View Full Version : WORST character send-off

L-JADE
August 2nd, 2005, 06:39 PM
If the MODS would make it into a poll, then thank you. :D

WORST charater/recurring character send-off

YEY!... SKYDIVER has made it into a poll, so... SNIP! :p

L-JADE
August 2nd, 2005, 06:43 PM
The reason I hurriedly make a list is because I just saw ORIGIN, and it's left me gaping in disbelief. That's it ??? :(
Before that I thought Jonas send-off was the worst and Janet's is the most unnecessary, but I can sincerely say that I like the shakehands scene for Jonas and Janet's last moment. They both and along with the other names had a chance to act (impressively in some) in their last 'formal' episode. I really wish TPB could write a better scene for RDA last 'formal' episode. He might come back but then again he might not.

My vote for this of course : JACK in ORIGIN

GatetheWay
August 2nd, 2005, 08:03 PM
I'd have to vote Tanith in 48 Hours. Jack's send off in Origin was pretty weak too but at least they tried unlike with Tanith's.

JanusAncient
August 2nd, 2005, 08:14 PM
I'd have to say Jack's, in "Origin," eventhough Apophis' was anti-climatic, and despite the fact that I loved Nirrti, think she could of had a better send off, Jack's was definitely the worst, by far.

ShadowMaat
August 2nd, 2005, 08:37 PM
I'd have to say Jack's, in "Origin," event hough Apophis' was anti-climatic.
It's anti-climactic. "Anti-climatic" means against the weather. ;)

Sorry, Joan of Arcadia flashback, there.

I'd go with Jonas, just because I haven't seen most of these. Anything after season six, in fact. :D

ComicDiva
August 2nd, 2005, 09:00 PM
I think the two people whose bodies Daniel and Vala used got a pretty rotten deal. :(

But other then that, yes, I'm gonna go with Jonas. It was obvious that eh was never supposed to be a character of his own, just a replacement for Daniel. Not that I wasn't happy to have Daniel back, mind you, but still... he had a lot of potential.

gatebee
August 2nd, 2005, 09:10 PM
Worst send off for me was Dr. Frasier because it is final. She is dead to the series.

As for RDA, I hated the way they did Origin but we have heard that he did not want to be killed off. RDA has some plans in the future to be back to the set. I know they could have done it better in Origin. Iwas very dissapointed at TPTB in the way they showed Jack . They could have done alot better , IMO.

macktheknife
August 2nd, 2005, 09:16 PM
Fraiser. I've said everything before, but no need to go through (and had only done so ONCE before that we knew of), especially into a raging firefight. I was suprised she actually had a camo uniform ready for her.

Agent_Dark
August 2nd, 2005, 10:02 PM
RepliCarter. I would have much prefered some kind of epic battle between her and Carter (mud or Jell-O would be nice, but not nessacary :P)

Meredith
August 2nd, 2005, 10:28 PM
Fraiser - it was really a very big loss for SG-1, they lost not only a really good doctor, but also a very good friend :(
Jonas - he was treated as just a replacement for Daniel

and Narim - I really liked the idea of him and Carter together, but they decided to kill all Tollans :(

Hywel
August 3rd, 2005, 12:53 AM
Jonas, most definitely. It was so depressing to see him stand in front of the Stargate with his arm in a sling and look back one last time, as if he's saying "I don't really want to go". Sure, he came back for one more episode, but he was in love with a friggin' Goa'uld! I thought he was meant to be good at picking up on things?

Meredith
August 3rd, 2005, 01:00 AM
Sure, he came back for one more episode, but he was in love with a friggin' Goa'uld! I thought he was meant to be good at picking up on things?

You know, they say that love is blind :D

Tok'Ra Hostess
August 3rd, 2005, 05:54 AM
WORST charater/recurring character send-off

Martouf in Divide & Conquer

Tanith in 48 Hours

Skaara in Full Circle

Sarah/Osiris in Chimeria

Hammond in Lost CIty

Fifth in Gemini

Replicarter in Reckoning
J

And I would add Cassie.

Olli
August 3rd, 2005, 07:40 AM
Killing off Doc Fraiser was a very bad decision.

Hailey! I think she disapeared into nothing!

ShadowMaat
August 3rd, 2005, 08:43 AM
Jonas, most definitely. It was so depressing to see him stand in front of the Stargate with his arm in a sling and look back one last time, as if he's saying "I don't really want to go". Sure, he came back for one more episode, but he was in love with a friggin' Goa'uld! I thought he was meant to be good at picking up on things?
The only reason we saw him again at all was due to contratual obligations. I'd love to know what stories Corin tossed out that were rejected by TPTB.

