PDA

View Full Version : Fate of General Hammond

the fifth man
July 8th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Ok people, what are your thoughts on how the writers at stargate should give the good General a proper sendoff?

TechnoWraith
July 8th, 2005, 08:29 PM
It would be a very good idea to give General Hammond a good, well-integrated send-off. Killing him is the cheap way out. In my opinion, a character's last episode should be just as good as his or her first episode. nothing kills a character's appeal more than a poor send-off.

KorbenDirewolf
July 8th, 2005, 08:53 PM
He'll probably end up with a one-line he's retired so Jack gets his job send-off.

gatebee
July 8th, 2005, 08:58 PM
I don't think they should kill him off. I would like to see him every now and then cause in the greater good of SGC, he is a very important person.

divcon
July 8th, 2005, 09:52 PM
I loved George and was extremely sad not to see him that much in s8 and I'll be even sadder if he doesn't make a couple of appearances in s9. I know Don S. Davis has retired but maybe once or twice a year (or more) he could film a guest spot on SG1 or even Atlantis. That's it maybe George could retire to Atlantis and become the 'President' of Atlantis. :D :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

the fifth man
July 9th, 2005, 05:35 PM
I don't think they plan on killing him off ( I think they know that would piss off way too many people), but I definitely think he should be given a proper sendoff. At least one episode, you know, some closure.

oragans
July 10th, 2005, 09:35 AM
He isn't be kkilled or retired - General O'neil is leading a Civilian Agency - Hammond is still in Air Force.

the fifth man
July 10th, 2005, 11:24 AM
One thing I wonder though, is will Hammond actually appear at all; or will he just be mentioned and talked about?

divcon
July 12th, 2005, 02:13 AM
One thing I wonder though, is will Hammond actually appear at all; or will he just be mentioned and talked about?

I would love to General Hammond one last time if only to give him the proper send off that he deserves. He lead the SGC for 7 years and deserves recognition for this if nothing else.

Qasim
July 12th, 2005, 03:35 AM
Time for him to have some fun - make him the permanent commander of the Prometheus

oragans
July 12th, 2005, 04:45 AM
i hope we see him again.

the fifth man
July 13th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Come on powers that be, don't let us Hammond fans down!!

Charlie
July 13th, 2005, 09:43 PM
:( I miss George!!!! It was great having a character who gave us the perspective of the 'bigger picture' - who wasn't so involved in the action but instead had to step back and make decisions, relay info to the President and keep a cool head. He deserves more than just a passing reference to say goodbye.

gatebee
July 13th, 2005, 09:49 PM
I don't think TPTB does episodes for "proper send off". I would prefer that Hammond character do guest spots in either franchise. When ever he is on ,he is an asset to the franchise.

the fifth man
July 14th, 2005, 06:03 PM
An occasion appearance would be sweet, just not sure if that's what tptb have in mind. With Beau Bridges onboard now, they may want to shift attention to him. If that is the case, I hope he can at least do justice to the position once held by the great george hammond.

gatebee
July 14th, 2005, 11:13 PM
If you really think of it .... if this was RL , a man as important as Gen. George Hammond would never be out of the action. The military and the President would need his expertice in matters of security of the universe.

Sela
July 14th, 2005, 11:37 PM
:( I miss George!!!! It was great having a character who gave us the perspective of the 'bigger picture' - who wasn't so involved in the action but instead had to step back and make decisions, relay info to the President and keep a cool head. He deserves more than just a passing reference to say goodbye.
I'm also feeling the loss of General Hammond. As I was watching the Sci-Fi Channel starting the saga over again with COTG, I felt such a wave of sadness when General Hammond first stepped into the gateroom. Watching how from the beginning he understood and handled so expertly such a wild card as Jack O'Neill was a pleasure. He gave such a stabilizing weight to the whole Stargate saga that has been missing since they promoted him up and out of the SGC. He was as valid a member of the team as Jack, Sam, Teal'c and Daniel.

Don't get me wrong, I love Jack, but he just felt wrong in the position of SGC commander. He felt...temporary, as if he were the Acting Commander of the SGC. While I'll be interested to see what Beau Bridges brings to the position as the new SGC commander, for me, the commander of SG1 will always be General George Hammond.

oragans
July 15th, 2005, 03:12 AM
I didn't like jack as a commander - i think beau bridges is going to be great from the clips i have seen of sci-fi friday he seems funny.

the fifth man
July 17th, 2005, 12:59 PM
While I didn't mind seeing Jack as the general, I think beau bridges will definitely be more believable as a general. I just wonder if he can live up to the character hammond was. He has some big shoes to fill.

Gilder
July 17th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Y'all should check out Joe Mallozzi's most recent comments regarding Hammond ("Ask Joe Mallozzi" post #1872). Also keep your ears open for news from this weekend's Boston con and other upcoming Don S. Davis appearances.

