This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firing through a goa'uld's personal shield

Just a quick question that's bin buggin me for a while - it has become common knowledge that to fire through a goa'uld's personal defence shield (which is created by the ribbon device) is to use a tranquilliser dart. This is done in several episodes, ie, chimera, etc. However, O'neill tried this out on apophis in season 1 and it didn't go through.

Why not - why is there a discrepancy/ plot hole or have I just missed something that was said sometime that explains this. All your thorghts are much appreciated.
    "I have a B.A., M.D., Ph.D and B.Sc. Maybe one day I'll get a J.O.B."

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

"He who laughs last didn't get it."

did he fire from his ribbon divice to deflect it like osiris did in "the curse"

otherwise the writers have just screwed up which is what happens when their deprived of caffine

Comment

Originally posted by cozzerob
      O'neill tried this out on apophis in season 1 and it didn't go through.
      Can you name when this happened? Because I don't recall this.
      This is my sugnature!
      Spelled wrong so no one steals it!

Comment

Originally posted by mightydefiant
        Can you name when this happened? Because I don't recall this.
        It happened in 'The Nox'. To answer the original question, I think it was said if you reduce the kinetic energy of the tranquiliser dart then it would go through the shield (like the staff weapon) and they probably factored this into the other occasions ie. Chimera

Comment

In Nox, Jack is shooting the tranquiliser out of a gun. So it was fast enought for the shield to stop it.
          This is my sugnature!

Comment

Well, first of all the shield is not generated by the hand device, it is generated by a device on the hand device. an "accesory," if you will. We know this because not all hand devices have the shield attachment.

As for the real issue of this thread, in "The Nox" O'Neill wasn't aware that Apophis had a shield, let alone, that they exist, so when he tried shooting him, it didn't work, obviously. However, I believe in "Chimera" Osiris, used the hand device to deflect the tranquilizer, then Daniel just stabbed her with it, or something like that.

In response to mightydefiant. I am sorry, O'Neill fired the tranquiliser of of a tranquiliser gun. You can't fire a tranquiliser dart out of an MP5. To be truthfull it was actually a paintball gun that they modified and spray painted black and said was a tranquiliser gun.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
              In response to mightydefiant. I am sorry, O'Neill fired the tranquiliser of of a tranquiliser gun. You can't fire a tranquiliser dart out of an MP5. To be truthfull it was actually a paintball gun that they modified and spray painted black and said was a tranquiliser gun.

Owen Macri
              That is what I ment, tranquiliser gun. How did they stop Osiris in season 7, where Pete finds out about Sam's true job?
              This is my sugnature!

Comment

Oh ok, I appoligize. I actually can't remember. it was only like last year that I saw that but I can't remember to well, I think they got into a fire fight when Pete was there but I don't think I remember more than that.

Owen Macri

Comment

i always thought they should just get close enough to slowly stick the weapon into the shield and then start firing. even if all they had was a staff weapon, they should have poked it in and started firing...

Comment

They shot her like 3 times with a tranquiliser gun

Comment

For the Apophis thing, the nox saved him from being hit by the darts, and the rest of the goa'uld? They seem to have an unbelieveble resistance to the tranquilizer fluid. Although, Osiris (About he only goa'uld they ever wanted alive) mainly just blocked the darts with ribbon hand device, just making it bounce of the ribbon device

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles17
                        i always thought they should just get close enough to slowly stick the weapon into the shield and then start firing. even if all they had was a staff weapon, they should have poked it in and started firing...
                        Lol, that is so much easyer to say than actually do, the Goa'uld would have blasted you with their ribbon device before you could get near them, or their Jaffa (Whatever Jaffa wanna help the Goa'uld these days...) Or super soldiers would have blasted them into pieces...Although, i suppose it's possible, just unlikely

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                          Well, first of all the shield is not generated by the hand device, it is generated by a device on the hand device. an "accesory," if you will. We know this because not all hand devices have the shield attachment.
                          Actually, I think that the hand device made the field - not an accesory. I think this because every goa'uld with a hand device and seemingly nothing else is able to have a forceshield, ie, in 'the tomb' the goa'uld tiamat retrieves his hand device and protects himself from O'neills shooting.

I think you got the idea that the generator was an accesory because teal'c said he'd never seen a personal forceshield like that of apophis. However, this could be due to many other reasons, ie, it was an upgrade that caught on quickly (like the cloaking device on the cargo ships), or maybe he'd never seen it in action - until we showed up a goa'uld as powerful and protected as Apophis would rarely have shots fired at him. so the shield was almost certainly from the hand device.

So, other than Watters87's idea that they toned down the power of the tranq dart pistol for later encounters, all i can see is a massive gaping plot hole...

Oh and yes - it is true that Osiris used the hand device to deflect a tranq dart but that was by using the whole 'blaster' effect that the hand device can create (the one which sends ppl flying). But o'neil fired through the shield with a dart when her back was turned.

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

Comment

Plus we have seem many hand devices that do not have shields, as well, it apears that you are just able to control the field through the hand device, and this would be logical because the hand device is controled by the mind, so theoretically, truning something on and off, you be a cinch.

Owen Macri

Comment

When have we seen hand devices -shields (apart from the movie)?

Comment

Working...
                              X