PDA

View Full Version : zatn'ktel

camulus13
July 28th, 2005, 06:59 PM
the zatn'ktel (or zat gun) is proboably the coolest gun around. who is with me?

_Owen_
July 28th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Well, I would say the P90 is the coolest gun around. But as for alien gun, it is definetly up there. As for functionality, it has a significant variety of uses. It is a logical gun to use, not to mention, it does look cool, I can't disagree with you there.

Owen Macri

cozzerob
July 29th, 2005, 05:29 AM
I'd have to agree with Owen - the P90 is an excellent weapon - right up there with the uzi, MP5 and AK's. It's just classy, easy to use, large magasine, armour piercing rounds, super light, only 50cm long, etc, etc, etc...

That said - the zat gun is cool too - not a functional - but still cool. Good for non-lethal ops and that's about it...

_Owen_
July 29th, 2005, 07:07 AM
The P90 is also very practical, many times it has been clasified under, the weapon of the future. It can pierce over 200 layers of kevlar at its maximum effective distance. As well it is the only gun with that handset (the way you hold it) I personally find that really cool.

Owen Macri

immhotep
July 29th, 2005, 08:21 AM
i have to say that the P-90 is the best gun, the perfect weapon IMO, looks great and really effective in combat, at least off world, really surprized it snt used more, i could imagine SWAT teams using it really well; as for the zat :) i lov the gun, its the best weapon on SG that isnt human, cept maybe the ion cannon(the way it moves when firing is cool). :D

Hermiod
July 29th, 2005, 08:52 AM
It's difficult to even compare the P90 to the Zat as they have entirely different applications. The P90 is for direct combat while the Zat is more of a weapon yielded in stealth missions. Both are equally awesome in their own right.

Atlantis_Man
July 29th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Zats the way ah huh a huh I love them ah huh ah huh

Hermiod
July 29th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Zats right!

Anubis345
July 29th, 2005, 09:32 AM
i agree but if i wanted to stop an army of jaffa i think that i would prefer to have a p-90 in my hands than a Zat but then i could have the Zat as my back up gun when the p-90 runs out of clips. :D

nimitz
July 29th, 2005, 09:50 AM
zats are amazing but the p90 is not really that good.Armour piercing bullets in special operations is a bad idea because the bullets would go through walls which could then damage civilians but offworld it would be good. Anyway zats are amazing the best alien weaponary by far. I wish i had 1(grumbles and walks away).

camulus13
July 29th, 2005, 01:06 PM
the zat gun is better than a p-90 cause a p-90' s bullets will ricotche and a zat's "bullets" will only asorb into the wall

valha'lla
July 29th, 2005, 03:52 PM
The Zat is a great weapon as is the P-90 can use it in either hand and its got a decent sized clip. As for which is better they have their advantages and disadvantage but in the end "one shot kill" and automatic for the P-90 verses "2 shot kill" and "semi automatic" although the Zat makes really cool sounds when firing and arming. I'd say it is the best side arm that we have seen so far.

mightydefiant
July 29th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Both, zat in one hand, p90 in the other one.

cozzerob
July 30th, 2005, 10:33 AM
zats are amazing but the p90 is not really that good.Armour piercing bullets in special operations is a bad idea because the bullets would go through walls which could then damage civilians but offworld it would be good. Anyway zats are amazing the best alien weaponary by far. I wish i had 1(grumbles and walks away).

What you say has some truth to it. For example, when the SAS are planning their hostage rescue misions they must choose the ammo they use very carefully so that it goes into the terrorist, but not the innocent.

However, the rounds that the P90 uses are designed to pierce armour but tumble inside the body, ie, for the most part they stay inside and do more damage than the average bullet. So P90's are ok for civvy missions.

That said - zats are plain cool. And i love the non-lethal aspect. Still - our taser guns are getting better...

nimitz
July 30th, 2005, 12:15 PM
What you say has some truth to it. For example, when the SAS are planning their hostage rescue misions they must choose the ammo they use very carefully so that it goes into the terrorist, but not the innocent.

