PDA

View Full Version : Asteroid (1km wide) might collide with earth on march 16th 2880

Eoin
August 1st, 2005, 06:06 PM
I dunno has this been mentioned here before.. but i decided to post it incase it hasnt...

I was looking at the national geographic web site when i came across this....

Large Asteroid Headed for Impact With Earth in 2880?

David Braun
National Geographic News

Scientists have identified a thousand-yard-wide (one-kilometer-wide) asteroid that may be heading for a collision with Earth—878 years from now.

Using radar and optical measurements made over the past 51 years, researchers have calculated that there is up to a one-in-300 possibility that Asteroid 1950 DA will slam into Earth on March 16, 2880. Their work is published in the April 5 issue of Science.

"We calculated the probability of collision based on what we know about the physical aspects of the asteroid and many other factors," said Jon Giorgini of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena. "As we get more information we will be able to adjust the level of probability up or down."

Odds of one in 300 may seem almost insignificant, but it is the highest Earth-impact potential ever assigned by scientists to an object in space, according to Giorgini.

The consequences of a collision from an asteroid a thousand yards in diameter are speculative. Could a direct hit destroy an entire city? Would an ocean impact create a massive tsunami capable of deluging adjacent coast lines?

"Nothing good can come from such an impact," said Giorgini. "But a collision between 1950 DA and Earth is so unlikely it is not worth worrying about. And even if it does look like there could be a collision, we have plenty of time and many ways to deflect the asteroid from its path."

More info is available from National Geographic (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/04/0403_020404_asteroid.html)

In 800yrs our tech will be sooooo much better.
Does anyone think that we will have any tech that resembles tech on stargate to deflect the asteroid in the yr 2880 if it is gonna impact earth

I think we will have something like the tollans ion cannons to vapourize the asteroid. or at least space ships that can tow the asteroid away from earth.

Thoughts and opinions anyone

IMForeman
August 1st, 2005, 06:33 PM
Well, they called the last Earth threatening asteroid Apophis, I guess this one will have to be called Anubis.

-IMF

misravot
August 1st, 2005, 06:40 PM
2880 ? If we are not ready to deflect it by then we probably don't deserve to suvive as a species 'ya know ? In fact by 2880 the planet might be more of a park or preserve or destroyed by our idiocy.

Michael Shanks in Local Custom
www.buzzymultimedia.com

_Owen_
August 1st, 2005, 07:00 PM
March 16, you say? I'm booking my vacation now.

lol.

Owen Macri

MartoufMarty
August 1st, 2005, 07:37 PM
We're all going to die!!!

*panic*

*panic*

:P

_Owen_
August 1st, 2005, 07:43 PM
Lol, not yet, you still have another 875 years, I would only panic for the last two days, you will enjoy yourself more before your uncircumventable, impending doom. lol.

Owen Macri

IMForeman
August 1st, 2005, 08:11 PM
2880 ? If we are not ready to deflect it by then we probably don't deserve to suvive as a species 'ya know ? In fact by 2880 the planet might be more of a park or preserve or destroyed by our idiocy.

"You lot. You spend all your time thinking about dying. Like your going to be killed by eggs, or beef, or global warming, or asteroids. But, you never take time to imagine the impossible: that maybe you survive. This is the year 5.5/apple/26, 5 billion years in your future, and this is the day... hold on... this is the day the sun expands. Welcome to the end of the world."-- The Doctor.

There's nothing we can do that would destroy the planet. We can certainly wipe ourselves off the face of it if we set our minds to do so, but we can't destroy the planet, or even come close. Come the year quoted above, is when and how the Earth will likely meet it's terminus, but it will have nothing to do with humanity.

-IMF

jaden10
August 2nd, 2005, 12:40 AM
Being I am the one that is oh so positive, I honestly don't see the human race making it that far. That is if we don't pull our collective heads out of our collective asses.

_Owen_
August 2nd, 2005, 06:34 PM
"You lot. You spend all your time thinking about dying. Like your going to be killed by eggs, or beef, or global warming, or asteroids. But, you never take time to imagine the impossible: that maybe you survive. This is the year 5.5/apple/26, 5 billion years in your future, and this is the day... hold on... this is the day the sun expands. Welcome to the end of the world."-- The Doctor.

There's nothing we can do that would destroy the planet. We can certainly wipe ourselves off the face of it if we set our minds to do so, but we can't destroy the planet, or even come close. Come the year quoted above, is when and how the Earth will likely meet it's terminus, but it will have nothing to do with humanity.

-IMF
We could very well blow up the planet, we simply remove mass from the Sun, and BOOM! Or we can blow up the core of the planet using extremly large amounts of anti-matter, once again BOOM!!!