As for the Goa'uld... how sad that even in his last appearance on the series, ever, he's still under the shadow of Daniel Jackson, right down to the snakehead girlfriend. *sigh*

prion
August 3rd, 2005, 09:03 AM
The reason I hurriedly make a list is because I just saw ORIGIN, and it's left me gaping in disbelief. That's it ??? :(
Before that I thought Jonas send-off was the worst and Janet's is the most unnecessary, but I can sincerely say that I like the shakehands scene for Jonas and Janet's last moment. They both and along with the other names had a chance to act (impressively in some) in their last 'formal' episode. I really wish TPB could write a better scene for RDA last 'formal' episode. He might come back but then again he might not.

My vote for this of course : JACK in ORIGIN

Ditto on Jack in "Origin." However, is this is NOT his final sendoff, then I shudder at what is. I've seen the 'living dead' in movies emote more.

If you mean send-off by HOW the character went... Jack tops it.

I'd say JANET is next. Killed because the writers were like 'oh, we didn't think there would be another season?' (this after being renewed at the 11th hour for how many years? and since when is permanently killing a character fun for the viewers?) sigh.

JONAS, I think, had a decent sendoff. He wasn't burned at the stake, wasn't killed, and actually had dialogue and action! ALthough honestly, "The Core" ripoff he was in sorta stunk (sorry, season six did far too many 'homages' (cough cough) to current movies).

But again, Jack, "Origin". What a nightmare.

Eoin
August 3rd, 2005, 01:28 PM
As for RDA, I hated the way they did Origin but we have heard that he did not want to be killed off. RDA has some plans in the future to be back to the set..
Really :confused: RDA has plans to come back in the future :D :D :D :D :D
Where did you hear this?? or did i miss something?

jannagalaxy
August 3rd, 2005, 02:10 PM
Well,

I'd say these are my top three in no order:-

JACK - It's just like the last couple of months at the SGC didn't matter. Should of seen something else I don't know what but something. It just didn't sit right. It's like one minute he's there and the next he isn't.

JONAS - Poor love. Just all of a sudden he hands his place in SG1 to Daniel. I never fully understood why he would do such a thing. It should of been explained more. Personally I would of love to seen him ascend then he could turn up in Atlantis. (Just a thought :) )

JANET - It didn't make sense to me after 7 years why would they send in Doc Janet into a fire fight. Then it looked like Carter was more upset that Jack got wounded then Janet got killed. I know it seems cold but that's what I thought when I first saw that episode.

I know I said three but a couple of others include Kawalsky - I just loved that guy! Why kill him??? :(

And Martouf....Blown away at the end of the episode. :(

Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
August 3rd, 2005, 03:06 PM
The worst send off was Tanith, especially after the way they built up his feud with Teal'C. Very unsatisfying.

At least everyone else mentioned so far had SOMETHING. Some dialogue. A chance to say goodbye. Some really good character moment. Some dramatic purpose to their departure.

All he got was a short firefight in which his Alkesh gets taken out by a staff blast in the first few moments of a story.

I mean he's toast before the opening credits.

C'mon, good bad guys are hard to come by.

SimilarCadence
August 3rd, 2005, 04:53 PM
Jack first, with Jonas right behind him. It's as though TPTB were saying, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out".

(I personally wish they hadn't killed Janet, but at least her death and memorial service were heroic and touching. Cold comfort for Teryl Rothery though....)

L-JADE
August 3rd, 2005, 05:44 PM
Thank you all for the posts.. it's nice to know that I'm not alone in this BLAH! situation regarding Jack's send-off. I'm saying that maybe because I'm such a fan for RDA my opinion might biased. *phew* apparently not! :D

Out from the list, yes, I'd say Tanith had a bad send-off too, I love Peter Wingfield and TPB had created a nice complicated story line for him and suddenly he has his little face pasted in an ALkesh and Boom! he's gone, but at least he's gone in glory :cool: and create a ripple effect to SGC. Now Jack's send-off doesn't impact anything .. that's what bugged me! :eek:

Janet is really a bad case, I remember reading AT comment to the writer that it's not too late to change the story (make her survive or something) but somehow TPB decide it's good to kill her :( , I don't have complain about the Heroes episodes, TPB did a good story there, just wish that Janet's not killed.

