This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Rail Gun Questions

Who made them? On one hand they seem really advanced like an energy weapon, and I just might remember someone saying the Asgard gave them to us for the Prommie but yet when col. Everett was talking about them it seemed like they were just regular old projectile guns that just went faster. He was talking about them so fast that I didn't even get what they were(I might not be up on the military ammunition lingo, but I do know what mach is and what rounds are). So what makes a rail gun a rail gun? Are they like half energy weapon/ half projectile? Did you see those fancy plastic or glass discs (I really don't know what their called, they kind of looked Asgard-ish) they put in the guns when they were setting them up? What were they? I know somebody knows. Right?!
    Oh! and how do they work?!
    Things I've learned about the Stargate Universe:
    1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.
    2. Don't shake hands with a Wraith.
    3. Whacko! are the Ori. It's their way or the hot way.

Simple, we made them. Even today in real life we have rail guns. The rail gun is not an energy weapon, they give that illusion, but they are not. The reason they look like they fire energy is because they launch the projectiles at Mach five, they are moving incredibly fast, and in an atmosphere, they would superheat the gas around them, converting it to plasma, which would help with the illusion. As well, they move incredibly fast, so they could be moving fast enough to blur the image to apear stretched, so the plasma, making it apear as energy, and the fast speeds bluring the image, and stretching it would create the illusion of an energy burst.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
      Simple, we made them. Even today in real life we have rail guns. The rail gun is not an energy weapon, they give that illusion, but they are not. The reason they look like they fire energy is because they launch the projectiles at Mach five, they are moving incredibly fast, and in an atmosphere, they would superheat the gas around them, converting it to plasma, which would help with the illusion. As well, they move incredibly fast, so they could be moving fast enough to blur the image to apear stretched, so the plasma, making it apear as energy, and the fast speeds bluring the image, and stretching it would create the illusion of an energy burst.

Owen Macri
      they have tracers duh

Comment

Simple, we made them. Even today in real life we have rail guns.
        Owen Macri
        WoW! So are some of them being used in the military today or are they just tied up in a lab somewhere?
        Do you know what those plastic Asgard-ish things were or are you thinking?
        Or you have NO idea what I'm talking about. That's always a possibility
        Last edited by !Dorentus!; 20 July 2005, 11:04 PM.
        1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.

Comment

Even today in real life we have rail guns.
          i didn't think we do, though i know the U.S. Navy is working on them i didn't think they had a working prototype yet

Comment

To tell you the truth, I can only assume that the military is using them, but I can't be sure, all I know is, they exist.

As for the plastic asgardish things, I have no idea what you are talking about, were they inserted into the rail gun? If so, they probably contained the ammunition. If you could give me a scene when they were shown, I can go and quickly run through the episode to look, they were in "The Seige Part II" right? I just happend to watch that episode today, but I will go check it out, if you want.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by !Dorentus!
              WoW! so are some of them being used in the military today or are they just tied up in a lab somewhere?
              Do you know what those plastic Asgard-ish things were or are you thinking?
              Or you have NO idea what I'm talking about. That's always a possibility
              I think he is talking about the magazines, they are just ammo magazines and we made them duh

Comment

the military isn't using them yet. It's sweet technology, but the only place you could employ one would be on a ship because of the power requirements and what would the targets be then (figuring that missiles would take out enemy fighters/bombers). The Navy has employed a rocket-assisted cannon on their new destroyers that has a 60+ mile range.

a rail gun would be good for a sniper (as seen in Eraser), or for some sort of another infantry weapon....but the power required to generate the magnetic fields is simply too much to carry on the field in batteries or to make with a chemical reaction or portable generator.

-Chachi
                Hermiod: "Crap indeed!"

Comment

As for the plastic asgardish things, I have no idea what you are talking about, were they inserted into the rail gun? If so, they probably contained the ammunition. If you could give me a scene when they were shown, I can go and quickly run through the episode to look, they were in "The Seige Part II" right? I just happend to watch that episode today, but I will go check it out, if you want.

Owen Macri
                  Again thx for the help, I'm a curious guy. Well, yes they were in Part II, and I'm pretty sure they weren't ammo; they only stuck them in once b4 the battle ever started they didn't feed them in like a 50 cal. machine gun or whatever but the seen was I think just after Everett was showing Ford the specs of the city and then it goes into all these clips of them preparing for battle and that's where it is. It could be just before the first fight at night w/ the wraith.
                  1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.

Comment

Ok, I will check it out, I can't right now, because it is almost 2:00 in the morning here, but I will try to check it tommorow... or today.

I believe I know the device you are typing of, but I am not sure, so I'll check it out.

No problem, I am happy to help, any time, just ask!

Owen Macri

Comment

To be precise, a rail gun is a gun that uses a very different type of propulsion. Where a normal gun or rocket uses a chemical charge behind the projectile, a rail gun simply takes a magnetic projectile, and uses alternating charges along the barrel to launch and spin it. The main difference is that there is no friction, since the projectile doesn't even touch the barrel.

The main researcher of this technology I have heard of is the US Navy, trying to create a new type of ship-based artillery. NASA has also been rumored to be working on a large-scale rail gun sytem as a new launcher for orbiters.
                      Jack: I can't remember much, but I have these visions- A large man, with short sleeves and blue pants...

I think his name is...Homer, and he's very important to me...

Comment

Railgun info from Wikipedia
                        Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Newman
                          I think he is talking about the magazines, they are just ammo magazines and we made them duh
                          Could you describe what these magazines would look like so I can rest assured that that is what I saw? PLZ, THX
                          1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.

Comment

Originally posted by !Dorentus!
                            Could you describe what these magazines would look like so I can rest assured that that is what I saw? PLZ, THX
                            FYI: The round goes in the clip. The clip goes in the magazine. The magazine feeds the weapon.

That is a clip of railgun ammo from The Seige II. Not the best picture, but it's the best I could conjure.
                            Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Newman
                              they have tracers duh
                              no they dont...the slug just moves so fast it generates a purple color...

anyway these days electromagnetic railguns are in development. they fire a slug like mach 6 or 7 i think that can destroy a target without explosive aid.

Comment

Working...
                              X