PDA

View Full Version : F302 weapons?

MarineCorp
August 2nd, 2005, 06:33 PM
Now I know the F302 is armed with missiles but what else is it armed with? I have heard someone say Machine guns while another said railguns. Can someone know?

_Owen_
August 2nd, 2005, 06:54 PM
No, at present I don't believe the F-302 is armed with rail guns or gun, as for machine guns, yes some type of rapid fire projectile weapon is probably part of the F-302s' armament. Mostly they have diffrent types of missles, and regular projectile weapons. Perhaps a weapons of atomic power at one time or another and every now and then they enhance something with naquadah.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! I hope you like it here!

Owen Macri

UNRE4L
August 2nd, 2005, 07:01 PM
Furlings hopfully j/k

I am sure it was machine gun. Watch the episode in Antartica, where they were fighting anubis's forces.

_Owen_
August 2nd, 2005, 07:04 PM
Oh ya, they deffinetly have some kind of furlings on there. lol. Machine guns too, of course them too. But first Furlings! lol

Owen Macri

MarineCorp
August 2nd, 2005, 07:09 PM
No, at present I don't believe the F-302 is armed with rail guns or gun, as for machine guns, yes some type of rapid fire projectile weapon is probably part of the F-302s' armament. Mostly they have diffrent types of missles, and regular projectile weapons. Perhaps a weapons of atomic power at one time or another and every now and then they enhance something with naquadah.

Well so much for that argument. Lost that one. :o But I thought the rail guns were to big to fit on the F302

Oh, and welcome to the forum! I hope you like it here!

Owen Macri

Thanks! :D

Watch the episode in Antartica, where they were fighting anubis's forces

Yeah I will.

_Owen_
August 2nd, 2005, 07:11 PM
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't think I was arguing with you. Sorry.

Rail guns are very large, perhaps one rail gun, the only problem is inertia, in space there is nothing (usually) holding you in place with a gun firing projectiles at speeds near and above mach 5, there is definetly going to be some force pushing you backwards, if the gun is aimed forwards.

I hope you enjoy it here!

Owen Macri

MarineCorp
August 2nd, 2005, 07:18 PM

Nah, I was more wondering. I was argueing with someone else about the weapons

Oh

Rail guns are very large, perhaps one rail gun, the only problem is inertia, in space there is nothing (usually) holding you in place with a gun firing projectiles at speeds near and above mach 5, there is definetly going to be some force pushing you backwards, if the gun is aimed forwards.

OK.

_Owen_
August 2nd, 2005, 07:22 PM
Oh ok. Well, it is entirley possible that there are more weapons that we haven't discovered, but as far as we know it only apears there are missiles and machine guns.

Owen Macri

valha'lla
August 3rd, 2005, 02:29 AM

Owen Macri
As i have said before most of the rail guns bullk is the seat and the power source and the F-302 should be able to use its naqadraia hyper drive or some form of naq generator to power a couple of rail weapons slung under the wing. As for at the mo probaly cannon of some kind as no US built fighter since Vietnam has not had them.

nimitz
August 3rd, 2005, 07:43 AM
It probaly has vulcan cannons and also seems to have amrams(i think thats the spelling).

_Owen_
August 3rd, 2005, 08:38 PM
Ya, now if we got rid of the seat and made them automated, we could fit a rail gun right in there.

Owen Macri

brockthepaine
August 3rd, 2005, 10:58 PM

Not to flog a dead horse, but the same goes for firing a Vulcan cannon. In fact, given certain variables, a railgun could provide less recoil. Yes, less. While you often think "bigger is better" this is not always true with weapons ballistics. A thinner, faster projectile will give less recoil than a wider, slower projectile. See wikipedia article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun for details.

I wish Colonel Everett had given the railgun's projectile velocity in meters per second, as projectiles are usually categorized. "Mach" is a very uncertain number depending upon your location, but if we presume he uses Mach 1 = 765 mph, then we can calculate the railguns fire a projectile at close to 1600mps. Most military "high-power rifles" do not exceed 2,000 mps (and the ones that do kick like a mule). If you want, the Wikipedia page has the equations necessary to calculate the recoil.

Lord ┬žokar
August 3rd, 2005, 11:12 PM
If you want, the Wikipedia page has the equations necessary to calculate the recoil.
:confused: Equations? You really only need one.

I don't see any weaponry on the 302 at all, nor any cowlings in the wings where they could be fired from, add to that the fact that Hammond implied that a 302 that has expended its ordinance is worthless. I believe the 302s only have missile hardpoints.

Jarnin
August 4th, 2005, 12:15 AM
If you want, the Wikipedia page has the equations necessary to calculate the recoil.
:confused: Equations? You really only need one.

