting series based on movies that were never intended to be ressurected in a series. It is proven that this is worked well in the past....i say that producers should do this again!

hey you forget the show they did for The Crow it wasnt that bad
                  My Blog - - Raise The Fist

Comment

Depending on when it was set, a Dune series might work.

V had a series that was horrible, but it would be nice to see that franchise try again.

A Men in Black series might work.

A Lord of the Rings series set after the events of The Return of the King would be intereseting. We would get to see how the races continue to evolve, struggle, and unite.
                    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Lord of the Rings: will never happen while it's still in copyright. The only reason that the trilogy was filmed was because Tolkien sold the film rights in the 1960s to pay a tax bill.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit
                        I wana see a bill and ted series, I loved those films, ofcourse it wuld be different ppl playing bill and ted but I culd get used to them.
                        Your a little late. It came and went years ago. There was both a live action version and an animated version. Oddly enough they were on diffrent networks.

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                          I liked them both but Angel was more creative
                          I like them both as well, but there is something about Buffy (the character) that annoyes me.
                          Music Videos from various fandoms

Comment

Working...
                          X