Runner (203)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bobthespirit
    I also find it interesting to see Ford balance his clear instability with his wish to prove his worth to Atlantis. He feels nigh-invincible at the moment and probably thinks he can kill all the wraithe singlehandedly.
    This is an excellent observation.

My heart breaks for Ford: he's himself one minute, and he's homicidal the next. He's joking with McKay but shooting Atlantis troopers. Rainbow has this wonderfully expressive face and sometimes the horror of what he does goes right across his features.

I think Ford really believes he can kill Wraith and save Atlantis. But then, he's not really...Ford... anymore, so he seems to just enjoy killing.

I like Dex.

I thought this episode felt a bit choppy. It just didn't quite hang together right.

I also think they're playing McKay's whinging up to the detriment of the character.

I wonder what the point of next week's episode is besides "Dex gets settled into Atlantis." The previews didn't seem to reveal much of a plotline besides that, and a character story is just a vignette, not a story, not an episode. It was not the best preview.
    ~*~*~*~*~*
    not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

So so ep for me.
      Rainbow did a great job. I like Ronon other than the obligatory Teyla/Ronon momets. Their chat, which I knew was coming and practically recited before them. Her ripping open his shirt so to speak. ::eye roll::. Ronon being so tough he doesn't need to be knocked out and then he can get up and kick butt against Ford. Meh moments. But I liked him and his backstory otherwise.

Laughed at the way too few McShep moments.

I liked the Caldwell and Shep interaction. Caldwell was cold, but it was good character moments for Shep.

Liked Shep's NON reassurances to Carson.

Liked Ford and Rodney interaction.

Did not like the Major dude. He was tyring to hard to be Shep and play the lines like Joe does. Wrong. Hated his scenes with Rodney.

This ep finally DID cross the line with Rodney. I found it amusing in SIEGE and even INTRUDER. The moments were brief. But Rodney's characterization was all over the map. So far his only recognizable moments this ep were the brief interactions with Shep and a few of his moments with Ford. I am HOPING, and I'm not even a Rodney fan, that TPTB are setting up that Rodney is having a REACTION TO CERTAIN DEATH situations. Post traumatic stress type reactions that they actually acknowlege on the show at some point. Soon.

I laughed at the Shep and Teyla moment with.

"What are you doing?
      Freeing my hand.
      Doesn't feel like that's what you're doing.

Or however that went.

Liked the confrontation with Shep and Ford at the end. Made me feel sad for both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by SciFiGeek
        And this episode not only crossed the line, it barreled full-throttle out of sight, to the point that I was cringing at almost every one of his scenes. I think McKay is good when he's as endearing in his own respect as he is whiny, and that there's something to compensate for his overbearing personality. I felt the episode failed to acknowledge the character progression over the last year or so and regressed his back to his 48 Hours days.Did other McKay fans feel this way, or am I alone in my thinking?
        *waves* HUGE McKay fan here and I have to concur with you on this episode. Why, oh, why was he constantly griping about everything, along with the running away and screaming like it was the first time he was on a mission and had been faced with issues like these? I couldn't agree more that he seems to have regressed, at least temporarily, especially when you consider his experience and behavior in episodes like Defiant One or The Eye.

There has been talk and worry that McKay has been too much the comic relief lately. He's definately at his best when we are glimpsing the man beneath the snark, but tonight didn't scratch that suface at all. I hope he continues to progress as he was in S1 and not the opposite
        Remixed old sig...cause I wanted the pretty again!
        :.*.:My Live Journal:.*.:

Comment

I forget the name of the officer they left to babysit Mckay and the jumper but I really hope he gets to stick around. I really liked him. He was a nice contrast to Mckays crazy antics and his mocking of Mckay doesn't sound like it took effort. It really does take effort to keep from shooting him or at the very least duct taping his trap shut.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
            I forget the name of the officer they left to babysit Mckay and the jumper but I really hope he gets to stick around. I really liked him. He was a nice contrast to Mckays crazy antics and his mocking of Mckay doesn't sound like it took effort. It really does take effort to keep from shooting him or at the very least duct taping his trap shut.
            Guys name was Major Lorne and isnt he the same guy that though Daniel was whiny in the ep ENEMY MINE?

I like this ep overall. Ford was awesome, Dex has good potetnial. Shep was good, Carson was good and yes Telya was good. Rodney notsomuch.
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by not so ancient
              I wonder what the point of next week's episode is besides "Dex gets settled into Atlantis." The previews didn't seem to reveal much of a plotline besides that, and a character story is just a vignette, not a story, not an episode. It was not the best preview.
              Isn't next week "Duet"? Guess TPTB didn't want to give too much away.

Mwahaha!

I liked Rodney when he was bantering with Shep early on (Aqua Velvet! HA!), I liked Rodney when he was talking with Ford, but I didn't care that much for the OTT complaining. Yes he would complain about getting exposed to the sun and radiation. But complaining all the time was too much for me.