However, the rounds that the P90 uses are designed to pierce armour but tumble inside the body, ie, for the most part they stay inside and do more damage than the average bullet. So P90's are ok for civvy missions.

You are probaly correct about the p90 but i heard that in special forces that used it.Stopped using it for that exact reason i said and other reasons like it being difficult to handle especially in split second reactions.But anyway zats are possibly the perfect handheld weapon. I have not seen any recoil involved when fired but i am not sure about that.

cozzerob
July 31st, 2005, 08:00 AM
difficult to handle??? I doubt it, but I couldn't say for sure having never used it (at all or in combat...). Still - I'm sure you can find other ordinance that will work with is and won't be too powerful (the normal round the P90 uses is supersonic - so very powerful). However, there is a special sub-socin round that was made that can be used with the P90's silencer, so maybe they could have used that instead?

Out of interest, where did you get your information and did it mention which special forces in particular and which weapon they choose instead/the type of ordinance too. It's just that it occurs to me that possibly they are so used to pistol grips that they found the p90's unconventional grip hard to get used to?

Loaf
July 31st, 2005, 08:06 AM
Zats are cool i could attack the chavs on my housing estate with one :D

cozzerob
July 31st, 2005, 08:10 AM
with you all the way on that one. But i wouldn't be shooting them once with it ;) - or two. three shots gets rid of the messy bodies...

Loaf
July 31st, 2005, 10:37 AM
definatly 3

maybey i should have 2 zats after i've finished with the chavs i could go after all the yardies :D

cozzerob
July 31st, 2005, 12:04 PM
how many ppl do you want to kill?! +can't you do that with a normal weapon, or is it just infinately more stylish with a zat gun (cos I think so ;))

Loaf
July 31st, 2005, 12:29 PM
i hate the yardies becasue they tried to mug me, an if i zat them all they'll be no evidence what so ever :D

An i keep a revenge list with 450 names on it so i'll be zatting alot of people

Heru'urs_first_prime
August 1st, 2005, 04:41 AM
you know that theres a bigger version of the staff weapon?...........wel they should make a bigger 2 handed version of the Zat'n'ktel! - owch!

mightydefiant
August 1st, 2005, 07:15 AM
you know that theres a bigger version of the staff weapon?...........wel they should make a bigger 2 handed version of the Zat'n'ktel! - owch!
If it was still 1 hurt 2 kill 3 disinagrate. Then I don't see a point in a bigger zat.

nimitz
August 1st, 2005, 12:44 PM
cozzerob you seem to be correct about the p90.The small zats may not be able to send a large enough supply of energy for a 1 shot kill ,so a bigger one might be more effective.

Loaf
August 1st, 2005, 12:48 PM
i think a Zat rifles a great idea :D

nimitz
August 1st, 2005, 01:02 PM
so do i

mightydefiant
August 1st, 2005, 02:04 PM
That would be a neat sight.

nimitz
August 1st, 2005, 02:08 PM
if it could be automatic.just thinking about it makes me smile in a manic way.

_Owen_
August 1st, 2005, 06:00 PM
All you have to do, is backwards engineer a Zat gun, find out how it creates the blast, and what components it posesses, and then you should likely be able to create a fully automatic version. Oh, and you could make it look like a P90 for effect!

Owen Macri

nimitz
August 2nd, 2005, 01:00 PM
But a zat is well beyond our level of knowledge and secondaly were having difficulties on felgers energy weapon let alone a handheld energy weapon which can destroy every molecule in someones body

_Owen_
August 2nd, 2005, 01:09 PM
Yes, but all we have to do is take it apart and examine it, Area 51 would LOVE that job!

Owen Macri

nimitz
August 2nd, 2005, 01:36 PM
But it could be like the ion cannon. It cant be reverse enginered.

_Owen_
August 2nd, 2005, 01:37 PM
No, with enough understanding of the technology I am sure anything can be reverse engineered, and a Zat is not to complicated, relativley speaking.

