This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kas
    Excuse my ignorance but is Duke a player or a team?
    Duke is a university here in the US. They have a good basketball team that has won the NCAA Title.

ShardsofGlass, I believe that CJ played for Sanford.

Kes, Sanford is another university.

Sorry for those about the spelling for Sanford, I maybe wrong on it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
      As far as football goes. In an interview on a late show a few years ago, he said he was quick but small, and that going pro was never an option. I also think he said professional football was too dangerous, but it might've just been a joke. Or maybe being too dangerous was partly the truth too!!
      Ben does look rather light compared to Pro US footballers, although that could be all that padding! Definitely looks dangerous, the little I've seen... I really like Rugby Union though.

BTW, did you know that CJ also played football in college? I dont' remember where he played but it was for a much larger school than Ben's and I think CJ went to a bowl game. Though I could be wrong. Now, he *looks* like a football player!
      Didn't know that... interesting. I agree, that's what I imagine a US footballer to look like with height and build. Though I guess you could have quicker, less heavy people on the wings?? In Rugby Union, we have slighter, quicker guys on the wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Kas
        Yeppers... from the UK... I guess I should be saying SOCCOR team, right?
        Haha. No, he played American football. Helmets, shoulder pads, the whole rigamorole. I love American football. Soccer, not so much! - But I think my nephews will be playing it when they grow up, because their father is a fanatic, so I'll learn to love it! At least, I'll love their games!

Comment

Interesting about the NASCAR stuff. I kind of wondered if his family was still involved in all that.

As far as football goes. In an interview on a late show a few years ago, he said he was quick but small, and that going pro was never an option. I also think he said professional football was too dangerous, but it might've just been a joke. Or maybe being too dangerous was partly the truth too!

BTW, did you know that CJ also played football in college? I dont' remember where he played but it was for a much larger school than Ben's and I think CJ went to a bowl game. Though I could be wrong. Now, he *looks* like a football player!
          Between working and the slowness of this forum right now, I feel like I'm in a timewarp. Sorry if my responses seem to ignore something someone else wrote.

I didn't know that CJ played football in college, but I had wondered. He definitely has the size factor over Ben. I wonder if they exchange stories? Does anybody know what college CJ played for?
          eta: or I could have just read the next post...

Comment

Originally posted by Kas
            Ben does look rather light compared to Pro US footballers, although that could be all that padding! Definitely looks dangerous, the little I've seen... I really like Rugby Union though.

Didn't know that... interesting. I agree, that's what I imagine a US footballer to look like with height and build. Though I guess you could have quicker, less heavy people on the wings?? In Rugby Union, we have slighter, quicker guys on the wings.
            There are lots and lots of colleges in the US playing at many levels, so many guys get to play college football. Ben is a solid guy, so at the level he played, he probably had the right build for a linebacker. I guess the quicker, less heavy guys would include the wide receivers and safeties. Sometimes the quarterback, too.

Enough of the football lesson! I love the sport, but I know it's boring to some people!

Comment

Thanks guys for all the info... I've found it really interesting. I had wrote a longer post replying to various peeps but lost it when trying to post. That'll teach me to copy first

I see others are having problems with the posting too... it keeps slowing, and then just timed out altogether.

---

I wonder if the idea of playing the card game in the foreground was adlibbed in or in the script at all?... wonderful bonding moment there for Mitchell and Teal'c.

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
                There are lots and lots of colleges in the US playing at many levels, so many guys get to play college football. Ben is a solid guy, so at the level he played, he probably had the right build for a linebacker. I guess the quicker, less heavy guys would include the wide receivers and safeties. Sometimes the quarterback, too.

Enough of the football lesson! I love the sport, but I know it's boring to some people!
                I'm not bored! In fact, I always kind of wondered which position Ben played and what kind of skills he would've needed for it. He mentioned he was quick, so I guess you have to be able to run fast to be a linebacker? Also, Ben is tall, but he's far from huge, so I'm guessing that you don't have to be big to be a linebacker? Or is it simply that Ben played at a smaller school that might not have the huge guys to play for them.

And if you don't mind me asking a million questions. Just what is a linebacker and what does he do?

Comment

I would expect a linebacker to be bigger than Ben if he played in a larger college and definitely larger in the pros. The linebacker plays defense behind the linemen. The linemen are the really big guys. They don't have to run much, but they should have quick reflexes and be able to stop anyone running with the ball past the line of scrimmage [where the ball starts on that play].

