This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neelan_Liquor
    I have to agree with Kas, here. Definately! Guess we'll see in two more days.
    I hope you 're both right. But see this thread on the FORUM (S9 spoilers : Off the Grid) on : http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/

And during the comic con convention, about this subject, a Scifi VP, said that all the fans will be happy. Do you think the Carter fans will be happy with Mitchell in charge of SG1?

Oh, and I did ask JM straight out about Cameron's leadership... cross your fingers that he'll answer.
    Very good question, Neelan Liquor!
    Last edited by Hurley; 17 August 2005, 11:13 AM.
    "We will do as I say" Bra'tac

Comment

Originally posted by Hurley
      I hope you 're both right. But see this thread (S9 spoilers : Off the Grid) on : http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/
      And during the comic con convention, about this subject, a Scifi VP, said that all the fans will be happy. Do you think the Carter fans will be happy with Mitchell in charge of SG1?
      I can't really see anything in their spoilers that indicate Mitchell isn't the leader here... in fact, given that he has elected to take himself undercover, I assume he is.

As for the Con, when a VP is approached they are bound to say anything. Of course, it depends how it is written and to what explanation they give. I think this is when we learn about her
      Spoiler:
      commitment to Cassie and her needing to spend time with her. Could be they think that will satisfy Sam fans as it negates the callousness she displayed for Cassie earlier that so many hated.
      ... Perhaps, she remains head of R & D ... anything. Amanda also said in interview that 'they become SG-1 during Deux-Ex Machina when Mitchell says something really sweet' (whatever that means? - presumably about how much he wanted to work with the best and have her on his team)... I honestly don't see why Sam should come in (from voluntarily leaving) and assume command... leaving Cameron Mitchell with nothing to do. Besides, judging by his uniform patches, he outranks her as he was already a Lt Col during the flashbacks at the Lost City Battle.

Every Sci-Fi magazine coverage over here (UK) that I've seen... SFX, Dreamwatch, TV Zone... you name it, has Mitchell as the Leader of SG-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Kas
        I can't really see anything in their spoilers that indicate Mitchell isn't the leader here... in fact, given that he has elected to take himself undercover, I assume he is.
        I was talking about the spoilers indicated in the forum and not in the news. (they have access to several pages of the script).

Comment

I don't see anything in the write up or spoilers that says that anybody is in charge other than the guy that is in charge of the ship that rescues them. Maybe it was there and they removed it because it wasn't confirmed, and therefore, just somebody's guess [or hope] and/or totally false.

Also, like Kas mentioned about the con, anytime someone says that "the fans will be happy", you have to take it with a grain of salt. A large grain of salt. With a side of margarita. TPTB think Vala is a huge success and everybody loves her. While I think she is generally popular, there is a substantial faction that don't like her at all. They also said a "beloved" character will return. Beloved to whom? Them, most likely. Somebody that is popular on the set is not necessarily popular with the fans, or at least, not as popular.

So, "the fans will be happy" because ...they like the final choice? or because they are going to frame an unpopular choice in a way that they think the fans will accept? I think that Mitchell is going to be the leader, but apparently he is going to say something "sweet" like, "I really wanted to learn under your command, Sam" and Sam is going to say, "I think you'll make a great leader and I can concentrate on my tech stuff." TPTB think this will mollify those that are angry that Sam is getting the command taken away from her, but bottom line is that some will still be angry because Amanda, if not Sam, has earned it. I'm not debating that point here, I'm just saying that just because TPTB say the fans will be happy, well, doesn't really mean anything. Except that they tried to appease.

Comment

I was talking about the spoilers indicated in the forum and not in the news. (they have access to several pages of the script).
            You posted this while I was typing my lengthy reply. I'd like to see the exact wording of the script. As we know, interpretations are varied. It could also be that Landry says that Mitchell is the leader, but Mitchell's "very sweet statement" could be that he tells Sam that he sees her as a co-leader. So, it wouldn't be official, just Mitchell wanting to work with Sam as equals.

Or I could be completely wrong.

Comment

Ok, I found where you meant now

I have to say that I agree with the posters there. I would find it to be a total cop-out and bad planning if they don't make a firm commitment as to who is leading out in the field. I have not heard of any instances where military missions do not have a well-defined leader in command. I truly hope that they don't try and go that route, which would go against trying to keep to any military protocol.

Of course, there are always loads of missing pages from the sides and the comment that they quote about agreeing upon a certain action does not point to Mitchell not leading either. There have been plenty of times in the past when Carter has disagreed with Jack and he has deferred although obviously leader or else they agree upon a course of action... however, final decision comes down to the commander.

Sorry, that's rather long-winded Basically, I think the comment can be interpreted all sorts of ways and it doesn't really have to suggest there is joint command.
              Last edited by Kas; 17 August 2005, 11:24 AM.

Comment

I agree with those who don't think there will be a shared command. However, I could see Cam and Sam discussing something and coming to a silent agreement. But then Mitchell would still be in charge, imo.

My main concern right now is that I want to see Mitchell have some significant screen time, and I don't think we should have to wait until Babylon for it! Mitchell is a significant character, and it's time to let him be in charge for real and to let him lead. I feel like Ben has these chains around him. There are moments where it seems like he's going to break out and show us his stuff, but then he stops himself, and it's very frustrating to watch. Does anyone else see that?

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
                  There are moments where it seems like he's going to break out and show us his stuff, but then he stops himself, and it's very frustrating to watch. Does anyone else see that?
                  I can't honestly say that I see that Shards. I feel Ben has done very well with what he's been given to do. It's just not been of real 'driving the storyline forward' stuff yet. That's been Daniel and Vala's job. Ben has managed to bring little quirks and nuances to the character, but even he keeps saying that he's not sure about where he's taking the character yet and that's in interview during filming 'Powers that Be' and 'Beachead'. I think, like the rest of us, Ben will be happy to get more screentime and development so that he can really come to grips with the character and get some meat onto the barebones.

