Avalon, Part 1 (901)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vyse
    Well that was horrorible. BB was acting like a big baby, the "flashback" scenes were horrorible, the story was dumb, not much of a plot either. Vey very bad.
    I do not agree with them having flash backs, but I'm not gonna be a baby and cry about them.

Comment

On a first note, loved the flashback scenes. The way they spliced together the new stuff with the old stuff from the spectacular "Lost City" was superb. The way they explained how SG-1 disbanded was excellent as well as bringing in the new personalities of Gen. Bridges and Colonel Mitchell. I was pleasantly surprised by the small appearances by AT. And the humor of this episode was excellent. Between that and the personality of the ep, it was excellent. My favorite scenes were the Daniel/Vala scenes. When she whipped out the bracelets and Teal'c explained them to Daniel in the infirmary (bring in the pillow fight) it was excellent (it's gonna be a word I use a lot in this post) Vala's "Let's make babies" quote was hilarious. But my favorite scene had to be when she said "I don't know very much about your planet, except that it has a very small gene pool" and then Daniel and Cameron look at each other. The way they made fun of the fact that they look kinda alike, very, very good. This episode did not disappoint IN THE LEAST!!! Except for the fact that now I have to wait until next week to see the continuation! You shoulda seen me and my sister. Our mouths dropped open. We could not believe that time was up. It was so amazing. Now, I go in search of another image since my sig obviously won't work anymore.

Thank you for putting up with my ranting.
      Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Originally posted by Vyse
        They didn't make any sense in the context of Lost City, Carter did NOT have time to advise Mitchell about ships coming, they were too busy beaming down to the outpost to save Earth!
        I'll grant you that one scene... I thought the same thing. It probably would have been better if it was Bra'tac that said it. However your criticizing all of the flashbacks because of that one scene? Now that doesn't make sense...

Ace
        "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

The episode itself was a little slow. But i am ok with that. They had a lot of ground to cover. Had to introduce 3 characters, say goodbye to one, and explain what had happened since. Doing all that and still having a plat is impressive.
          Give them time, the characters will develop. it looks like the new general is going to be a hammond type. on the outside making the decisions, but not on the team. it looks like they are going to try to throw it back to season 3-4 times.

Although the episode in itself was very lacking, it leaves me excited for the season.

Spoiler free since Jan 3 2005 (It's getting harder each day)
          DOOOOOOOM!

Comment

Over all I enjoyed the show. I thought the way they handled the back story on Mitchell was very well done. It moved a little fast at the beginning but it was ok. If they had done this in a 90 minutes show, I think we could have had a chance to savor it a little more. Ben played Mitchell as very low key in the beginning (which I thought was good) and I am glad to see how he interacted with the others. His disappointment at finding out that SG-1 had disbanded and how he was not able to pull them back together was always right there beneath the surface and Ben played it very well. He’s a very good actor. I would have like to have seen more about Mitchell settling in, but again, they were putting a lot into an hour.

As for Landry, I think I’ll like him once Beau Bridges settles down into the character. He was just a bit too….much, but he’s a good actor and I’m sure it’ll even out. Everyone is like that with a new character. Looking at some of the first season of SG-1 you can see the same type of thing going on with the actors.

Vala, on the other hand, was definitely over the top and just a bit too “cutesy pie”, which was very disappointing. I think Claudia could have been just as sexy and a lot more intriguing if her characterization of Vala was not so obvious. The constant linking of every thing she said to some type of sexual comment got real old, real fast. I wish the dialog had been toned done a lot. I like the way Claudia played Vala last season a lot better.

Daniel needs to go shave. Now. Scruffy does not work for him. It just makes him look scruffy. If you’re going to wear a beard at least trim the darn thing. Ugh. Still, he was Daniel and it was good to see him again. I loved the comment about killing Vala when he was in the infirmary - it was pure Daniel. The gene pool line from Vala was funny even though I still don't know how anyone could confuse the two of them. Ben and Michael don't look alike at all.

I have nothing but good things to say about Teal’c. He looked great, sounded great and he played well off of Mitchell. I think that’s a good fit there. Looking forward to seeing more of the two of them together.

Loved seeing Sam. She looked happy.

Hated not seeing more of Jack.

Looking forward to next week.
            "You cannot reason with your own heart;
            it has it's own laws and beats about things
            which the intellect scorns."
            - Mark Twain -

Comment

I enjoyed the episode.

I like the way Mitchell's character was introduced, and the Vala/Daniel interaction was priceless. I enjoyed that the writers of SG-1 cared enough to look up Arthurian mythology and not make up crap as most shows who borrow the legend do. Admittedly, it wasn't the most dramatic two-parter, but most two part episodes get better in the second half. It was funny, touching, and entertaining. If this is where season 9 is starting, I look forward to the next few weeks.

My only complaints:

1. I would have liked to see Jack's promotion and an explanation for the new general.

2. Daniel's beard.
              "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
                I have to COMPLETELY disagree with you on the "flashback" scenes. I loved them... the certainly made me feel like the rest of SG-1 had already known Mitchell and this wasn't forced. Well done to the Special Effects department!!
                Ace
                Agreed! The flashbacks were the best part of the show. I think they did an excellent job of bringing Mitchell in. That is the part I really, REALLY liked. After that intro I was sold on Mitchell. I don't think they could have done that any better. I believe Mitchell is a very good addition.

On the other hand, the jury is still out on Vala. She says some really funny things but is too much over the top and I could do without all the overt sexual humor. I can see where she is going to be a love her or hate her character.