I was wondering why the two guys in the beginning of the ep were dumb enough to go looking for plants at night. Kinda like how Mulder and Scully always look for the bad guy in the dark with flashlights. At least there was an explanation. Nice to see that the two guys didn't end up as redshirts as I expected.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                Isn't next week "Duet"? Guess TPTB didn't want to give too much away.

Mwahaha!
                If it is Duet, then the main plotline of the story will be a complete departure from what we saw in the preview tonight. It would be a surprise to me if those scenes were from Duet. There was not even one glimpse of McKay.

My guess is they switched the order of episodes.
                ~*~*~*~*~*
                not so ancient

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

Well, I guess I must have stumbled onto the wrong thread. I thought it was called Runner, not the let's gripe about the way McKay was written thread.

Get real people! You complained when McKay was being too comical, well, tonight he went back to his roots, a sniveling coward. I LOVE McKay, but you didn't want him "likeable", you wanted the old McKay and he was the old McKay tonight. I like him that way, it makes him believable and DIFFERENT from the other characters. I want McKay to stand alone. His arrogance is a part of him, as is his cowardice. Love McKay, you have to accept all of it!

As for the rest of the episode, it clearly belonged to Jason Momoa. His acting was more than superb, he WAS Ronon Dex. I have NO complaints about how his character was written, the small number of flashbacks (which were necessary to the plot), the "costuming", the set prep, the lighting, and most especially, his acting. It was more than I had expected. As the old saying goes "less is more" and he under played the part to perfection.

As for his conversation with Teyla, you are reading more into than was there. She was his hostage, period. No looks, no sighs, nada. As for her "removing" his shirt, Dr. Beckett asked for her assistance with that.

And as for Dex refusing anesthesia, if, in his place, would you have accepted it from total strangers? I think not.

If you want to dissect and review an episode, make certain you do it without preconceived ideas.

Well, enough. I'm certain I've now stepped on hundreds of toes, but hey, we are all entitled to an opinion, right?

Just remember one thing.....I like SGA, I adore most of the characters and if I don't have anything nice to say about one or two, I don't say anything at all.

This is not to imply I didn't like everyone in Runner, just that I need to log off. I'll continue.....just not at this moment.

Have a great night and stay safe!
                  On fighting:
                  Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                  Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Even if it was zero degrees a rubber radiation/isolation suit would be very very hot. It traps the person's heat in it. After wearing it for a while and hiking through a forest, McKay would definitely be extremely hot.

Comment

Originally posted by not so ancient
                      If it is Duet, then the main plotline of the story will be a complete departure from what we saw in the preview tonight. It would be a surprise to me if those scenes were from Duet. There was not even one glimpse of McKay.

My guess is they switched the order of episodes.

"Duet"
                      Spoiler:
                      Part of "Duet" is about Ronon getting used to Atlantis, although the primary story is about McKay's "mishap." Most likely, the trailer focused on Ronon's part as it appeared more "exciting."

Overall, yeah, this was a good episode. I can't wait for find out more about Ronon. As for the McKay thing, hm, I don't know. The line was being toed, at the very least.
                      Rocky

Comment

Hmmm...how to address this ep? The last two weeks have been easy for me because by and large, I've liked them and only had one or two things to nitpick. This episode, however, took a little while to build, resulting in my looking at it as containing a "so-so" first half and a "good" second half.

Why do I think this is so?

First half:

--Contained way too much McKay whining. I had no problems with this character in the first two eps of this season, but this time, they definitely went over the top with it.

--Introduced a character I already knew was coming. See, this is why I'm beginning to doubt the wisdom of reading previews and spoilers. I think I would have enjoyed this episode more if I didn't already know about Dex. Since I did, I was almost like, "Okay, we know this. Let's move on already."

The second half, however:

--Contained some great McKay/Ford interactions. Both actors did wonderfully here and it was nice to see Ford's change through the eyes of someone who knew him well, yet was not as close to him as Sheppard.

--Good dialogue between Sheppard and Carson. Made me turn to hubby and say, "Shep's just as much of a people person as you are." He just shrugged and said, "Hey, we try..."

--Nice knife fight between Dex and Ford, even though I could see it coming. Action was blocked out very nicely! (Real knife fighting's a lot nastier though...)

--Finally, glad to see more Shep/Ford interaction and Shep/Caldwell. Considering I spent an afternoon listening to a group of military officers bemoan the new direction of their command, I was feeling some deja vu watching Caldwell slap Shep down for doing the right thing.

So, a decent ep, if not an overall great one. I do like the character arcs of all of the characters thus far though--with the possible exception of McKay. Hopefully, that will be resolved soon and we'll get back to the banter I love rather than the slapstick.
                        "Just smile and wave, boys...Just smile and wave."