As he said in Dreamwatch 131.

Browder refuses to divulge how his character is introduced, whether it ruffles any SG-team feathers, or how prominently he will be featured.
                  "There's a legitimate concern about not stuffing my character down the audience's throat" he reveals, "There are a lot of changes on the show that don't have anything to do with me. We're adding Beau Bridges and RDA is not around."
                  So, it's definitely been the plan of TPTB to hold back on Ben from the word go. It must be frustrating but he was aware of how this would play out from the beginning and it won't be long now before we see Cameron Mitchell in real action - Hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by Kas
                    Sorry for the confusion. The direct link to the forum didn't work.

I have to say that I agree with the posters there. I would find it to be a total cop-out and bad planning if they don't make a firm commitment as to who is leading out in the field. I have not heard of any instances where military missions do not have a well-defined leader in command. I truly hope that they don't try and go that route, which would go against trying to keep to any military protocol.
                    I agree too. And I don't want to see Mitchell suffering from the "Ford syndrome" ( if you have watched the season 1 of SGA, you know what I mean).
                    Last edited by Hurley; 17 August 2005, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kas
                      ...Sorry, that's rather long-winded Basically, I think the comment can be interpreted all sorts of ways and it doesn't really have to suggest there is joint command.
                      Could somebody give me the exact quote and who says it? I can't find it. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
                        ...My main concern right now is that I want to see Mitchell have some significant screen time, and I don't think we should have to wait until Babylon for it! Mitchell is a significant character, and it's time to let him be in charge for real and to let him lead. I feel like Ben has these chains around him. There are moments where it seems like he's going to break out and show us his stuff, but then he stops himself, and it's very frustrating to watch. Does anyone else see that?
                        I definitely want Mitchell to have more screen time. All Mitchell, All the time!

I understand why they are slowing integrating him into the mix and if it works and it means more Stargate [with Ben] in the future, then I agree with it, but I really want to see more Ben.

Comment

Chillin, it's comments in the forum from people who have access to further pages of sides:

Spoiler:

I have to say having read more extensive spoilers that it's not real clear who is in charge of SG-1. At one point Carter and Mitchell stop to agree on something before they go through with it. This worries me. There's no way a military unit would have any ambiguity about leadership. And of course I don't want it to be Sam in charge in any way. I hope I'm reading too much into it...
                          ----
                          I noticed that, too. And, it certainly seems like a major cop-out if they are truly sharing command. Blah!

But, that particular scene leads me to believe that Carter was in charge of the second mission after they escaped from the planet. It was a technical mission, if you know what I mean. So, maybe Mitchell deferred to her because she was in charge of doing the tech stuff. But, that "Carter and Mitchell exchange a look" and "both agree in a moment" scene is definitely bothersome. And Carter's, "SG-1 out" with Mitchell right there does look suspicious. But, he is giving her cover fire, along with Daniel and Teal'c, while she does her technical thing.

I honestly believe all this to be open to interpretation as always though. I agree though, I don't want them nodding and agreeing all the time... definitely need a definitive leader in Mitchell.

Comment

Frankly, I don't think this even qualifies as a spoiler because it seems status-quo for any team that works together, but, I'll spoiler it...

Spoiler:
                            I'm not sure "They stop and agree on something before going through with it" is even a spoiler, much less indication that they have co-leadership. O'Neill would ask for the input of the team many times. I expect there will be much stopping and agreeing with all members and it doesn't mean that they are having quad-leadership. Seriously, that's what they're getting worked up over?

I'm not saying it won't happen, although I don't think it will, but I have yet to read one thing that can be even remotely translated to mean it will happen.

As for saying, "SG-1 out" what else is she going to say? "Carter out" I suppose, but for some reason she was the one communicating with the base or whoever, so why should Mitchell have to chime in his "SG-1 out". As for why she was the one communicating, maybe she had to explain something technically and instead of relaying through Mitchell, she talked directly to whoever. It would be silly to do otherwise. Especially if, as mentioned, he was laying down cover fire.

Would this be the first time Carter, or anyone, contacted the base directly? Of course not. It would be silly for everyone to have to tell O'Neill or Mitchell, "Hey, call base and tell them that the froonium fictum has indirectly cauterized the hizinna coil while the..."

I'm sorry for the rant, but it drives me crazy when somebody interprets a totally inoccuous statement into something to rile up the fans. This is not against you, Hurley, you're just asking opinions, but to those that started this ruckus.

Chillin out.

Hey! That means I'm in command! WooHoo!

Comment

Not to mention the fact that Ben's been trying like hell to give away lines!

I think Mitchell will be in command, but he'll be deferring to the others in their areas of expertise when necessary. That's it.

And people who start conflicts for the pleasure of seeing people IN conflict bother me, too, Chillin. *high fives Chillin*

Comment

Originally posted by Neelan_Liquor
                                Not to mention the fact that Ben's been trying like hell to give away lines!

I think Mitchell will be in command, but he'll be deferring to the others in their areas of expertise when necessary. That's it.

And people who start conflicts for the pleasure of seeing people IN conflict bother me, too, Chillin. *high fives Chillin*
                                Ditto. As in Avalon, Pt. 1, Cameron is leader of SG-1. He wants the old team back and that's what he'll get. He lucky in that respect. A lot of teams, in RL, you don't get to pick your own team.

Comment

Working...
                                X