Jonas, similar as Janet, can't complain about Homecoming story but wish TPB find someway to keep him in SGC, even as recurring character, stationed him at Alpha site, make him head of SGC library, ANYTHING!, it's just NOT RIGHT to kick him out like that. And I believe fans have invested a lot for Jonas character.
And in Burbank Con that I attended (if it's reflecting other Con :( ) I really don't like the reaction of people regarding Jonas, even a suggestion of sending him to Atlantis gets a boo-ing. IMO, that's harsh and ungrateful

ChopinGal
August 3rd, 2005, 06:07 PM
Jack light in Origins really got to me ... his lackluster performance seemed so out of character. He may return so it's not so final as we may think ... still it could have been handled so much better.

And Jacob in Threads ... here was an actor who was so good and believable in his role and great interaction with Bra'tac the other elder ... I hated to see him go.

Fifth in Gemini ... what a patsy! You think he would have learned to be more wary of all Sam Carters. ;)

Osiris-RA
August 3rd, 2005, 06:10 PM
Hmm...I'd have to pick Jack. Yep.

Then there was Fifth *Whyy???*

Martouf *NOOOOOOOOO!!*

Janet *how DARE they!!*

Jonas *oh, right, just dump out the garbage, huh?? :rolleye: :(*

And...I have to say it...Pete *how DARE they make me feel sorry for him!!!!*

L-JADE
August 3rd, 2005, 06:25 PM
Hmm...I'd have to pick Jack. Yep.

Then there was Fifth *Whyy???*

Martouf *NOOOOOOOOO!!*

Janet *how DARE they!!*

Jonas *oh, right, just dump out the garbage, huh?? :rolleye: :(*

And...I have to say it...Pete *how DARE they make me feel sorry for him!!!!*

THAT'S what really make me mad! :eek: even for that-sleasy-no-good- thing- called-Sam's-boyfriend, aka :eek:, TPB gave him a chance of good performance... From the beginning of Chimeria, he's so BLAH! and suddenly at the very end.. he's kinda nice and has integrity after all.

jannagalaxy
August 4th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Out from the list, yes, I'd say Tanith had a bad send-off too, I love Peter Wingfield and TPB had created a nice complicated story line for him and suddenly he has his little face pasted in an ALkesh and Boom! he's gone, but at least he's gone in glory :cool: and create a ripple effect to SGC. Now Jack's send-off doesn't impact anything .. that's what bugged me! :eek:

Jonas, similar as Janet, can't complain about Homecoming story but wish TPB find someway to keep him in SGC, even as recurring character, stationed him at Alpha site, make him head of SGC library, ANYTHING!, it's just NOT RIGHT to kick him out like that. And I believe fans have invested a lot for Jonas character.
And in Burbank Con that I attended (if it's reflecting other Con :( ) I really don't like the reaction of people regarding Jonas, even a suggestion of sending him to Atlantis gets a boo-ing. IMO, that's harsh and ungrateful

I agree with you 100%

I thought how they killed Tanith was not the best way, that story had great potential.

About Jonas, wish they never kicked him off the planet. They are just as many fans of Jonas as there is for any character. I would say the same for any character that has been treated unfairly. I think he should go to Atlantis, he's not going to be replacing anyone.

Caro
August 4th, 2005, 04:35 AM
Jack in Origins, definitly. It was pointless, and RDA seemed like he was bored to death.

Then Tanith. I was hoping for a great climatic scene between him and Teal'c, and we got... nothing :-/

MartoufMarty
August 4th, 2005, 07:03 AM
I'm torn between Martouf and Jonas!

... After about 5 minutes clicking back and forth, I decided to go with Martouf... I gotta go back to my roots :P

At least Jonas came back in an episode... Not a really good episode, but he came back... :(

Egeria
August 4th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Then Tanith. I was hoping for a great climatic scene between him and Teal'c, and we got... nothing :-/

That's why I voted for Tanith....It was a great storyline with such an anti-climax.

Lida
August 4th, 2005, 07:45 AM
RDA's appearance in Origin, was not only an insult to his 8 previous years, but a total waste of time. It told us nothing, showed us nothing new about him, in fact, he seemd to be a "ghost" of the Jack O'Neill we all have grown to love.

To say I was disappointed would be a gross understatement. The writers should just have not written him into the episode at all. It seemed like an after thought anyway.

