This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don Smith and Michael Shanks question

I am a big fan of everything Stargate, but I don't know why Don Smith left the show as General Hammond and how it was addressed in the show.

Also, why did Michael Shanks leave the show?

Thanks

The Webgodfather

If you are reading Don, you were great and missed to this day.
    The WebGodFather

Hallowed is the Homer
    All will bow to the "DOH"

The actor's name is Don S Davis and I believe he just wanted to move on.

It was addressed in the show in the following way (spoilers:highlight to read) At the beginning of season 8, he is promoted to head of the newly created homeworld security department. He is in a couple of season 8 episodes. Pre-season 9 speculation implies that he has retired from that position a year later. I don't think it has been explicitly stated so far though)

Michael Shanks left for Season 6 because he did not believe his character was getting enough creative development.
    always and forever
    My LJ http://historianheidi.livejournal.com
    My History Website http:thehistorian.net

Comment

Originally posted by scjon
      The actor's name is Don S Davis and I believe he just wanted to move on.

It was addressed in the show in the following way (spoilers:highlight to read) At the beginning of season 8, he is promoted to head of the newly created homeworld security department. He is in a couple of season 8 episodes. Pre-season 9 speculation implies that he has retired from that position a year later. I don't think it has been explicitly stated so far though)

Michael Shanks left for Season 6 because he did not believe his character was getting enough creative development.
      don't I feel like a dork.. I was typing while thinking of someone else. (thus the name error..) My apologies to Don S Davis.

Do you know what made he come back.. I am so glad he did.
      The WebGodFather

Hallowed is the Homer
      All will bow to the "DOH"

Comment

He came back because at the time s7 was being proposed he and the writers were in more agreement over what the point of the Daniel character was than they had been during s5 when the decision to leave was made. There's more to it than that, of course. Theories abound. Various PTBs and Michael himself have all given replies to that question which are subtly different, although none of them actually contradict any of the others.

But the one thing that seems to be a constant in all of the replies is that Michael wanted to come back and TPTB wanted him back, so back he came.

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
        X