PDA

View Full Version : Third Earth Gate?

Quakerbone
July 14th, 2005, 03:01 PM
In S8, we see that Earth really has no replacement for the Stargate, especially after the Antarctic gate was destroyed by Anubis, and the Egypt gate the sole method of gate travel. However, I would like to know if anyone else has noticed the very real possibility of a third Gate in our system...

Hint: Seasons One and Two

Jarnin
July 14th, 2005, 04:08 PM
In S8, we see that Earth really has no replacement for the Stargate, especially after the Antarctic gate was destroyed by Anubis, and the Egypt gate the sole method of gate travel. However, I would like to know if anyone else has noticed the very real possibility of a third Gate in our system...

That gate was destroyed when the ship it was on blew up.

Colonel Sharp
July 14th, 2005, 04:47 PM
I'm not sure, but who knows, there were two gates, why couldn't there be five?

Quakerbone
July 14th, 2005, 07:28 PM
When exactly do they say that?

ImmrtlofDrknss
July 14th, 2005, 07:44 PM

While it is possible, it is highly unlikely that the writers would pick something up from that far back in the show's history. They are trying to make this as accessible as possible to new viewers. They have to be very careful when it comes to continuity; they don't want to alienate the loyal long-time viewers, but at the same time they do not wish to do the same to the possible new fans.

Not necessarily, we've seen the gates survive the effects of a black hole and being plunged into a sun (before it went boom), the Stargates are bloody hard to destroy. What makes you think one wouldn't be able to survive a tiny little explosion like that?

Jarnin
July 14th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Not necessarily, we've seen the gates survive the effects of a black hole and being plunged into a sun (before it went boom), the Stargates are bloody hard to destroy. What makes you think one wouldn't be able to survive a tiny little explosion like that?
Carter stated that the explosion of the ships would be amplified by the naquadah in the gate. That sorta leads me to believe that the gate didn't survive.

briguy213
July 14th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Obviously their is one on the north pole.

t1m8o
July 15th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Although I agree that the explosions from Apophis' and Klorel's ships don't seem like they should have been enough to destroy a gate considering what we've seen some gates survive, the fact that the gate has not activated since then seems to indicate that it is no longer an active, viable gate.

For instance, at times when both gates have been otherwise inaccessible, if the Klorel gate was still viable the wormhole would've connected to it. Also, I doubt that in all the time since S1 and S2, with all the ships that have come and gone from orbit of Earth, that no one noticed a naquadah signature floating around in Earth orbit. At the very least you would expect that Thor's ship would've detected something like that, or that the SGC would've asked someone like the Tok'Ra or the Asgard to scan for extra gate.

Darth Buddha
July 15th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Although I agree that the explosions from Apophis' and Klorel's ships don't seem like they should have been enough to destroy a gate considering what we've seen some gates survive, the fact that the gate has not activated since then seems to indicate that it is no longer an active, viable gate.
If the DHD wasn't connected to said gate as it orbited the sun in the debris cloud of the two Goa'uld warship, would it be visible?

In "The Torments of Tantalus" we were shown a DHD can be partially destroyed and you can still gate TOO the planet, but if it's in orbit and disconnected from a DHD, might there not be a "safety protocol" that precludes gating to it?

Moreover, it might not be AT the designated coordinates. That explosion could have sent it on some bizarre eliptical orbit far from the coordinates of earth.

But I have to agree... the writers won't go back and use facts from a show that far back. I suspect that THIS season will probably try to establish some sort of firewall between it and those episodes that went before. Hence the death of Selmak, the removal of Anubis, and the defeat of the System Lords.

t1m8o
July 15th, 2005, 09:34 AM
If the DHD wasn't connected to said gate as it orbited the sun in the debris cloud of the two Goa'uld warship, would it be visible?

In "The Torments of Tantalus" we were shown a DHD can be partially destroyed and you can still gate TOO the planet, but if it's in orbit and disconnected from a DHD, might there not be a "safety protocol" that precludes gating to it?