MartoufMarty
August 4th, 2005, 07:49 AM
That's why I voted for Tanith....It was a great storyline with such an anti-climax.
Yeah, I loved Tanith too...

It really was cheap how they killed him off...

But... Martouf!!! :(

Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
August 4th, 2005, 03:31 PM
RDA's appearance in Origin, was not only an insult to his 8 previous years, but a total waste of time. It told us nothing, showed us nothing new about him, in fact, he seemd to be a "ghost" of the Jack O'Neill we all have grown to love.

To say I was disappointed would be a gross understatement. The writers should just have not written him into the episode at all. It seemed like an after thought anyway.

I think they did it to appease the folks who would have been upset if he didn't "hand the torch".

Let's just hope this isn't his last appearance on the show.

Lida
August 4th, 2005, 04:04 PM
I think they did it to appease the folks who would have been upset if he didn't "hand the torch".

Let's just hope this isn't his last appearance on the show.

That's the problem, he didn't hand the torch, he didn't do anything, except look lost. He treated Daniel like a stranger, in a scene without any meaning and then taking a F-302 out for a spin? If that's handing the torch, I'd have preferred nothing. It left me angry, waiting for something of meaning and nothing happened.

And I agree, I hope that wasn't his last appearance. :(

Nikkirose
August 4th, 2005, 04:36 PM
I really cant decide at this point in time. There are so many good choices I wish I could pick more then one.

-Martouf, He should not have died at all. Then they could of had the character/actor come back at a later date. Just cause the actor wasnt available for a comeback earlier in the show doesnt mean, he didnt want to come back at all!! Poor poor Martouf!!

-Lt. Elliot/Lantash, This character had great potential to become a recurring character.

-Jonas, Actually it wasnt Homecoming, it was Fallout. And I must say that I really didnt like that episode. It was a sucky way to show the character is doing fine w/o SG1. They should have brought CN back instead of adding Ben Browder this year. I know alot of people didnt really like the Jonas character, but he was one of my faves! Oh and he was ultra cute! ;)

-Janet, The only only reason they killed her character off was for ratings and a shake up for the SG1 characters!!! They never should have done that. I want her back instead of this boring and cardboard cut out doc we have now!

-Fifth, I just hated to see him go. :(

-Replicarter, LOVE LOVED LOVED this character and the potential she had to do some serious damage!!! I really wish they had not killed her off. AT did a fantastic job of potraying innocent-evil!!! Love seeing AT get to stretch her acting wings!! We need more of this!

-Jacob, Again they did this for ratings and more shake ups for SG1, Sam in particular! In the beginning I really wasnt all that impressed with Jacob, but as the seasons went on and they put him to good use and we got to see great acting by C.A. I started to like the character more and more. They should not have killed him off. He was a loved character and will be missed!

-Jack, Okay this had to be the WORST send off of all. Still not sure I wanna choose this one yet, since the character MAY or may not come back. RDA may decide to grace us with his presence in the finale, movie or just a normal episode. But if this is his last appearence ever for the Stargate franchise... then he was a waste of film in Origin!!! : I think its fantastic RDA is taking time off to spend with his family!! Good for him, for doing the right thing!!! Family should always be #1!! In Origin, he didnt show up until the last 2-3 minutes of the episode. And he must have been sick, or something cause he looked awful!! I dont know what happened in-between the recording of Avalon part1 and Origin, but it must not have been good. He looked great in Avalon part 1! Origin did him NO justice! And Jack really didnt seem all that interested in the "we are doomed" spiel Daniel gave about the Ori! His comment "I'm hungry", was beyond LAME! The writers/producers/whoever have said the character is not gone for good, that they'll mention him and his presence will be felt, ie Jack not telling Landry about the locked desk/missing key! But as far as I'm concerned if RDA decides to not come back, no amount of talking about Jack will be enough for me "feel" that Jack is still present in the SG universe. Thank you RDA and to the writers for making Jack my all time favorite character on television! But shame on them for "ending" it in this manner!

SueS
August 4th, 2005, 05:03 PM
I voted for Janet's as being the worst send-off. I thought it was extremely disrespectful to a well-loved character and her fans that TPTB wanted people to think it might be Jack who had died. What were they expecting people to do when they found out it wasn't him? Breathe a sigh of relief and say, "whew, that was close. It was only Janet." I was also not fond of the fact that Daniel had been with Janet when she died and not one member of SG-1 asked how he was holding up. You know, a nice Sam and Daniel scene with the two of them talking about their friend Janet would've been nice.