The linebackers are the second line of defense, i.e., the secondary. If the guy carrying the ball gets past the linemen, it is hoped that the secondary will take care of it. But, more importantly, the secondary is responsible for not allowing the other team to complete a short pass, or not to gain much yardage if they do. Also, the secondary does a lot of blitzing, so they have to know when is the best time for that and to cover for each other if one is blitzing. Blitzing is when the defense just runs hell-bent for the quarterback or whoever has the ball. It is decided before the ball is in play and it leaves your original coverage area open, so your teammates have to be quick enough to cover that area for you, plus their own, depending on where the ball goes.

The safeties play behind the linebackers. They are the last line of defense and pick up what gets past the linebackers and they guard against the longer passes.

I think I got that, I'm rushing because I'm off work! Seeya tomorrow!

Comment

Very good, Chill! GREAT football lesson... and that's AMERICAN football, guys! NOT soccer... or what almost everyone else in the world calls football. I like the Aussie's version myself.

I loved John Crichton's line is FS season one about linebackers. Aeryn asked him if there were no force on Earth as lethal and ruthless as Peacekeeper Commandos (Exodus from Genesis) and he said, Yeah, but they're called serial killers or linebackers. hehehe

Ben's only 6'3", and of pretty average build, and therefore pretty small for American football. Most guys his size in the pros are tight ends (ahhhhh, what an image!), quarter backs, or wide receivers... all offense. Most defensive players tend to be a bit bulkier... like Chris!

Now, Cameron? I could see him playing football for the Air Force Academy.

Comment

Originally posted by Neelan_Liquor
                      Ben's only 6'3", and of pretty average build, and therefore pretty small for American football. Most guys his size in the pros are tight ends (ahhhhh, what an image!), quarter backs, or wide receivers... all offense. Most defensive players tend to be a bit bulkier... like Chris!

Actually, Ben is 6'1", which is still pretty tall. If he wanted to play football, I'm sure he could bulk up and get more muscely if he wanted, but right now he's pretty slim.

Comment

Just to add - Ben's brother Neil (who I think was their main driver) now works heaps up in Canada these days. Hence why in TwoBam's logs he mentioned Ben and hsi Brother visiting the set of Atlantis. Also Neil is as sweet and kind as Ben is.

Comment

Originally posted by BritAngie
                          Just to add - Ben's brother Neil (who I think was their main driver) now works heaps up in Canada these days. Hence why in TwoBam's logs he mentioned Ben and hsi Brother visiting the set of Atlantis. Also Neil is as sweet and kind as Ben is.
                          You've met the brother as well Angie? Did he accompany him to some of the conventions? Must be great for him to be able to have frequent visitors to Vancouver... they probably didn't make it quite so often to Australia!

Actually, 6' 1" seems fairly average height nowadays... Even my son hit 6' (don't know where he got those genes!) and his mates (18-20yrs) all tower at 1 to 4 inches taller than he is... younger generations are certainly a lot taller.

---
                          Originally posted by Neelan_Liquor
                          So could I. Cameron definitely looks like a very fit and active guy, both before the accident and now. He seems to be a 'team' kind of person, so team sports would probably appeal... and he's mentioned the Raiders, so I can quite see him as having played this particular game.

Comment

Some people, who have access to extensive spoilers for "Off the grid", think (it's more a deduction than a fact)
                            Spoiler:
                            Sam and Mitchell are going to share command.

A good or a bad thing?
                            "We will do as I say" Bra'tac

Comment

Originally posted by Hurley
                              Some people, who have access to extensive spoilers for "Off the grid", think (it's more a deduction than a fact)
                              Spoiler:
                              Sam and Mitchell are going to share command.

A good or a bad thing?
                              Hmmm, can't quite see it. Doesn't really fit in with their sticking to military protocol and I would think would be very bad for a 4-man unit. You need someone totally in charge... they may listen to advice but would make the final decision. I think there is no doubt that this is Mitchell's team... he has spent all this time getting the team he wants back together... he could have chosen other candidates that would have formed SG-1 but this is what he wanted. They are not just going to take that away from him. I see various episodes where they are deliberately splitting the units and believe that this is why they seemingly keep partnering Mitchell with either Teal'c or Daniel and Sam with either Teal'c, Daniel or back on base... Obviously, they will then both have command of that particular mission as the military person... but as to overall command of SG-1... it's Mitchell!

Comment

Originally posted by Kas
                                ...Doesn't really fit in with their sticking to military protocol and I would think would be very bad for a 4-man unit. ... I see various episodes where they are deliberately splitting the units and believe that this is why they seemingly keep partnering Mitchell with either Teal'c or Daniel and Sam with either Teal'c, Daniel or back on base... Obviously, they will then both have command of that particular mission as the military person... but as to overall command of SG-1... it's Mitchell!
                                I have to agree with Kas, here. Definately! Guess we'll see in two more days.

Oh, and I did ask JM straight out about Cameron's leadership... cross your fingers that he'll answer.

Comment

Working...
                                X