Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anti-Vala thread - For complaints about the character ONLY!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maxum
    I love Vala.

I can understand why some people feel that for now SG-1 it's a little bit of the Daniel/Vala show, but I'm sure that will all change once Carter returns and Vala exits (unfortunately). Personally, I LOVE the interaction between Daniel and Varla. She brings out a side of him that I have not seen EVER in Daniel Jackson. Usually, he's polite, diplomatic, tries to see the good in everyone, is forgiving, but boy oh boy, does she push his buttons. I really enjoy the banter between them, and although there are posters who seem to hate any kind of romance or shipping in Stargate (it's not a monastery, people), I would like to see something develop between these two, even if it's only one scene.

Right now, with RDA gone from the show, and with Amanda Tapping on temporary leave, it falls to the remaining cast members to pick up the slack. I've read on numerous sites and in interviews that both Chris Judge and Ben Browder don't like to have too much dialogue on-screen (they seem to like action scenes better), then ultimately, it will fall to Michael Shanks aka Daniel Jackson as well as newcomer (albeit temporarily), Claudia Black to fill up the scenes.

I'm going to miss her.

I don't think CJ and BB would actually say, please writers, don't give my character too much to say or do!! I really doubt CJ would say, wallpaper me for the first four episodes! Mitchell and Teal'c have, up to this point, been supporting characters. I think we definitely will see Mitchell and Teal'c in future episodes with more to do, but it seems like forever to me.

I'm glad you like Daniel/Vala, but for many of us seeing them front and center for four episodes is just way way way too much! I am bored with it, and the people I watch with are falling asleep---this is very rare. I don't mind that they have a key storyline in the first five episodes, but these two characters have dominated the first four, and it looks like maybe episode five. It is fun to see Daniel react, but to have it literally dominate the show is just too much. I would not continue to watch the show (as much as I think CB is so talented), if it continued in this vein. But it isn't, so ...

But most importantly, I do want Vala to return, but only as a recurring character. She'll be much more effective that way than as a regular on SG1. She isn't a team player and she shouldn't be because that is not her character.

Comment

I don't get all the hype about Vala. I know most think she's funny but I think she's unfunny. She's annoying and I hate that she's become Daniel's "buddy." Comparing her to Jack is like apples and oranges. Jack was a more serious character when SG-1 first began with a few sarcastic lines. Vala just overwhelms you with it. I'd love to see her GO!

Comment

I like Vala. I like people who are very outgoing and always speaks their mind. I hang out with such people in real life and love seeing them in TV. Especially when the show they are on is my favorite one.
        http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
        http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

How can a true Stargate fan even consider taking her character serious. She is as lame as she was on Farscape. Get rid of her already! This last show was one of the worst ever...are they trying to kill Stargate?

Comment

Originally posted by Furling God
            No kidding, at last a woman character with a life, an actress with a presence and great dialogues. Let's get Carter stuck in some desertic marsh planet, where she will "carry on test" hectically every day and night on every stone, and kill every caterpillar frantically with newly invented deadly alien weapons of hers.

Well...there'd be a lot of Carter fans stuck on that deserted marsh planet with her...I for one like technobabble and that laptop she's always carrying around.

Farscape fan?
            TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

I think the problem with her character is lack of depth. TPTB have missed many opportunities to add depth. Just when it seems they might, they ruin it with a joke. Since she's only going to be around for a couple of more episodes I guess that's OK but it would have been nice to get to know more about why she is the way she is. All that screen time (more lines already than Tealc had the first 4 seasons) and we know very little about what makes her tick.

Comment

Vala? Oh yeah! You mean Aeryn on the dentist's happy gas with pig tails? Or Aeryn-lite if you prefer. Don't like her, but I don't want her dead- she's already escaped death twice this season. If they kill her off, they'll probably decide to bring her back anyway and that would already be worse. In the last episode,they had a chance to make her character seem more well-rounded and at least make you feel some sympathy for the character, but they turned everything into a joke (and a bad one at that). When I heard CB was going to be in a few episodes this season, I was actually kind of happy about it. I didn't really like her in Prometheus Unbound, but I figured they might develop her character some. But all her episodes right in a row is too much.
                Last edited by NightGloom; 07 August 2005, 07:48 PM.
                Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
                RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

I like Vala she is the the type of character that stands out for good or bad. I think she would make a good recurring character. A good contact for the SGC to have if they need something or some information that they could not get through normal channels. It would be good to use her info on the darker side of how things are done to help the SGC gain information and contacts with other races and cultures that the SGC may not know or come into contact with. I think she does have depth and while those times when it shows may be few and far between they add more complexity to her behaviour when you take it as a whole. The strong emotions on all sides are good and while a lot of people don't like she is different and brings something that we have not seen in SG-1 or Atlantis from a recurring character. She is self serving, speaks her mind, manipulative but also has a hidden side. I can understand the hate but I think that they should use her knowledge by using her as a contact for the underworld. I think that would challenge her and allow her to change and grow while still keeping what makes her Vala.