We know from Atlantis that a free-floating gate, without a DHD can be dialed to without any sort of safety protocol. Remember, the Atlantis team sent a MALP through a space-based gate and lost it because they did not realize the gate was in orbit around a planet.

Moreover, it might not be AT the designated coordinates. That explosion could have sent it on some bizarre eliptical orbit far from the coordinates of earth.

But I have to agree... the writers won't go back and use facts from a show that far back. I suspect that THIS season will probably try to establish some sort of firewall between it and those episodes that went before. Hence the death of Selmak, the removal of Anubis, and the defeat of the System Lords.

You have a point with this, however, if it's not at the desired coordinates (meaning somewhere in the general vicinity of our solar system) then it doesn't qualify as a 'third Earth gate'.

gallywag
July 15th, 2005, 12:52 PM
there are 2 gates ok let me explane

gate1 the egypt gate first gate used to go abidos and where eva els

gate 2 the one found in antarctica

gate1 was taken aboard thors ship when the replicators came to earth (nemasis)
this was recovered by the russians

the antarctica gate was unpact and used at the sgc
the russians started there gate program with out egypt gate (gate 1)
the antarctic gate was destroyed by anubis's weapon in reconing
we then had the egypt gate put back to the sgc and have been using that since now we only have 1 gate

t1m8o
July 15th, 2005, 01:27 PM
yeah, we all are aware of this, just who are you responding to?

Elite Anubis Guard
July 15th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Would be interesting if the Gate had crashed on the moon or something or was in orbit of earth.

gallywag
July 15th, 2005, 04:41 PM
yeah, we all are aware of this, just who are you responding to?

all of it

the gate detonated about 20 million miles away because the x-302 it was on entered hyper space for a very short ammount of time

6thMonolith
July 17th, 2005, 11:10 AM
all of it

the gate detonated about 20 million miles away because the x-302 it was on entered hyper space for a very short ammount of time

Check out http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=12581 The 'gate was exploded "over three million miles away".

Also, what about Orlin's gate? Wouldn't that make four?:p

~Thor~
July 17th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Just fly Atlantis back to earth and then you got another one .

_Owen_
July 17th, 2005, 05:45 PM
I believe, you are thinking of "Small Victories" and "Enemies" where they beamed the Egypt gate up to Thors' ship. This gate was not destroyed, it was recovered by the Russians. As far as we know, there were only ever two Stargates on Earth, discounting the gate on Atlantis. It is entirley possible that there is another stargate, but we surley have not discovered it yet.

I have posted this in another thread, it basically, outlines the Earth Stargates, it took me a while to write, so I am just going to quote it.

"The Brief History of Earth Stargates."
(ooh, sounds exciting)

Millions and millions of years ago, maybe billions, I lost track after a thousand, The Ancient devised a network of devices that would be placed around the Milky Way galaxy, these devices would allow quick transportation between planets, they would be called... something in ancient, however translated to English they are called... Stargates.

Earth was one of the first planets to recieve a gate it was place in what is now known as Antarctica, along with an ancient outpost, like Sheppard, ancients like Antarctica, hey does anyone see a conection.

For millions of years this gate was used both by the ancients before they ascended to higher beings and by the Goa'uld and Humans, later. However, for reasons I cannot determine the Stargate on Earth was lost to Ra, it was burried under, or should I say, in, a glacier in Antarctica, not to be seen by anyone important for a long, LONG, time.

Ra, liking Earth very much as his summer getaway and main source of slaves, needed some way of getting to Earth, something faster than his old, crappy, ship. So one day he thought, "let's steal a Stargate!" And who would've thunk, he did. He took a Stargate from a planet currently unknown to the SGC, and placed it very carefully, on Earth. Now coming to his senses and realising that his slaves would stop dying on the trip from the warm parts of the world to antarctica, he put the Stargate right in the Metropolis of his slaves, Walmart, I mean Egypt.

