This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hyperspace Planning

While in hyperspace, can you crash? I mean, what exactly happens when you go into hyperspace? Otherwise you'd have to plan very carefully so as not to crash into a star.

Also, what's between galaxys? Giant voids?

In hyperspace I believe you arent in the universe technically. So there is nothing there... that we know of.

As far as I know there is nothing in between galaxys, although there could be some dust or something. Nothing relevant to say though

Comment

The concensus is, hyperspace is a seperate layer of space, no matter occupies it permanantly, so you would likley not crash, however, other ships in hyperspace would be a problem.

Yes, between galaxies there are just giant voids.

Owen Macri

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can crash into other ships while in hyper space, because in one ep Thor was going to self distruct his ship in order to destroy a replicator ship, whiloe in hyper space

Comment

and gravity effects hyspace aswell as we have seen it damaging the prommie

well overloading the buffer but whatever

Comment

theory:

in the far flug future of earth humans manage to utilise hyperspace/subspce to to there own means to avoid crashing with another ship inside this realm they would have to sycronise the flight times of their ships or vessles to stop this, however if say an alien species who used this technology and had no dealings with humans did the same this causes problems they could crash into their ships and god lnows how many other ships from countless other alien planets doing the same.

if this technology or indeed this dimesion exists i would see it used primerily for communications accross the expanse of space instant communications and contac between planets would be the one thing that humans would benifit from most so at the present time radion transmisions are fast but hardly effitient and planets far into the galaxy would have a time lag of say 1000000 years thats not gona work humans could use normal space to travel to these worlds and set up this technology to ocupy distant stars in the universe but ship travel could be a little problem unless you had a means of detecting other objects in hperspce and commincating with them as to avoid certain destruction.
            For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Yes you can crash as Thor did
              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
              love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by ~Thor~
                I'm pretty sure you can crash into other ships while in hyper space, because in one ep Thor was going to self distruct his ship in order to destroy a replicator ship, whiloe in hyper space
                You are right, if you are in the same layer of hyperspace as another ship, you can crash into it, or even carry on a battle.

Owen Macri

Comment

layer of hyperspace? there are different layers?

Comment

Yes, as far as we have theorized. You see, hyperspace is smaller than regular space, but it is stretched to reach the same size, everything that enters it will be stratched, so you can travel a shorter distance, because the space is smaller, yet travel what would be a farther distance in regular space because hyper space is stretched. The deeper you go into hyperspace the smaller it gets. Each layer becomes progressivly smaller and stretched farther, so you can travel from point A to point B faster than in regular space. Eventually you get to the smallest layer of Hyperspace, which actually has a diffrent name, subspace, in subspace it is so small that you occupy everypoint at the same time, you take up all of subspace, subspace is stretched an incredible amount so you can enter subspace, turn around and exit, and you could exit on the other side of the universe, you just need a way to choose an exit point. I will draw up a picture for you.

Owen Macri

Comment

Sorry, I have to use the thumbnail because the image is too big, click on the tumbnail for a full sized picture.

Here you go, in this depiction hyperspace is ten times smaller than normal space, therefore ten times faster. Of course my picture is not to scale, I appoligze.

Owen Macri

Comment

Is hyperspace in another dimension? Like the folded cloth analogy and tesserring in "A Wrinkle in Time?"
                        Elando na coinya!

Comment

Not so much. Hyperspace is just another layer of our universe. It could be and many people may consider it another dimension, but it not necesarily is. See by dimension we signify reality, and we know there are infinite realities, so now we can assume that each of these or at least other alternate realities is its' own seprate universe, and seeing that hyperspace and subspace are just layers of the universe, it seems likley that these other dimensions/realities/universes would have them too. So, I would have to say, no Hyperspace is not another dimension, just a skewd section of our universe. The interesting thing is that hyperspace and regular space all occupy the same points hyperspace and subspace are all "in" our regular space.

Owen Macri

Comment

Remember in "Fail Safe" (517), they "rode" the asteroid in hyperspace for just a second and it safely passed through stuff in our universe... Yet in other episodes, there are indications that ships in hyperspace can collide with other ships in hyperspace. (OW!)

However, in "Red Sky" (505), the wormhole apparently goes through a star and affects it, so some forms of extra-dimensional travel is potentially unsafe when passing through super-dense/heavy or energetic bodies. The difference between wormhole and hyperspace travel is probably the difference between hyperspace and subspace.

I would imagine they'd be safe from colliding with most things in normal space, although where special relativity comes into play the rules probably change... I wouldn't want to pass too close to a dense rotating quasar or a black hole - you might not materialize in our galazy!
                            A top-secret government program involving instantaneous travel to other solar systems by means of a device known as a stargate. (Marty)
                            Sounds like a good idea for a TV show - if you're into that sort of thing. (O'Neill)

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                              The concensus is, hyperspace is a seperate layer of space, no matter occupies it permanantly, so you would likley not crash, however, other ships in hyperspace would be a problem.

Yes, between galaxies there are just giant voids.

Owen Macri
                              Yes I am going to throw my 2 pennies in for good measure.

Hyper space is just pretty much just phasing yourself out of our reality, and the reason I am saying phasing is because if you watch when a Asgard, Goa'uld ship and Promethius you will see if you look carefully normal stars just zipping by, so going on what I see you are partially phased out of our space time continum into hyper space. Which is good for numerious reasons, you can scan normal space for position, ships and what not.

And being you mentioned 'hyperspace planning" I am also going to assume you also meant plotting (point a to b), it's like planning a road trip, your going such and such speed and you want to get to such and such place. So you measure how far you are from destination point and you use the speed your going and or planning to go and you just go from there... I know it is more complex then that cause you need to avoid spacial anomolies so it doesn't damage your ship so......

And as for what is and isn't between galaxies, for the most part it is a void, but my money is also on Rouge planets that may have been thrown out of there orbits, and even rouge solar systems. And I would even say Galaxtic clusters, which ARE NOT galaxies, just mini blobs of planets.

Comment

Working...
                              X