I don't see any weaponry on the 302 at all, nor any cowlings in the wings where they could be fired from, add to that the fact that Hammond implied that a 302 that has expended its ordinance is worthless. I believe the 302s only have missile hardpoints.
Here's a shot of a 302 firing it's guns at the Daedalus' communications dish.

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/8976/vlcsnap44162202ev.png

Not the best picture, but it definately has guns of some kind or another.

Lord ┬žokar
August 4th, 2005, 12:49 AM
I stand corrected.

_Owen_
August 4th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Yes, you are deffinetly right there. It would be interesting to calculate the recoil of all Stargate weapons.

Owen Macri

nimitz
August 4th, 2005, 03:28 PM
That picture makes it look like there are multiple guns(2 most likely)and im sure they couldnt fit on 2 railguns.But im not that sure.

_Owen_
August 4th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Ya, I think they are much smaller, perhaps of Goa'uld design, they apear to be energy weapons.

Owen Macri

Panther
August 4th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Who cares about the guns. Most Air Combat occurs at BVR these days. Guns are almost irrelivant.

valha'lla
August 4th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Ya, I think they are much smaller, perhaps of Goa'uld design, they apear to be energy weapons.

Owen Macri
I doudt that there energy weapons as we might have some bigger ones on the promethis if we could ones for F-302's. As for guns they r a last resort when u run out of missles and good for killing infantry. Also if they fitted rail guns they would be quite effective cause of the projectiles speed and kintetic damage on impact.

_Owen_
August 4th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Perhaps, you are right, but we don't know for sure.

Owen Macri

valha'lla
August 4th, 2005, 06:08 PM
yeah ill admit that.

_Owen_
August 4th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Actually they do fire like standard Earth weapons.

Owen Macri

valha'lla
August 4th, 2005, 06:14 PM
lol that was a bit of a full circle their so we back to where we started or what :D

_Owen_
August 4th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Or what. No, just kidding, I guess we are back where we started, lol, that was a fun trip, but now I am dizzy. lol.

Owen Macri

Panther
August 4th, 2005, 11:19 PM
http://www.webshooters.org/photogallery/RedGlowTracer.JPG

Ascended Times.2
August 5th, 2005, 01:50 AM
The F-302 holds four missles, depending on the mission they may be naquadah enhanced, they also hold two machine guns at the end of the wings, I can't be bothered finding a picute to prove it, anyway, The X-302 interceptor has a naquadria hyperdrive and two missles both naquadah enhanced.

I hope that might help with any questions, i heard they were gonna give the f-302s six regular missles and two naquadah enhanced nukes, but that may just be rumours. I gotta go now. cya later all :)

Panther
August 5th, 2005, 05:22 AM
No I think the gunpacks are inside the fuselage near the wing roots...

valha'lla
August 5th, 2005, 05:25 AM
should if it can get through sheilds give it some form of nuke that can penertrate ships hulls

_Owen_
August 5th, 2005, 03:08 PM
http://www.webshooters.org/photogallery/RedGlowTracer.JPG
That is soo cool, what is that?

Owen Macri

_Owen_
August 5th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Yay, more time dialation!

Owen Macri

_Owen_
August 5th, 2005, 03:12 PM
That is soo cool, what is that?

Owen Macri

Panther
August 5th, 2005, 09:19 PM
I think it's M134s on a range.

_Owen_
August 5th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Because that is really cool.

Owen Macri

MarineCorp
August 6th, 2005, 01:07 PM
http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s8/808/html/COVENANT%5F566.html

Anyones know what those things sticking out of the F302 are?

_Owen_
August 6th, 2005, 01:23 PM
I really don't know, maybe they are instruments, they could measure, speed or something.

Owen Macri

ColonelWilliams
August 6th, 2005, 01:23 PM

Anyones know what those things sticking out of the F392 are?

peto tubes? or maybe instuments.

ColonelWilliams
August 6th, 2005, 01:28 PM

Owen Macri

yes the rail guns on atlantis are big, but the 302 is not a small ship. look at the guy manning the rail gun and compare sizes with the f-302 and it's pilot. even if they are too big, they could make ones a little smaller that could still take out a dart. i think this would be the next best thing short of lasers travelling the speed of light. oh and if we now have good sublights, that recoil shouldn't be a problem

_Owen_
August 6th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Oh damn, more time dialation, I responded to your post, about the possibility of them being instruments, and it apeared before your post. This gets annoying.

Owen Macri

SP90
August 6th, 2005, 01:35 PM

Anyones know what those things sticking out of the F392 are?