BTW, Don has NOT retired. He's one very busy actor these days! Check his listing at IMDb.com.

tsaxlady
July 17th, 2005, 02:40 PM
I was at Comic Con this weekend and it was asked of Brad & Rob what has become of Gen Hammond - they had this to say Hammond will be back this season look for him in the mid season 2 parter

the fifth man
July 17th, 2005, 05:45 PM
thank you tsaxlady. :)

the fifth man
July 17th, 2005, 05:46 PM
So what role do you think hammond will play ladies and gentlemen this season then?

the fifth man
July 23rd, 2005, 05:40 PM
Can't wait to see Hammond.

NotANumber
July 23rd, 2005, 06:42 PM
Isn't Hammond still overlooking all aspects of "homeworld security"? I believe in New Order it was stated that he oversaw the Stargate, Prometheus (and presumably Daedalus too), the Antartica site, and possibly the Atlantis expedition in some way.

Qasim
July 24th, 2005, 07:59 AM
The 2 parter is the 4 horsemen ep - I have a feeling he has a government position

Albion
July 24th, 2005, 08:28 AM
He isn't be kkilled or retired - General O'neil is leading a Civilian Agency - Hammond is still in Air Force.

Really? Where does this info come from? Last spoilers I read, O'Neill was taking over Homeworld Security - the position Hammond occupied through S8. I've been avoiding spoilers since, is this an update from TPTB?

Isn't Hammond still overlooking all aspects of "homeworld security"? I believe in New Order it was stated that he oversaw the Stargate, Prometheus (and presumably Daedalus too), the Antartica site, and possibly the Atlantis expedition in some way.

NotANumber - see above. I think some of us having been wondering where Hammond has gone/what happened to him, since we read the above spoiler that O'Neill was taking over the command Hammond had in S8. But it looks as though, perhaps, this isn't the case and Hammond may well still be in situ.

Albion :)

oragans
July 24th, 2005, 09:56 AM
can't to see general hammond again - i wonder what he wll be doing.

Qasim
July 24th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Hatching a plot to get rid of Landry so he can get his old job back....if only :)

Gilder
July 24th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Hey, folks, as I stated above, the definitive word on what Hammond is doing is in the "Ask Joe Mallozzi" thread. See post #20 in this thread.

But what I want to know is...did TPTB give George a love life?! *grin*

*walks away humming "You Made Me Love You"

the fifth man
July 24th, 2005, 01:46 PM
He's married, isn't he? Always remember seeing a ring on his finger.

Gilder
July 25th, 2005, 02:05 PM
He's married, isn't he? Always remember seeing a ring on his finger.

Hammond's a widower. Please see the character profile in the GateWorld Omnipedia.
http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/characters/index.shtml

*grin* We can't all be experts on all of the characters. Darren and David, along with other volunteers, I'm sure, have made GateWorld the best reference for all things Stargate.

the fifth man
July 25th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Wow, thanks. Can't believe I didn't catch that one. And I thought I was a huge, all-knowing gate fan.

Gilder
July 25th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Wow, thanks. Can't believe I didn't catch that one. And I thought I was a huge, all-knowing gate fan.

One doesn't have to be omniscient. Only have to know where to find the info. Again, Darren and David, along with their volunteers, deserve all the praise for compiling and maintaining GW.

the fifth man
July 26th, 2005, 09:04 PM
One doesn't have to be omniscient. Only have to know where to find the info. Again, Darren and David, along with their volunteers, deserve all the praise for compiling and maintaining GW.

Totally agree with you. Thanks. As for Hammond getting a love-interest, sadly I doubt tptb plan to use him much more. For all we know, this season may be the last time we see george hammond again ( certainly hope not though ).

the fifth man
January 19th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Well, if we have seen Hammond for the last time, I think his appearance in "The Forth Horseman, Part 2" was a decent closing of his chapter. Personally though, I'll keep a little flame burning for him. You never know, tptb may want him back for an episode or two at some point in the future.

Seshat
January 19th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Well, if we have seen Hammond for the last time, I think his appearance in "The Forth Horseman, Part 2" was a decent closing of his chapter. Personally though, I'll keep a little flame burning for him. You never know, tptb may want him back for an episode or two at some point in the future. I really hope so, too! I like Don Davis' performance as General Hammond quite a bit. Even the tiny bit we got to see of him in FH2 made me very nostalgic for his character. :) Lets hope he's needed again in S10! :hammond15:

the fifth man
January 22nd, 2006, 08:44 PM
Lets hope he's needed again in S10! :hammond15:

Believe me, I'm all for that.:) No one will ever be able to top Hammond in my book.

the fifth man
March 30th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Lets hope he's needed again in S10! :hammond15:

Apparently he will be. And I couldn't be happier.:)

the fifth man
July 9th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Just thought I'd dig this thread out for a bit. See if it attracts any attention. Man, I hope Hammond shows up at some point this season. Even briefly, it would still be nice to see him. I know we haven't heard anything yet, but I remain hopeful.:)