PDA

View Full Version : Can't we all just get along? (Shippers and Nonshippers)

Porthos1013
July 5th, 2005, 10:14 PM
For some reason, there seems to have been a lot of bad blood lately between shippers and non-shippers, as well as between the various ships (I'm speaking mostly of Atlantis fans, here.) In the interest of fostering a cohesive, fun community of Stargate Fans, I'd like to suggest that we all just take a step back. I never got involved in the whole Sam/Jack debate of SG-1, but I know that it was a very divisive factor amongst the fans, and I'd hate to see something like that happen to Atlantis fans, if that can be avoided. So I thought I'd start a thread where we can all express our tolerance for people with different viewpoints, practice the golden rule, and remember that our Kindergarten teachers told us that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. ;)

Since I started the thread, I should probably start the "Love Fest." :p As a die-hard McWeir shipper, I'll be the first to admit I don't see or support Shep/Weir, but I don't begrudge those fans that do. I know it's a very popular ship, but it just doesn't attract me, however I can see how the angst and tension could be compelling. I also understand why people would want to not see any ship on the show. It could stunt the character development, as well as detract from plot-based episodes. Personally, I'd like to see a few seasons of UST before there's any canon ship, if there's ever canon ship at all. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the little shippy-interpretable moments that find their way into the story. ;)

Anyway, since there seems to be a lot of discussion about this topic lately, I just figured I'd provide a thread where we can do it, without calling people names or stepping on peoples toes, and just showing respect for those people who may have different viewpoints, but still share our love for a great show called STARGATE!

Lida
July 5th, 2005, 10:25 PM
I think it's a fabulous idea and one long overdue. I, for one, am getting tired of the flamming and the put downs, just because someone may disagree with your opinion or they perceive you do. The antagonism seems to have escalated the past few weeks, and I think that's due, in part, to the anticipation of the new series premieres.

I also think it's time we, as the most vocal fans of SG-1 and SGA, on the net (and maybe anywhere), should show respect to fellow posters, TPTB and the actors. What we say here and how we act, reflects, not only GW, but on the us, the fans.

I have to admit to being a Sam/Jack shipper and after 8 very long years, I can't say I'm happy with the way the writers have handled it. However, I watch SG-1 and SGA not for the ship, but for the stories and the characters. If TPTB decide to have NO ship at all, in either series, I would still continue to watch, but hey, a little sexual tension never hurt any series, as long as it's done tastefully. ;)

Melyanna
July 5th, 2005, 10:40 PM
This being the fourth fandom I've been involved with online, I'd say this is pretty normal. We're coming up on a big release day, and everyone's a bit edgy. It seems silly, but it always happens.

Having said that, it would be nice if people would take a step back and remember that comments about a character aren't comments about the fans of a character, and comments about an actor aren't comments about the fans of an actor. I may not see what you see, but that doesn't mean I think you're a bad person. Sometimes it's best to just let comments go, especially if they don't warrant calling the mods in. Honestly, if I tried to rebut every negative statement about the characters I like, I'd never get anything else done.

There's nothing wrong with honest disagreement between people. I may never see eye-to-eye with other fans of Atlantis because we get different things out of the show, but that's really the beauty of it. There's more than one opinion that's perfectly valid, and as long as you (speaking generically) are willing to respect my opinion, I'll respect yours. And if you're willing to talk with me about differing opinions in a civilized manner instead of throwing out accusations, I'll respect you even more.

(A good example of this is the Firefly thread in the sci-fi forum. Most of us come from very different corners of SG fandom, but we all love that franchise, and we're able to talk about it without worrying about things like who's a Weir fan, who can't stand Daniel, who wants ship, who doesn't, et cetera, et cetera.)

So I guess my point is that a lot of us (myself included, really) need to take a deep breath and tone everything down a bit. It's okay to criticize a character, TPTB, or an actor, if it's done respectfully. It's good to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume that they weren't intending to offend other fans. It's also good to work things out privately whenever possible. Usually things escalate when someone tries to point out a problem publicly, no matter how good his intentions are.

