This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Island

Just saw the movie today. I thought it was pretty good actually. Sucks that its tanking. Yeah I thought it was good, not the smartest movie out there but it was entertaining! Dont know why its getting bad reviews. I guess people just dont like Michael Bay. But I did enjoy it more then Hitchhikers. Go see it! Yup yup.

PS. I am not responsible if you see it and hate it.
    "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Originally posted by TechnoBoY
    Just saw the movie today. I thought it was pretty good actually. Sucks that its tanking. Yeah I thought it was good, not the smartest movie out there but it was entertaining! Dont know why its getting bad reviews. I guess people just dont like Michael Bay. But I did enjoy it more then Hitchhikers. Go see it! Yup yup.

PS. I am not responsible if you see it and hate it.
    I saw it at a sneak previewing where they collected viewers responses. Overall it got very good ratings from what I heard coming out.

I enjoyed it very much and found it entertaining and much fun to watch. Some were saying it was predictable, but IMO that's true of most movies out there.

Don't understand the bad reviews, unless some were expecting more of a horror story, which some of the previews might lead you to think.

It was more on the lines of Logan's Run, which I also liked. Not the same story but the same type. I will probably buy the DVD.
    sigpic
    ~ ~ ~mala\suekay sig ~ ~ ~ *Thanks to Mala50 for any caps I post & for her "crankies"*

Comment

I loved The Island. It has become one of my favorite movies - it has a good plot mixed with great action, romance, and humor. Very good movie.

I especially love the "what is God?" part! Hilarious!

Comment

the only thing i liked about that movie was the scene tween mcgreggor and himself, basically acknowledging that he can't do an american accent from any sort of US geography.

that was kinda giggly....

but generally...i thought it was crap.

weak premise, don't like scarlett johanson, actions sequences designed mainly to appeal to the video game crowd...

oh well...matinee prices...so it didn't hurt quite so much.
        Thanks!
        Jordan

my page
        My LJ
        From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Just caught this on HBO HD a week or so back. I have watched it a few times since then. I guess this will fit into my list of movies I am compelled to watch but not really sure why catagory.

Lets see:

It looks pretty in HD.

McGregor is a good actor and the cliché blonde sidekick wasn’t really that bad as they didn’t focus on the sex angle too much.

I love, LOVE that actor that played the head mercenary. That’s the same guy from Gladiator right (Gladiators buddy from Africa?).

I also liked most of the rest of the minor characters, I felt bad for them, all of them. Its an interesting little conudrum.
          Spoiler:
          save real people or save clones..... are clones real people
          . Although there are lots of logical problems with the movie.

I did like the mix of future with the here and now, kinda like I-Robot. All the cars looked like real gass guzlers though, and they didnt give any indication that they have an alternate fuel source. In fact the one guy referred to himself as a petrol head.

Oh and how many innocent people were murdered in an effort to catch the "good guys". I thought it was funny when they said "if you cant get them quitely, take them out". WTF you mean "if you cant get them quitely".....was anything about that whole sequence quite? Seemed like an odd out of place thing to say.

I like the "I know jesus loves you" guy even if their survival was unbeleivable.

In the end a fun mindless little scifi romp. Probably more fit for a Scifi movie of the week then a $10 theater ticket. Well execpt its a little bit smarter, has cooler special affects and way too little exploitation of females for Scifi channels taste.

Fine movie, not great or awesome but I have and will watch it again if nothing else is really on.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I saw it at the movies when it game out. Good film, quite enjoyable to watch.
            Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Got this one on DVD recently. It may not be the best movie made, but it is very entertaining. Lots of action, fast paced and good actors IMO. A pretty good movie that I will probably watch again some day.

Comment

It wasn't a great movie, but it was a fun movie. I have seen a lot worse so I was nicely surprised when I rented it.

Comment

Originally posted by Oreo View Post
                  It wasn't a great movie, but it was a fun movie. I have seen a lot worse so I was nicely surprised when I rented it.
                  Same here. I'd heard so much about how terrible it was that I was surprised to find it watchable. Same with Fantastic Four. From a critical standpoint they are flawed but if you don't expect too much they still achieve the basic requirement I think all films should meet, which is to be entertaining.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I liked the movie, not one of the best Scifi flicks but something you can definitely enjoy on a late night when you just want to watch something good.

I did find the plot overall predictable, as I recall seeing a movie from the 70's or the 80's which had the same overall plot and events, although McGregors original wasn't a designer, but a politican I believe who needed a liver for different reason.

Although I haven't seen a lot of his movies, I do think this was one of McGregor's more enjoyable movies.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X