Third Earth Gate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third Earth Gate?

In S8, we see that Earth really has no replacement for the Stargate, especially after the Antarctic gate was destroyed by Anubis, and the Egypt gate the sole method of gate travel. However, I would like to know if anyone else has noticed the very real possibility of a third Gate in our system...

Hint: Seasons One and Two
    Jack: I can't remember much, but I have these visions- A large man, with short sleeves and blue pants...

I think his name is...Homer, and he's very important to me...

Originally posted by Quakerbone
    In S8, we see that Earth really has no replacement for the Stargate, especially after the Antarctic gate was destroyed by Anubis, and the Egypt gate the sole method of gate travel. However, I would like to know if anyone else has noticed the very real possibility of a third Gate in our system...

That gate was destroyed when the ship it was on blew up.
    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

I'm not sure, but who knows, there were two gates, why couldn't there be five?
      sigpic
      Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

When exactly do they say that?
        Jack: I can't remember much, but I have these visions- A large man, with short sleeves and blue pants...

I think his name is...Homer, and he's very important to me...

Comment

Originally posted by Quakerbone

While it is possible, it is highly unlikely that the writers would pick something up from that far back in the show's history. They are trying to make this as accessible as possible to new viewers. They have to be very careful when it comes to continuity; they don't want to alienate the loyal long-time viewers, but at the same time they do not wish to do the same to the possible new fans.

Originally posted by Jarnin
          That gate was destroyed when the ship it was on blew up.
          Not necessarily, we've seen the gates survive the effects of a black hole and being plunged into a sun (before it went boom), the Stargates are bloody hard to destroy. What makes you think one wouldn't be able to survive a tiny little explosion like that?
          ...Stargate is not about the angry nerd.

-David Hewlett,
          Gateworld Podcast Episode #8

Comment

Originally posted by ImmrtlofDrknss
            Not necessarily, we've seen the gates survive the effects of a black hole and being plunged into a sun (before it went boom), the Stargates are bloody hard to destroy. What makes you think one wouldn't be able to survive a tiny little explosion like that?
            Carter stated that the explosion of the ships would be amplified by the naquadah in the gate. That sorta leads me to believe that the gate didn't survive.
            Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Obviously their is one on the north pole.

Comment

Although I agree that the explosions from Apophis' and Klorel's ships don't seem like they should have been enough to destroy a gate considering what we've seen some gates survive, the fact that the gate has not activated since then seems to indicate that it is no longer an active, viable gate.

For instance, at times when both gates have been otherwise inaccessible, if the Klorel gate was still viable the wormhole would've connected to it. Also, I doubt that in all the time since S1 and S2, with all the ships that have come and gone from orbit of Earth, that no one noticed a naquadah signature floating around in Earth orbit. At the very least you would expect that Thor's ship would've detected something like that, or that the SGC would've asked someone like the Tok'Ra or the Asgard to scan for extra gate.

Comment

Originally posted by t1m8o
                  Although I agree that the explosions from Apophis' and Klorel's ships don't seem like they should have been enough to destroy a gate considering what we've seen some gates survive, the fact that the gate has not activated since then seems to indicate that it is no longer an active, viable gate.
                  If the DHD wasn't connected to said gate as it orbited the sun in the debris cloud of the two Goa'uld warship, would it be visible?

In "The Torments of Tantalus" we were shown a DHD can be partially destroyed and you can still gate TOO the planet, but if it's in orbit and disconnected from a DHD, might there not be a "safety protocol" that precludes gating to it?

Moreover, it might not be AT the designated coordinates. That explosion could have sent it on some bizarre eliptical orbit far from the coordinates of earth.

But I have to agree... the writers won't go back and use facts from a show that far back. I suspect that THIS season will probably try to establish some sort of firewall between it and those episodes that went before. Hence the death of Selmak, the removal of Anubis, and the defeat of the System Lords.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
                    If the DHD wasn't connected to said gate as it orbited the sun in the debris cloud of the two Goa'uld warship, would it be visible?

In "The Torments of Tantalus" we were shown a DHD can be partially destroyed and you can still gate TOO the planet, but if it's in orbit and disconnected from a DHD, might there not be a "safety protocol" that precludes gating to it?

We know from Atlantis that a free-floating gate, without a DHD can be dialed to without any sort of safety protocol. Remember, the Atlantis team sent a MALP through a space-based gate and lost it because they did not realize the gate was in orbit around a planet.

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
                    Moreover, it might not be AT the designated coordinates. That explosion could have sent it on some bizarre eliptical orbit far from the coordinates of earth.

But I have to agree... the writers won't go back and use facts from a show that far back. I suspect that THIS season will probably try to establish some sort of firewall between it and those episodes that went before. Hence the death of Selmak, the removal of Anubis, and the defeat of the System Lords.
                    You have a point with this, however, if it's not at the desired coordinates (meaning somewhere in the general vicinity of our solar system) then it doesn't qualify as a 'third Earth gate'.

Comment

there are 2 gates ok let me explane

gate1 the egypt gate first gate used to go abidos and where eva els

gate 2 the one found in antarctica

gate1 was taken aboard thors ship when the replicators came to earth (nemasis)
                      this was recovered by the russians

the antarctica gate was unpact and used at the sgc
                      the russians started there gate program with out egypt gate (gate 1)
                      the antarctic gate was destroyed by anubis's weapon in reconing
                      we then had the egypt gate put back to the sgc and have been using that since now we only have 1 gate
                      "only two things are infinate the universe and human stupidity and im not sure about the universe"

-albert einstein

Comment

yeah, we all are aware of this, just who are you responding to?

Comment

Would be interesting if the Gate had crashed on the moon or something or was in orbit of earth.
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by t1m8o
                            yeah, we all are aware of this, just who are you responding to?

all of it

the gate detonated about 20 million miles away because the x-302 it was on entered hyper space for a very short ammount of time
                            "only two things are infinate the universe and human stupidity and im not sure about the universe"

-albert einstein

Comment

Originally posted by gallywag
                              all of it

the gate detonated about 20 million miles away because the x-302 it was on entered hyper space for a very short ammount of time
                              Check out http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=12581 The 'gate was exploded "over three million miles away".

Also, what about Orlin's gate? Wouldn't that make four?
                              JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                              VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                              MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                              LANDRY
                              : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                              Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                              Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                              Mmm... Green...

Comment

Working...
                              X