X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chronicling Mitchell:

902 – Avalon, Pt II

Tangibles:

Took a little fencing in college. Later says he flunked fencing, but I think he was joking since he was doing so poorly.

Saw the movie, Patton.

Intangibles:

The sword fight tells us a few things about Mitchell: He is willing to accept help and not be the hero: he tosses his sword to Teal’c to take over. When needed, he finds the inner reserves to overcome insurmountable odds* [both when the HoloKnight has knocked him down and in the flashback of his crash recovery]

Leadership skills: Mitchell takes an interest in what his team’s specialties are. A different approach from O’Neill’s “Just give me the bottom line”; Mitchell wants to understand why his team will make the recommendations they do: “Room full of golden jewels and Dr Daniel Jackson finds the one book. So what's it about?” After his little joke about Daniel, Mitchell wants the details – and he sits down and listens to the answer.
    Keeping the team focused on the goal: To Vala and Daniel [again! They’re like the naughty kids in class!] “Focus! Maybe we should focus on the task at hand.”

Mitchell reacts to situations quickly, but will pause to listen to reason: He quickly calls for a med team when Daniel and Vala first collapse, and he quickly acts to shoot the communication device when things get worse, but does stop to listen to the input from Dr Lee before overreacting.

Quotes:

‘Reading’ ancient: “A U with a square over it. A chair with a square! Upside down backwards L, call that seven! Squares unevenly stacked. A chair and big N, um...”

After finishing the tests and the treasure is revealed, he whispers, “Worth it.”

Upon discovering the ancient device among the treasure: “Well, one of these things is not like the others.”

After Daniel uses that he missed the Daedalus as the excuse that he get to use the stones and communication device: “You gonna dine on that for a while?”
    *While I’m here, let me reiterate that the swordfight had nothing to do with how well the challenger could fight and beat the HoloKnight. The ancients could care in the least if anyone can handle a sword. After the HoloKnight beat the challenger down [and he was programmed to be slightly better than whoever the challenger was, so his skills weren’t much better than Mitchell’s], the test was whether the challenger could find the inner strength, the conviction of spirit, the ability to NOT give up. If the challenger got up and continued to fight the HoloKnight, he would let him/her win.
    Last edited by ChillinTheMost; 10 August 2005, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
      You're doing fine, Hurley! Speak out about anything, we'll figure it out. Heck, I've had a harder time trying to figure out the posts of some people that I assume English is their first language! .
      Absolutely! I'm just impressed that people can write/speak in a 2nd language. (Hey, I'm English...what more can I say?...except that we are generally totally HOPELESS!)

Yikes, Greytop, I forgot to mention his Mom!!!
      Tut, tut... how could you forget MUM? With that one brief flashback we know more about Mitchell's background than virtually the rest of SG-1! We know he has a mom, a grandma, an uncle...probably more family too.

Another fine overview Chillin... just want to add in these quotes ... I found them funny anyway!

Channelling the Blues Brothers... Oh, and don't forget to add that our Mitchell is a big movie fan...

"Perhaps I should have just said I'm on a mission from God"
      "doesn't look like we're getting the band back together"

He also guesses General Patton's quote that Landry quoted by saying "good movie" afterwards! (although on 2nd thoughts, I don't think that's Avalon 1)

Comment

Originally posted by Kas
        Absolutely! I'm just impressed that people can write/speak in a 2nd language. (Hey, I'm English...what more can I say?...except that we are generally totally HOPELESS!)
        So, so true.

Originally posted by Kas
        Tut, tut... how could you forget MUM? With that one brief flashback we know more about Mitchell's background than virtually the rest of SG-1! We know he has a mom, a grandma, an uncle...probably more family too.
        I'm so ashamed.

Thanks for your comments and additions!

Comment

What is this board playing at today? Keeps crashing on me and I've now only just seen your Avalon 2 synopsis, even though you posted it first!