Just my observations from this site and others, including staffing one with about 200,000 members. I've found that nine times out of ten, it's just best to assume that offense wasn't intended and move on.

Willow'sCat
July 6th, 2005, 02:18 AM
Yes "Why can't we all just get along?"

Shipper 'v' Non-Shipper well I am both for different reasons and character's so I guess I understand both sides. I'm a bit like Daniel, ha, just call me a Diplomat mmm maybe not, sounds too much like hard work.

Remember to have fun.
I love anyone who loves StarGate/StarGate Atlantis even the few "very few" who have posted questionable things. Of course I have recently posted a questionable thing, haha, moving right along, I think taking things too seriously on this forum is a user's first mistake.

Again remember to have fun.

Caro
July 6th, 2005, 02:35 AM
Great idea !

I am a Jack/Sam shipper, but however I do understand all the fans who don't want to see a romantic relationship onscreen, and I would never allow myself to insult them in any way. We all watch the shows for different reasons, and all those reasons are good.

Let's not forget that Sg-1 and Atlantis are "just" TV Shows ;) Let's get along, let's have fun, and above all, we must not forget that we are all part of the same family : the gaters :)

Willow'sCat
July 6th, 2005, 02:48 AM
Let's not forget that Sg-1 and Atlantis are "just" TV Shows ;) :)

What!:eek:
Just TV shows, that is the first I have heard of them being TV shows!:D :D

astronomicalchick
July 6th, 2005, 02:50 AM
For some reason, there seems to have been a lot of bad blood lately between shippers and non-shippers, as well as between the various ships (I'm speaking mostly of Atlantis fans, here.) In the interest of fostering a cohesive, fun community of Stargate Fans, I'd like to suggest that we all just take a step back. I never got involved in the whole Sam/Jack debate of SG-1, but I know that it was a very divisive factor amongst the fans, and I'd hate to see something like that happen to Atlantis fans, if that can be avoided. So I thought I'd start a thread where we can all express our tolerance for people with different viewpoints, practice the golden rule, and remember that our Kindergarten teachers told us that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. ;)

Since I started the thread, I should probably start the "Love Fest." :p As a die-hard McWeir shipper, I'll be the first to admit I don't see or support Shep/Weir, but I don't begrudge those fans that do. I know it's a very popular ship, but it just doesn't attract me, however I can see how the angst and tension could be compelling. I also understand why people would want to not see any ship on the show. It could stunt the character development, as well as detract from plot-based episodes. Personally, I'd like to see a few seasons of UST before there's any canon ship, if there's ever canon ship at all. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the little shippy-interpretable moments that find their way into the story. ;)

Anyway, since there seems to be a lot of discussion about this topic lately, I just figured I'd provide a thread where we can do it, without calling people names or stepping on peoples toes, and just showing respect for those people who may have different viewpoints, but still share our love for a great show called STARGATE!

Oh I agree! Stick to our own shipper threads, leave ship out of other threads and generally just enjoy the show!!

KatG
July 6th, 2005, 05:33 AM
What a lovely idea. It would be nice to see, however I don't know if it's possible.

I've been a shipper since I joined GW in early 2001. The majority of my close "invisible friends" are not. However, we all are able to get along. They tease me about there not being ship, I tease them about the fact that there most definitely is, ;) and we keep it lighthearted and fun.

Still, having just barely survived the Daniel/Jonas wars, which often seemed more like a non-shipper/shipper war instead, (and, losing some "friends" along the way) I'm very doubtful that a truly peaceful solution is available for Atlantis shippers (which by the way I refuse to even think about becoming involved in, whether I see ship potential or not).

But hey, it's worth a try. You never know, I might be very pleasantly surprised. 8)

Skydiver
July 6th, 2005, 05:39 AM
There is such a thing as 'live and let live'

i know that there are some peopel here whose opinions i don't agree with. Just as i know there are some threads here that i just won't like

I don't go lurking in those threads just to listen in and let it annoy me. I leave them alone. Just like there are lists out there that i just won't fit in with anymore, i don't go there, and if i do happen to read, i don't post.

