• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
    Chronicling Mitchell:

901 – Avalon, Pt I

Intangibles:

Has respect and awe for SGC and SG-1: the way he touches the Stargate when he first sees it; his orders to protect SG-1 at all costs during battle

A little self-doubt at being suddenly put in charge of a team that doesn’t have the best players on it: from his conversation with Sam: “What if the world needs saving ‘cos I screwed up ‘cos you weren't here in the first place?”

Some type of earlier relationship with Sam Carter.

Some people see a physical likeness between Mitchell and Daniel Jackson: Vala: “…I know nothing about your fair planet, other than it seems to have a rather interesting, if somewhat limited, gene pool.”

Is enthusiastic when working with Jackson and Teal’c.

Leadership skills: Keeping the team focused: Aboard Prometheus: “Alright! Excuse me kids.”
    In the caves: “Don't make me separate you two.” [Of course, these could also be frustration at the bickering of Vala and Daniel.]

Wry sense of humor: To Teal’c, who doesn’t respond to Mitchell’s joke: “Maybe it's just me, but I'm digging this rapport we've got going between the two of us.”
    In Avalon, Part 1, Landry says to Mitchell :"All pilots have type A personalities". If Landry is right, we can assume that Mitchell is probably someone of impulsive, impatient, inquiring and demanding (with himself and the others).
    I remember dimly my psychology lessons, so if someone know more about this type of personalities...
    "We will do as I say" Bra'tac

Comment

Originally posted by Hurley
      In Avalon, Part 1, Landry says to Mitchell :"All pilots have type A personalities". If Landry is right, we can assume that Mitchell is probably someone of impulsive, impatient, inquiring and demanding (with himself and the others).
      I remember dimly my psychology lessons, so if someone know more about this type of personalities...
      Hmmm, interesting point Hurley:

From http://nj.essortment.com/typeapersonali_rgcc.htm

Type A folks have major issues around three key areas: time, money and dirt.

Type A’s and Issues surrounding time.

Type A people have limitless problems with time. Type A’s need to be on time, they need to avoid running out of time, they need to have a watch or clock handy so they can measure time, they invest time, measure the value of time spent and time left available. These folks have issues with deadlines, as they are restricting, yet they feel they must have them and they must be met. Time is a tool for measuring and a means of limiting, confining and defining. As such, time is important to someone who has always had to meet standards and deadlines for acceptance.

In regards to Mitchell, I don't see him having a problem here. He seems to be incredibly patient, hanging on waiting for the team he wants to reform. Although, he was badgering Daniel to make it official in TTTB!

Issues with money.

Type A people have esteem issues, as they don’t base their value on solid ground but rather on meeting standards. As such, rather than by their inherent value as people, they value themselves and what they do by money. What’s it worth, what did it cost, how much do they earn, have and spend? They spend or give money as a way of showing love or affection. It is their empowerment and security. In relationships there is a medium of exchange and of acceptance with others and it is money.
      Wow, Mitchell definitely seems to fit the opening sentence here. A slight lack of self-esteem in his phone call to Carter...wondering how he'd do and not wanting to mess things up. Didn't last long though...just a momentary reaction I feel, acknowledging his being thrust into leading the team although inexperienced of gate travel etc.

Issues with dirt.

As the type A individual is perfectionist and of low self esteem they don’t want to have any association with dirt. Getting dirty makes them feel cheap and worthless. They need neat surroundings.
      Well, I wouldn't think he'd have any problem getting down and dirty...but it looks like he's a bit of a perfectionist and a little hard on himself.

Remission.

Something like remission or over compensation can occur in which the type A personality may swing to the extreme opposite to cope. They may give away money to show they can, get dirty or do dirty jobs to confront their fears and may throw caution about time to the wind to set themselves free. Still you can see that they still are tied heavily to these issues.
      Emotions.

Type A personalities may deny emotion or not know they have any. They may feel guilty for having or showing emotions as this would take them away from the source of real value for them which is to meet standards like a perfectly performing machine.
      Well, Mitchell certainly showed his feelings on the quiet in his reaction to finding out the team was disbanded and he made his concern for Daniel and Vala very clear...so no problems there. He did feel guilty displaying some self-doubt to Sam though, asking that they forget he ever said anything.

Overall though, I should imagine that like most people Mitchell would display some of each personality type, rather than rigidly falling into one or the other. I should think that Leaders of any kind have more of the type A general personality traits:
      Type A personalities are work-aholics, always busy, driven, somewhat impatient, and so on. Type B personalities, on the other hand are laid back and easy going. "Type A personality" has found its way into general parlance.
      Mitchell did tell Landry that sometimes he could be a little impatient! LOL!
      Last edited by Kas; 11 August 2005, 11:15 AM.

Comment

work-aholics? Yeah, I think Mitchell is definitely a hard worker. The guy has probably read all the SGC files (several hours, days, weeks or perhaps months of reading!!)
        "We will do as I say" Bra'tac

Comment

Genral Landry seems to me to have the Type A personality instead Cam.

Comment

Hmmm, I don't know about all that criteria, Kas, some of it seems extreme. Like not wanting to get dirty and wanting money to show their value. Maybe that's the definition, but then very few people would meet the criteria and I think of many people as being Type A. I don't think it's that exclusive a club.

I tend to go with the more-relaxed definition you gave:
            Type A personalities are work-aholics, always busy, driven, somewhat impatient, and so on. Type B personalities, on the other hand are laid back and easy going. "Type A personality" has found its way into general parlance.
            All the other stuff may be correct in psychology books, but in everday usage, I think this simpler definition is what people mean when they use the term. And I can see Mitchell as being like that.