Owen Macri

MarshAngel
August 2nd, 2005, 06:39 PM
All this talk of the end of the world in the distant future is making me quite pleased I'll be dead by then... I never thought that would be comforting. Thanks for making me feel better. :)

Osiris-RA
August 2nd, 2005, 06:40 PM
They can identify asteroids coming from a gazillion miles deep in space but they can't figure out a quick painless solution when a catastrophe is occuring right here on home base in good ol 2005?? *hint hint* :p

These scientists...always dreaming up the next crisis or doomsday...or causing it...:rolleyes:

*tch* Well, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to finish my novel before then...

_Owen_
August 2nd, 2005, 06:41 PM
Lol, you're welcome... I guess. Well, I will have to worry about it, I don't plan on ever dying. Oh well, we can just blow it up! That always works. Oh and we can video tape it, because no one good ever dies in movies!

Owen Macri

GatetheWay
August 2nd, 2005, 07:40 PM
2880 you say? Well, by then I'd cease to care. :p

briguy213
August 2nd, 2005, 07:57 PM
It would be exciting if the asteroid came sooner. Sometime in my lifetime. Could you imagine the excitement? My question is, Do you think that the goverment would let the public know if an asteroid that would obliterate half the world was gonna hit earth?

_Owen_
August 2nd, 2005, 08:05 PM
Of course not, they would keep it a secret, call up the Asgard and ask them to help us with thier big transporters and tractor beams and whatnot.

Owen Macri

Eoin
August 3rd, 2005, 04:44 AM
Of course not, they would keep it a secret, call up the Asgard and ask them to help us with thier big transporters and tractor beams and whatnot.

Owen Macri

Damm, I thought they would have brought atlantis back way before 2880 ;) ,
and by 2880 we would no enough about atlantis to use it to vapourize the asteroid. Or even better we would have used the ancients knowledge on ascensoin to ascend, and then we wouldnt have to worry about any asteroid,lol :p

nimitz
August 3rd, 2005, 07:06 AM
Eoin the asteroid could kill us when were all ascended muhahahaha.Who cares just fire a rocket at it with a nuke inside.The sooner the better less likely to get hit by any boulders from the explosion.But why should i care ill be long dead by then unless someone has a crogentic frezzer i could use.Please send me a message if you do.

IMForeman
August 3rd, 2005, 08:36 AM
We could very well blow up the planet, we simply remove mass from the Sun, and BOOM! Or we can blow up the core of the planet using extremly large amounts of anti-matter, once again BOOM!!!

Owen Macri

We have no ability to remove mass from the Sun, nor do we have the capacity to create even usefull amounts of anti-matter. I repeat: we have no ability to destroy the Earth... at least not yet, nor does it seem like we're likely to at any point in the near future.

-IMF

_Owen_
August 3rd, 2005, 06:54 PM
Sure we do we create a black hole near the sun, and we can create antimatter, it just takes A LOT of effort and money. But if we wanted to do it, we have the means.

Owen Macri

Taonas
August 3rd, 2005, 07:21 PM
Sure we do we create a black hole near the sun, and we can create antimatter, it just takes A LOT of effort and money. But if we wanted to do it, we have the means.

Owen Macri

That's very comforting...

Anyway, as for if the human race will be around in the year 2880 well I have no doubt... Now, whether or not Earth itself will be is the question. If my current theory pans out (which in one respect I hope it doesn't), the surface of the Earth will be essentially devasted from a massive explosion that wippes out the North American continent around the 2560's.

Long thing to do with technological research and thinking one thing is what it isn't... One thing leads to another and BOOM we have a giant crater in our planet and enough dust in the atmosphere to have a 100,000 + year long ice age.

You may now return to your normal broadcasting.

_Owen_
August 3rd, 2005, 07:30 PM
Lol sounds cool, but it would suck.

Owen Macri

Taonas
August 3rd, 2005, 07:39 PM
Lol sounds cool, but it would suck.

Owen Macri

Yeah, I mean the technology is amazing... Ever heard of Slipspace? Well I it's featured in several science-fictions like Andromeda (kinda) and Halo.

Anyway, the way it functions is by using the principle of particle density levels. At a p.d.l. of 100, you are in normal space, and the lower you go the shorter distances are crossed.

Basically we end up finding an engine of this on another planet and we actually think it's a power source of sorts. So we bring it back to Earth to study, and we eventually want to turn it on to fully measure it's power output. What we don't realize is that it's a slipdrive, so it ends up generating a slippoint straight into the ground (which as you can guess is a very bad thing) so the energy builds up and then just detonates. Creating an everlasting ice-age.

Luckily at this point we'd have off-world colonies. So that's my theory of things to come. Oh, and I've also put this into the story I'm writting so please do use any of this without my permission as it is Copyrighted.

August 4th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Well, by that point in time, we should easily be a Full type I civilization and, honestly, probably well on our way to if not a full blown type II. That's assuming we haven't killed off ourselves and most all life on the planet by then, of course. Dealing with a 1km across asteroid should be relatively simple for a type I civilization, even more so for a type II.