From then on for hundreds, if not thousands of years Ra used this Stargate to move his slaves from planet to planet, when he had nothing else to do. It was like ping-pong, he opens one gate with a line up of slaves in front of it, and one by one, SMACKS them through with a stick, on the other side there was a guard waiting would would quickly smack them back into the gate. Ra, being as dumb as he is, did not realise that when this happend the people actually ceased to exist. So in Egypt when they found out Ra just killed a handful of slaves for NO reason, they thought about it for a while, and then when he was eating his turkey sandwich, BOOM, they revolted, killing his guards on Earth and burring the gate. Even though this planet was so important to him, he did not return to reclaim it, as I said, being as dumb as he is.

PART TWO: MODERN SOCIETY

On an archealogical dig in Giza Egypt, archeaologist Dr. Langoford discovered an artifact circular in nature covered by a stone, the outer ring is enscribed with Hieroglyphics, and the inner cartouche contains symbols of the likes no one has seen before. This is not half as interesting as what is underneath, HEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES STARGATE!!!

That is right the second Stargate was found, the one that Ra brought to replace the lost Antarctic gate.

For years no one had the slightest clue what it was or what it did, then in 1945 they actually turned it on, a scientist, named Ernest Littlefield who was working for the program went through in what was a diving suit, when he was through the Stargate shut off, he would not be seen for many, many years. (ignoring the fact that when Ernest went through the gate he had a hose attached that was giving him oxygen, then the stargate deactivated cutting it off which is impossible becuase the gate transmits matter in discrete units, the gate would have stayed active for the entire thirty-eight minutes).

The good doctor, Ernest Littlefield was the fiance of a young woman, who goes by the name of Cathrine Langford, thats right, the daughter of the archaeologist who discocered the gate.

For a while the gate was put away, but then a few years later the program was reopened and Cathrine was now in charge. No one currently alive at that time new of the activation in 1945, and no one would for a couple of years. Around 1994 Dr. Cathrine Langford searched out a young hopeful archaeologist, with crazy ideas that had pretty much been laughed out of the acedemic society, he went by the name of Dr. Daniel Jackson.

He was recruited by Catherine to try to translate the hieroglyphics on the coverstone, he easily translated them in no time, and that was that. Then they actually new what to call the device, Stargate, not "Door way to Heaven." Dr. Jackson later figured out that the symbols on the inner cartouche were actually points in space, and the device, that Dr. Jackson didn't know of, transported matter and energy across vast areas of space using an artificial wormhole. Dr. Jackson along with a military Colonel named Jack O'Neill who had recently retired because his son Charlie, or Tyler, shot himself with Jacks' gun, how sad. Oh, and there was a whole other smattering of military that went along with them. Sorry, in my haste I have strayed off topic and forgot to tell you were they are going, well it was a planet... either on the other side of the unvierse, in the Kalium Galaxy, or the closest planet to Earth, Abydos.

To make a long story short, they killed Ra, an alien pretending to be a god to the people of Abydos.

PART THREE: THE SGC

A couple years later after returning from Abydos, the facility is closed and military personell are being shipped out. Three men and an woman sit in a large room on Sub level 28, playing cards... how responsible. Suddenly the large object underneath the big white sheet starts to move, then it comes flying off for no apparent reason, Guess who's back, back again, Stargate's back, tell a friend, na na na, na na na, na na na, na na na. *Clears throat*... Sorry about that... anyways, the Stagate opens ans I believe, eight people come through, and there he is again, RA!

O'Neill is quickly recalled and the facility is now under the command of a bald man in a white shirt, no, not Homer Simpson, General George Hammond... of Texas. This is a long story so I will shorten it. They contact the supposedly DEAD Dr. Jackson, who supposedly DIED on thier mission to Abydos, using, that's right, the box of all boxes, filled with the tissue of all tissues, a Kleenex box. Dr. Jackson replies, they go to Abydos and find out that it wasn't Ra that came through the gate it was another one of these damned aliens, oh, what is his name, (I seriously can't remember his name!)... APOPHIS, got it!