Let's say you hate sam. Ok, cool. Then the 'sam's a great character' thread probably isn't a good place for you to visit.

I'm reminded of an old story. A woman went to the doctor and told him 'i don't know what's wrong with me doc. Everytime I eat Hot Dogs, i get sick'

the doctor's response: 'Then stop eating hot dogs'

Porthos1013
July 6th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Oh I agree! Stick to our own shipper threads, leave ship out of other threads and generally just enjoy the show!!
For the most part, I tend to agree. But I think if you know you can handle yourself and not get too bent out of shape, it might be a good idea to just go lurk on another ship's thread. I know that when I need to go on a green jello rampage, (i.e. I need to spread some of the green stuff around, so I can give it to people I've already given it to) I usually go skim the Shep/Weir and Teyla/Shep ship threads for insightful posts, and give a little green out to those posters, despite the fact that I don't really support either ship. I think it helps to know where other people are coming from, and gives me a broader view of SG fandom, rather than just the view of the few threads I post on. But then again, if you know it's going to bother you then it's best to stay away from it. (And to be honest, sometimes I do read posts that I don't agree with on those threads, and if that's the case then I just skip it and move on.)

Skydiver
July 6th, 2005, 08:06 AM
a very good point. there is nothing wrong with experienceing other peoples' opinions.

you just have to keep things in perspective.

first of all, not everyone is going to agree with you
second of all, it ain't the end of the world if someone else has a differing opinin
third, you probably won't change anyone's mind so don't make it your mission in life to convert the whole world to your way of thinking

and finally, it ain't brain surgery, no one dies :)

Lord Zedd
July 6th, 2005, 08:52 AM
I don't understand why non-shippers visit shipper threads and say: I hate this and that and the whole thing about the ship between **** and **** is ruining the entire show.
Than the person knows that he / she is going to get dinged. The entire ship thread then is up-set and the mods will certainly see that the triangle button is being used. So you are a shipper of McKay and Weir and another person is a shipper of Sheppard and Weir and another isn't a shipper at all. Oke so I respect everybody's opinion, even if I don't agree with it. Then I just say: oke I have tried to understand from your perspective and I respect your perspective and opinion but I don't share your opinion.
I got a message for all the shippers,non shippers, stargate fans and other, the entire world. Have a bit of tollerance, please. It would make the world a lot better !!

And to skydiver: you are so right what you said ! not everybody is going to agree with you and that doesn't have too. The world would be a boring place if everybody would have the same opinion. Then nobody would protest and say: hey this,what you are doing, that can not happen.

Shonaille
July 6th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Im not a shipper but I post in the shipper threads bcse I enjoy discussing and reading other people's thoughts about Shep and McKay's interactions with both Weir and Teyla. And I agree, I wouldn't visit a shippy thread and rant about hating the ship, that doesn't make any sense.
I have to say that I find the Atlantis ship threads to be accomodating and welcoming to gaters like me that enjoy the friendship aspects of the show, so in general I don't think there's any real shipper vs non-shipper hostility on the boards.

Willow'sCat
July 6th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Im not a shipper but I post in the shipper threads bcse I enjoy discussing and reading other people's thoughts about Shep and McKay's interactions with both Weir and Teyla.

Now that is interesting one of the first things I did after the McKay *Thunk* of course, when I joined was try and find a McKay/Shepp shipp, not a discuss a real Shipper.

Someone here and sorry I really don't remember who, early days no idea who I was posting with, said no this is PG it wouldn't fly. So do they have to be hetero?

In my defence at bringing this up it is 2.18am where I am and silly things do start to go through your head at that time.:rolleyes:

Lord Zedd
July 6th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Sometimes it can grow ugly in threads !! Not only with shippers but also threads that allready have been made before. Then you sometimes read: "go to that link there is allready a thread like this :mad: . When I read something like this I think oke so you allready have seen and posted in such a thread but the newbies in here haven't so let them post away.

