PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for gate cavalry?

Quakerbone
July 14th, 2005, 09:37 AM
So far, we haven't seen anyone try to fit a real tank or infantry vehicle through the Gate yet, besides the 'Gateship' and a couple FREDs. Is there any real need for one, and how would we get it through?

buckner
July 14th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Maybe a dune bogey thing like the seals use could fit through. Yes it would be nice 2 have a vehicule 2 travel longer distances and 2 attack more people with.

July 14th, 2005, 11:39 AM
A Tank or anything along those lines (Bradley, etc) is WAY to big to fit through the gate. I suppose we might eventually develop something smaller along those lines that would fit but for now we can forget about that. A smaller jeep type vehicle might fit, but that would probably be about as big as you could go.

On the other hand, myself and others HAVE suggested the use of ATVs and bikes. In fact, US special forces teams now use those quite a bit so it wouldn't be a stretch at all. Plus ATVs and bikes would easily fit through the cargo elevators and halls in the SGC. A larger vehicle would probably have to be lowered via crane or disassembled and moved through the gate in pieces.

It's too bad, really. My brother graduated from basic up at Ft Knox, KY on June 30. He's a calvary scout so they had a humvee and an M3A3 Bradley on display. During the graduation, they showed a few other videos, including shots of an Abrams tank firing and such.

You know what went through my head? "God, it really sucks that the gate's not bigger. Can you imagine what one of those SOBs would do to Jaffa ground forces if we could send one through the gate? Talk about a slaughter. I doubt that their staff weapons would even be able to harm the tank outside of a lucky shot. The composite chobham armor they use will almost certainly stop those blasts easily. Even the larger stand and wagon mounted staff cannons would probably not be very effective against it, especially from the front.

On the other hand, the .50cal, 7.62mm coaxial and 120mm main guns would wreak havoc on the Jaffa. Can you imagine being a jaffa with 70 tons of steel bearing down on you at 30-40 mph and your weapons don't even touch it?

M1 Abrams (http://www.army.mil/fact_files_site/abrams/)
More Abrams MBT (http://www.army-technology.com/projects/abrams/)

Panther
July 14th, 2005, 07:51 PM
I think since the gate can only bring in light stuff, you won't see any MBT or IFVs through there. You'd probably be restricted to various wheeled jeeps and/or trucks which mounts for different weapons (think Warthog from Halo :D). If the **** really hits the fan perhaps some towed artillery would be nice, like an M198?

Agent_Dark
July 14th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Well... an M2A2 is about 10' wide and 10'5'' high. I don't have the exact dimension for the 'gate, but a few threads here and wikipedia put it at about 22' in diameter. So you could probably fit a Bradley through. The real problem is getting through the SGC gate. Short of lowering it by the crane down into the mountain, there would be no way to get a vehicle of that size inside the mountain (and lowering it by the crane aint exactly inconspicous either ;))

But, it might be possible to get the Prometheus to beam some up with the Asgard Transporter, jump to an offworld base, beam them down and set them up there. Then if an SGC team needed armour support, they just called up the base and get em to send one through. Resupply might be a bit of a problem, but the Prommie (or other 303's) could make say monthly cargo runs.

Chachi
July 14th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Well... an M2A2 is about 10' wide and 10'5'' high. I don't have the exact dimension for the 'gate, but a few threads here and wikipedia put it at about 22' in diameter. So you could probably fit a Bradley through. The real problem is getting through the SGC gate. Short of lowering it by the crane down into the mountain, there would be no way to get a vehicle of that size inside the mountain (and lowering it by the crane aint exactly inconspicous either ;))

But, it might be possible to get the Prometheus to beam some up with the Asgard Transporter, jump to an offworld base, beam them down and set them up there. Then if an SGC team needed armour support, they just called up the base and get em to send one through. Resupply might be a bit of a problem, but the Prommie (or other 303's) could make say monthly cargo runs.