Their not guns if thats what your suggesting. Most likely their pitots or some kind of electronic sensor. Take a look at this picture. Most modern fighters have their guns internally mounted, towards the center of the plane. The gun port is circled in red. That thing hanging down below and in front of the gun is some kind of IR sensor.

That said, the F-302 must have some sort of gun system built in, probably the M61A2 Vulcan cannon. The missles should be AIM-120 AMRAAMs since their currently the most advanced medium range air-to-air missiles in the US inventory.

_Owen_
August 6th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Yes, I half assumed they would be a type of sensor.

Owen Macri

Milleniumlance
November 14th, 2005, 08:00 AM
why is it that everytime someone witnesses a tracers round they think ENERGY WEAPON

Panther
November 14th, 2005, 04:45 PM
That thing hanging down below and in front of the gun is some kind of IR sensor.
Probably not. I don't see any "window" for the sensor to look though.

RA the sun god
December 12th, 2005, 04:16 PM
who says it requires one???

Jarnin
December 12th, 2005, 07:43 PM
who says it requires one???
Uh, IR = Light. You need a material that is transparent to IR, which is usually glass.

Mister Oragahn
December 13th, 2005, 08:53 AM
F-302 have four missiles and some kind of machine guns mounted near the nose.
These weapons are a recent addition, since they were not present in the whole SG-1 7th season.

AscendedTimes2.0 says that there's also a naqahdriah based hyperdrive there.
Well, I doubt it. It has never worked properly and proved utterly useless safe for very specific missions.
There's therefore no reason why the hyperdrive would still be there, though I guess it still can be mounted. However, they probably kept their payload of naqahdriah.

Panther
December 13th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Uh, IR = Light. You need a material that is transparent to IR, which is usually glass.
Have a look at the motion detectors on your lights or alarm systems...

alaskannut
December 16th, 2005, 02:55 AM

Anyones know what those things sticking out of the F302 are?
Most likely they're air data sensors...most military aircraft are fly-by-wire (i.e. highly computerised), as their designs are extremely unstable which improves manueverability--they can only be controlled with a high degree of computer intervention. The computers use the ADS's to help determine atmospheric properties ahead of/around the aircraft and help in making the calculations necessary to control said aircraft.

SP90
April 23rd, 2006, 08:33 AM
Probably not. I don't see any "window" for the sensor to look though.

Could be the TCS then, I just remember one of them were the IR sensor.

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-detail-chinpods.htm

Spudster
April 23rd, 2006, 08:43 AM
i believe the F-302 has the guns like the ones used in the siege part 2, and they would fit because u think they are big but then compared to the f-302, it would look fairly fittable methinks

SP90
April 23rd, 2006, 08:50 AM
Intruder shows the F-302 have some sort of gun. What type idk, but it "sounded" like the rail guns used in Siege Part 2. Makes logistical sense since the F-302's gun and the BC-304's CIWS can share a common ammo.

Spudster
April 23rd, 2006, 08:51 AM
:indeed:, i concur that they do sound remarkably the same...

Jarnin
April 23rd, 2006, 01:25 PM
Intruder shows the F-302 have some sort of gun. What type idk, but it "sounded" like the rail guns used in Siege Part 2. Makes logistical sense since the F-302's gun and the BC-304's CIWS can share a common ammo.
In space, there's no medium which sound can travel through. In other words, ignore the sound effects in space; they're not supposed to be there.

Milleniumlance
April 24th, 2006, 07:47 AM
yup...they need to add more missiles though, all that space down the middle of the fuselage you can fit 2 more down there...In Allies we see that our missile are VERY effective against darts...

Major Zoidberg
April 24th, 2006, 07:50 AM
You'd think the F302s would carry nuclear tipped missiles, they can get in close where the daedalus can not, it would only take a handful of smaller missiles to cripple a hive ship, as for the ori...i got nothin ;)

SP90
April 24th, 2006, 08:03 AM
In space, there's no medium which sound can travel through. In other words, ignore the sound effects in space; they're not supposed to be there.

I know that but when you heard the sound in the episode, it was during the shot when the camera is inside the cockpit. Makes sense for there to be air (a medium for sound to travel) inside the spacecraft right? ;)

Spudster
April 24th, 2006, 09:56 AM
not if the sound is being generated outside the cockpit, which means that inside the cockpit you wud hear nothing except if something hit you

SP90
April 24th, 2006, 10:21 AM
When the railgun was firing the noise you hear onscreen is probably the capacitor charging/discharging plus vibration from the weapon. If the point of origin of the sound is surrounded by vaccum then yes you won't hear. But in this case the source of the sound is from within the spacecraft itself, which you will hear because the sound waves can travel through the structure of the ship.