As for him reading all the files, it just struck me... I'm sure you've all heard that Ben Browder had a marathon and watched every episode of Stargate after they hired him? [Previously, he had watched some episodes, mostly with his son, but he wanted to make sure that he saw them all before filming.] I wonder if they put in the part about Mitchell reading the files because of that? Cool. Or coincidence? But cool either way.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
              Genral Landry seems to me to have the Type A personality instead Cam.
              Why do you think that, greytop? I think Landry probably is Type A, definitely with the more relaxed definition I mentioned above, but why do you think Landry instead of Cam?

Comment

As for him reading all the files, it just struck me... I'm sure you've all heard that Ben Browder had a marathon and watched every episode of Stargate after they hired him? (Previously, he had watched some episodes, mostly with his son, but he wanted to make sure that he saw them all before filming.)
                I had read that in an interview somewhere he had watch all the shows.
                I wonder if they put in the part about Mitchell reading the files because of that? Cool. Or coincidence? But cool either way.
                I agree ChillinTheMost. I think believe what he said about barber Joe was also what he thought of the guy.

I changed you brackets to () so I could split you quote, Chillin. (Only in my quote, that is.) It is still brackets in the original.
                Last edited by greytop; 11 August 2005, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Why do you think that, greytop? I think Landry probably is Type A, definitely with the more relaxed definition I mentioned above, but why do you think Landry instead of Cam?
                  Cam may be a Type A when he a pilot, it just seems that pilots can also be just the opposite when they are not flying.

Comment

... I think believe what he said about barber Joe was also what he thought of the guy.
                    Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that. I expect Ben to adlib a bit when he feels comfortable with the character, and it would be interesting to know which lines are scripted, which are adlibbed, and which are scripted because of Ben's input or conversations the writers have with him.

I changed you brackets to () so I could split you quote, Chillin. (Only in my quote, that is.) It is still brackets in the original.
                    That's fine, I just use the square brackets so I don't have to hit the cap key and the 9 and 0 at the same time. I can type, but doing those fancy things can be challenging.

Comment

Cam may be a Type A when he a pilot, it just seems that pilots can also be just the opposite when they are not flying.
                      I can see that. He can be very laid back. I think we saw some of this in The Ties That Bind. He took over when the situation needed it, but he was also fine at times sitting back and letting the others take the lead.

Comment

Hmmm, I don't know about all that criteria, Kas, some of it seems extreme. Like not wanting to get dirty and wanting money to show their value. Maybe that's the definition, but then very few people would meet the criteria and I think of many people as being Type A. I don't think it's that exclusive a club.
                        It was rather extreme definition coming from the psychology viewpoint. Most people are probably are just composed of less rigid traits and have overall leanings to one type or another.

I tend to go with the more-relaxed definition you gave:
                        Me too... and I assume Landry as well. After all, the guy is not a psychologist and would be using it from a general everyday sense.

And I can see Mitchell as being like that
                        As for him reading all the files, it just struck me... I'm sure you've all heard that Ben Browder had a marathon and watched every episode of Stargate after they hired him? [Previously, he had watched some episodes, mostly with his son, but he wanted to make sure that he saw them all before filming.] I wonder if they put in the part about Mitchell reading the files because of that? Cool. Or coincidence? But cool either way.
                        Wouldn't surprise me if they did use it. It's not uncommon for a little of the actor's own personality to become incorporated into the characterisation and I would imagine that the writers may pick up certain aspects that they think fit and include it in their writing.
                        Last edited by Kas; 11 August 2005, 01:51 PM.

Comment

A thought.......

Jack always said, "Sweet."
                          Teal'c always says, "Indeed."
                          Cameron will always say, "Wicked."

What do you think?
                          Awwww, there's a little Harry Potter in all of us.

I'm sure Landry meant Type A Personality in the more colloquial sense... ie, the driven work-aholic who demand the best from themselves and those around them. Cam's crack about not being very patient sometimes totally fits into that more common usage.

And regarding the Cam/Lam/Landry scene... TOTALLY didn't see what some people seemed to have noticed with that damn button. I just figured that Cam only just noticed that it wasn't done up properly. Either I'm really dim (which I'm usually not) or some people are just reading WAY too much into ANY scene with Cam and Dr. Lam (jeez, I sure hope they don't end up together... just because of the name tongue twister... and wait until SAM gets back! )
                          I'm gettin' cofuzzled... night!

Comment

With Cam being a pilot, more so than Jack, I was wondering if Cameron will being flying (or learning to fly) some of the alien craft on the show.

Comment

With Cam being a pilot, more so than Jack, I was wondering if Cameron will being flying (or learning to fly) some of the alien craft on the show.
                              Good thinking Greytop... that could very well be a distinct possibility down the line. Wow, this is certainly opening up the whole SG1-verse... and did you see that?....:

Spoiler:
                              Cam's a trader again down on the planet whilst the others are doing something else? Wonder if the Leather makes an appearance again as the new Undercover uniform... It seems like TPTB aren't going to miss the opportunity of putting Ben in leather any more than Claudia

Comment

Originally posted by Kas
                                Good thinking Greytop... that could very well be a distinct possibility down the line. Wow, this is certainly opening up the whole SG1-verse... and did you see that?....:

Spoiler:
                                Cam's a trader again down on the planet whilst the others are doing something else? Wonder if the Leather makes an appearance again as the new Undercover uniform... It seems like TPTB aren't going to miss the opportunity of putting Ben in leather any more than Claudia
                                I sure did. I'm wondering if the TPTB have lurking our thunk threads at GW.

Comment

Working...
                                X