There you go! Have the Prometheus ferry our heavy equipment to Alpha Site, and have Alpha send support. Might need to move the Alpha gate to a seperate hanger or garage type room with more space for vehicles, and no stairs....

-Chachi

Jarnin
July 14th, 2005, 09:42 PM
The gate has a 22 feet exterior diameter with an interior diameter of about 18 feet. That gives you a 12 ft by 12 ft area with 6 inches on either side to drive whatever you wanted through the gate.
An M1 Abrams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams) is 8 feet high and 12 feet wide. It'd fit no problem.

Panther
July 14th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Obviously some people have throught it through more than others. ;)

nimitz
July 15th, 2005, 07:07 AM
http://www.stargate-tech.net/esy/vehicles.htm has alot of information on sending vehicles through the gate.

brockthepaine
July 15th, 2005, 09:27 AM
After reading the article on the link cited above, I did some research on current Army IFVs. I concluded that an Army IFV called the LAV-25 would probably be the ideal armored vehicle for use by the SGC, for the following reasons:

- Amphibious with little preparation
- It carries troops, between 6 and 7 I think
- It comes in multiple varients, including anti-aircraft, anti-tank, and medical evac (this version, I think, would have been a serious asset in season seven Heroes)
- Armor is probably enough to stop staff blasts, including the staff cannon emplacements.
- Onboard sensors would go far beyond the ability of human and Jaffa vision: the SG teams operating it would own the night.
- Weapons can include a minigun, ie, Jaffa Charge Stomper; Stingers and onboard radar would be nasty for Gliders; TOWs for use against Alkesh or landing ships, and a 25mm gun like the Bradley carries for serious punch. A railgun from the later seasons could be a serious contender here, too.
- Its smaller, lighter, and more maneuverable than most other IFVs.

I would probably arrange an SGC armored platoon with three LAV-25s equipped for anti-infantry/anti-armor, and a second platoon with a medical evac LAV and two anti-air LAVs. Then attach a few ATVs or dune buggies as scouts. One, or all of the vehicles would have a laser designator, and could select targets to be hit by the SGC's go-through-the-gate missiles.

One thing that would be really cool is if the SGC took out the diesel engines from the LAVs and gave them Naquadah generators. It would be more expensive but range and endurance would jump - no need for fuel to be carried, and thus risk Jaffa hitting the oil tank. The Naquadah generator would also give you some power to run a shield generator (maybe hacked from a ribbon device?). In place of the main gun you could put together something akin to a "staff weapon gatling gun" and lower the necessary ammo storage. Properly trained, a single light armor platoon could school Jaffa warriors.

brockthepaine
July 15th, 2005, 09:41 AM
SG1: "This is SG-1, we have Jaffa on the west ridge!"
Alpha One: "SG-1, prepare to receive fire support. Give us a head count."
SG1: "There are several hundred."
Alpha One: "Alpha Two and Three, give me suppressing fire on the flanks. Alpha Four, get SG-1 aboard and head back to the Gate. Fire at will, terminate with extreme prejudice."
(There is brief shooting)
Alpha One: "StarGate Command, this is Alpha One. All surviving hostiles have departed the field, some through different means than others. We're returning to base. Keep the iris open for us..."

Hudson
July 17th, 2005, 04:05 AM
assemble the tanks at the alpha site. much eaiser, as the gate is outside

nimitz
July 17th, 2005, 08:35 AM
You would have to send supplies through the stargate which would stop gate travel for any other uses and also if you used the prommie or daedulas(i know thats spelt wrong)to send supplies that would stop them from doing their main duties.And finnaly(sp?) i thought the alpha site was indoors now.

_Owen_
July 17th, 2005, 06:01 PM
We could get a Tank through the Stargate, theoretically, we could fit a planet through the Stargate.