Or perhaps threads where somebody comes up with a thaught: hey Jesus, an Ancient or Goa'uld or Harsesis, God an Ancient ?? Now these went really ugly most of the time. hehe imagine sg.1 meets god and they report back. "I am God" When they go back to Earth. General Hammond (or who ever is in command) we met God !I also remember that the anti-chaya thread went way out of control and that it had to be closed. So my advice to the entire world: a bit of tolerance

strivaria
July 6th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Now that is interesting one of the first things I did after the McKay *Thunk* of course, when I joined was try and find a McKay/Shepp shipp, not a discuss a real Shipper.
:

You mean a thread for McKay/Sheppard slash? Yeah, there is one right here (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=8029). It's been abandoned for a while... but it exists.

iLemon
July 6th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Sometimes it can grow ugly in threads !! Not only with shippers but also threads that allready have been made before. Then you sometimes read: "go to that link there is allready a thread like this :mad: . When I read something like this I think oke so you allready have seen and posted in such a thread but the newbies in here haven't so let them post away.

Or perhaps threads where somebody comes up with a thaught: hey Jesus, an Ancient or Goa'uld or Harsesis, God an Ancient ?? Now these went really ugly most of the time. hehe imagine sg.1 meets god and they report back. "I am God" When they go back to Earth. General Hammond (or who ever is in command) we met God !I also remember that the anti-chaya thread went way out of control and that it had to be closed. So my advice to the entire world: a bit of tolerance

That would really be nice. I'm getting really sick of people getting angry or yelling for nothing, and people who cant understand the meaning behind a joke.
I dont get mad because my favourite ship doesnt happen, infact I've learned to live with it. The writers cant make every shipper happy! It's damn near impossible!
There's a reason these ships happen so people need to learn to accept them because there's nothing they can do about it.

Porthos1013
July 6th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Okay, I feel like I kind of need to remind everyone why I started this thread, before it just becomes a venting/complaining thread. (Yes, I realize I am not a mod and therefore have no real power, but just hear me out.) I didn't start this thread with the purpose of complaining and venting frustrations about how people on this forum may irk us. I started it so that we can all take a step back, and talk about why we tolerate or even enjoy people who don't think like us. I realize this is a very, very fine line, so it's easy to cross, but I really don't want this to turn into a negativity thread. I'd like to get some good discussion going about why we as a fandom should value other people's viewpoints, and how we can resolve (or at least ignore) the conflict.

yasureubetcha
July 6th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Personally, I know none of my 'ships are going to happen. That's a main reason why I love them :p.
And I'm pretty much anti anything involving more than one main character, but I'm not going to gnaw people's heads off over it. I have lurked in threads dedicated to pairings I'd never endorse (probably out of curiosity), and far from being bothered, I found myself laughing out loud at some of their jokes, captions, etc. Most of my friends here have at least one pairing on which we differ strongly, but we laugh about it. I argue against certain 'ships (though not in their 'shipper threads, obviously) for the same reason I endorse others: because I enjoy doing so. If either ever became more than harmless fun between people who respect each other, then the whole idea would be pointless, as far as I'm concerned.

A thing about "weird" 'ships, though: most of us honestly aren't there just to increase our post counts, or as some kind of green-sharing thing. It seems like that's what a lot of people think, but really most of us 'ship weird stuff because it's fun and creative, or any number of other legitimate reasons. Probably a lot of the same reasons anybody else 'ships, actually, except we don't have nearly so much interference from that pesky "canon" stuff ;).

Madeleine
July 6th, 2005, 10:50 AM
At the risk of appearing naive, I'd prefer to ask the question, "Don't we all just get along?"