I thought Jonas's send-off was handled quite nicely. Daniel was back on SG-1, so there was no need for him there. He probably could've joined another SG team, but I think he realized they needed him back on Kelowna more. So, he decided to go back and everyone bid him farewell in the gateroom.

I don't consider Jack's scenes in Avalon 2 and Origin as his "send-off". Landry said something to Mitchell in Avalon pt. 1 that led me to believe O'Neill had been gone for at least a month. So, they probably already said all their good-bye's. So, in a way, they cheated the fans out of a Jack O'Neill send-off. On the other hand though, the S9 opener was not about saying good bye to Jack, it was about saying hello to the Ori.

SueS

L-JADE
August 4th, 2005, 07:17 PM
I want to comment on some posts.

I didn't include Cassie/Halley in the list because they are seems like FORGOTTEN instead of sent-off. I always think they would bring Cassie/Halley back somehow (Cassie should at least be there in Heroes 2 instead of Jack/Sam mentioned her in passing) but TPB seems to find that they're are not exist anymore in SG-1 universe. I can't really choose Rite of Passage/Proving Ground as send-off episode for Cassie/Halley, because they're not death or sent away to do other things, they're like in limbo somehow. Hence they're not in the list.
Chaka, on the other hand,.. on Burbank Con, somebody ask whether Unas storyline would appear again in SG-1, and CJ/MS said that it's not likely to happen and TPB doesn't want to do that currently (they want to explore the Orii thing)

RE : Jonas/Hammond, I choose Homecoming/Lost CIty eventhough they're come back in Fallout/Prometheus Unbound, they were MAIN CHARACTER before, and on those two later episodes, they're just guest-starring. I hope my logic is OK (it's sound OK in my head :o *shrug*)

On Jack's case though, TPB said that Jack still live and will return into SG-1 universe one day but agree that Origin is his good-bye episode for now.. GAH! it's still makes me mad the way they did the scene.. it probably be better if Jack just talking through the phone to Daniel, while playing yoyo or something, he looks so stiff there.. and the F302 flight with Mitchell.. is that a joke ? :eek: he's the first person in this planet who fly those thing, flew it to Anubis ship and blew the target with ease, but he's sitting at the back looking sick and uncomfortable like he is Dr Lee :eek: :eek: :eek:

ajratbag
August 4th, 2005, 07:45 PM
It's anti-climactic. "Anti-climatic" means against the weather. ;)

Sorry, Joan of Arcadia flashback, there.

I'd go with Jonas, just because I haven't seen most of these. Anything after season six, in fact. :D

Funny on the Climat pick up.

I would go with Jonas also.

Katerine
August 4th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Well, I haven't yet had the opportunity to see seasons 8 or 9 (and will be avoiding reading comments in here as a result), but I voted anyway because I couldn't imagine anything being worse than Janet's send-off.

They made the entire episode be about Sam and Jack, instead of being, you know, about Janet. For the entire episode, they tried to make us think Jack was killed. Then they turned around and basically said, "Nope, it's only Janet. And you thought it was somebody important! Ha ha, fooled you!" She deserved a lot better than that. A lot better than that.

Then even after they clued us in on the identity of the dead person (which, again, you would think they would do right away...) they still took time away from the Janet tribute to make the entire thing be about Sam, and her feelings. Not to mention Sam's need for Jack which somehow eclipses everything else, including, apparently, the needs of Janet's now-twice-orphaned daughter, who is apparently a "tough kid."

Is it really too much to ask that the send-off episode for a significant and much-loved character be about that character?

L-JADE
August 4th, 2005, 10:14 PM
I agree with you Katerine, it's terrible the way they send Janet off. I was upset when I read the spoiler (before the episode aired) but more upset when I read about the reason for TPB to kill Janet (thinking they won't get 8th season and to get higher rating prior to Lost City airing).

Ouroboros
August 4th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Nirrti's death was very dissapointing for me. She was probably the only Goa'uld I can remember that actually seemed noticably different in her methods and goals from the others. She would have made a great primary villian as opposed to the litany of Apophis "I will crush Earth and rule the galaxy" clones.

I also remember Simmon's death as being incredibly cheap/lame but I don't recall too much about the details. I think he was just sucked out an airlock or something wasn't he.

Once again a shame. John de Lancie is a fantastic actor that could have been used for a lot more than he was.

Voted Nirrti since I can clearly remember her lame death.