Owen Macri

cozzerob
August 3rd, 2005, 12:53 AM
yes - (for the most part) all things can be reversed engineered. obviously it becomes more tricky with more advanced tech, and tech based on foreign principles, ie, the tollan tech is based on their understanding of the universe which is far superior to ours.

However, if you really must reverse engineer a particular item, all you really need to do is replicate every componant and built another. That method takes much more time cos you have to analyze and replicate, whereas if you understand the tech it's easier. Another thing I should point out thou is that the production order is probably important. For example we know that coka-cola coke has a special secret ingredient. however, even if you knew it, it doesn't mean you could make coke like the original. The way it's made is very important too.

Also, like Owen said, relativly speaking and compared to other tech we've sussed out, the zat is very basic.

cozzerob you seem to be correct about the p90.The small zats may not be able to send a large enough supply of energy for a 1 shot kill ,so a bigger one might be more effective.

True, one shot might not be enough but that's part of the plan, a non-lethal solution, which can be used with killing force if needed. I'd be more worried about the whole molecular disintergration idea. If one shot,s not even enough to stop the heart (and even the smallest levels of electricity can stop the heart when applied directly, ie, by a zat blast penetrating the whole body), then how the hell is two more going to disintergrate. kill I can deal with cos they alter you bio-electric field, but 3 to disintergrate - not gonna happen. That's probably why we havent seen any disintergration for ages.

Oh - +don't worry about it, guns are an interest <cough - obsession> of mine. But i'm not a violent person... really i'm not ;)

i think a Zat rifles a great idea

I agree too - they would be excellent. And I like the idea of making it look like a P90, kind of like the intars (now those are cool!). I would love an p90 intar...

nimitz
August 3rd, 2005, 06:54 AM
No, with enough understanding of the technology I am sure anything can be reverse engineered, and a Zat is not to complicated, relativley speaking.

Owen Macri
Maybe it isnt very complicated ,maybe it is.And i am sure area 51 would like to study anti-capital cannons more.Though they may not for all i know.

nimitz
August 3rd, 2005, 06:54 AM
True, one shot might not be enough but that's part of the plan, a non-lethal solution, which can be used with killing force if needed.
I meant with the zat rifle because people can still fight after a zat shot and could have a different mode for stunning.I think this would be far superior to current zats.

_Owen_
August 3rd, 2005, 07:31 PM
I am sure Area 51 would like to study a lot of stuff!

Owen Macri

valha'lla
August 4th, 2005, 07:55 AM
lol yeah like ancient drones and alot of other ancient stuff from atliantis. I think at the mo this would take priorty, also i think Zats beams r quite slow so easly doggable at range so would it make an effective rifle? But its a cool idea espcially if u made it like a P-90 with power setings kill a wraith in a single shot would would be usfull

cozzerob
August 4th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Technically speaking, zat beams are rather crap. Goa'uld's with hand devices don't even need the shield to deflect them, they can just do the whole blast effect (like in 'Double Jeopardy') to dissapate the energy. so even if the goa'uld doesn't have the shield generator device on the hand device, you r still screwed if you attack them with a zat.

that said the occasional ineffectivness if ofset by the overwhelming coolness of the zat.

_Owen_
August 4th, 2005, 12:15 PM
I would have to agree that a Zat against a hand device is not a fair match up. However, a really freaking cool P90 is deffinetly something that I would want!

Owen Macri

mightydefiant
August 4th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Owen, from what I read in the gun thread, anything gun with the label p90 would get excited to have.
I too would like to see a zat-p90. And it would work like they did in Lost City II.

_Owen_
August 4th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Lol, I want a P90 with every possible weapon integrated into it, it is the COOLEST gun!

Owen Macri

nimitz
August 4th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Donesnt the p90 have the ability to add an intar to it.That would get rid of any need for a zat.You could zat'em after to make sure after using the intar.