Comment

Gotta say, I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. McKay was awesome, as usual, Ronan seemed pretty cool, and Ford, don't get me started. Love where his character has gone (you gotta feel kind of sorry for the guy). Hope tptb don't squander the opportunity to explore the new Ford as this series progresses.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                            Well, I guess I must have stumbled onto the wrong thread. I thought it was called Runner, not the let's gripe about the way McKay was written thread.

Get real people! You complained when McKay was being too comical, well, tonight he went back to his roots, a sniveling coward. I LOVE McKay, but you didn't want him "likeable", you wanted the old McKay and he was the old McKay tonight. I like him that way, it makes him believable and DIFFERENT from the other characters. I want McKay to stand alone. His arrogance is a part of him, as is his cowardice. Love McKay, you have to accept all of it!
                            Um, when did God die and leave you in charge? I don't have to accept your interpretation.

I love McKay and I see him as a character with two sides: whiny and a PITA on one side, and strong and rising to the occassion, even if it's difficult for him, on the other side. When McKay is written way out of balance, it's just bad characterization and it is detrimental to the plots and the story arcs as a whole. If McKay is written just comic, it will be hard to take him as a scientist, and a team member, which is exactly what he is.

Well, enough. I'm certain I've now stepped on hundreds of toes, but hey, we are all entitled to an opinion, right?
                            Yes, since you clearly realize that we are all entitled to an opinion, you would think you would know better than to tell people to 'get real' or how they must view a character. We aren't here to be told what to think to be 'real'. Our opinions are, as you said, our right.

Just remember one thing.....I like SGA, I adore most of the characters and if I don't have anything nice to say about one or two, I don't say anything at all.
                            Why do you need to tell us that you like SGA?
                            Last edited by not so ancient; 29 July 2005, 07:30 PM. Reason: didn't finish a sentence
                            ~*~*~*~*~*
                            not so ancient

Comment

OK, I really liked Runner. Good (if slightly cliched) intro to Ronon, who shows a lot of potential and could prove to be a very interesting character who hopefully won't get turned into a one-dimensional Fighting Machine with the token angst about those he's lost.

Ford was terrific. I love him, I really do. One minute he's a happy puppy catching up on the gossip and the next he's gnawing your arm off. Love it! The scattered thinking, the paranoia, the manic need to prove himself... all great things. But if he can't even hold it together long enough to find the cave ("we're walking in circles!"), how did he manage to track down the Wraith? Or was that different because he was hunting the enzyme? Anyway, Rainbow did a brilliant job. I can't wait until we see Ford again! Poor rabid little puppy...

Not everything was happy and shiny about this ep, though. Once Beckett buckled down to do his job, he was great, but did we really need YET ANOTHER stupid scene of him going, "OMG, WHAT?? You want me to go WHERE?? And do WHAT??!! Are you NUTS??!!" He should be used to this by now and he's survived a hell of a lot worse than this. He's a better man than this and once he got on planet and was dealing with Ronon, he proved it. Enough with the wide-eyed panic BS. Please.

Likewise, can we stop turning McKay into a useless little prick? We GET the concern about the radiation. We don't need to be beaten constantly over the head with it. Yes, McKay does tend to stick to a subject and go on at length, but I think it went on a little TOO far. Major, MAJOR kudos to him actually managing to shoot Ford, but running through the woods shooting his gun and screaming like a girl was, frankly, embarrassing. Once again, it was pushed just a little TOO far. McKay might seem like a token obnoxious scientist, but there's a very fine balance to his character and so far this season the writers have been tipping him too far in the wrong directions. I realize that there is darker, deeper stuff planned for him later in the season, but turning him into a buffoon now isn't going to balance it then. If anything, you run the risk of discrediting the later darkness because right now he's acting like too much of an idiot to believeably pull off what's going to happen. DON'T TURN McKAY INTO FELGER!!!! Please, dear gods, no! Give him a little more backbone! Like Beckett, McKay is better than this petty, silly nonsense. And most of his interactions with Ford were dead-on. Great stuff.

And for someone who's very claustrophobic, he seemed to have no trouble at all with the hazmat suit, other than being hot. I'm surprised he didn't give up and abandon the rest of it when he lost the helmet. TPTB really like making Hewlett suffer. Poor thing. If he didn't have a girlfriend... *sigh* hehe

Seeing him get snared and hauled upside down was funny, though. And yay to Ronon for coming to the rescue. Good fight sequence. Predictible, but still very nice.

Best line, "95% of deadly is still deadly!"

Oh and helloooooo Major Lorne! And welcome to my Cabana Boy List. LOVE him. Must find out more about him. McKay's overboard complaining was almost worth it just for Lorne's reactions.

Comment

McKay is incredible. He made his own SPF 100 sunblock!!

Lets see, I think that this is good for the Ford character, before he was like an annoying puppy, now he seems to actually serve an important purpose, rather than be there just for the sake of being there.

It wasn't the greatest episode, I mean, Its no The Siege, but It was good.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X