Originally posted by ChillintheMost
          *While I’m here, let me reiterate that the swordfight had nothing to do with how well the challenger could fight and beat the HoloKnight. The ancients could care in the least if anyone can handle a sword. After the HoloKnight beat the challenger down [and he was programmed to be slightly better than whoever the challenger was, so his skills weren’t much better than Mitchell’s], the test was whether the challenger could find the inner strength, the conviction of spirit, the ability to NOT give up. If the challenger got up and continued to fight the HoloKnight, he would let him/her win.
          Absolutely... it was as the Merlin Hologram stated the priorities for proving worthy. It wasn't just a case of defeating the knight, thereby proving nothing but physical strength but another 'test' to find all the qualities you've stated. Mitchell could have just headed for the safety of the rings and out of there but he drew on greater qualities of inner strength and proved himself a worthy victor. I LOVED that whole scene because it gave us so much insight into the type of man Mitchell is... 'never say die' character.

His description of Ancient writing was hilarious...but once again very quick thinking when under pressure. Daniel did really well to visualise all that in his head and translate so quickly

And the 'going to dine on that for a while' comment was a real LOL! moment.
          Last edited by Kas; 10 August 2005, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Chronicling Mitchell:

904 – The Ties That Bind

Tangibles:

Is still trying to get Daniel to re-commit to SG-1. [but Daniel passes out before replying]

Costume change! Undercover rawhides! [Browder’s back in leather and duster!]

Intangibles:

Team dynamics: Calls Daniel Jackson, “Jackson”. Mitchell calls his fellow pilots and military friends by their surnames so, to me, this is more of a “buddy” thing

First sign of “something” between Mitchell and Dr. Lam, even if it’s only in Landry’s mind: Mitchell and Lam emerge from elevator, Mitchell fumbles with top button, probably just trying to be “official” for Landry. Landry gives the couple "knowing" looks.

Leadership: Mitchell informs Arlos that the team will be tracking down his mother’s necklace while others hesitate.

Teal'c: I am offering my assistance on this mission only to aid Daniel Jackson. My participation should not be construed as a desire to rejoin SG-1.
            Mitchell: Right.
            Teal'c: Colonel Mitchell, at times, you remind me of O'Neill.
            Mitchell: Ah, I'll take that as a compliment.
            Teal'c: As you wish.
            This exchange shows that Mitchell hasn’t convinced Teal’c to rejoin SG-1, yet, but that Mitchell thinks it’s just a matter of time. When Teal’c compares Mitchell to O’Neill, and Mitchell decides it is a complement, Teal’c doesn’t dispute it. But I think the jury is still out as far as Teal’c is concerned, re: accepting Mitchell totally.

Calls himself “Cam” not “Cameron”: “Cam Mitchell, bounty hunter.”

Football fan.

Good team move: when Daniel and Mitchell simultaneously grab an arm of Vala’s to drag her away.

Isn’t giving up on Teal’c rejoining the team: “He'll be back.”

Quotes:

As Daniel awakens: “Good morning, Sunshine!”

About the undercover rawhides: “You don't reckon Landry's gonna make us work them into the rotation, do you?“

After the description of Vala and Arlos “frolicking”: “It's ok! It's great, thanks. We got the picture. A very vivid, very disturbing picture.”

When Vala and Inago call each other not-so-nice names: “Obviously they used to date.”

“Cam Mitchell, bounty hunter.”

“So, who you like in the NFL this year? You kinda strike me as a Raiders fan.”

“Wicked.”
            Last edited by ChillinTheMost; 11 August 2005, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Ya know, I kind of thought I'd be better at this. Or it would have more zing. Or something. Frankly, I don't think I'm doing it justice. If anyone wants to take over, just let me know.

Comment

I think Teal'c will accept Cameron more as an equal, after the episode Babylon.

Comment

Oh, I think that Teal'c will eventually accept Mitchell, and I'm glad that they are taking it slowly on that issue. It would be unrealistic for Teal'c to be all gung-ho and buddy-buddy with him. Besides, it's more fun this way, with Teal'c's sly aside gazes and sort of pretending that he doesn't like him. I don't know about the Babylon episode, so I can't comment on that.

Comment

Ya know, I kind of thought I'd be better at this. Or it would have more zing. Or something. Frankly, I don't think I'm doing it justice. If anyone wants to take over, just let me know.
                    Actually just let me say that I'm loving what you've done. Especially since I'm trying to get Cameron's personality down for a possible new series surrounding him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cathain Nottingham
                      Actually just let me say that I'm loving what you've done. Especially since I'm trying to get Cameron's personality down for a possible new series surrounding him.
                      Ditto... I've really loved reading these character analysis by episode. Really hope you'll feel like continuing...