AmberMoon
August 5th, 2005, 03:53 AM
I voted for Jack in Origins. It might not have been his sendoff but it sure felt like it to me. RDA looked like a ghost of his former self and it was just bad!

As I'm sitting here reading this thread, I thought of Lord Yu and maybe he should be on the list. We know there was a confrontation between him and Replicarter but did he survive the encounter? Out of all the Go'auld, I liked him the best. He was like a Neutral Evil character out of D&D.

NotANumber
August 5th, 2005, 01:52 PM
I voted for Jack in Origin. When I watched his scenes I thought he must have been really sick at the time.

The main problem I had with Janet's send-off was that TPTB never did anything to show what an invaluable asset she was meant to be to the SGC. There were no medical crises and any one-off character could be brought in to treat any illnesses.

Jonisa
August 5th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Well, I haven't yet had the opportunity to see seasons 8 or 9 (and will be avoiding reading comments in here as a result), but I voted anyway because I couldn't imagine anything being worse than Janet's send-off.

They made the entire episode be about Sam and Jack, instead of being, you know, about Janet. For the entire episode, they tried to make us think Jack was killed. Then they turned around and basically said, "Nope, it's only Janet. And you thought it was somebody important! Ha ha, fooled you!" She deserved a lot better than that. A lot better than that.

Then even after they clued us in on the identity of the dead person (which, again, you would think they would do right away...) they still took time away from the Janet tribute to make the entire thing be about Sam, and her feelings. Not to mention Sam's need for Jack which somehow eclipses everything else, including, apparently, the needs of Janet's now-twice-orphaned daughter, who is apparently a "tough kid."

Is it really too much to ask that the send-off episode for a significant and much-loved character be about that character?

I voted for Janet for the very same reason, and you stated it so well, Katerine, that all I can do is add a heartfelt, "I agree!" :)

sueKay
August 5th, 2005, 02:07 PM
For me...It was a close-run thing between Jonas, Janet and Jack...

But I had to pick Jack...At least with Jonas and Janet there was at least *some* sense of closure (Jonas saying goodbye, Janet's memorial), but with Jack...nothing...nada...zip.

xkawaiix
August 5th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Yeah, same here. It was really close for Jack and Janet.

L-JADE
August 5th, 2005, 05:16 PM
I voted for Jack in Origins. It might not have been his sendoff but it sure felt like it to me. RDA looked like a ghost of his former self and it was just bad!

As I'm sitting here reading this thread, I thought of Lord Yu and maybe he should be on the list. We know there was a confrontation between him and Replicarter but did he survive the encounter? Out of all the Go'auld, I liked him the best. He was like a Neutral Evil character out of D&D.

About LORD YU, there was no confirmation that he's really dead, therefore I didn't include his name. He really is more of an Emperor than Goa'uld, his first prime has more loyalty than fear.

ChevronSeven
August 5th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Without a doubt, Jack in Origin.

Colonel_Sheppard
August 6th, 2005, 10:25 AM
I can't decide between Jonas, Tanith, Jack, and one no one mentioned Katherine, from the movie. I mean they just said she was dead, and had a funeral. I mean she did play a part in starting the whole thing.

But if I have to be really specific, Tanith was the worst. The guy got to get a hald smile then a huge blast in the face from Teal'c.

Hulabaloo
August 6th, 2005, 10:31 AM
I havent seen Origins so i cant say Jack so i went for Janet.

Great ep.

But id rather she resigned then got killed, at least she could have come back then...

emily_reich
August 6th, 2005, 11:48 AM
it was kinda a close three-way tie between janet, fifth, and martouf... i hated how ALL of them died... but as for worst SEND OFF... i had to go with fifth... it was like he was there, then he wasn't... horrid :D

L-JADE
August 6th, 2005, 09:19 PM
I can't decide between Jonas, Tanith, Jack, and one no one mentioned Katherine, from the movie. I mean they just said she was dead, and had a funeral. I mean she did play a part in starting the whole thing.

But if I have to be really specific, Tanith was the worst. The guy got to get a hald smile then a huge blast in the face from Teal'c.

I would have put Katherine name in there, if she showed up in the ep, but she didn't only her name mentioned, so I didn't put hers there.

Come to think about it, they should show her face (instead of her niece) in Moebius, it would be full-circle with the story beginning in the Movie, ah well.. too late now.

Sir Ruff
August 6th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Jack! I missed the whole thing. He was just gone :S Maybe the proper send off is still to come or maybe there will be none ;)

ComTraya
August 6th, 2005, 09:40 PM
I voted for Jack just because I miss him a lot.