Of course they are obviously to big to fit through the Stargate itself, at their normal size, and shrinking them, would obviously be a cliche, so we won't even go into that. However, an alternative, is to dematerialize the matter using another device, maybe something like an Asgard transporter, then send the information through the Stargate, to a rematerialization device near the recieveing gate, the energy from the dematerialized matter as well as the information of the matter would be sent through the gate. Bassically we would be doing what the Stargate does with two extra devices and we would extend it beyond the event horizons. So it is possible, we just can't drive it through the gate, but we can send it through.

Owen Macri

Panther
July 18th, 2005, 12:14 AM
But we don't have transporter tech yet.

nimitz
July 18th, 2005, 12:21 AM
We could get a Tank through the Stargate, theoretically, we could fit a planet through the Stargate.

Owen Macri
If you look at my first posts link it tells you that a tank can fit through a stargate. Even the M1 which is a monster :D .

Jarnin
July 18th, 2005, 06:25 AM
The alpha site gate is indoors now, and there's a nasty 90 degree turn to go through the gate. Making that turn in a vehicle would be difficult to say the least.

_Owen_
July 19th, 2005, 09:37 PM
But we don't have transporter tech yet.

The Asgard do...

Owen Macri

_Owen_
July 19th, 2005, 09:38 PM
If you look at my first posts link it tells you that a tank can fit through a stargate. Even the M1 which is a monster :D .
I appoligize, I must have missed that. Ok, instead of a thank, let's say, The Empire State Building.

Owen Macri

Panther
July 19th, 2005, 09:46 PM
The Asgard do...

Owen Macri
But we don't. Will they fork it over?

_Owen_
July 19th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Well, Atlantis Season twowe have it on the Daedalus.As well, we have Asgard transporters on the Prometheus, originally, they didn't have time to put Asgard sensors on it, so we had to use locators, and I am not sure if they updated them yet.

Owen Macri

Hudson
July 20th, 2005, 03:27 AM
The alpha site gate is indoors now, and there's a nasty 90 degree turn to go through the gate. Making that turn in a vehicle would be difficult to say the least.

D`OH

forgot about that :o

Darkstar
July 20th, 2005, 06:06 AM
i havent read all of theposted so its probabaly been said but to dismantle the jeeps and tanks before transit or using asgard transporters on the prommie or a asgard ship to beam the gate up to a secure wherehouse say at area 51 then massing your viercles there then simply sending them through there and simply beam the gate back to the gate room.

Lord ┬žokar
July 21st, 2005, 01:25 AM
They may be able to build a lazy-susan style turntable device to rotate incoming vehicles, similar to railway ones.

I'd like to point out that this should now be the lastest post in the thread but it's not, see:

Well, with a tank it would be no problem, you drive it striaght to is it parralel with the gate and then move one tread backwards and one forwards, it would spin in place.

Owen Macri

_Owen_
July 21st, 2005, 01:32 AM
You are right, it is the time dialation effect, I posted from the future, and now came back and am posting from the preasent about my post from the future, therefore effect is preceeding cause. RELATIVITY IS SO FREAKING COOL!!!

Owen Macri

_Owen_
July 21st, 2005, 02:08 AM
D`OH

forgot about that :o
Well, with a tank it would be no problem, you drive it striaght to is it parralel with the gate and then move one tread backwards and one forwards, it would spin in place.

Owen Macri

SeaBee
July 26th, 2005, 03:45 PM
I've always wondered why nobody goes through the gate on an off-road motorbike or a quad bike. You could mount a fairly meaty weapon on a quad.

_Owen_
July 26th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Lol, that would be fun and cool! REALLY FUN!

Owen Macri

SeaBee
July 26th, 2005, 04:16 PM
I have never understood why the SG teams would have to walk everywhere. O.k. , on a potentially hostile held planet stealth may well be preferable to speed, but surely a recon mission on an uninhabited or non hostile world would be far more efficiently executed if the teams were mechanised. And a team mounted on 250cc trials bikes or quads fitted with chain guns would definately look cool.

_Owen_
July 26th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Lol, plus when they walk they can only really explore a fraction of the planet, on all of those "uninhabited" planets that they discovered there could have actually been incredibly advanced races, just living on the other side.

