PDA

View Full Version : Walter = Radar

Avenger
July 17th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Anyone else pick up on this. It was pretty obvious in Avalon that they were playing on that a little bit in the scene where Landry was asking Walter for something and he answered over the intercom.

Looking back, do you think someone, like RDA, might have started calling him Walter because he also looks a little bit like Gary Burghoff of M*A*S*H fame?

sherlock21b
July 17th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Anyone else pick up on this. It was pretty obvious in Avalon that they were playing on that a little bit in the scene where Landry was asking Walter for something and he answered over the intercom.

Looking back, do you think someone, like RDA, might have started calling him Walter because he also looks a little bit like Gary Burghoff of M*A*S*H fame?

LOL! Glad I wasn't the only one. As soon as I saw that scene, I thought the SGC had managed to appropriate Radar from the 4077th :) . I don't think he physically reminded me of Gary Burghoff, but the whole interplay screamed Radar/Col. Potter.

TheObiJuan
July 17th, 2005, 08:13 PM
hahaha, I noticed that too!
I love mash, and still watch it. :D

Agent_Dark
July 17th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Yep, Gary Jones (who plays Sgt. Harriman) talked about how they deliberatley played up the 'Radar from M.A.S.H' thing in Season 9 :)

Reefgirl
July 18th, 2005, 12:26 AM
I mentioned that some time ago, it was when I watched Zero Hour that I noticed a Colonel Blake/Radar thing going on between Jack and Walter, even my other half noticed, which is amazing for him

the fifth man
July 18th, 2005, 08:01 PM
I think it's great. Radar was a awesome character on MASH, and Walter has grown into much more than just "the chevron guy" over the course of this show. I thought it was great that he had some of the first lines in the premiere, and hope to see a lot more of him this season.

TheCorpulent1
July 18th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Absolutely, Walter is SG-1's Radar, which suits me fine. I'm a big Walter fan and I liked Radar as well, so it's great to see him getting his due. He has, after all, been with the SGC for 4 generals and a civilian now, so he knows how everything works as well as or better than anyone else. I hope they continue to play up the slightly antagonistic relationship between him and Landry, too. I love that sort of comedy.

Captain-Peregrine
July 18th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Oh, man! I am glad more people have noticed. I saw it in the episode in season eight when RDA had first become general of the SGC and Walter was always there telling him what he needed just before he needed it in Zero Hour Anyway, Radar was always my fav. character in M*A*S*H and I really love little Walter in Stargate. The Chevron Guy!

Willow'sCat
July 20th, 2005, 08:01 PM

But pretty much that was my take on the character from the start, someone at SG-1 must be a M*A*S*H fan.;)

TheCorpulent1
July 20th, 2005, 08:14 PM
I'd like to see him get involved with a mission somehow. Suddenly he is the center of attention after eight years on the series. That would be pretty funny.That'd be great. Felger got not one, but TWO episodes. Why not throw Walter a bone? ;)

the fifth man
July 21st, 2005, 02:57 AM
I'd like to see him get involved with a mission somehow. Suddenly he is the center of attention after eight years on the series. That would be pretty funny.

divcon
July 21st, 2005, 03:47 AM

When Jack called him Walter I thought "Yes it's perfect!". Of course Radar's real name is Walter O'Reilly, so it was just so oblvious. :D

Tomcatter
July 21st, 2005, 09:13 AM
Glad others noticed, I thought I was reaching, lol. Maybe Mitchell will be Hawkeye. ;)

Reefgirl
July 21st, 2005, 10:01 AM
Glad others noticed, I thought I was reaching, lol. Maybe Mitchell will be Hawkeye. ;)

I'd have thought Jack would have been Hawkeye and Daniel as BJ

Qasim
July 21st, 2005, 10:29 AM
So who is this radar guy?

Reefgirl
July 21st, 2005, 02:52 PM
Radar O'Reilly was the Company Clerk in M*A*S*H, he used to speak a split second before the CO did and could hear the choppers coming before anyone else, hence the name Radar

AGateFan
July 21st, 2005, 05:26 PM
I must voice my support for Walter. He is one of the best periphial characters in all of television. He plays a great Radar and I am hoping from more interaction with Landry.

One of the best parts about PU was when Hammond came to get Daniel, his chair and oh by the way Im taking Walter too. From Gate operator to Promethus Pilot Walter rules, too bad hes only a CMSgt otherwise he could have gotten command of SG-1 ;) Siler could have been his 2IC and Dr Lee could have been the technobable person... that would have been cool, the Ori wouldn't have stood a chance. :p

And BTW the Gary Jones should be involved in all of the DVD commetaries, the guy is hilarious.

divcon
July 21st, 2005, 06:38 PM
I'd have thought Jack would have been Hawkeye and Daniel as BJ

Here's my cast comparison list

Jack = Hawkeye ;)
Daniel = BJ :)
Jonas = Trapper :rolleyes:
Sam = Hotlips :cool:
Walter = Radar :)
Teal'c = Winchester :S
Siler = Klinger (OK I know it's a stretch but he has to be in it.) :eek:
George = Potter :)
Maybourne = Frank :D
Jacob = Father Mulkahey(?) :o

All right some don't exactly fit but come on I gave it a try. I haven't seen Avalon so I can't place the new people in. Sorry! :o

sg-1fanintn
July 21st, 2005, 06:39 PM
Well, Joe Mallozzi did say that S9 was being called "the season of Walter."

divcon
July 21st, 2005, 11:20 PM
Come on guys, come up with your M*A*S*H/STARGATE cast comparisons. :)

Reefgirl
July 22nd, 2005, 12:37 AM
Ok here's mine

Jack - Hawkeye
Daniel - BJ
Hammond - Col Potter
Sam - Hotlips
Davis - CE Winchester
Walter - Radar
Siler - Sgt Zale
Dr Lee - Klinger
Teal'c - Father Mulchay