Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any other sci-fi shows recreate themselves.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any other sci-fi shows recreate themselves.....

....much like what SG-1 is doing with season nine. For clarification, I mean recreating as in changing the dynamic of the show/ new cast members/new bad guy/ or departures of old cast. SG-1 did these all and Avalon seemed alright, especially since it was supposed to set up the characters and take all that necessary time.....it turned out quite good. Most importantly did any other sci-fi show succeed and last for a couple more years because of the recreation? (I know sitcoms could pull it off....any "Cheers" fans?)

....much like what SG-1 is doing with season nine. For clarification, I mean recreating as in changing the dynamic of the show/ new cast members/new bad guy/ or departures of old cast. SG-1 did these all and Avalon seemed alright, especially since it was supposed to set up the characters and take all that necessary time.....it turned out quite good. Most importantly did any other sci-fi show succeed and last for a couple more years because of the recreation? (I know sitcoms could pull it off....any "Cheers" fans?)

Comment

Earth:Final Conflict did. Not really sure why they did it, but after the first season (which ironically, was the best), the show went in a completely different direction

Out...

Comment

X Files, I guess. But it wasn't that successful, as I understand it (I'd personally lost interest and stopped watching long before it got to that point).

The British series Robin of Sherwood had to start from scratch when their leading man, Michael Praed, departed the show at the end of S2. It went on for another 13 episodes in S3 with Jason Connery as a new Robin. It was pretty successful, but then most of the original elements remained, they just had to explain why the old Robin died and how the new Robin was chosen. Well, that and spend most of the season's bplot line on setting up a new romance between the new Robin and Marion, letting her grieve for her old love for a while before falling in love with the new.

They did it pretty well. In fact, when I heard about the plot element in Avalon with the gang having disbanded and having to be brought together again by a new character, I immediately thought of RoS as they did it exactly the same way in their S3 premiere.

Oh and I know to the USers among us continuing for one more 13 episode season would probably count as a failure, but trust me - for a country whose PTB count 6 or even 3 (3 for goodness sake!!) episodes as a series, that amounted to a pretty good success! The first and second seasons of the show only ran to 5 and 6 episodes respectively.

Albion
        Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Deep Space Nine, once they introduced the Dominion.
          Apparently Enterprise, but I never got into that so I don't know specifics.

Comment

Originally posted by Excali5033
            Deep Space Nine, once they introduced the Dominion.
            They also added the already established DS9 character of Worf and amped up the role of the Klingons. Then they added a space-ship (the Defiant) to the mix. Even so, it wasn't as much of a change as has been made to SG-1.

Originally posted by Excali5033
            Apparently Enterprise, but I never got into that so I don't know specifics.
            Not really. There the characters remained the same and the stories/writing just got a whole lot better. Too late, though.

Comment

Doctor Who was pretty different when it came back in 2005 than it was in 1989, or in 1996.
              sigpic
              Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

Working...
              X