This is not the last they have seen of him, he came to Abydos, through the Starate and kidnapped Dr. Jacksons' new wife, Aumonet, I MEAN, Sha're (is that how you spell that), and O'Neills' friend and Daniels' brother-in-law, Skaraa.

The team including its' newest member, the brainy, the astrophysicist pilot, the Captain, Samantha Carter, also Air Force .
(It might have been good to mention that O'Neill and Hammond were air force too, oh great, now that last sentence isn't going to make sense, sorry, just thinking out loud)

Anyways the facility is dawned, the SGC or Stargate Command, and is oppend as a full time facility, with thier directive to explore other worlds and gain technology.

PART FOUR: THE LATER YEARS

As of the season one episode "Solitudes," The SGC is now in possesion of two Stargates. Colonel O'Neill and Captain Carter found this gate by "accident" after escaping from a planet where the team took heavy fire. The gate was "overloaded" this caused the wormhole to "jump" to another gate, the gate hidden under the surface of Antarctica.

Near the end of season three and the begining of season four, the Egyptian gate was lost in the Pacific Ocean, I believe it was, when Thors' ship crashed after being attacked by replicators. It was necesary for the team to beam the gate up to the ship so that they could escape. The Antarctic gate was taken out of storage and used full-time, in the SGC. It appeared that the trademark, "A" symbol was gone.

For a while they were forced to use the Beta gate, or the Antarctic gate as thier Alpha gate, it was not until later in season four that the "A" returned.

In the season four episode "Watergate" the SGC discovered that the Russians had been secretly operating a Stargate program of thier own out of Russia, the Russians were using the Egypt gate that they found in the ocean. The gate managed to survive being plunged into the ocean at incredible speeds, but it survived.

The SGC was forced to continue using the Antarctic gate until early season six. In season premier episodes of season six "Redemption" Anubis is attacking Earth using an ancient weapon that he has discovered, it uses one gate to destroy another. Obviously they manage escape this seemingly unescapable situation, unfortuanatley, the Antarctic Stargate is lost, forever. The United States is forced to "rent" the "A" gate from Russia, and continue to use the Egypt gate right up until now.

This has been the brief history of Stargates on Earth, it is up to you to write the future...

Owen Macri

Owen Macri

Darkstar
July 21st, 2005, 03:13 AM
oi!!! dont forget the gate that was used at stone henge in england thousands of years after the egyptian gate.

they still have to find the gate on mars left inside an ancient furrling temple of collosal mass.

and of course the apophis gate from season 2 when the ship blew up and the gate flew off into space (sort of a last resort if all other gates are lost by season 14 mind you by that time earth will have built its own gates so i dosent really matter.) but its not something one would simply just leave in their back yard. :D :D :D :D

_Owen_
July 21st, 2005, 03:20 AM
I think that the Apophis gate is probably floating around our solar system somewhere in a high orbit around something. That could make a good storyline. Some astronamer sees the gate activate and a whole load of Wraith Darts come out, of course he doesn't know what they are, but no one believes him.

Owen Macri

sg1 volgman
July 21st, 2005, 05:57 AM
I agree that they probably wouldn't pick something up from 7 seasons back without mentioning it at all in the seasons in between.

although it's quite possible, yes...

_Owen_
July 21st, 2005, 06:03 AM
I don't know, remember "Citizen Joe." They sort of went back to the begining there.

Owen Macri

SmartEagle
July 21st, 2005, 12:08 PM
They would just have to have a very long "previously on Stargate" clip at the beginning to get everyone caught up on seasons one and two.

What did ever happen to Orlin's gate? I gathered that it was more primitive than the other gates, so perhaps it would be easier to understand how it operates, and they could learn more about wormhole physics on a simpler one. Do you think they will ever try to activate it again?

