This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asteroid (1km wide) might collide with earth on march 16th 2880

I dunno has this been mentioned here before.. but i decided to post it incase it hasnt...

I was looking at the national geographic web site when i came across this....

Large Asteroid Headed for Impact With Earth in 2880?

David Braun
    National Geographic News

Scientists have identified a thousand-yard-wide (one-kilometer-wide) asteroid that may be heading for a collision with Earth—878 years from now.

Using radar and optical measurements made over the past 51 years, researchers have calculated that there is up to a one-in-300 possibility that Asteroid 1950 DA will slam into Earth on March 16, 2880. Their work is published in the April 5 issue of Science.

"We calculated the probability of collision based on what we know about the physical aspects of the asteroid and many other factors," said Jon Giorgini of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena. "As we get more information we will be able to adjust the level of probability up or down."

Odds of one in 300 may seem almost insignificant, but it is the highest Earth-impact potential ever assigned by scientists to an object in space, according to Giorgini.

The consequences of a collision from an asteroid a thousand yards in diameter are speculative. Could a direct hit destroy an entire city? Would an ocean impact create a massive tsunami capable of deluging adjacent coast lines?

"Nothing good can come from such an impact," said Giorgini. "But a collision between 1950 DA and Earth is so unlikely it is not worth worrying about. And even if it does look like there could be a collision, we have plenty of time and many ways to deflect the asteroid from its path."

More info is available from National Geographic

In 800yrs our tech will be sooooo much better.
    Does anyone think that we will have any tech that resembles tech on stargate to deflect the asteroid in the yr 2880 if it is gonna impact earth

I think we will have something like the tollans ion cannons to vapourize the asteroid. or at least space ships that can tow the asteroid away from earth.

Thoughts and opinions anyone
    The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Well, they called the last Earth threatening asteroid Apophis, I guess this one will have to be called Anubis.

-IMF
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

2880 ? If we are not ready to deflect it by then we probably don't deserve to suvive as a species 'ya know ? In fact by 2880 the planet might be more of a park or preserve or destroyed by our idiocy.

Michael Shanks in Local Custom
      www.buzzymultimedia.com
      Michael Shanks in Local Custom~Ben Browder in Interlopers

Comment

March 16, you say? I'm booking my vacation now.

lol.

Owen Macri

Comment

We're all going to die!!!

*panic*

*panic*

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
          Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Lol, not yet, you still have another 875 years, I would only panic for the last two days, you will enjoy yourself more before your uncircumventable, impending doom. lol.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by misravot
              2880 ? If we are not ready to deflect it by then we probably don't deserve to suvive as a species 'ya know ? In fact by 2880 the planet might be more of a park or preserve or destroyed by our idiocy.
              "You lot. You spend all your time thinking about dying. Like your going to be killed by eggs, or beef, or global warming, or asteroids. But, you never take time to imagine the impossible: that maybe you survive. This is the year 5.5/apple/26, 5 billion years in your future, and this is the day... hold on... this is the day the sun expands. Welcome to the end of the world."-- The Doctor.

There's nothing we can do that would destroy the planet. We can certainly wipe ourselves off the face of it if we set our minds to do so, but we can't destroy the planet, or even come close. Come the year quoted above, is when and how the Earth will likely meet it's terminus, but it will have nothing to do with humanity.

-IMF
              "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
              "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
              BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Being I am the one that is oh so positive, I honestly don't see the human race making it that far. That is if we don't pull our collective heads out of our collective asses.

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
                  "You lot. You spend all your time thinking about dying. Like your going to be killed by eggs, or beef, or global warming, or asteroids. But, you never take time to imagine the impossible: that maybe you survive. This is the year 5.5/apple/26, 5 billion years in your future, and this is the day... hold on... this is the day the sun expands. Welcome to the end of the world."-- The Doctor.

There's nothing we can do that would destroy the planet. We can certainly wipe ourselves off the face of it if we set our minds to do so, but we can't destroy the planet, or even come close. Come the year quoted above, is when and how the Earth will likely meet it's terminus, but it will have nothing to do with humanity.

-IMF
                  We could very well blow up the planet, we simply remove mass from the Sun, and BOOM! Or we can blow up the core of the planet using extremly large amounts of anti-matter, once again BOOM!!!

Owen Macri

Comment

All this talk of the end of the world in the distant future is making me quite pleased I'll be dead by then... I never thought that would be comforting. Thanks for making me feel better.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

They can identify asteroids coming from a gazillion miles deep in space but they can't figure out a quick painless solution when a catastrophe is occuring right here on home base in good ol 2005?? *hint hint*

These scientists...always dreaming up the next crisis or doomsday...or causing it...

*tch* Well, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to finish my novel before then...
                      TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Lol, you're welcome... I guess. Well, I will have to worry about it, I don't plan on ever dying. Oh well, we can just blow it up! That always works. Oh and we can video tape it, because no one good ever dies in movies!

Owen Macri

Comment

2880 you say? Well, by then I'd cease to care.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
                          Spoiler:

Comment

It would be exciting if the asteroid came sooner. Sometime in my lifetime. Could you imagine the excitement? My question is, Do you think that the goverment would let the public know if an asteroid that would obliterate half the world was gonna hit earth?

Comment

Of course not, they would keep it a secret, call up the Asgard and ask them to help us with thier big transporters and tractor beams and whatnot.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                              X