This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BIG MacGyver departure

I was watching an episode of MacGyver the other day and there was a woman looking to bring him down - to what end, I don't know but she was creating a profile on him:

Artistic
    Environmentalist
    Supporter of the Handicapped
    Musical
    Intelligent

Does anyone know if RDA deliberatley wanted to distance himself from the MacGyver role by being the exact polar opposite from MacGyver?

O'Neill loves his guns and bombs, isn't really that smart. Isn't artistic - much, and to my knowledge, doesn't play an instrument.

Well, he doesn't really LOVE guns.

Remember that Jack's son accidently shot and killed himself with Jack's gun.

You see him around his house listening to classical music and playing chess with General Landry - and winning.

He's a very complex guy.

He's smart, artistic, and likes other stuff too.

Kind of reminds me of Patrick Stewart. He's a huge Beavis and Butthead fan

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
    Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

He has a telescope
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
        He has a telescope
        Yeah!

See?

Just because he doesn't go around making bombs out of a paperclip, a wad of gum and a pencil doesn't mean he's not smart or artistic.

Just kind of like... On Battlestar Galactica. Starbuck is kind of a hard ass and all military macho yet when she went to her place on Caprica you see that she paints.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
        Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Alien races like him - there must be some reason for that
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
            Alien races like him - there must be some reason for that
            What? Liking to shoot things and blow things up doesn't sound like a viable reason for peaceful alien races to like him?

Sheppard: Why does it smell like I'm on vacation?
            McKay: (proudly) Could it be the simulated tropical aroma of cocoa butter?
            Sheppard: Strong enough for anyone within five miles to smell you.
            McKay: Right, like they haven't been tipped off by the Aqua Velva?

Comment

Well for starters I don't think Jack is about RDA trying to be the opposite of MacGyver. Jack was never supposed to be a tender loving sweetheart. He's a military man, black ops and on that note the man is intelligent. He doesn't go around spouting quantum theory but he's solved some serious problems, gotten SG-1 out of many situations, and saved the world, with his practical intelligence and knowledge of how to handle a situation. And if you want MacGyver comparisons Jack's good with kids, and dogs. And when given a time loop he learned pottery, he didn't blow up NID headquarters. I think Jack is well rounded. And not as different from Mac as you'd think. For being opposites. After all Richard himself described them as one being the 'Right side' and the other the 'Left side' of his brain.
              Last edited by melpomene; 25 July 2005, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by melpomene
                Well for starters I don't think Jack is about RDA trying to be the opposite of MacGyver. Jack was never supposed to be a tender loving sweetheart. He's a military man, black ops and on that note the man is intelligent. He doesn't go around spouting quantum theory but he's solved some serious problems, gotten SG-1 out of many situations, and saved the world, with his practical intelligence and knowledge of how to handle a situation. And if you want MacGyver comparisons Jack's good with kids, and dogs. And when given a time loop he learned pottery, he didn't blow up NID headquarters.
                I agree. If you want to see RDA getting away from the Mac image a couple of his movies did that much better. In the Eyes of a Stranger and Through the Eyes Of a Killer were particularly big departures from the good guy image for him.

Shelly
                Shelly
                My Photos
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RDAfan61
                  I agree. If you want to see RDA getting away from the Mac image a couple of his movies did that much better. In the Eyes of a Stranger and Through the Eyes Of a Killer were particularly big departures from the good guy image for him.

Shelly
                  I would also add Beyond Betrayal to that list where he was about as un-MacGyver as you could get. He was pretty creepy in that one.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh
                    I was watching an episode of MacGyver the other day and there was a woman looking to bring him down - to what end, I don't know but she was creating a profile on him:

Artistic
                    Environmentalist
                    Supporter of the Handicapped
                    Musical
                    Intelligent

Does anyone know if RDA deliberatley wanted to distance himself from the MacGyver role by being the exact polar opposite from MacGyver?

O'Neill loves his guns and bombs, isn't really that smart. Isn't artistic - much, and to my knowledge, doesn't play an instrument.
                    MOHO is that the TV Jack isn't a polar opposite of Mac. RDA's Jack is different than KR's for sure. RDA definitely put his own spin on the character and made it his just like he did with Mac. But it's more like a matter of how many degrees apart they are, more like 45 degrees or 90 than a complete 180.

But I'd say 4 out of the 5 things you mentioned fit Jack to some degree:
                    Environmentalist: Fisherman
                    Musical: more of an opera and classic appreciator than player
                    Artistic: Pottery (WoO anyone? )
                    intelligence: Master's Degree in engineering, astronomy buff, knows a second language
                    Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                    My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Interesting that your signature banner has him with the telescope. In that episode, there was something of a departure with the O'Neill character.

See, in the first season, we learn O'Neill is into astronomy and knows terms like accretion disk (Children of the Gods, Singularity). But we see him again in season 6 in the episode Forsaken and Carter is explaining to O'Neill how a celestial event won't be visible until its dark. O'Neill seemed clueless.

Comment

The reason he acts clueless sometimes I think is so that everone will think he doesn't know to much. That way when a problem comes up not everyone is looking to him for a solution.
                        Thanks Jess for the Sig!

Comment

The best way to remain anonymous is not to draw attention to yourself
                          love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by RDAfan61

Shelly
                            Ooh--I'd like to see those. I like him much better as Jack--I was never a big Mac fan.

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh
                              See, in the first season, we learn O'Neill is into astronomy and knows terms like accretion disk (Children of the Gods, Singularity). But we see him again in season 6 in the episode Forsaken and Carter is explaining to O'Neill how a celestial event won't be visible until its dark. O'Neill seemed clueless.
                              Not clueless, just bored.

Oh, and having fun teasing Carter.

Comment

Working...
                              X