So far I am a little concerned. I hope they follow this up with a serious episode that really sells the Arthurian legend. If they keep playing it for laughs then the show will become a joke. Fingers crossed...

Comment

Originally posted by GateTraveler
                  Agreed! The flashbacks were the best part of the show. I think they did an excellent job of bringing Mitchell in. That is the part I really, REALLY liked. After that intro I was sold on Mitchell. I don't think they could have done that any better. I believe Mitchell is a very good addition.
                  Yeah... And I'm really happy that they finally decided that somebody should receive the Medal of Honor after saving the planet. After years of saving the planet the only awards we have only seen anybody get is either the Air Medal or a promotion.

Ace
                  Last edited by Ace; 15 July 2005, 07:01 PM.
                  "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Rocket's Review:

I truly loved how they started off the episode, I can see someone who's been through what Cameron has doing just that.

Vala was back--and just as hilarious as ever. Both her comparison of Cameron and Daniel and the "Let's make babies" was excellent.

As I'm sure many others were, I was pleasantly suprised seeing Sam appear, even if it was just in those brief cameos. I would have taken anything.

I was a little perturbed over the timeline of events though. The Daedalus just leaving does perhaps explain why "THE SEIGE"
                    Spoiler:
                    the letter Everett gave Weir was signed by O'Neill, not Hammond,
                    but it does mean that this episode took part before "The Seige," Part Two, which contradicts the fact that Sam called a PJ a jumper in "Moebius," Part One. Had they not recieved Atlantis's transmission, it would not have been called that. Basically, Teal'c should not have been gone for a month, according to that figure. But this is a minor thing that I can live with.

Overall, this episode was good.

Rocket's Rating: A-
                    Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by briguy213
                      I do not agree with them having flash backs, but I'm not gonna be a baby and cry about them.
                      I am NOT crying about it, that is simply my OPINION!

Comment

I think I'm gonna have to talk about the new characters more than anything, because while Daniel and Teal'c were great, we all expect them to be so, and it's nothing new.

First of all, I really don't think Mitchell was a Jack wannabe at all, but I guess it's just perspective.

For one, Cameron is WAAAY more humble than Jack was. I mean, Jack's hilarious and witty, but he KNOWS he's funny and he tends to not care about the consequences. To me, Mitchell was funny without trying to be, like when he was looking for people to join SG-1 and no one was working for him, or when he was getting frustrated with Vala and Daniel's antics. As much as I love Jack, he acted way more... I guess superior than Cameron, who clearly came into the game behaving subservient.

I like the idea of Cam and Sam having a friendship. It's also good to know that Mitchell actually REALLY wanted Sam, Teal'c and Daniel on the team. He never stopped bugging these guys, and he was always trying to begin some kind of convo with Teal'c. And I agree that the part where he freaked out at Teal'c was HILARIOUS! And you could tell that Teal'c was definitely amused. The fact that Cam's trying so hard is rather endearing to me. Ben Browder definitely won me over for Mitchell, in the sense that he passed the "Jerk or no jerk" test. Next week will probably decide whether he can help carry the series.

Landry... meh. I'll have to see. When he first approached Vala, I started to lean towards liking her. Also...
                        Spoiler:
                        I'm intrigued by the fact that he mentioned his daughter, as we all know who that will be..
                        But other than that, I think I'm gonna need to watch the ep again to see whether or not I'm gonna like this guy. Though I'm definitely glad that he's more acerbic than Hammond and Jack in a different way.

Vala. Vala, Vala, Vala. I wondered if I was gonna like her. I thought I might, then I thought I might despise her, and it's a dang good thing that Claudia Black is playing her. CB's comedic timing is great, and I laughed at more of her lines than I thought I would. Her costume was still way too tight, and they forced the Daniel/Vala attraction just a LITTLE too much, but beyond that, I really think that I can get to like her. I even watched the infirmary scene over again (sans "Let's make babies," of course). She's over the top, but so is McKay, and DH is brilliant so... I think Vala will work.

I'm looking forward to the next episode, but I hope they pick up the pace a little bit. Atlantis was much faster in pacing, and we all can assume that BSG is gonna be dizzyingly "exciting." I just hope SG-1 can keep up!

Comment

I admit to being a bit wary about how this season would play out, but after this episode, my hopes are up.

I generally have to view an episode twice before I can give a coherent opinion on the details of it, so for now I'll just say that I was pretty happy with the episode, with the characters (all of them), and I have hopes for the rest of the season.

Perhaps I'll venture a more detailed analysis of what I liked (and didn't, because there were a few things) after I've had a chance to really digest it. But overall - me likey! And it made me laugh, which I always like.
                          ~La (I used to be a lurker, but this place just sucks you in...)
                          The Nameless Forest. Also, my LJ, where you can find my fic attempts.

Comment

YAY... Im watching it again.

Comment

Originally posted by briguy213
                              YAY... Im watching it again.
                              No, you're not! You're here!
                              Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Originally posted by Orce
                                You do realize that in a TV show time is compressed, so there is definitely a possibilty that Carter and Mitchell communicated with each other, it just wasn't shown. It's only logical. Besides, I seriously doubt that at the time that episode was finished, that TPTB hadn't given any thought to BB being apart of Stargate.
                                I'm sorry, but it isn't logical. It would have made perfect sence if it was Bra'tac, but as soon as the Prometheus arrivs on the scene Carter is way too busy getting ready to beam down to the outpost to talk about battle startegy. Other stuff like him in the hospital makes sense but, that scene doesn't make any logical sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X