I haven't noticed this 'bad blood'. I saw it every now and again in the past, but now I'd say that it's pretty much fine. Even when it isn't, it's hardly pitched battles between T/S and W/S shippers, or flaming wars between S/Jers and noromos. If there's flaming it's just the occasional troll, being irritating - and every type of thread is liable to get those, not just ship-related ones. mostly we're getting friendly and civil discussion.

I think that we're doing okay. The regulars are not fighting over ship... unless I'm missing something big.

I think we *are* all getting along.

oragans
July 6th, 2005, 10:56 AM
i ain't a shipper but i have no problem with them, you can do what you like i don't see how in any way it can offend a non-shipper. So i say keep on shipping and if someone has problem with it just ignore.

And i do get angry if someone gets angry at me for no reason - i would just like them to sy what there problem and i will either agree with or meet a common ground but it is those few that just take it too far over a little like someone giving me a red for saying cool in a thread because i thought it was really interesting point that they were saying. But oh well i have dribbled on now - SHIPPERS RULE - NON-SHIPPERS RULE

FoolishPleasure
July 6th, 2005, 12:00 PM
A thing about "weird" 'ships, though: most of us honestly aren't there just to increase our post counts, or as some kind of green-sharing thing. It seems like that's what a lot of people think, but really most of us 'ship weird stuff because it's fun and creative, or any number of other legitimate reasons. Probably a lot of the same reasons anybody else 'ships, actually, except we don't have nearly so much interference from that pesky "canon" stuff ;).
I rather like the "weird" ships. . .especially during the desert known as "hiatus". If I've had a bad day at work, or hubby is irritating me, I'll go to the Sam/Thor Ship thread and split a gut laughing. Its all in fun and there have been a lot of very creative pics and ideas posted. I love that thread!

The weirdest "ship" I've seen is Beckett/Chair ship - didn't last long, but it was hysterically funny while it lasted. So the "weird" ship threads do serve a purpose of sorts. I like 'em. . .even the Ba'al/Anyone "ships". :D

Seshat
July 6th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Okay, I feel like I kind of need to remind everyone why I started this thread, before it just becomes a venting/complaining thread. (Yes, I realize I am not a mod and therefore have no real power, but just hear me out.) I didn't start this thread with the purpose of complaining and venting frustrations about how people on this forum may irk us. I started it so that we can all take a step back, and talk about why we tolerate or even enjoy people who don't think like us. I realize this is a very, very fine line, so it's easy to cross, but I really don't want this to turn into a negativity thread. I'd like to get some good discussion going about why we as a fandom should value other people's viewpoints, and how we can resolve (or at least ignore) the conflict.
That's easy! Treat other posters' opinions the way you'd like your own to be treated, with respect and tolerance. :D It's incredible simple. And the best way to deal with unwelcome conflict here? Ignore it. Paying any kind of attention to it just feeds it. Which is usually what the poster who started it wants. ;)

Purpleyin
July 6th, 2005, 05:04 PM
I rather like the "weird" ships. . .especially during the desert known as "hiatus". If I've had a bad day at work, or hubby is irritating me, I'll go to the Sam/Thor Ship thread and split a gut laughing. Its all in fun and there have been a lot of very creative pics and ideas posted. I love that thread!

The weirdest "ship" I've seen is Beckett/Chair ship - didn't last long, but it was hysterically funny while it lasted. So the "weird" ship threads do serve a purpose of sorts. I like 'em. . .even the Ba'al/Anyone "ships". :D
I don't think Beckett/Chair has gone away just yet - seen 2 more fics for it lately. :D And Ba'al/Wall etc, I've had the most fun with all those ships. It gets crazy but at least when it's never going to be on the show you know no one can really get stressed about it... hopefully.