_Owen_
August 4th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Good thinking, the only thing is I would want it to be smaller, and have a switch to change modes!

Owen Macri

camulus13
August 4th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Donesnt the p90 have the ability to add an intar to it.That would get rid of any need for a zat.You could zat'em after to make sure after using the intar.

yes. the p-90 proboably has a limit. adding a zat or any other part could disable it or make it unstable

_Owen_
August 4th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Ya, but then we have Carter and now the Asgard to sort out all of the bugs! lol.

Owen Macri

mightydefiant
August 4th, 2005, 06:59 PM
We could have the p90 hold 2 clips, one normal, and one intar. Then to change type, just change the clip.

yes. the p-90 proboably has a limit. adding a zat or any other part could disable it or make it unstable
The p90(I think) did have the kull kill gun attached to it in Lost City II. So if one (Carter) adds it right, it will work fine.

_Owen_
August 4th, 2005, 07:23 PM
I would like a P90 but with every possible function and shoots any type of ammo, the Asgard might be able to help.

Owen Macri

cozzerob
August 5th, 2005, 05:56 AM
the asgard are technologically advanced - they're not magicians.

Look, weaponry, guns and ballistics facinates me, as i've said before, it's an obsession of mine. And I agree with you, the p90 is a truely awe inspiring gun. But you've got to calm down! it's only a gun. Don't forget, these things inevitably kill ppl (often bad ppl, but still ppl).

that said, the p90 does rock...

mightydefiant
August 5th, 2005, 11:32 AM
I would like a P90 but with every possible function and shoots any type of ammo, the Asgard might be able to help.
With every possible function, how will you decided one witch one to use?
And how would the Asgard help? Thor said that they never made projectial(sp) guns.

_Owen_
August 5th, 2005, 12:58 PM
I would just turn them all on all the times something would blow up, I'd laugh, lol.

No, I would probably just stare at it for hours, obvesrving it's overwhelming natural coolness. lol.

Owen Macri

_Owen_
August 5th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Lol, yes you are right, but I would keep mine safley under my pillow, hold it for no reason and maybe go to a firing range sometimes!

Yes, P90s do rock. YAAA!!!

lol.

Owen Macri

_Owen_
August 5th, 2005, 01:06 PM
YAY, it is a time dialation effect again!!!

Owen Macri

mightydefiant
August 5th, 2005, 01:53 PM
What would you do if they never invented the p90?
And I had to post before Owen has 4 in a row.

_Owen_
August 5th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Oh it's hard to say, I would probably admire it for a while, then hold it, then admire it, then shoot something, back to the admiring, under my pillow, sleep, dreams about it, wake up, more admiring, then a whole lot of shooting. lol, at a firing range. No I would probably just hold it, because it is so cool.

Owen Macri

mightydefiant
August 5th, 2005, 03:36 PM
You would admire a gun never invented?
And as I was loading this web site, I read an artical about Michelle Branch and her girl, Owen. How does it feel to be born into the world Owen?

_Owen_
August 5th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Of course, if it is cool enough of course.

IT FEELS GREAT! It's like I have been given life again! lol.

Owen Macri

cozzerob
August 7th, 2005, 09:51 AM
You know, although alot of ppl sleep with guns under their pillows, and I will too some day, it's a very dangerous habit. If the gun does go off it could blow your face off, or kill you...

I advise keeping your gun under the bed and keeping a knife under the pillow - much safer. Just make sure you know how to use both weapons properly, or you might as well give the intruder the weapon and ask to be shot/stabbed repeatedly.

So remember, be secure, but be safe too...

_Owen_
August 7th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Well, you can always put the safety on.

Owen Macri

cozzerob
August 7th, 2005, 10:06 AM
cough - splutter. I cannot believe you just said that!!!

A loaded gun is always ready to fire, and must be treated asuch. The safety is just a counter measure to stop silly accidents, but leaving a gun loaded and, after putting the safety on, assuming it will be safe is a very, very bad idea. That's how accidents happen...