Sci-fi shows just pushes it too far sometimes and you the "whoosh" when ships fly past. Without sound effects, it will be boring. :)

Rodan5757
April 24th, 2006, 10:23 AM
not if the sound is being generated outside the cockpit, which means that inside the cockpit you wud hear nothing except if something hit you

This is technically true, although rapid fire from rail guns would provide sound resonation throughout the hull of the ship...createing sound in the cockpit. ;)

EDIT: SP90 beat me to the punch, but at least I'm not alone in my explanation of sound resonation. ;)

Commander Aegir
April 24th, 2006, 11:53 AM
The F302 could do with phasers, or mini railguns instead of missiles

Milleniumlance
April 24th, 2006, 12:24 PM
The F302 could do with phasers, or mini railguns instead of missiles

one upside to missiles though is homing ability, but since earth doesn't have small direct energy beams; missiles are the best bet...

SP90
April 24th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Yep, this is as close as we can get in the real world.

http://www.fas.org/spp/starwars/program/abl.htm

Milleniumlance
April 24th, 2006, 08:06 PM

John Jumper mentioned launching F-22s and ABLs in "Lost City"

miniaturize the ABL and put it on a turret with computer assisted targeting and we have a winner.

Daryl Froggy
April 25th, 2006, 09:34 AM

Well if we can do that in real life then why haven't we seen a really powerful laser in the show yet?

Major Zoidberg
April 25th, 2006, 09:41 AM
wrong show/fandom dude ;)

SP90
April 25th, 2006, 10:47 AM
miniaturize the ABL and put it on a turret with computer assisted targeting and we have a winner.

I think everything these days have computer assisstance. :cool:

Well if we can do that in real life then why haven't we seen a really powerful laser in the show yet?

For this I blame Felger. Maybe if he stop daydreaming about Sam and actually do some work we have a working ray gun on the show already. :)

V-MAN
April 26th, 2006, 05:35 AM
miniaturize the ABL and put it on a turret

far easier said than done....

pyrodude
April 26th, 2006, 05:42 AM
As it would be mounted on a fighter it wouldn't really need a turret as it is not that difficult to spin the whole craft around so that it points at the target.

SP90
April 26th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Hey guys go check out the latest issue (June?) of Popular Science. It's got exactly what we're talking about right on the cover! It shows what appeard to be a F-35 with fold-out laser cannon turrents mounted on either side of the cockpit. :cool:

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/aviationspace/a4ce42fd3f98a010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

Spudster
April 26th, 2006, 10:08 AM
how do you know they are fold out???

SP90
April 26th, 2006, 01:01 PM
how do you know they are fold out???

Go read the article. ;)

Edit: It's in the photo caption of the paper version.

mburrows
April 26th, 2006, 11:30 PM
i wont read the thread and say this

it is either a small railgun(kinda sounds like one imo)or it is the standard machine gun on the us's current aircraft

Milleniumlance
April 27th, 2006, 12:02 PM
I'm thinking it a rail-gun because of the sound and the RG uses smaller ammunition which would mean more ammunition capacity

20mm 200-300 rounds
RG-01 600-1000 rounds

llama
April 28th, 2006, 01:17 AM
they do have railguns, when ever they are out fighting u can hear and see the bullets or whatever they are go flying around. whats the point of having an f302 with missles and when it runs out of missles then what does it use if it doesnt have railguns?

Elitenova
April 28th, 2006, 09:06 AM
check this out.

laser weapons for the F-302 (http://www.popsci.com/popsci/aviationspace/a4ce42fd3f98a010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html)

SP90
April 28th, 2006, 12:09 PM
check this out.

laser weapons for the F-302 (http://www.popsci.com/popsci/aviationspace/a4ce42fd3f98a010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html)

I posted that already. ;)

Spudster
April 28th, 2006, 02:07 PM
One More Greeny And I'll Have Fifty!!!!

SP90
April 29th, 2006, 09:49 AM
One More Greeny And I'll Have Fifty!!!!

How do you give those greeny?

mburrows
April 29th, 2006, 09:55 AM
that laser on the f-22s would be a great idea for the writers to put on the f-302s....or make it so felgar's cannon was perfected, that thing looks good

Spudster
April 29th, 2006, 07:31 PM
How do you give those greeny?

see the scales at the top right of posts? click it.

Daryl Froggy
May 1st, 2006, 04:03 PM
that laser on the f-22s would be a great idea for the writers to put on the f-302s....or make it so felgar's cannon was perfected, that thing looks good
It doesn't have to be perfected, heck it might only be able to store 100 shots in an energy buffer(like the one for the Ori sattelite) for firing but it would still be something.