Anyway, on the matter of shippers getting along there was this thread For ALL Atlantis Shippers (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?p=453614&highlight=atlantis+shippers#post453614) and there's also The ship discussion (http://http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?p=4306514&highlight=atlantis+shippers#post4306514) thread. The first one did get to having plenty of civilised discussion on Atlantis ships but sort of petered off a while ago, and the second one is ship discussion in general just like the title implies. :)

TechnoWraith
July 6th, 2005, 05:18 PM
I never really got into "shipping," mostly because my quirky sense of humor can be taken the wrong way sometimes. One thing i don't want to do is upset everyone due to a misunderstanding. I'm not against shipping in anyway. But i will admit that some people have a tendency to take their shipping very seriously - almost to the point where a light hearted joke is seen as an insult to a particular ship.

But truth be told, when i first joined GW, i had no clue what "Shipping" was. I actually thought the Ship threads were about spaceships. Until i actually ventured in one and found out what it was really about. ;)

Shipperahoy
July 6th, 2005, 05:35 PM
The weirdest "ship" I've seen is Beckett/Chair ship -

What was so wierd about Beckett/Chair ship? That ship was as plain as the nose on my face. We all saw the yearning looks, the way he just fit into that chair, the posessive stroking of the armrest...who could possibly say that that didn't exist? :D

Skydiver
July 6th, 2005, 05:45 PM
jack and bowl is pretty popular

it even has its own website ;)

TechnoWraith
July 6th, 2005, 05:48 PM

Ohhhh.... Do tell us this web address. ;) :D

ShadowMaat
July 6th, 2005, 06:10 PM
I think tolerance in general is needed, not just an "understanding" between shippers and non-shippers.

It seems to me as if anyone who expresses a negative viewpoint- or a viewpoint which is contrary to "general consensus"- winds up getting bashed for it. Not necessarily to the point where intervention is needed by the Mods, but people are definitely belittled and put down for speaking their mind.

Gateworld has a wonderfully open-minded policy when it comes to freedom of speech... unfortunately there are a number of individuals out there who would rather see all opposing thought suppressed and the dissenters banned for life from Gateworld. That is hardly the way to invite any intelligent sort of conversation.

HOWEVER... while freedom of speech and exchanging of opinions are great and wonderful things... there is also a time and a place for them, and those times and places are not on protected threads.

Shippers have to deal with antis coming in and attacking them and condemning ship.

Antis have to deal with shippers coming in and attacking them and condemning anti-ship.

I've lost count of the number of times the anti-S9 thread has been invaded by pro-minded people who stedfastedly refuse to allow the thread to exist in peace without informing us all of what a miserly, close-minded and generally stupid group of people we are for daring NOT to be excited about the upcoming season and I'm sure the pro-S9 thread has had its share of anti-S9 ranters.

I would like to be able to express my opinion here without fear of repercussion. Most of the time, I can. Unfortunately, there are a few times where I can't and there are a few people who make it virtually impossible for me to speak freely without being ridiculed. THAT is the kind of attitude I would like to see eliminated.

No one viewpoint is better than another. No one group is "right" and NO ONE, other than a Mod, should be allowed to tell people to leave the board. Just because YOU don't like something, just because YOU disagree, it doesn't mean you're the Lord High God of Gateworld and can declare who lives and who dies.

EVERYONE has the right to express their opinions (as long as those opinions aren't hurting anyone) and NO ONE should be condemned for what they say.

And yet... despite multiple warnings, people keep coming into the anti-S9 thread to tell us we're wrong.

And yet... people keep digging into the shipper thread and telling them THEY'RE wrong.

And yet... people who says anything remotely negative about the show gets ostracized, criticized and dismissed.

Where does it end? When everyone has the exact same opinion and thinks the exact same things about the exact same issues? When no one posts anything contrary? When no one admits they have a problem with something? When no one thinks outside the box? Thanks, but no thanks. That isn't my kind of forum and I won't see Gateworld driven to that kind of psychotically narrow-minded behavior, no matter HOW many try and force it on others.

I say what I think and I don't give a damn if anyone approves of my opinion or not. I am posting to SHARE my feelings with the Gateworld community and if you don't like what I have to say, you can bloody well put me on your ignore list because I am NOT about to shut up- I have just as much right as everyone else to be here and whatever YOU may think, I still consider myself to be a Stargate fan. And frak all who dare to tell me what I think or who try to tell me who I am.