I wouldn't mind so much, but the forums would be so dull if everyone on them started to die cos their guns went off accidentally as they slept!

_Owen_
August 7th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Ok, how about a compromise? You keep the gun under your pillow but you keep your ammunition on your night table.

Owen Macri

cozzerob
August 7th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Slightly less dangerous when it come to accidents, but you could forget to unload your gun fully, then bang and bye bye Owen...

also, if you're keeping to ammo next to you on the table, you're just asking to have it stolen and used against you.

I will have to stand by what I said previously, knife under pillow (in a holster-like thing for knives {can't remember the word at the mo...}) and gun under bed.

WraithWarrior
August 7th, 2005, 01:57 PM
There are a lot more cooler and better functioning and looking guns that are man made like the P90 and the MP5, but it is the best looking alien hand gun around.

I mean, it looks really kool when it opens and shoots and the design is very attractive as well. It would also bea very good functional weapon of choice on a mission because of the settings that it has. How many guns have the ability to choose between stun, death and disintegration?

_Owen_
August 7th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Well you could always buy a kevlar case, it would have to be incredibly thick though, because a P90 can easily pierce 200+ layers of kevlar at its' maximum effective range. So perhaps kevlar isn't a good idea. Ok, if your bed is next to a wall on one side, like mine, you can put a gun rack on the wall, it would obviously be customized, and your gun could just clip in.

Owen Macri

mightydefiant
August 7th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Or place the gun on your headboard, mine has a shelf.
If you do put the gun under your pillow, would the p90 be a little big to be comfortable?

_Owen_
August 8th, 2005, 06:26 PM
You could just use several pillows! lol, well if I get a P90 I am trying it for at least one night, unloaded. lol.

Owen Macri

cozzerob
August 9th, 2005, 02:05 AM
gdgd - i like that unloaded. very wise Owen. Cos accidents happen, and like I said, we don't want to lose gateworld members in unfortunate accidents with their favourite guns... That would make quite a story tho!

mightydefiant
August 9th, 2005, 11:16 AM
we don't want to lose gateworld members in unfortunate accidents with their favourite guns...
And that might be alot too. So much that GW might have to close, and no one here wants that!

_Owen_
August 9th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Lol, ya, well if GateWorld couldn't afford anymore bandwidth and were getting lots of members they could hold an "Internation Sleep With Your Loaded Gun Under Your Pillow With The Saftey Off Pointed At Your Head With Your Finger On The Trigger Day" lol, ISWYLGUYPWTSOPAYHWYFOTT Day, that would suck. lol.

Owen Macri

mightydefiant
August 9th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Yes it would suck, as every one who doesn't want to do it will have to say "ISWYLGUYPWTSOPAYHWYFOTT" three times fast!

_Owen_
August 9th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Lol, good luck! I had trouble typing once!

Owen Macri

zats
August 11th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Moi!

:p

_Owen_
August 11th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Lol, it is a very cool gun, but the P90 is much cooler! In my oppinion, however the Zat is deffinetly up there.

Owen Macri

zats
August 11th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Oy! zats:
a. Need no ammo
b. Will not kill w/ only one shot
c. Most definitely kill w/ two shots
d. Neatly disintegrate the unlucky recipient w/ three
e. Are handily reliable (did you ever hear of a zat jamming? I think not)
f. Also work as lockpicks
g. Make less noise (well. The gun doesn't. The author is quite the opposite)
h. Make people do the twitchy dance
i. Are cleaner (no icky sticky blood'n'guts)
:P

Lord ┬žokar
August 11th, 2005, 07:59 PM
j. Have abysmal ergonomics
k. Cannot possibly be aimed
l. Must run out of ammunition eventually
m. Don't kill on the first shot no matter where you hit a person

mightydefiant
August 11th, 2005, 09:17 PM
n. alien tech, not human made
o. limited suply of them as humans don't make them
p. don't work on replacators, even with 3 shots
q. atlantis crew doesn't have any

cozzerob
August 12th, 2005, 03:40 AM
r. absolutely terrible for stealth missions. Not very discreet to have bright blue energy waves streaming through the air.
s. particularly awful for night time stealth missions - glowing bright blue energy waves are bound to catch ppl's attention.
t. actualy, they are rather noisy. Do you never listen to the loud 'zap' sound with every shot. Silenced guns are much better.

nimitz
August 12th, 2005, 10:15 AM
u.Doesnt look as cool as the p90
v.the bolt is subsonic.
w.only good in short range combat.