_Owen_
August 4th, 2005, 03:12 PM
I would say that is a reasonable estimation. I agree.

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
August 4th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Hmmm... Impending Doom, eh? At least I have a few years to think it over...

_Owen_
August 4th, 2005, 03:39 PM
You better think fast you only have 875 years. lol.

Owen Macri

gallywag
August 4th, 2005, 04:37 PM
hey owen want to make some antimatter im sure us2 combined we can come up with some thing or maybe we can blow our selfs up with zero point energy if we can tap in to it

IMForeman
August 4th, 2005, 04:56 PM

Owen Macri

No we don't... where are you getting this from? Our ability to create antimatter is minimal. We've barely been able to create any. You couldn't even make up a whole Pea with the amount we've created in our whole history. And Black Hole? We have no means of manipulating gravity at all except for the old fashioned way: add more mass. And there isn't enough mass in the whole solar system to create a black hole. Where would we get it from?

-IMF

_Owen_
August 4th, 2005, 05:02 PM
hey owen want to make some antimatter im sure us2 combined we can come up with some thing or maybe we can blow our selfs up with zero point energy if we can tap in to it
ABSO-FREAKIN-LOUTLEY! Ok, my house or yours?

lol.

Owen Macri

_Owen_
August 4th, 2005, 05:05 PM
But we have created antimatter, it is possible, it would just take time. We could also alter the orbit of the Earth so we fall into the Sun. That could destroy us. As for the black hole, we can just dial up the black hole planet and there you've got it!

Owen Macri

IMForeman
August 4th, 2005, 05:29 PM
But we have created antimatter, it is possible, it would just take time. We could also alter the orbit of the Earth so we fall into the Sun. That could destroy us. As for the black hole, we can just dial up the black hole planet and there you've got it!

Owen Macri

1.) Yes, we have and continue to create antimatter: in minute quantities. Our current production rate is about 1 to 10 nanograms a year. So, to create even a gram of Antimatter at our most optimistic rate would take 100,000,000 years at our current rate. Barring the development of a substantially better production method, or finding an accessible natural source, we won't really have enough of the stuff to be sweating about.

2.) No, we can't alter the orbit of the Earth. We have nothing that could produce anywhere near enough thrust to knock Earth out of orbit toward the sun, and that would be a pretty impressive piece of engineering just to commit suicide.

3.) We're talking real physics here.

I repeat: We do not have at this time any means to destroy the Earth.

-IMF

_Owen_
August 4th, 2005, 05:40 PM
OOOH At this time! Well give me a while it is late but I am sure I will come up with something. Don't you worry.

Owen Macri

Darkstar
August 5th, 2005, 02:12 PM
ohh a day of eternal rest, sounds a little lonely being blown up and drifting away in space on fragments of earth, still you wouldn't have to have boarders or checkpoints for imigrants or illegal trade.

well at least human kind will go on if the earth and all humans of earth get destroyed, the chances of humans evolving on other planets is well im not sure but its like this.

at the present time there could well be over 146 billion on various other worlds who are more of less human (i belive the term is terran as human is the name given to the people of earth) so whatever the others call themselves is unknown but we wont be missed, so if those calculations pan out that would mean the odds of other truely alien lifeforms out there depend on how each of them evolve and how big the universe actually is.

thats a nice thought i wonder if if we have ever been visited by humans from other planets, i mean its not beyond reason to assume it may well be going on but im not one of those conspirocy people im sure we have been visited by benevolant and friendly aliens.

that was said to me and i find it intrigueing to think that there could be a planet so much like earth or other humans develping in their own little way that differs to ours. :D

_Owen_
August 5th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Lol, no you have it the other way around, Terran and Earthling, is the name given to people of Earth. Human is the name given to our species. lol.

Owen Macri

Darkstar
August 5th, 2005, 02:31 PM
why yes it is or is it!!

but others will go by different names so the name human will not necesserally apply to other humans they may call us for example troks if their name was troks and we of course call ourselves humans it does present a little problem the name will have to be revised to aplly to all humans or terrans whatever they are knowns as, is a matter of prespective isnt it.

oww my head hurts already and its not even the am's yet. :S

TechnoWraith
August 5th, 2005, 03:24 PM
In 800yrs our tech will be sooooo much better.
Does anyone think that we will have any tech that resembles tech on stargate to deflect the asteroid in the yr 2880 if it is gonna impact earth

I think we will have something like the tollans ion cannons to vapourize the asteroid. or at least space ships that can tow the asteroid away from earth.

Thoughts and opinions anyone

880 years from now, we'll have built our very own planet-sized stargate (or at least nagged one from the Ori) . By then, we can just pop open the gate, and let the asteroid go through the gate to where ever. And the earth won't have any problems. :D :p

_Owen_
August 5th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Lol, that could work, but it seems to simple.

Owen Macri