Lord Zedd
July 7th, 2005, 01:53 AM
wow shadowmaat you should be a speech writter :D :D but what you said is indeed true. Everybody has a right and may share his/ her opinion to the gateworld community. They don't have to agree with the opinion but just have respect for it,even if is something totally different

oragans
July 7th, 2005, 07:09 AM
I also agree a 100% with shadowmaat.

FoolishPleasure
July 7th, 2005, 07:23 AM

I must admit. . .I posted to "Beckett/Chair". ;)

. . but I never heard of Jack/Bowl. *ROTFLMAO*

Good to see Shadow back in fine form. It gets downright boring around here when she is gone for too long. :D

Frostfox
July 7th, 2005, 11:34 AM
I must admit. . .I posted to "Beckett/Chair". ;)

. . but I never heard of Jack/Bowl. *ROTFLMAO*

Good to see Shadow back in fine form. It gets downright boring around here when she is gone for too long. :D

There's Daniel/Rock as well...

Danny Wuvs his Rock

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/frostfox/74.jpg

FF, easily amused, evidently

Porthos1013
July 7th, 2005, 11:40 AM
LOL! Oh, my goodness, this thread has taken a mighty turn into insanity, hasn't it? :rolleyes:

I must admit, I'm a Checkett (Beckett/Chair) supporter. There's even a C2 community on ff.net about it! ;) It's just so lovably absurd. Although I haven't had the guts to venture into the Sam/Thor or Ba'al/Everything threads. What's great about the absurd ships is that no one can argue with them, really, because they're just too funny. :p

ToasterOnFire
July 7th, 2005, 12:52 PM
*cough*

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/smart_p3anut/coffee9ry.jpg

:D

I do think that the antishippers and shippers, various "competing" ships on Atlantis (and I use competing extremely loosely, as I'd like to think we're not really competing for anything), and the pro and anti-s9 fans get along quite well, considering. Granted there are always those who seem to enjoy stirring the pot but at least they are few and far between and generally can be identified and ignored as needed.

And like Technowraith, I didn't really know what "shipping" was until I stopped in here and became a full convert. Now whenever I purchase anything online and they ask about shipping I sometimes have to stop from immediately trying to select my ship of choice. :D

Porthos1013
July 7th, 2005, 03:39 PM
*cough*

I do think that the antishippers and shippers, various "competing" ships on Atlantis (and I use competing extremely loosely, as I'd like to think we're not really competing for anything), and the pro and anti-s9 fans get along quite well, considering. Granted there are always those who seem to enjoy stirring the pot but at least they are few and far between and generally can be identified and ignored as needed.

And like Technowraith, I didn't really know what "shipping" was until I stopped in here and became a full convert. Now whenever I purchase anything online and they ask about shipping I sometimes have to stop from immediately trying to select my ship of choice. :D
:D LOL! And I love the McKay/Coffee smilie! (I love it so much I stole it! Mwahaha!)

I think I agree that for the most part, we all do get along extremely well. I think it's just a few people who are disrespectful, and I think I was just really fed up with them when I started this thread. In any case, I'm glad that we have so many fans on this board that are willing to put their differences aside and come together for our love of Stargate! You guys all rock! :p

Lida
July 9th, 2005, 10:36 AM
*cough*

ROFL

Thanks for the laugh. I was a late comer to "shipping" too....however, I usually go with the standard, over the Express. I've gotten used to long waits, like how long have we been waiting for the new seasons of SG-1 and SGA to begin? :D ;)

And Portos, insanity is highly under rated. :rolleyes:

As for the thread topic, let's see. I think, considering everything, people are now seeing an end to the "looooooooooong and winding road", and the "flame" wars are definitely on the decline, so, I think we are getting along better, shippers and non-shippers alike. Nice, isn't it? :) Now, let's hope it lasts!