Comment

I've said it before; I'll say it again. It actually causes me pain to watch Claudia Black play this character. Where once she embodied a strong, competent female who never needed to manipulate men in the way women have been accused of doing for millennia, she is suddenly an amoral, immature woman-child who flounces her way through people's lives. If she turns into a decent character, it will only be because she's been "saved" by the influence of a "good man," a wicked Jezebel rehabilitated by the virtuous Daniel, a scifi take on the "hooker with a heart of gold" cliche.

That said, I've already taken the step necessary to make it go away for me: I've stopped watching "SG1." "Atlantis" and "BSG" are the only things left on my Friday night viewing schedule. So while I sympathize with people who start these threads, I also don't. Changing the channel is very easy. Trust me. All it takes is the push of a button.
                    Last edited by PsychoPenguin; 07 August 2005, 09:28 PM.
                    "Just smile and wave, boys...Just smile and wave."

Comment

It's surprising to me that someone who liked Claudia Black in Farscape would not see the golden opportunity that she has with Vala. She finally gets to act like Rygel but with sex appeal!!

Also, the last episode completly shows that Vala is going to be perfect for her intended purpose...to be a recurring character that opens up new storylines...not a main character, but instead she'll be like Carter's Dad, or Braytak, or the Tokkra, or any other character that makes appearances every once in awhile but is also occupied with more than Earth's priority list.

Also, goddamm!!!! she was hot in the red lingerie!!!

Comment

Vala can be a pain, but I believe she would make a great 5th memeber of SG-1.

Think about it: Daniel the Archeologist and Historian, Samantha the Brains, Vala the one that has been around the Galaxy a few times, Teal'c the Warrior and wannabe politician. All these folks being refereed by the new commander of SG-1. The writers could have a field day with the stories they could come up with.

Comment

Vala----
                          Over the top....Yes
                          Annoying ....Yes
                          To much sexual innuendo....Yes
                          Putting her in mortal danger to much....Yes
                          To many cheesy lines....Yes

Great character....Yes
                          Great outfits....Yes
                          Great chemistry with Daniel....Yes
                          Great Actress....Yes

The show is different with her, I think by emphasizing her so much early tells me she won't be around to much longer. I miss Carter and O'Neill, Teal'c is non-exsistant this season so far and Daniel is simply marvelous. The other newbies (Mitchell & Landry) are adequate.
                          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                          Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Crichton
                            It's surprising to me that someone who liked Claudia Black in Farscape would not see the golden opportunity that she has with Vala. She finally gets to act like Rygel but with sex appeal!!

Also, goddamm!!!! she was hot in the red lingerie!!!
                            Yeah, you're not exactly invalidating my point there, "Crichton." Apparently, you and I admired Aeryn for completely different reasons.

And suddenly I'm wondering whether she was truly the eye-opening, trail-blazing scifi character I'd hoped she'd be...*sigh.*
                            "Just smile and wave, boys...Just smile and wave."

Comment

Originally posted by Ziu
                              Vala can be a pain, but I believe she would make a great 5th memeber of SG-1.
                              They will never have a 5 man team because people will complain that they didnt do it with Jonas
                              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                              love Torri

Comment

I've enjoyed watching Vala (which was a total surprise to me as from spoilers I'd begun to thoroughly dislike her ) and I love the relationship between her and Daniel. Which, I have to say, I don't see as ship but something a lot more complicated, although there's an obvious attraction there.

I do miss Sam though. And although I really enjoyed TTTB, it didn't seem a whole lot like Stargate to me and I don't think S9 will until Sam returns and Vala leaves. Although that's less to do with Vala, I think, than that for the moment SG1 has been...well, Daniel. So maybe I need Sam back and Teal'c more in evidence before it's becomes Stargate for me again. (Which isn't, as I say, to say that I haven't been enjoying the episodes so far).

My preference would be for her to leave alive and perhaps return at some future point. In S10 maybe if there is one. But perhaps not for the rest of S9.

Albion
                                Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Working...
                                X