Meredith
August 8th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Hailey! I think she disapeared into nothing!

I agree!!

I liked her aguing with Sam - it would be a very good point in a series...

Madeleine
August 8th, 2005, 02:19 AM
I picked Janet, but Jacob came close.

Janet deserved her episode to be more about her, less about the really naff 'is it Jack who died' attempt at a red herring. The acting was fab, esp from MS who deserved an emmy for that scene in the infirmary, but the story was dire.

UhSir
August 10th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Jack.

At first I was just plain stunned. Then I got angry.

I don't like that they've eliminated some of the other characters listed but at least they were sent away in a decent manner. But this is just like them saying, "Oh yeah, about this Jack guy..."

Kanten
August 12th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Among all the Jack outcry, I've gotta say one of the most disappointing and less-mentioned ones was Fifth in Gemini. In Unnatural Selection the writers emphasized his human side and while a Replicator, he may not be so much of a bad guy. Then he makes his anticipated return in season 8 working on the more "dark" part of being human. Then a mere few episodes later, he's tossed out in favor of making Carter's duplicate the lead Rep. The whole look at his "human" qualities just seemed incomplete. The fact that he betrayed by his companion just basically confirmed First's claim that he was "weak", after all of Sam's attempts to prove otherwise to him and everyone else up to that point. Just seemed like a depressing way to write him out. Then not a single mention afterwards.

But still, it's better for a character to actually receive a send-off than just be forgotten completely. Anybody seen Ferretti in the last 8 years?

NotANumber
August 13th, 2005, 02:27 PM
But still, it's better for a character to actually receive a send-off than just be forgotten completely. Anybody seen Ferretti in the last 8 years?
Well, he got mentioned in an episode in season three (I think it was Shades of Gray). That has to be worth something.

NotANumber
August 13th, 2005, 02:31 PM
The more I think about it, shouldn't a poll like this be restricted to characters who are either dead or who we know will absolutely never appear again. For instance, you might say that Chaka's appearance in Enemy Mine wasn't great, but it's possible that the character could pop up again sometime. It could be a long shot, but some characters shouldn't be written off right now.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
August 13th, 2005, 02:32 PM
I chose Kawalsky in Enemy Within, because he's a good character and they should've not killed him off that early in the series.

LoneStar1836
August 17th, 2005, 02:35 PM
I had to vote for Janet. Not because they killed her or how they killed her, but because they tried to play some pointless game to get us to think it was Jack so the focus of the show was about Jack. Duh, he’s the lead character. He wasn’t going to go out like that so why bother. Janet’s death was overshadowed by concern for Jack. She was just a side note.

Don’t get me wrong. I like and appreciate the episode for the message I think it implies about the sacrifice our men and women in the military make, so Janet’s actual death was not in vain for me. And the bits with Daniel were excellent. Great stuff by MS. I just don’t like the way the episode was structured to be all about Jack and then to toss in some S/J ship to boot. *Bleh* And to make things worse we never hear of them speak of Janet ever again. She is gone and forgotten.

Runner-ups:

Jacob in “Threads.” Most pointless death of a character on Stargate. In my mind, they killed him for the S/J ship. I’ll never forgive the writers for that.

Jack in “Origin.” What were these people thinking? RDA’s horrible performance, combined with he and MS not even being in the same room, mix in some cruddy lines, omit Teal and Carter, and end with a joy ride…. Yeah, that’s just how I envisioned Jack’s send off. :rolleyes: My view of the character of Jack had already diminished do to S7 and 8. This didn’t help. Shameful to say, but I’m glad Jack is gone.

*Just so I’m not labeled as a Jack/RDA hater….For the record Jack was always my favorite character up until Seasons 7 and 8. And I had no problem with RDA making the choice to make his child his priority, but his sloppy, seemingly not-wanting-to-be-there acting compounded with writers trying to squeeze him into episodes killed my love of the character post-season 6. The character deteriorated horribly from the Jack that I enjoyed.*

Olli
December 17th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Well,

JANET - It didn't make sense to me after 7 years why would they send in Doc Janet into a fire fight. Then it looked like Carter was more upset that Jack got wounded then Janet got killed. I know it seems cold but that's what I thought when I first saw that episode.

:(

That Janet and O'Neill were shot in the same episode was a bad desicion. They should have killed her in a Janet centered episode but this way they took the dramatic off her death by a possible death of O'Neill.