_Owen_
July 21st, 2005, 12:29 PM
Well, it was made soley of Earth materials so we could have backwards engineered it, then we could have built a ton more stargates using our good old human know-how. Then the Asgard, Tollan and Nox would be impresed...

Owen Macri

ColonelWilliams
July 21st, 2005, 12:36 PM
with ships now, if we ever need another gate, we can always get one from another planet like the one in "message in a bottle" or another planet where the gate is not in use.

_Owen_
July 21st, 2005, 12:39 PM
Ya, there are plenty of uninhabitable planets that have Stargates that we could "borrow."

Owen Macri

SmartEagle
July 21st, 2005, 12:55 PM
Or we could start mass producing "disposable stargates."

_Owen_
July 21st, 2005, 12:59 PM
Of course, we can sell them in bulk at Costco. Lol!

Owen Macri

matjoeman
July 21st, 2005, 11:38 PM
i dont know if that gate survived but it seems like there are some inconsistencies of how easy it is to destroy a stargate

remember in "48 hours" that gate clearly broke when the ship hit it (but that dun seem like it was enough force) hmmm....

Kastro187420
July 21st, 2005, 11:57 PM

I also seem to remember a gate suriving a direct Meteor Hit in "A Hundred Days" I believe it was, so I agree with immrtlofdrknss, I don't think the explosion on the ship would be sufficiant enough to take out a gate... but thats just my view on it.

VirtualCLD
July 22nd, 2005, 07:44 AM
I believe, you are thinking of "Small Victories" and "Enemies" where they beamed the Egypt gate up to Thors' ship.

Owen Macri

Actually I believe he was talking about the stargate on Klorel's ship in "Within the Serpent's Grasp" and "The Serpent's Lair."

_Owen_
July 22nd, 2005, 11:18 AM
Oh, ok, that explains it! Thank you.

I also seem to remember a gate suriving a direct Meteor Hit in "A Hundred Days" I believe it was, so I agree with immrtlofdrknss, I don't think the explosion on the ship would be sufficiant enough to take out a gate... but thats just my view on it.

i dont know if that gate survived but it seems like there are some inconsistencies of how easy it is to destroy a stargate

remember in "48 hours" that gate clearly broke when the ship hit it (but that dun seem like it was enough force) hmmm....

You are right, there are inconsistencies with this, so let's forget about it. lol. Just kidding, but not really. lol

Owen Macri

mightydefiant
July 22nd, 2005, 09:26 PM
If it takes alot to distory a Stargate, then what's the point of putting C4 on the gate in Serpents Grasp?
I say it could still be there, if one survied Thor's ship, why not a Go'ud (yes it's spelled wrong) ship?
6thMonolith said about Orlin's gate, didn't Orlin said that he made it so it would only work once?

_Owen_
July 23rd, 2005, 07:57 PM
Theoretically, the Naquadah in the gate should amplify the explosion. However, the gate may still not be destroyed after this. However, the Stargate likley wouldn't be destroyed after crashing into the ocean, unless an explosion was triggered. But this has been an inconsitent aspect of the show, and I am tired, so I could be missing something.

Owen Macri

Capn_Canada
August 17th, 2005, 09:59 PM
I gotta idea. What if, since Earth was cool to the Ancients, they justt made liek a stargate factory adn they mass produced stargates, and just shipped em off to diffrent worlds. that would mean, there might be some big warehouse of unused stargates on earth and/or atlantis.

captain keys
August 17th, 2005, 10:18 PM
i think we should try and maked a gate

_Owen_
August 24th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Sure just backwards engineer the one Orlin built. It would be difficult but it may be possible.

As for Earth, I think the Ancients orginally evolved there.

Owen Macri

TheIronMiller
April 5th, 2008, 04:20 AM
As for Earth, I think the Ancients orginally evolved there.

No dice.
Unnamed Ori Galaxy.
Unless you're talking about evolving into energy. Then I think it was Pegasus.