_Owen_
August 12th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Actually technically, the Zats do need ammunition it is simply the power cell used to provide the zat with energy.

x. DEFINITLY not as cool as the P90
Y. No where near as cool as the P90
z. Would be killed by the P90, because of its' overwhelming coolness.

lol.

Owen Macri

zats
August 14th, 2005, 06:50 PM
OKAY! OKAY! I bow to your overwhelming numbers [NOT your logic]!

And I hate to break this to ya, guys, but 'coolness' is a general term used when expressing opinions. ZATS are cool, IMO.

:p

mightydefiant
August 14th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Logic is illogical! And I say the p90 is cooler! But a P90zat would be coolest!

captain keys
August 14th, 2005, 08:00 PM
the p90zat sound cool but if i hade to take some one out id choose the zat so not to kill them

nimitz
August 15th, 2005, 03:33 AM
And then you walk past, they(zatted person) stand up and shoot you in the back lol.

zats
August 15th, 2005, 07:19 AM
A proper amount of caution would likely prevent that occurance. :P

[A caution which they don't seem to use on the show because, obviously, that wouldn't be nearly as funny].

EnigmaNZ
August 15th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Well my P-90 has got a Krull wrist blaster on one side, a repackaged Zat attached with selectable fire rate eg 1 or 2 or 3 discharges as rapid as it is able to, a laser range finder, image intensification / zoom optics, intuative fingertip controls to choose function, and makes a great cuppa coffee.

Maybe the Zat works by causing minor damage that shuts down the nervous system for a short time with the first shot and the body can heal itself from, the second extends the damage to the point that the body shuts down permanently, and the third, god, technobabble. The body can't be converted into energy, it would be like a nuke going off, if the body was vaporised, the heat put out would be rather noticable, if the electronic bonds were disrupted, causing molecular disassociation, hmmm, the body is mostly water, break the H2O bond, Anyone see a gas cloud after disruption. They could get transitioned into subspace, another dimension etc. A case on induced spontaneous combustion. I give up.

_Owen_
August 15th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Ya, well my P90, has every possible function, and I change between them using my mind.

Owen Macri

P-90_177
September 14th, 2005, 01:46 AM
As it was said before, it is impossible to decide between the two. The P90 is an automatic weapon put it has a limited clip size whereas the Zat never seems to run out and is good for covert missions. Then again there is a very good reason why the rebel Jaffa began using P90's even more than the Zat's and it ain't just because they didn't have enough. But since it is my namesake I would have to go with the P90... or the Zat...

Charles17
September 14th, 2005, 03:20 AM
i only skimmed through the top, but an automatic zat would be awesome... even though itd like vaporize whatevers in front of it if you hold the trigger down for more than a second...

EnigmaNZ
September 14th, 2005, 12:39 PM
I'd take the Zat apart and repackage the internals into something a little more standard issue, plus one in a tube that can attact to a P-90, with an autofire mode of 1 or 2 or 3 shots. Ah, and also attach one tube of the ubersoldier wrist gun, super P-90.

zats
September 23rd, 2005, 07:50 PM
zats are still the best.

They might be enviromentally friendly. All those explosions can't be good for local wildlife (the wildlife on the forested planets that look remarkably like the Pacific NW that SG-1 always seems to wind up on).

Ascended Times.2
September 23rd, 2005, 09:16 PM
Ah, good old Zats, all the stargate Rp's i'm....(Only one actually..hehe) Speciality is doubled Zats, never go wrong with Zats! :D