But killing Janet was a bad desicion in any way!

ping-pong
December 17th, 2005, 04:22 PM
How can you make "the worst character send off" and not include Tealc's wife, Dreyauc?

TPTB should have done a whole lot better than what they did with Teal'c and Dreyauc's relationship. Too many loose ends were left. There was no type of follow-up nor closure to were they stood with each other since "Family".:mad:

And to make matters worse in "Redemption PT 1"--there was no touching goodbyes between them; instead it was just Chris Judge shown crying over a dummy that was supposed to be the dead Dreyauc.:mad:

At least there was a bit of a follow-up and closure to Daniel and Share's relationship before Share was killed off.

Lexa Jayde
December 18th, 2005, 05:36 AM
i think janet and jack deserved way more attention to leaving than they got... but then the writers are all about subtle...arent they...

Sprinkles
December 18th, 2005, 06:17 AM
I have to go with Jack, Janet and Jacob.

Jack: We were told nothing!
Janet: I thought the epsiopde was very well done but there was no reason to kill her off in the first place.
Jacob: Again there was no reason to kill him off. I like the Tok'ra and with his death it seems it was death for all the Tok'ra on the show.

macktheknife
December 18th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Janet (Terribly written and completely against what existing canon orders\protocol was). Then Jonas. Then Jack.

OMG.

*Head Explodes*

They all start with J.

John Sheppard better watch out.

dahan
December 18th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Janet simply because it seemed like a subplot in "Heros", she wasn't given that much story in the ep at all.

Jonas at least got a 2 parter where he was taking on one of the badest of the bad.

Olli
December 18th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Janet (Terribly written and completely against what existing canon orders\protocol was). Then Jonas. Then Jack.

OMG.

*Head Explodes*

They all start with J.

John Sheppard better watch out.

I hope I won't offend some one but Jonas never impressed me that much. If he comes back it is good, if not is it good too.

It wasn't that good how they sent Jack off, but at least he can come back.

For Janet I agree with you! There was nothing dramatic about her death because the faked death of O'Neill took the dramatic off of it.

Olli
December 18th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Janet simply because it seemed like a subplot in "Heros", she wasn't given that much story in the ep at all.

Jonas at least got a 2 parter where he was taking on one of the badest of the bad.

Thats exactly what I mean. They made her death unimportant.

Dorka
December 18th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Jack...because I still miss him... I mean hey, he was one of the most important persons on the show IMHO!

majorsal
December 21st, 2005, 10:35 PM
I voted for Jack in Origin. When I watched his scenes I thought he must have been really sick at the time.

The main problem I had with Janet's send-off was that TPTB never did anything to show what an invaluable asset she was meant to be to the SGC. There were no medical crises and any one-off character could be brought in to treat any illnesses.

i thought janet's death was handled well (even though they didn't *have* to kill her off :rolleyes: ), but it was the fact that she was NEVER mentioned again that astounded me.

i would have liked a scene where sam comes into the infirmary and for just a minute forgets that janet is dead... i could see the look that crosses her face... :( or, sam has some trouble talking to the new doctor because she doesn't want to face that this new person is janet's replacement.

just *something* to show that this person mattered to them.

and i voted for jack's 'origin' appearance as the worst send off. and AGAIN, he's dead to the world like janet. :(

sally :)

Olli
December 22nd, 2005, 07:45 AM
i thought janet's death was handled well (even though they didn't *have* to kill her off :rolleyes: ), but it was the fact that she was NEVER mentioned again that astounded me.

i would have liked a scene where sam comes into the infirmary and for just a minute forgets that janet is dead... i could see the look that crosses her face... :( or, sam has some trouble talking to the new doctor because she doesn't want to face that this new person is janet's replacement.

just *something* to show that this person mattered to them.

Out of sight, out of mind! And thats bothers me too besides the unfair handling of her death.

How long and no one in the show will speak about Jack or Hammond?

1DanielForMe
December 22nd, 2005, 10:03 PM
Well, they've mentioned Hammond and Jack some, certainly, talked to them on the phone and such, cameos... Janet, though, I mean, she died, and indeed, they gave her that nice memorial, but to not even mention her name in any episodes prior to Heroes simply doesn't make sense. No hint of the weirdness of not having her around, having to get used to a new doctor and all that. It's as if everyone's minds had been wiped clean of all memory of Dr. Janet Fraiser. Very disrespectful on TPTB's part.