Owen Macri

Loaf
July 27th, 2005, 04:37 AM
why don't they borrow a PJ to survey the entire planet then

I'm sure there would be room to get a hummer through the stargate not sure about a tank maybey an APV

_Owen_
July 27th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Well yes a puddle jumper would be ideal, but they don't really want to use thiers because it sort of has time machine in it. lol.

Owen Maci

Loaf
July 27th, 2005, 12:46 PM
maybey they should put a post it note inside saying don't think about time travel or just disconnect the divice

Ohper
July 27th, 2005, 12:48 PM
This is a visual representation I made of what the SGC needs to do to get vehicles through the Gate:

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/9254/untitled17we.jpg

Simple, huh?

Loaf
July 27th, 2005, 12:56 PM
I think they should put the stargate somewhere else then it would be easier to move trucks an tanks even PJs through

_Owen_
July 27th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Lol, nice picture!

Owen Macri

Major Tyler
July 27th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Take a page from the Atlantis book...

We know that the Stargate can be raised and lowered, so why don't we just make one of the floors above (or below) the Gateroom into a hangar bay, and whenever we want to send Jeeps, PJs, or whatever through, we just use a mechanism to raise (or lower) the Stargate to the hangar level.

Loaf
July 27th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Nah cheyanne mountain isn't safe enough how about a nuclear super bunker at a nutreal location

immhotep
July 27th, 2005, 01:58 PM
ok the Gate cavary obsiosly cant be used in a building so, why not just find an uninhabited planet and create a cavalry camp (ceta site??), have the prommie drop off any thing that is big powerfull and small, with a team of engineers/mechanics, we could even use SG tech on real world machine to create the ultimate offworld vehicle.

_Owen_
July 27th, 2005, 02:18 PM
I like that idea I think it has a lot of potential.

Owen Macri

Ohper
July 27th, 2005, 02:25 PM
They could always just beam Hummers down to right in front of the 'Gate, and then drive them up the ramp and through.

_Owen_
July 27th, 2005, 02:26 PM
They could also just beam a hummer straight through the gate.

Owen Macri

Ohper
July 27th, 2005, 02:30 PM
What?

No.

_Owen_
July 27th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Actually, yes. just as if it were being beamed to another room, using the wormhole as a contuit, like a door, and the other planet is another room.

Owen Macri

July 27th, 2005, 04:09 PM
That's only theory, though. We don't know for sure that that would work.

_Owen_
July 28th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Well we know energy can travel through the gate freely with no need for dematerialization, because it is already in a non material state. So the Asgard transporter beam would most probably be able to beam directly through the gate, in fact it may be able to beam into the center of the wormhole, it would be a cool way to check out wormholes! I would have to say, it is far more than theory, logically, it is fact.

Owen Macri

immhotep
July 28th, 2005, 02:44 AM
so if the beaming technolgy can beam say an alkesh/hatak away (like herurur's that time) then could we say beam anything through the gate, like a warship, or the daedalus?!

Loaf
July 28th, 2005, 05:30 AM
Or an advanced attack helicopter

immhotep
July 28th, 2005, 09:40 AM
or the deadalus, with an AAH and F-302's/03's (for those who know what i mean!)

KSTreadhead
July 28th, 2005, 10:43 AM
The thing that Stargate Command needs to do is have a Light Infantry reaction force for rapid emergency deployment throught the gates. This force should be about the size and configuration of an Army Infantry Battalion or a Marine Rifle Battalion.

However for heavy forces the SGC working with Space Command should build a space vessels that do the same jobs as the LSU, LHAs and LHDs. Also the corresponding subcraft like a space version of a Landing Craft Utility or LCU and maybe a small craft that combined the protection of a AV-7 or AV-8 with the maneuverability of a helicopter. Say an LCI with vectored thrust for flight and landing and turret mounted armaments to support the troops being carried. The major troop carriers should have the same hyperdrive capabilities as the Prometheous or Daedalus. Yet those using them shoulb be mindful that troop assault ships are not battle cruisers and battle cruisers like the afore mentioned ships are not landing ships. Thusly each vessel has its missions like each SG team is taylored for its mission.