First sign of “something” between Mitchell and Dr. Lam, even if it’s only in Landry’s mind: Mitchell and Lam emerge from elevator, Mitchell fumbles with top button, probably just trying to be “official” for Landry.
                      I believe he was just correcting his dress code in front of the General too...really fits in with his strict military sense. I can't believe either Mitchell or Lam would act like teenagers and have really actually made out in the elevator, as some seem to think. That would certainly knock his record sheet from A to Z- and doesn't really fit with the very proper military behavior we see CM display.

If it wasn't for spoilers though... you wouldn't think that CM and Lam knew each other at all from the way they interact before this point. I guess it's possible that once finding out they were both assigned in these positions that they'd privately agree to keep quiet about any prior aquaintance in case it jeopardised their postings?

Thoughts?
                      Last edited by Kas; 10 August 2005, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Let's see.....
                        Cathain Nottingham was first....
                        Kas was second.....
                        That makes me......THIRD.

Ditto to the above.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
                          Let's see.....
                          Cathain Nottingham was first....
                          Kas was second.....
                          That makes me......THIRD.

Ditto to the above.
                          That makes me fourth!
                          Yeah, don't even think to stop your chronicles, Chillin the most, or you will cope with a massive uprising with petition on line!
                          "We will do as I say" Bra'tac

Comment

Okay. I honestly thought they were lacking something when I would reread them, but I'll continue as long as I can. It's one of those labor's of love, but eventually, 'they' expect me to work at work. Shouldn't be any problem, though, since I only have to do one per week now.

Originally posted by Kas
                            If it wasn't for spoilers though... you wouldn't think that CM and Lam knew each other at all from the way they interact before this point. I guess it's possible that once finding out they were both assigned in these positions that they'd privately agree to keep quiet about any prior aquaintance in case it jeopardised their postings?
                            I thought TPTB had decided not to go that route when Mitchell and Lam didn't react to each other in the first 3 episodes. The only thing I really got this time was the way he was hovering over her when the elevator doors opened. Not exactly intimate, but familiar. If that makes sense. [I don't think they'd be stupid enough to try to do something in the 5 seconds it takes an elevator to go a couple of floors - even though they have a lot of floors in that place.] The other thing was the look she gave Mitchell after Landry left. Again, familiar, maybe a bit indulgent, but not intimate.

Comment

Originally posted by Cathain Nottingham
                              ...Especially since I'm trying to get Cameron's personality down for a possible new series surrounding him.
                              Do you mean fanfic? I'm not big on reading fanfic, but I'd like to see what people are doing with Mitchell. Let us know where to find it when you've got something together for us!

Comment

Okay. I honestly thought they were lacking something when I would reread them, but I'll continue as long as I can. It's one of those labor's of love, but eventually, 'they' expect me to work at work. Shouldn't be any problem, though, since I only have to do one per week now..
                                Can there be a better thing to love? ...Work...pfftt, what's that?
                                Seriously, that's wonderful. Glad you've decided to keep going for a while and look forward to your analysis each week! (only a few more and then the US goes on a 3 month hiatus! )

I thought TPTB had decided not to go that route when Mitchell and Lam didn't react to each other in the first 3 episodes. The only thing I really got this time was the way he was hovering over her when the elevator doors opened. Not exactly intimate, but familiar. If that makes sense. [I don't think they'd be stupid enough to try to do something in the 5 seconds it takes an elevator to go a couple of floors - even though they have a lot of floors in that place.] The other thing was the look she gave Mitchell after Landry left. Again, familiar, maybe a bit indulgent, but not intimate.
                                That was what I thought as surely we would have had some sort of acknowledgement that they knew each other like with Landry. They appeared to have been in deep conversation about something in the elevator...perhaps just the Daniel & Vala situation? I thought that the look Lam gave Mitchell after going through the stilted conversation with Landry
                                Spoiler:
                                (who the general audience still do not know is her father, although clues have been dropped)
                                could be read as one as just finding the whole situation amusing
                                Spoiler:
                                like most daughters when they believe their parent is always suspecting something when they are accompanying an attractive male.
                                In other words, if I hadn't read any spoilers from various places, I could still assume that they hadn't met until the sick bay with what we have seen presented on screen.

Comment

Working...
                                X