As to a vehicle that could go through a Stargate take a look at the demensions of the LAV vehicles used by the Marines and the Stryker series beginning to be deployed by the Army. The are basically the same chasis with the Stryker stretched to an 8x8 wheel drive configuration and another one would be the old but still useful V-150 or its bigger brother the V-350. Stats for all of these can be found at GlobalSecurity.org on the LAV pages.

Valor for Service
Douglas L Hemmingway
AKA
KSTreadhead

immhotep
July 28th, 2005, 11:47 AM
how about a translation for the abrieviations?

Loaf
July 28th, 2005, 01:49 PM
how about our own version of an alkesh, but with an asgard hyperdrive a cloak, anchent an human weaponry that can be beamed through the gate. And maybey even small bay for a hummer or armoured truck

_Owen_
July 28th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Yep anything, we could have beamed the Daedalus directly to pegasus, and then if the technology worked quick enough we could have beamed over the ZPM too. You see, this is the stupid thing, theoretically, we can have trillions of fully powered ZPMs right on our doorstep, we just need to slighty alter the Asgard transporter technology to not dematerialize. And then provide it with an energy source to create the ZPMs. But we don't even need to do that, we just need to reset the the ZPMs that we have by unlocking them from their self conatined regions of subspace time and then re locking them onto another position, it is so incredibly stupid, it is like having the key to a door, that locks from the inside, but dying stuck in the room with the door that locks from the inside.

Owen Macri

Panther
July 28th, 2005, 11:08 PM
So basically something similar to MEU(SOC)?

_Owen_
July 28th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Yes, you could see it that way. For those who don't know, and MEU(SOC) is a Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable).

Owen Macri

Panther
July 29th, 2005, 02:07 AM
They're better than a infantry battalion. They can hit a little harder and have a more flexible response.

Loaf
July 29th, 2005, 05:37 AM
Duh

_Owen_
July 29th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Lol, Duh! Of course duh! duh duh duh duh duh duh, don't forget duh.

Owen Macri

Loaf
July 29th, 2005, 11:26 AM
do you know what were talking about

Thor's Pal
July 30th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Insead of the massive crane lowering something to the Gate room- how about setting up the gate to be tillted so that is horizontal-then at the first advailabe area above the gate that is next to the old silo. construct a garage and crane or platform. Then when they need to deploy vechiles like the tanks Infiranty carriers, the personel will load up in the garage, then the crane will lift the vechile over the gate.

hehehehe- now here's the crazy part of this idea-
Once they are in postion over the gate- the cran will release and they will freefall though the gate. And since you leave the gate on the other side going the same speed you were going when entered-that will be very scary watching an M1A1 flying out of the gate at 29 m/s (est 3 sec fall) and then landing on the ground.

Hmmm, only thing I can see wrong would be the DHD- but othersiwe its just a matter of presice postioning and physics.

nimitz
August 1st, 2005, 01:59 PM
i wouldnt like to be the crew inside that m1 and also they could hit something on the other side.You could add a net 3quaters the way down and then drop it again.So it will hit the net and then you drop it again so it wont be travelling so fast on the other side.

_Owen_
August 1st, 2005, 08:07 PM
do you know what were talking about
Of course I know what you are talking about, duh. lol.

Owen Macri

nimitz
August 3rd, 2005, 08:13 AM
I dont have any nitpicking idea about what your on about.

_Owen_
August 3rd, 2005, 08:21 PM
Lol, shh, just say you do. Lol. I am confused now, and I don't know what we are talking about either anymore. lol.

Owen Macri

nimitz
August 4th, 2005, 09:42 AM
I do know what your talking about now.

_Owen_
August 4th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Aww, I am still confused...

Owen Macri